The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 30 October 2008, 11:01 AM   #31
KJacques
"TRF" Member

Watch: the skies
You cannot go wrong if you stay with either Canon or Nikon. They are both great systems to shoot with. If it were my choice in that price range, I would buy the Nikon D40 without a second thought. Great build quality, superior ergonomics...your fingers fall where they need to without stretching or reaching at odd angles to make adjustments while your eye is to the viewfinder, and incredible color and image quality. If I were thinking about a point and shoot, I would go Canon because I like the way the pictures look coming out of the camera, but I prefer the color settings with the Nikon DSLR.

They all take good pictures, but what's important is how it helps you to take those pictures and how the camera feels in your hand. It's only a tool to your vision. I thought I had some pics I'd taken with a D40 to show a real world example, but found some with a D70s which is very similar, although I think the D40 pics look better.

Both these photos are highly compressed and quality suffers. This one is shot at 500 ISO handheld with color set to favor the sunset.

This one is 200 ISO and color set to favor the skin tones on a overcast winter's day.

KJacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2008, 11:07 AM   #32
Ashley
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the pictures, KJacques I love how crisp and clear the second shot is!
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2008, 01:43 PM   #33
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
Thanks for the pictures, KJacques I love how crisp and clear the second shot is!
Yes the second shot is very nice, very nice indeed.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2008, 02:04 PM   #34
vh_bu98
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum YM
Pumpkins

Since it's October, how about some pumpkins?

This was shot with my old Nikon D200 with the 70-200mm f/2.8 lens.

vh_bu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2008, 02:09 PM   #35
gtbike72
"TRF" Member

hi Ashley besides Canon and Nikon I was very impressed with the E510 made by Olympus, very user-friendly on their menu set up. I was very happy with it and the quality of pictures I took with it that I purchased their flagship the E3. I also belong to another forum similar to this one dedicated to Olympus cameras and the members there are very friendly and very helpful and they also have a buy and sell section. it's called the 4/3 forum http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/

this is the review that made me going into Olympus http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/showthread.php?t=26786

anyways I hope this is helpful and you pick the right camera.
Old 30 October 2008, 02:15 PM   #36
vh_bu98
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum YM
Or maybe something that will remind you of Canada.

Nikon D300 with the 24-70mm f/2.8 lens.

vh_bu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2008, 02:36 PM   #37
Irish Dan
"TRF" Member

What ever you get, Ashley, I hope we can look forward to
some more over the knees shots.

Irish Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2008, 04:19 PM   #38
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

I think before any creditable advice can be given, what do you intend taking with the new camera? You also say you will use it everyday so does weight and size play a part? Don't forget that to get the best out of the camera you will need some good software and that can also prove to be expensive. The standard, Photoshop runs into hundreds of dollars. There are some cheaper software programmes out there such as Nikon's NX which is very good but I'd say the most powerful package is Photoshop.

Member #10
Old 30 October 2008, 04:40 PM   #39
Ashley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle-AJ View Post
I think before any creditable advice can be given, what do you intend taking with the new camera? You also say you will use it everyday so does weight and size play a part? Don't forget that to get the best out of the camera you will need some good software and that can also prove to be expensive. The standard, Photoshop runs into hundreds of dollars. There are some cheaper software programmes out there such as Nikon's NX which is very good but I'd say the most powerful package is Photoshop.
I work in a studio as a family photographer, and they use a Canon. My personal DSLR will be mostly for nature shots, because I am forever lamenting at the inferior quality of my point and shoot digital camera.
I also plan on using it as being a shadow photographer for weddings to build up a portfolio of my work, but that will come when I am not doing school as well.
I have Photoshop CS2, as well as ImageReady CS2. I think Aadil has CS3 for me somewhere, but CS2 is good for what I use it for. (That said, I'm no expert at using the program and wish I could do the things that I've seen people do on this forum!)
Old 30 October 2008, 04:41 PM   #40
Ashley
"TRF" Member

And thanks for the different photos, guys! I love them!
Old 30 October 2008, 05:09 PM   #41
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

With a new camera you will need to go with CS3 as CS2 is no longer supported and probably won't open the RAW files of the new cameras. For nature shots I'd try to get a camera with a high pixel count. I'm a Nikon fan but I moved to them purely for convenience, Canon are not as well supported out here. Both are excellent cameras as is the Sony and Fuji, I'd say the final choice will be up to you. Go to a camera shop that stocks all makes and try them out in your hand to see which has the easiest controls and the one you feel most comfortable with. Don't worry too much about lenses as there are lots of alternative makers such as Tamron and Sigma that make excellent lenses. Do you have a budget?

Member #10
Old 30 October 2008, 05:18 PM   #42
Ashley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
With a new camera you will need to go with CS3 as CS2 is no longer supported and probably won't open the RAW files of the new cameras. For nature shots I'd try to get a camera with a high pixel count. I'm a Nikon fan but I moved to them purely for convenience, Canon are not as well supported out here. Both are excellent cameras as is the Sony and Fuji, I'd say the final choice will be up to you. Go to a camera shop that stocks all makes and try them out in your hand to see which has the easiest controls and the one you feel most comfortable with. Don't worry too much about lenses as there are lots of alternative makers such as Tamron and Sigma that make excellent lenses. Do you have a budget?
Thanks for your help, Adrian. I'm not wanting to go too expensive, as it is a Christmas present after all Probably around $1000. And I can always buy lenses afterwards, which is good. I'd really like a macro lens!
Old 30 October 2008, 05:22 PM   #43
GBJIV
"TRF" Member

Personally, I love Canon. I just bought the 50D. So far, I love it. The Xsi appears to be a great as well.

That being said. It's tough to argue that Nikon is not phenomenal also. Take your time and get the best you can get.

Also, I like buying from http://www.bhphotovideo.com

DP Review has good reviews as well if not already mentioned - http://www.dpreview.com/

Good Luck!
Old 30 October 2008, 05:27 PM   #44
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for your help, Adrian. I'm not wanting to go too expensive, as it is a Christmas present after all Probably around $1000. And I can always buy lenses afterwards, which is good. I'd really like a macro lens!
If you are thinking of doing insects, I'd go for a 90mm or 100mm macro lens. You don't have to get as close to the insects as you would with a 50mm so there's less chance of frightening them off.

This was taken with a Nikon D200 and Nikon 105mm Macro VR lens. (I forgot to mention, this is hand held.)

Member #10
Old 30 October 2008, 06:06 PM   #45
swatty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Game
Hi Ashley,
I'm have 2 Panasonic Lumix Camera's. They have a Leica fix lense that gives optical zoom equivalent to 432mm DSLR lense without the need to change lenses. The latter model the FZ8 also has image stabilisation and 7.2mp. They are certainly worth checking out and are great value for money
swatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2008, 06:18 PM   #46
2careless
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
I took this last weekend with Nikon D90, 1/20s, F/4, on a 18-55 VR lens, handheld, and did some postprocessing using Nikon's NXCapture 2 software.

Macro:
Same lens, on tripod, posted here before.
2careless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2008, 11:25 PM   #47
KJacques
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm not wanting to go too expensive, as it is a Christmas present after all Probably around $1000. And I can always buy lenses afterwards, which is good. I'd really like a macro lens!
Looking at new cameras is a lot of fun! I always go and handle everything because they all do things differently. Some cameras are great for one thing, like landscapes and nature photography, but aren't good at taking pictures of people (especially fast moving children) or sports and vice versa. I've stuck with Nikon because I can still use all the old manual nikon lenses that I love.

Since you said $1000, I would take a serious look at the Nikon D90. It has incredible metering, color ability, auto focus and is honestly probably as good a picture taker as my D300. In fact, the pictures will look as good if not better than the D300. You even get HD video recording! I haven't shot with a D90 yet, but these D300 pictures can give you an idea.

Old 30 October 2008, 11:31 PM   #48
KJacques
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If you are thinking of doing insects, I'd go for a 90mm or 100mm macro lens. You don't have to get as close to the insects as you would with a 50mm so there's less chance of frightening them off.

This was taken with a Nikon D200 and Nikon 105mm Macro VR lens. (I forgot to mention, this is hand held.)

That is a great picture! I've never shot with that lens, but it seems nice and you obviously make good use of it.
Old 31 October 2008, 12:13 AM   #49
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJacques View Post
That is a great picture! I've never shot with that lens, but it seems nice and you obviously make good use of it.
Thanks for the comment. I like the lens a lot and now use it on a D300. The picture below of a violet carpenter bee was taken with that setup, again it's hand held.

Member #10
Old 31 October 2008, 01:04 AM   #50
KJacques
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the comment. I like the lens a lot and now use it on a D300. The picture below of a violet carpenter bee was taken with that setup, again it's hand held.

I like that pic even better. That is a wild looking bee! Unbelievable.
Old 31 October 2008, 02:36 AM   #51
SirLoki
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
for the $1000 budget

pick up a Nikon d40 + kit lens and another good prime lens (sigma 30mm f/1.4)

or

if you want Canon get a refurbished 30d and pick up a Canon 28mm f/1.8 and a Canon 50mm f/1.8

both packs should be within your price range and will be more than enough for you.

im a believer in the old Canon bodies still being very capable. I personally would rather have a semi-pro body in a Canon then any current rebel body.

RIP JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
The best bastidization I've ever seen on TRF!!
SirLoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2008, 02:41 AM   #52
SirLoki
"TRF" Member

although if your looking for a "do it all" lens

look into the Tamron 28-300mm VC f/3.5-6.3

i personally am not a big fan of these types of lenses but this lens rocks especially when traveling.

its available in Canon and Nikon mount

RIP JJ

Quote:
Old 31 October 2008, 02:47 AM   #53
SirLoki
"TRF" Member

i used my trusty Canon EOS 1D-Mark II (bought new back in 2004) and Tamron 28-300 VC Lens (this is a perfect lens for sneaking in to events since at 28mm the lens is only 4 inches long, at the staples center they dont allow lenses over 4 inches long or so)

heres some pictures from the NBA last season Lakers vs. Jazz

all shots were at 800-1600 ISO no flash and 350-500 shutter speed

the first pic is where i was sitting at 28mm

and the other pics were taken at 300mm with the lens all the way out

RIP JJ

Quote:
Old 31 October 2008, 03:05 AM   #54
Ashley
"TRF" Member

You guys are all so helpful, thank you so much! And I love love love all of the photos you guys are posting, and thanks for telling me what type of lenses you used!
Clearly this is not a quick decision
Old 31 October 2008, 03:18 AM   #55
Ashley
"TRF" Member

Adrian, what type of lens do you use for your bird photography? Those shots are always beautiful.
Old 31 October 2008, 05:38 AM   #56
2careless
"TRF" Member

Adrian, that 105mm macro lens is superb! How far away from that bee shot was the camera? approx 1.5m?
KJacques, what portrait lens did you use? I like the polygon bokehs. Would it be the 105 mm DC lens?
Old 31 October 2008, 06:31 AM   #57
KJacques
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You guys are all so helpful, thank you so much! And I love love love all of the photos you guys are posting, and thanks for telling me what type of lenses you used!
Clearly this is not a quick decision
I'm enjoying this thread and all the pictures myself. I'm not an equipment geek, but I love cameras and how they allow you to express your vision through them. Select a camera through the lens system you want to use. I like using some of the superb manual focus lenses from Nikon that I can pick up pretty cheap through ebay. I wish that Canon had done similar to Nikon and you could continue to use some of the great manual lenses they made prior to '81.

I use zoom lenses, but don't care much for them beyond convenience. I prefer prime lenses like Nikon's 24mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8 AF lenses and the 105mm 2.5 and 135mm 2.8. manual focus lenses. The 24mm is a great walking around lens as a digital camera turns it into about a 36mm. The 50mm makes a nice portrait lens also at around 75mm on a digital camera.

The lens I like the most for portraits of people (mostly young because it is too sharp) is the manual focus Nikon 105mm 2.5 AIS. Here are two more examples.

Old 31 October 2008, 06:37 AM   #58
KJacques
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2careless View Post
KJacques, what portrait lens did you use? I like the polygon bokehs. Would it be the 105 mm DC lens?
I use the 105mm AIS manual lens and few of the pics posted was with that lens. The shot I think you're referring to is actually a 50mm 1.4 AF-D. I haven't used the 105mm DC, but I think the bokeh is a lot smoother looking than my 50mm.
Old 31 October 2008, 06:52 AM   #59
Wingshooter
Banned

Be careful with the D60 and D40 from Nikon because I do believe that they are picky with which lenses they can accomidate. I know the D200 D300 D80 D70s they can all take the same lenses from Nikon but the 40 and 60 can not.

Also with the newer D90 your useable ISO is much higher than with the older stuff. Iknow my D70s says is can go to 3200(i think) but anywhere past 800ISO it looks terrible(noisy). The new D90 says it can go to 6400ISO and is useable over 1200ISO which helps conpensate if you are shooting low light and dont have the money for a $1500 lens that shoots at an aperature bigger(smaller f-stop) than f2.8.
Wingshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2008, 07:04 AM   #60
2careless
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJacques View Post
I use the 105mm AIS manual lens and few of the pics posted was with that lens. The shot I think you're referring to is actually a 50mm 1.4 AF-D. I haven't used the 105mm DC, but I think the bokeh is a lot smoother looking than my 50mm.
Thanks mate. Incidentally I ordered the 50mm F1.4D and the 105mm VR macro yesterday. The 50mm is very hot at the moment since Nikon released a G version so the D version is on run out and have to wait. Really looking forward to getting them!

As for old Canon lenses with new DSLR bodies, I think there is a adaptor available (with optics) but you lose 2 f stops