The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 3 March 2017, 06:48 AM   #31
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
Right there with you friends--no kids. Vino, watches, cars, dogs, travel...ah, freedom

Seth I think you need that M3 too LOL
Yeah, who am I kidding. I think so too.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2017, 07:57 AM   #32
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Beautiful picture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolCavendish View Post
Getting away from cars for a moment, imagine having purchased an Apple Lisa/II/MacIntosh (at full price) 'back in the day' vs a Rolex. In retrospect, a no brainer from the standpoint of overall value retention and future usefulness.

BTW, nice shot Abdullah. Very bucolic and peaceful in its own right.
Thanks guys.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2017, 08:19 AM   #33
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
I like this thread. Reminds me of one of my cycling buddy's who used to transport his five bikes worth 60k in the back of his old Toyota worth 6k...... its all about priorities people. On this forum there are some who are well off and some who are not. Some who buy because its their passion and others who buy because they can. And yes, buying a Rolex is a better use of money any day of the week than a new car especially if you finance which the vast majority of people do. Period. That is unless you're an AMG enthusiast and have to have an S65..... or maybe you don't want the car but instead a crazy McIntosh (spelt wrong I think) laced sound system that only people with 10000 pieces of vinyl will appreciate. I'm jumping on my soapbox but threads people create bring out a bit of the differences in the contributors to this forum. So.....not everyone is a car guy, a boat guy, a foodie, a movie buff, or a collector of fine stamps.... but we are all watch nuts. Yet it's many of the the differences that make the forum awesome. So instead of ragging on those differences, learn from them.
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2017, 09:18 AM   #34
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

This thread is what makes the world go round! I love all the finer things in life... but, my wife and children are my everything. I wish I was younger to have more kids! I'm in my mid 40s and my wife is barely over 30. Lol. We have 3 kids and my wife Wants more! Lol. I'm too old, maybe I will try and buy her a new Porsche. Lol
rolexgiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2017, 09:33 AM   #35
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airchitect View Post
I like this thread. Reminds me of one of my cycling buddy's who used to transport his five bikes worth 60k in the back of his old Toyota worth 6k...... its all about priorities people. On this forum there are some who are well off and some who are not. Some who buy because its their passion and others who buy because they can. And yes, buying a Rolex is a better use of money any day of the week than a new car especially if you finance which the vast majority of people do. Period. That is unless you're an AMG enthusiast and have to have an S65..... or maybe you don't want the car but instead a crazy McIntosh (spelt wrong I think) laced sound system that only people with 10000 pieces of vinyl will appreciate. I'm jumping on my soapbox but threads people create bring out a bit of the differences in the contributors to this forum. So.....not everyone is a car guy, a boat guy, a foodie, a movie buff, or a collector of fine stamps.... but we are all watch nuts. Yet it's many of the the differences that make the forum awesome. So instead of ragging on those differences, learn from them.

Has there been any "ragging" in this thread?

I ask only because I really like what I think is your message.

And also Curious why buying a Rolex is a better use of your money? Wouldn't that statement sort of contradict what you are saying?

If I'm going down that rabbit hole, most any luxury item is a poor way to spend money.

Old 3 March 2017, 09:57 AM   #36
airchitect
"TRF" Member

I think the point is to respect what everyone finds important and not feel the need to push what you believe down someone's throat. Usually see most of that kinda thing in the "should I finance" or "how do you pay" threads. Hell by the time I get done reading them I feel like a loser because I didn't pay cash for everything I have. But I digress. The point is, do what you wanna do, live how you wanna live, be into whatever you think is great, and help others do the same.
Old 3 March 2017, 09:59 AM   #37
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Oh and I think my watches are now worth more than my daily drive...since its depreciated so much Ha!
Old 3 March 2017, 10:11 AM   #38
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airchitect View Post
I think the point is to respect what everyone finds important and not feel the need to push what you believe down someone's throat. Usually see most of that kinda thing in the "should I finance" or "how do you pay" threads. Hell by the time I get done reading them I feel like a loser because I didn't pay cash for everything I have. But I digress. The point is, do what you wanna do, live how you wanna live, be into whatever you think is great, and help others do the same.
I could not agree more.

And a sentiment I am truly doing my best to live by.

Ultimately, each person has their own agenda and that agenda can also change. To each their own.

Old 3 March 2017, 10:35 AM   #39
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
My sweet ride. Picked it up last week!

SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2017, 10:54 AM   #40
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

I see no issues with having a watch or collection of watches that is as much or many times more than one's car.

I've always thought of myself as a car guy, but I dream of living in a place where cars are not necessary.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2017, 10:57 AM   #41
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
I strongly disagree, never lost money on a boat.
You might be the exception.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2017, 11:15 AM   #42
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer View Post
no offense but this is pretty narrow minded

not everyone is a car enthusiast...for someone who isn't a mercedes or BMW provides no benefit over a honda or ford

my watch costs more than a lot of things that an enthusiast in a given area would prefer to spend the money on...clothes, PC equipment, sports gear...but i choose to spend the money on the watch and just buy the utilitarian option for all those other things
There is nothing wrong having a car that's worth less than a watch, honestly that's smarter. Yet having one that is solid yellow gold is a statement. Yellow is LOUD and is yelling HERE I AM. Usually people who prefer to be low key but like nice things tend to go SS,WG, or PT.
DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2017, 11:19 AM   #43
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeTee View Post
There is nothing wrong having a car that's worth less than a watch, honestly that's smarter. Yet having one that is solid yellow gold is a statement. Yellow is LOUD and is yelling HERE I AM. Usually people who prefer to be low key but like nice things tend to go SS,WG, or PT.
Maybe but people wear loud michael kors watches that are yellow gold color. No one, other than enthusiats, know the difference.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 3 March 2017, 11:22 AM   #44
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
You might be the exception.
I never lost money selling a boat. Owning boats is another story.
Old 3 March 2017, 11:46 AM   #45
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
I never lost money selling a boat. Owning boats is another story.
You and mon with the semantics

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 3 March 2017, 12:14 PM   #46
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
My sweet ride. Picked it up last week!

No car for me, either. I'm a man of the people
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2017, 12:48 PM   #47
Ally9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeTee View Post
I'm pretty confused here.
What would posses you to buy such a flashy watch and be comfortable driving an econobox? There is nothing wrong with driving a low key car, but why would you wear such a loud watch to go with it?
]\

I'm guessing the OP is having a satirical dig at the "is my car and watch in balance" brigade but in any case i find your question strange. Whether or not budget or lifestyle choice is the answer I wasn't aware of any need to have your car and watch match in colour, value or for that matter anything else.

Its incredibly subjective but I do sit and wonder how we get off the watch topic so easy on TRF.

Buy what you like, no one really cares if its in balance with your car, degree, shoes, wallet or wife and kids
Ally9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2017, 12:50 PM   #48
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by JES77 View Post
I guess I never thought about what statement my car or watch make. I drive a 2009 Volvo station wagon because it's safe and convenient. I wear a SD4K because I like the watch and it can hold up to my daily wear and tear. If anyone sees either and thinks anything else I would not be able to care less. I certainly don't feel the need to go upgrade my car because of my watch or wear a different watch because I'm driving my car.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2017, 01:10 PM   #49
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
exactly he same situation. no kids. I am sure I am missing out...but I don't know what I am missing. And I am having boat loads (or car loads) of fun...

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but my latest plan was to get the wife a Macan S and then an M3 for me at the beginning of the summer once I have saved up enough funds. However, she just flipped that decided she wants a 718 boxter. Who am I to argue with her???

And now I am thinking I don't need the M3.....so I need a new plan.
If your wife wants a 718 you married the right woman

Forget the m3. You'll be relegated to driving the lesser ride

The boxster/cayman platform is a scalpel designed to carve the roads we have access to. The m3 is better suited to high speed autobahn runs.

My advice, worth nothing which is exactly what I'm charging, snag a 911 or cayman/boxster and get the wife a macan.

Having owned a 991 and a f80, I'd take a 718 or 991 any day over an m3.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2017, 05:08 PM   #50
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
I need a drink. This is too complicated
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Formulansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2017, 08:58 PM   #51
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post

The boxster/cayman platform is a scalpel designed to carve the roads we have access to. The m3 is better suited to high speed autobahn runs.

My advice, worth nothing which is exactly what I'm charging, snag a 911 or cayman/boxster and get the wife a macan.

That's interesting. Ive heard and read great things about the 718, but this is a super endorsement. Truth is I'm very happy in my X5 50i. The M3 was going to be a weekender and something I could try getting to the track. But with her getting a 718, and me driving it when we are together, it could likely kill two birds with one stone.

Either way, I'd have to save for the M3, so it would not be till summer anyway. Likely, by then I'll have had 20 more ideas. But it does give me time to feel out the situation and see what the best path will be.

Appreciate the feedback.

Old 3 March 2017, 09:12 PM   #52
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally9 View Post
]\

I'm guessing the OP is having a satirical dig at the "is my car and watch in balance" brigade but in any case i find your question strange. Whether or not budget or lifestyle choice is the answer I wasn't aware of any need to have your car and watch match in colour, value or for that matter anything else.

Its incredibly subjective but I do sit and wonder how we get off the watch topic so easy on TRF.

Buy what you like, no one really cares if its in balance with your car, degree, shoes, wallet or wife and kids

Well, to be fair, going off topic is a bit of a human trait. It happens.

Besides, this is a general discussion area. Likely this would be right on track if it started in the Rolex specific forum.

Old 3 March 2017, 09:14 PM   #53
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post

Quote:
That's interesting. Ive heard and read great things about the 718, but this is a super endorsement. Truth is I'm very happy in my X5 50i. The M3 was going to be a weekender and something I could try getting to the track. But with her getting a 718, and me driving it when we are together, it could likely kill two birds with one stone.

Either way, I'd have to save for the M3, so it would not be till summer anyway. Likely, by then I'll have had 20 more ideas. But it does give me time to feel out the situation and see what the best path will be.

Appreciate the feedback.
You guys will need a Richard Mille in your collection so that you have a watch worth more than your car.
Old 3 March 2017, 09:16 PM   #54
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
I used to have 3 watches worth more than my car, then i sold two of those watches and I upgraded my car, now my car is worth more than my watch, this is the journey of life. In 5 years it might be the other way around again.
zama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2017, 09:33 PM   #55
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
My 2014 S550 and my two DD II's. I guess they add up retail to about the same. If not I have 9 other watches they put it over the top. My issues is not price it is use.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170302_103201.jpg (139.6 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg 20161024_105233.jpg (70.9 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0051.jpg (93.7 KB, 97 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2017, 10:34 PM   #56
returntorolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Jackie Stewart DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
My 2014 S550 and my two DD II's. I guess they add up retail to about the same. If not I have 9 other watches they put it over the top. My issues is not price it is use.
Great balance!
Old 3 March 2017, 10:41 PM   #57
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by returntorolex View Post
Great balance!
heck yeah.

nice balance indeed.

Old 3 March 2017, 11:00 PM   #58
Star Ferry
Banned

Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2017, 11:02 PM   #59
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
I don't get having such a mismatch. You have a high end watch and an entry level car. Is that car a choice or a sacrifice because you bought the watch? IMO, that's like wearing $2000 shoes with a $250 suit

I like more balance
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2017, 11:24 PM   #60
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr-nyc View Post
I don't get having such a mismatch. You have a high end watch and an entry level car. Is that car a choice or a sacrifice because you bought the watch? IMO, that's like wearing $2000 shoes with a $250 suit

I like more balance
Why is having a practical car a mismatch?