The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 31 July 2018, 08:02 AM   #31
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
Too much time on my hands. I’m 75, retired, and disabled. Nuff said.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 08:51 AM   #32
Sonzy
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/Breguet/IWC/Rlx
They’re like Bentley & BMW, they’re both at the top of their price bracket.
Rolex: GMT Master II Batman.
Sonzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 09:30 AM   #33
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
In terms of dressy pieces, I prefer Patek.

In terms of sporty pieces, I also prefer Patek.

I like the slim-ness, elegance and design of Patek over Rolex watches. These are the things I value in a watch.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 10:37 AM   #34
GSDLover
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5205r-010
I no longer own Rolex after being exposed to Patek.
Patek Philippe just seems to have that "Je ne sais quoi".
GSDLover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 11:21 AM   #35
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDLover View Post

Same here

watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 11:41 AM   #36
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

I own and appreciate both brands for different reasons.
Old 31 July 2018, 06:09 PM   #37
Sonzy
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/Breguet/IWC/Rlx
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchucallit View Post
Well there are different degrees of OCD here. On one of the other sites -- for quartz movements people talk about fraction of second variation....
Rolex: GMT Master II Batman.
Sonzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 11:31 PM   #38
bobodrink
"TRF" Member

Watch: Nautilus 3712
Both Rolex and Patek are the most reputable watch companies in the world. A lot of people had car analogies, but I think my take of it is the most true.

Rolex is Porsche, king of the large volume car company, all of their new special models demand a huge premium over MSRP (GT3RS vs Daytona, GT3 vs New Pepsi), second hand market are holding super strong. Very well made and bulletproof compared to rivals. Their normal models are desirable but not as prestigious (Day Date vs Macan). They both have affiliated companies that produce similar products (Tudor Black Bay vs Audi Q5 - Macan is based on). Both vintage watches are super in demand, all vintage 911 has skyrocketed in value just like Rolex sport watches (2.7 RS vs Paul Newman Daytona). The reason why both vintage and new models are desirable is because both brands used the same style/concept for a long time and never really changed, having the most robust and usable platforms with just enough complications that are in the perfect luxury consumer sweet spot to sustain the demand. The great thing about both companies is that they try to do incremental improvements through time, but once they go too far, they come back to their roots (Day Date 41 back to 40 vs Base 991 was too GT driving so they made the GT3 more like a sports car).

Patek Philippe is Ferrari. They both aren't the most innovative or making any leaps in the industry, but they are the diamond standard. Any major model they come out demands a huge price hike and is always limited (Nautilus, light weight mid engine models like 430 Scuderia, 458 Speciale). They continue to make passionate products that people rush to buy, but end of the day they are just in a way producing their classic models over and over again as their lesser models aren't as desirable(Ferrari California vs 5960). Patek is more refined, more detailed and produced in way less numbers than Rolex, they are very delicate as well like Ferrari. They make a lot of stupid models that no one cares about too, but the name alone will demand value (Mondial vs Ellipse). End of the day people still prefer the flagship models instead of lower models (V12 Ferrari vs Perpetual Chronograph). Just like Rolex and Porsche, Patek and Ferrari's vintage is in crazy demand. Their most vintage top of the line models are worth millions (250/275 vs super grand complications), but their old stupid models are still worth some penny, but not nearly as desirable. Rolex has a better equal average price, Patek varies on model. All in all, Patek is the high end version of Rolex.

AP is Lambo. They use new materials like forge carbon in their products. Their design is very loud/flamboyant and attractive. But also less desirable than Ferrari even though they are in the same league.

A Lange is Mclaren. The new boys in town but their names have been in the industry for years. Most industry leaping innovations and making the best performing cars out there, but they depreciate like rocks as its more niche. Same to speak for A Lange, they kill the Patek in terms of finish, innovation etc, but not as desirable.

Richard Mille is Pagani/Koenigsegg. Set the new price standard in the industry using air space/F1 material/technology to make their product. Their movement/engine made by major companies to be reliable (AP-Papi vs Mercedes vs based on LS V8 motors).

Mercedes is Omega, IWC is BMW, Panerai is Audi, Rolls Royce is Vacheron, Bentley is Breguet.

End of the day, you need both. Hope this helps.
Rolex GMT Master 1675 "Fuschia"
Rolex Submariner 5513 "Gilt"
bobodrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 07:16 AM   #39
Vetracer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
I own both, they satisfy different requirements. If my Rolex watches were as expensive as Patek Philippes to buy, I’d never have bought one.
Vetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 10:00 AM   #40
Peterandwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167/15400/Sub/JLC
Ideally, I certainly want to have both.

Try on a Patek. See if the Calatrava or the more sporty Nautilus sings to you, and you'll know right there if it's for you.
Peterandwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 10:19 AM   #41
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDLover View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchtabs View Post

Same here
Yeah, was my case for 4 years, sold the 4 Rolex I had 8 months after getting my first PP, but am looking to get one Rolex in the collection, not more, just one, the Pepsi it will be, will I prefer it to my 3 PP or my AP? No of course, but in some occasions will be happy to wear it, but yes I was like you and thought I wouldn't come back to Rolex, I guess you still need one around when you really love watches, but one not more, at least for me, some here have a few...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote