The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 26 January 2018, 04:21 AM   #31
SpeedyTuomas
"TRF" Member

I would say thank you and move on. 99% of people mean you no harm..it must be hard living being scared all the time.
SpeedyTuomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2018, 06:21 AM   #32
sssteel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
If I was getting a good vibe, I'd say I charge for any advice, that's how I bought this. If I was getting a bad vibe, I'd say I was a contract killer of gobby young boys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
all you have to do is tell them your name. Its got crazy right in it. I would walk away.

Hahaha,
Good ones!!
sssteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2018, 05:58 AM   #33
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 114060, 216570
Quote:
all you have to do is tell them your name. Its got crazy right in it. I would walk away.
I just have to look a bit and they run
crazymcmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2018, 06:08 AM   #34
keithl
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
...been flatered, maybe try to offer some career or education advice to the boys that seem to be ambititous. Maybe there's something to the story your leaving out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simbal View Post
Went to the mall with the family and I was sitting outside of a store where wife was shopping with kids. I was on my iPhone and all of a sudden two teenage boys stand infront of me and one of them asked me "hey man do you have some job for me?" I usually don't pay attention to this when someone try to strike up a conversation like this, especially when I am walking in city. However, I was sitting down so I couldn't just walk away. I just told him sorry whatever he is asking, I am busy and I am not able to help him.
He continues to say you are wearing an AP (now I know what caught his attention) you must be doing something that makes money, what do you do? He must have asked what I do for 10 times. I just told him sorry cannot help you and ignored him. After several minutes they left. I was very careful when I walked to the parking lot with my family!
I was wearing my 26331 ROC. What would you have done?
keithl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2018, 06:42 AM   #35
ChrisInCharlotte
"TRF" Member

It sounds like the kids were being pretty friendly? I don't think someone that's going to rob you would ask what you do for work..
ChrisInCharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2018, 07:12 AM   #36
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
I once has a cash for gold person run after me to ask if I wanted to sell a gold item I was wearing. Malls can be a bit close for comfort lol
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2018, 07:52 AM   #37
soundserious
"TRF" Member

couldn’t pay me to go to a mall, certainly wouldn’t wear a nice watch if I ever had to
Old 27 January 2018, 08:12 AM   #38
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Quote:
this is hardy threatening behavior. I would just tell the teenager to stay in school and study hard. Maybe that is some tangible motivation for a long term goal.
Im not saying you have to go to college to afford one, but still it helps.
THIS
People get excited when they see a cool watch. If anything take it as a compliment

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2018, 08:39 AM   #39
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
This is my advice too. I'm always polite, I tell beggars "no thank you", which throws them for a loop. I think some people go through life scared and cautious, and others are wired to be confident.

You have to understand your personality and work with it. My watches are always insured, so if I get mugged, which is unlikely, I would give them the watch and wish them well with their next target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyTuomas View Post
I would say thank you and move on. 99% of people mean you no harm..it must be hard living being scared all the time.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2018, 08:55 AM   #40
broken_link
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO
First of all you should have explained to them they have to be polite and let you finish that phone call if they are serious. Later you could either use the advice of the others and have some conversation or just wish them luck and that they have to study hard. I wouldn’t lie as you put yourself into even weaker position psychologically , if they catch you lying. And having an insurance on that watch should help you not to fear loosing it if those guys meant to attack you.
broken_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2018, 06:29 PM   #41
rootbeer7
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmi View Post
Just to drag away their attention, I would have told them it is a fake watch.
This if I felt threatened. Only happened once though.
Old 27 January 2018, 11:01 PM   #42
1st amg
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
I don't think you handled it well.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2018, 01:32 PM   #43
rangercadre
"TRF" Member

Icon10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachdanon View Post
I appreciate living in Singapore, where like every other family drives a Porsche Macan, Mercedes S Class, Range Rover....and sports a Rolex :-)....not me though! A really safe place generally, where almost everyone is gainfully employed. Way easier to target rich people by looking at what they drive. Haha!
haha indeed buddy , but theres a growing number of people wearing AP nowadays. heaps of people wearing them in orchard and mbs, with the occasional spotting of some Richard Mille
rangercadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2018, 05:35 PM   #44
Betta01
"TRF" Member

Wear whatever u want in Singapore..our safe city makes it worry free..

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L29 using Tapatalk
Betta01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2018, 07:26 PM   #45
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Presumably you were wearing the watch in a way that was noticeable to the world, it’s easy enough just to wear a big jumper or jacket and then people won’t see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2018, 07:44 PM   #46
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

life lessons from Michael Scott

tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2018, 08:21 PM   #47
razmy3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachdanon View Post
I appreciate living in Singapore, where like every other family drives a Porsche Macan, Mercedes S Class, Range Rover....and sports a Rolex :-)....not me though! A really safe place generally, where almost everyone is gainfully employed. Way easier to target rich people by looking at what they drive. Haha!
...you can see alot of aunties n uncles wearing rolex in mrt...no big deal..n v safe
razmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2018, 05:00 AM   #48
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLGT2 View Post
I would've had a nice convo with them and hopefully encouraged them... I do it all of the time

Not sure what the big deal is

As a successful individual its very fulfilling to speak with people who want to be in the know, especially the youth.

No need to be stuck up, people with hundreds and hundreds of millions take the time for me!
Well I don’t think you go up to these people and say « you have a nice car/watch you must be making some money, what do you do? » not the best way of engaging a conversation...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2018, 01:56 PM   #49
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Quote:
I would've had a nice convo with them and hopefully encouraged them... I do it all of the time

As a successful individual its very fulfilling to speak with people who want to be in the know, especially the youth.

No need to be stuck up, people with hundreds and hundreds of millions take the time for me!
I agree

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2018, 02:16 AM   #50
broken_link
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
Well I don’t think you go up to these people and say « you have a nice car/watch you must be making some money, what do you do? » not the best way of engaging a conversation...

Maybe they just have nobody who could teach them style?
But I would be less inclined to believe in that myself.
broken_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2018, 03:20 AM   #51
SpeedyTuomas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
Well these were a few teenagers? One should not expect too much and perhaps even try to be the mature adult one. I personally see nothing bad or scary if someone compliments me on a watch..it has happened a few times and I only have positive experiences from continuing the conversation. Even let them try it on at one point.
SpeedyTuomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2018, 03:32 AM   #52
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2jAwiq6YsE
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2018, 06:21 AM   #53
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano490 View Post

Funny!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2018, 06:16 PM   #54
hedgefundkenny
"TRF" Member

My classmates would have talked s**t behind my back because of my 15400SR and then key my car hahaha
hedgefundkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2018, 08:09 AM   #55
Cristobal78
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I agree 10000000%, I was in the south Bronx wearing my AP one evening getting something out of the trunk of my car about 4 teenagers were standing pretty close to me and one of them seen my AP and said “that AP is dope bro” I said “thank you” he said “yo what do you do for a living..work in a corporate building or something?” Instead of brushing them off or feeling scared I started talking to them. We had a 15 minute conversation about watches and music..their taste of watches were not really my taste but all in all it was a good conversation. I went back into my cousins house and I told him about those kids and he told me they always get in trouble with the cops. And not once did I feel like they were going to rob me or that they were up to something. It’s all about how you control the situation..I agree with the above comment saying it must be hard living in fear.
Cristobal78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2018, 12:35 PM   #56
achenator
"TRF" Member

try driving an exotic car.
achenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2018, 01:11 PM   #57
kbarker1985
Banned

Watch: Rolex and AP
lighting up people... It may just someone who like watches.... I comment on people's watch all the time when I see a nice one like AP. Because to me only people who into watches know what AP is... Personally. whats the big deal?
I would have a nice conversation with them.......
Of course if their body language made you feel like been hustled then is another story...
kbarker1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2018, 01:45 PM   #58
yukosaturno
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1603
Maybe they just liked your watch, but "what do you do for a living" is something I have never heard in those types of conversations, so yes, I wouldn't want to start a conversation with people approaching me and talking about money.

I actually am the type of guy to approach someone and say "gorgeous watch", "nice rolex" or something like that, I've done it hundreds of times in the past years, and I've had (mostly) very good conversations, and made some friends out of it, as I also scared some people, it's life.
I had people (total strangers) notice and talk about my watch in the street, and I do the same whenever I can, it normally leads to a very nice conversation, I take my watch off, they take theirs, most times it's very nice.

Every once in a while I say "nice watch" and the guy gets a bit defensive, I don't blame them, most times they just a have a nice watch but aren't collectors or don't even know what they really have, I met a guy with a 14060 this week, I said "nice sub" and he put his hand on his pocket, sort of hiding the watch, and I proceeded to show him my tudor, and tell him I love rolex, he liked my watch and said: "your's the new one? very nice" and I told him it's actually some 20 years older lol, he did not know the reference of his watch but was very happy to tell me about the incredible accuracy even though he had it for 13 and never serviced it, we actually ended up talking for almost an hour.

I know I probably shouldn't be this guy, but I can't help it, it makes me happy, It makes the guys very happy, it's a way to keep the community alive, almost always ends up being a interesting encounter, it doesn't matter if the guy just gives me a smile and says "thank you", or if he proceeds to take his watch off and hand it over to me, or if we start talking watches, I like doing it, and I'll continue doing it, but always in a careful and respectful manner, I can understand why you got a bit scared.

Anyways, there are cases and cases, if you see someone genuinely interested in your watch, why not talk about it?
yukosaturno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2018, 04:46 PM   #59
fosbibr
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=brandrea;8215569]Lenox Mall??

too funny.... but yeah, uhh, very true. or Phipps. I work in between the two and will sometimes go for a walk in either during the afternoon to get a cup of coffee. Usually, Phipps though.... a little less crowded
fosbibr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2018, 05:06 PM   #60
SkyKing31
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tridor Masterpiece
I actually have someone I hire to have my back if I go out at night .. Only at night, and him being former law enforcement, he taught me a few different things. One thing he taught me is to always be aware of my surroundings, because no matter what, people will notice your watch, and your shoes and in my case even my eyeglasses (I was shocked to read that guys are being murdered in some places because of their eyewear) and these people judge based on these things.

If it's innocent body language, and the young man admires your watch then that's one thing. If the body language gives a bad vibe, remove yourself from the situation as best as you can .. Like getting up and going into the mall. If it turns into a situation where you are demanded to give up your watch, give it up. It can be replaces, but you can't.
SkyKing31 is offline   Reply With Quote