The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 November 2017, 01:26 PM   #31
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikrnic View Post
The largest AD in Michigan is almost out as of 11/12, I went in Friday to look at a 114060, had 4 went back Sunday 2 left and bought 1 for myself, stopped Monday and the last one, display model was gone. They said that's it til nexr year and prices will probably go up since no price increase in 5 yrs.
Also No SDs or GMTs
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 01:49 PM   #32
ckaynyc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gccmd View Post
I went into the same store in NYC in early October. Even then they hardly had an SS sport models.
They rarely do. Just a bunch of DJ and PM
ckaynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 01:59 PM   #33
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

SS Watches are in their vault for premium customers.

If the watches are in the display case they can't discriminate.

If they aren't in the case, then they can discriminate at will...

Buy a DD and see how fast the Sub comes out of the back if you want one...

Clearly not all dealers are doing this. The big chains in the SE are not holding most of the SS stock in vault.. The SS sub is 100% available and ready to go for a walk in (Boca reference above)

BLNR, SD43 and HULK are vaulted, but available.

Daytona and Skydweller are order only for top tier clients

Other dealers are taking Rolex advice and holding all SS stock for top tier clients or whales popping in.

If you visit an AD in the US with no SS stock, move on immediately. It's a sham.. The watches are out there, no reason to play their game.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 02:04 PM   #34
ckaynyc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Watches are in the vault for premium customers.

If the watches are in the display case they can't discriminate.

If they aren't in the case, then they can discriminate at will...

Buy a DD and see how fast the Sub comes out of the back if you want one...
Huh? Wempe’s objective is to move units. Wempe/Rolex is in one of the most revered shopping districts in the World. They can sell Subs all day long. There’s no reason for them to hold it for a preferred customer. A Daytona? Yeah, but they are not holding back SS Subs/GMT/EXP in the vault.
ckaynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 02:10 PM   #35
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I have serious doubts that’s the largest Rolex store by volume. Stock is usually butt cheeks when I stop by.
Old 15 November 2017, 02:12 PM   #36
bluebeamer
"TRF" Member

same thing in singapore. all the ADs have no stocks and grey dealers are taking the opportunity to charge much higher than list price for even a simple black dial sub. crazy!
bluebeamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 02:17 PM   #37
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaynyc View Post
Huh? Wempe’s objective is to move units. Wempe/Rolex is in one of the most revered shopping districts in the World. They can sell Subs all day long. There’s no reason for them to hold it for a preferred customer. A Daytona? Yeah, but they are not holding back SS Subs/GMT/EXP in the vault.
Nope...in the vault.

If this isn't the case, then why wouldn't ROLEX 100% make sure WEMPE had limitless SS Subs since they can sell SUBS all day long?

Why wouldn't this WEMPE NY location have all the stock and places like Boca Raton, FL have no stock since there is much less traffic?

Because, WEMPE WANTS people to buy higher margin pieces and slow movers that wouldn't sell if a Sub was in the case...

Remember most people aren't WIS...so they will buy whatever ROLEX the AD shows them...and in that particular NY, location regardless of the cost.

Why sell Subs when they can sell PM....ALL DAY LONG. Subs are lower margin, puny ticket.

Rolex has suggested dealers do this. There is a memo floating around.

There is zero reason to even bother with this...just go to another dealer that doesn't handle stock this way.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 02:19 PM   #38
stainlesssteve
"TRF" Member

I was at the Rolex store at the Wynn on Friday. They claim to be the largest volume dealer in the US. They're completely out of SS sport models. Said they won't be receiving any more until next year.
Old 15 November 2017, 02:59 PM   #39
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Hmm I was at Royal Maui in fashion valley two weeks ago and visited Ben Bridges also..not stocked at all..slim picking.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 03:35 PM   #40
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Daytona and Skydweller are order only for top tier clients
AD told me this week that Rolex wants SS Daytonas only to go to good, repeat Rolex customers. ?
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 03:39 PM   #41
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainlesssteve View Post
I was at the Rolex store at the Wynn on Friday. They claim to be the largest volume dealer in the US. They're completely out of SS sport models. Said they won't be receiving any more until next year.
I wonder if Rolex holds back SS before Christmas since Christmas is the Rolex-buying season, therefore its easier to push non-SS on people who want any Rolex and are willing to settle for a non-SS model. And, when they do pull out the SS models next year, they sell themselves.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 03:39 PM   #42
BreezyMan
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX DJ 1603
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Hmm I was at Royal Maui in fashion valley two weeks ago and visited Ben Bridges also..not stocked at all..slim picking.
Go up north to the Escondido location and find Tal they got some ss sport models in stock
BreezyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 03:47 PM   #43
OxfordSD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
San Diego stores are well stocked (no SD43 though)
I was coming in to say the same thing. Other than maybe like a Hulk or a Daytona, I’m seeing absolutely no shortage in San Diego.

I went and looked at multiple watches this week and every watch I went and looked at (sub, sub date, milgauss, datejust) were all in stock.
OxfordSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 03:50 PM   #44
OxfordSD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Strange, you must have just missed a shipment as I was also there a few weeks back looking at the Milgauss, Submariner, and the Speedy. The only one they didn’t have in stock was the speedy and told me they could bring one in from their Escondido store by the following day.
OxfordSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 07:28 PM   #45
Sarosh
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
If you have to take a flight to see a SS Rolex that says it all.
Haha Neil so true!
Sarosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 07:58 PM   #46
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
As of last Saturday a few SS sport on display at nearby AD here in SF bay area. I saw GMT, SubC, SubC date, and a bunch of PMs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 10:09 PM   #47
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
My wife and I are trying to buy a car right now.

The dealer has several hundred 2018 models in stock but not the one we want.

Must be a shortage, conspiracy or other tin foil hat reason.

And I was at a local AD this past weekend and they had several Explorers as well as a SD in stock that I could see.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 11:53 PM   #48
SlowhandBuzz
"TRF" Member

JCATT is correct, Atlanta has pretty decent options including spotting a Hulk, BLNR and SD43 in the cases around town recently.

I also saw a few around Charlotte last week.
SlowhandBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 01:11 AM   #49
cm10005
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Hulk Sub
Went to a large AD in Long Island, NY on Monday and not one Submariner or Seadweller. Lots of women's watches though
cm10005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 01:37 AM   #50
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaynyc View Post
Exactly. Last time I went to Wempe inquiring about a white Daytona after I was placed on the list, the lady asked me if I had green Sub. I was wearing the BLNR so they know immediately what other watches someone would be interested in. I turned it down but if she asked me that's because they had one in stock for sure just not on display. They had some SS sports models: 116710LN, Sub Date, Yachtmaster I & II but that was about it. I overheard another salesman with a customer telling him that even if they had 10 BLNRs per day, they would all be gone in a flash. The demand for the popular models is still very very strong even at retail.

I actually love Wempe. IMO they are one of the finest ADs period. If you build a relationship with them, they will hook you up. Their service is excellent as well compared to Tourneau. I wouldn't even bother with them. London Jewelers in the new WTC mall is another good AD. They will do their best to source a watch for you. Unlike Wempe they told me to forget about getting a DaytonaC from them as soon as I mentioned it while Wempe told me it would be a several year long wait. But that's the case at nearly every AD around the world right now.
Old 16 November 2017, 01:58 AM   #51
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Good to have a relationship with an AD. They will even do you a favor and sell to you at msrp
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 02:01 AM   #52
dardeca
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by stainlesssteve View Post
Same thing I've heard from the 4-5 AD's in Dallas that I frequent. I'm a good customer at all of them, so I have no doubt they are telling the truth.
dardeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 02:12 AM   #53
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by dardeca View Post
Same thing I've heard from the 4-5 AD's in Dallas that I frequent. I'm a good customer at all of them, so I have no doubt they are telling the truth.
This has been known for about two months know. It's not possible that everyone all over the world is lying. Except for the odd black dial Milgauss, polar explorer and SS DJ41s, trying to find new SS Rolex models is pretty much a waste of time until next year.
Old 16 November 2017, 02:38 AM   #54
Magwitch
Banned

Other than the SD43, SS Daytona, and SS SkyD, my AD has a great selection of SS models on display. I posit that by Christmas with Rolex shipping reduced that selection will drop, but as of now they appear well stocked.
Magwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 03:00 AM   #55
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
You would think a company that makes items frequently gifted to others and to self would have inventory to be released for the holiday season. Go figure.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 03:35 AM   #56
NLYogi
"TRF" Member

No sports watches? I would just buy a PM in that case ;)

1 Watch guy
NLYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 04:01 AM   #57
SpeedyTuomas
"TRF" Member

I traveled quite a bit over in Asia and Europe this summer and autumn - the situation was similar in all ADs - no sports models in stock. Something strange has happened during the last 12 months...
SpeedyTuomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 04:04 AM   #58
SpeedyTuomas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nope...in the vault.

If this isn't the case, then why wouldn't ROLEX 100% make sure WEMPE had limitless SS Subs since they can sell SUBS all day long?

Why wouldn't this WEMPE NY location have all the stock and places like Boca Raton, FL have no stock since there is much less traffic?

Because, WEMPE WANTS people to buy higher margin pieces and slow movers that wouldn't sell if a Sub was in the case...

Remember most people aren't WIS...so they will buy whatever ROLEX the AD shows them...and in that particular NY, location regardless of the cost.

Why sell Subs when they can sell PM....ALL DAY LONG. Subs are lower margin, puny ticket.

Rolex has suggested dealers do this. There is a memo floating around.

There is zero reason to even bother with this...just go to another dealer that doesn't handle stock this way.
I'm sorry but this is just nonsense in my opinion. May I see the memo you are talking about?

I have bought six Rolexes from my two ADs and both are in fact out of stock and have not received as many SS models as before. Just a year ago both had Subs and GMTs in the store. Also, if you are in the market for a SS model and have a SS model budget, it would not be feasible to try to sell a PM model to this client, no? It's like trying to sell an SUV model to a guy who is looking for a Mini Cooper.
SpeedyTuomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 04:20 AM   #59
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyTuomas View Post
I'm sorry but this is just nonsense in my opinion.
Instead of saying "this is just nonsense", why don't you provide an accurate answer to his question?

"If this isn't the case, then why wouldn't ROLEX 100% make sure WEMPE had limitless SS Subs since they can sell SUBS all day long?"...
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 04:38 AM   #60
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by duc916sps View Post
Anyone have a lead on a SS Daytona at any of these stores?
Sorry, had to ask lol

I am in AZ but willing to look anywhere CONUS
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote