The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 October 2018, 08:59 PM   #31
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations on a beautiful watch. Enjoy, sit back and watch the silliness of supply and demand. At some point the supply/demand issues will change and the chance for the average consumer to buy the watch they want, when they want, will be the norm.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 09:51 PM   #32
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
Good luck with your choice. You're going to need it the day you get the call for the Pepsi. Not even taking about next releases.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 10:03 PM   #33
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post
A watch story never hurt nobody

I have been a watchnerd all my life. I have been through all the usual stages....starting with a Swatch and ending with Rolex. While I always liked watches I didn’t always like Rolex.
Few years ago, I started to be interested in Rolex, sold my watches and I opened the Rolex chapter.
I first got a vintage DJ 1603 (Im a vintage fan) and from there on I went through a few models, modern and vintage.... a modern OP 36mm, a modern DJ 36mm, an Explorer 2 216570 black dial, a vintage OP date gold and a modern Sub no date.
Out all all these, the only one I got new was the Sub and it is the only one I kept. They were all great and I really enjoyed them. I became a Rolex fan speaking now from experience.
But I decided to reduce the number of watches I own to maximum 5: 2 rolex keepers and 3 vintage pieces that I can sell/trade from time to time.

So, I kept the Sub and wanted to add the new Pepsi or maybe a DD. Got absorbed by the hype generated by the new Pepsi and I went and put my name down for one. The dealer told me that can take my name but the wait is long. I am patient man, in general, but waiting years for a 10k watch is absurd to me. I told the dealer I am ready to buy now and to see what can do for me. I even got in touch with a guy that is connected enough to jump the queue.....few months later no sign of a Pepsi for me. I visited the dealer a few times, money in my pocket, no chance.
Meanwhile, Rolex cuts the supply and Subs and other sport models disappear from the window. I am thinking: why is Rolex shooting itself in the foot?!

I am like: am I playing this Rolex game?!! I want this watch but not so much to wait a few years or buy it for a premium on the grey market.
So, I said goodbye to it in a split second the other day.

I was browsing my local online market, today (like I always do) and came across this blue dial DJ 16200, I called the guy and it turns out he is only 10 min away from my house.
One hour later we are sitting down in Starbucks and we shake hands in about 5 min after we meet. The watch sang to me immediately. This reference is so right for a guy like me who likes vintage but, also, the perks of modern models.
The watch is pristine, unpolished with box and papers. Made in 2000 and sold in 2006. The condition and price were right and it took me no time to decide. I am a sucker for sharp lugs...
I stopped at the Rolex boutique to size the bracelet and here I am kind of done with Rolex.

I hv a Sub and this DJ and to be honest there is nothing else that I wish or need. Rolex did me a favor not selling me a Pepsi for 10k.
In theory, I won’t buy another Rolex; the Sub will go to my son and the DJ to my daughter. (a much more better choice for her than the Pepsi). There will always be new attractive models coming out but I think I had my share and I shall stick to this pair for the years to come.

I hope this wasn’t too boring. I just didn’t feel like writing “incoming”.
Keep calm and keep watching the second hand sweep ��!

Here is the culprit:

As The James Bond title said, Never Say Never! Anyway enjoy the great watches.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 10:15 PM   #34
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Nice pick up and I agree. I’m pretty over it with this “scarcity” game that Rolex is playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 10:21 PM   #35
Manu74
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 | LVc | SkyD
Congrats on your nice DJ!
Manu74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 10:24 PM   #36
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

regardless of how you got to the point where you are, its a nice feeling to be able to see your collection as complete
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 10:27 PM   #37
gin47
Banned

It's not boring at all, interesting write up also congrats on the incoming DJ.
gin47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 10:33 PM   #38
BT1985
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
Saying, "I'm done buying Rolexes," immediately after buying a Rolex is like saying, "I'm swearing off drugs," right after snorting a line of coke. Give it time. If it holds true, then the claim has merit. Right now, you're still under the influence of the purchase.

At any rate, enjoy your DJ.

Haha exactly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BT1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 10:54 PM   #39
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Saying, "I'm done buying Rolexes," immediately after buying a Rolex is like saying, "I'm swearing off drugs," right after snorting a line of coke.
Kind of my thought, but without the Coca-Cola.

But hey, that's a pretty watch, sounds like you are enjoying it, congrats!

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 11:18 PM   #40
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Congratulations on a beautiful watch. Enjoy, sit back and watch the silliness of supply and demand. At some point the supply/demand issues will change and the chance for the average consumer to buy the watch they want, when they want, will be the norm.
thank you and, yes, you are right. I can stand back and watch this game for the time being. As long as it lasts I am out of it. if things come back to normal.....we shall see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicLeChic View Post
Good luck with your choice. You're going to need it the day you get the call for the Pepsi. Not even taking about next releases.
If this happens in relatively short time I might give it a thought...I could say that I made a rushed decision but I doubt I would be in this position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF_Rob View Post
Nice pick up and I agree. I’m pretty over it with this “scarcity” game that Rolex is playing.
Yes, me too. As I said I am not playing this game, not with a 10k watch. It's not a kidney to wait for years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu74 View Post
Congrats on your nice DJ!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
regardless of how you got to the point where you are, its a nice feeling to be able to see your collection as complete
Complete...I do not know about that. I can say I am happy with my watches and one needs to take into consideration many other factors. Nevertheless, I considered myself fortunate to own these luxury items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gin47 View Post
It's not boring at all, interesting write up also congrats on the incoming DJ.
Thank you for your kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
But hey, that's a pretty watch, sounds like you are enjoying it, congrats!
Indeed it is a pretty little watch for less than half the price of a new Pepsi and no wait whatsoever. It is all a matter of choice...there is no right or wrong.
Old 22 December 2018, 11:49 PM   #41
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
So, 2 months later.....

I have sold the DJ and I am about to sell the SubC, too.
I am leaning to own only one modern Rolex only. Simply, because I also hv a few vintage pieces that get a fair amount of wrist time.
As a result, the Sub gets almost no wear. It was either the DJ or a vintage.

As much as I want to keep the Sub, I think I am gonna sell it and get one modern Rolex that covers a few bases.

My first choice would be the modern Pepsi but this is unlikely to happen and as I said I am not doing waiting lists or paying premium.
My second choice would be the DJ41. I kind off dismissed this model as I didn’t like the DJ2 at all and, as a result, I wasn’t even interested to try the DJ41 when it was released.
But, now I went and tried it and I like it. It is growing on me.
I like the slimmer case and the 70hr power reserve a lot.

Nevertheless, I won’t buy it yet as Basel is around the corner and I wanna see what’s comming out of Rolex hat.

So, I guess I’m gonna play the Rolex game and get a Datejust in the end.
Old 22 December 2018, 11:56 PM   #42
lenfried29
Banned

Watch: tick-tock
Quote:
A watch story never hurt nobody

In theory, I won’t buy another Rolex; the Sub will go to my son and the DJ to my daughter. (a much more better choice for her than the Pepsi). There will always be new attractive models coming out but I think I had my share and I shall stick to this pair for the years to come.
Lucky you! I have 5 children
lenfried29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2018, 12:33 AM   #43
datejustrms
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Congratulations! That's a great looking DJ!
datejustrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2018, 12:51 AM   #44
mistercoach32
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Saying, "I'm done buying Rolexes," immediately after buying a Rolex is like saying, "I'm swearing off drugs," right after snorting a line of coke. Give it time. If it holds true, then the claim has merit. Right now, you're still under the influence of the purchase.

Haha. I don't know how many times I've uttered the words, "I'm done" or "my collection is complete!" The last few times I've said it to my wife, she's finished it with the caveat, ".....until you're/it's not." The longest I've followed my declaration was 12 months.

Enjoy your DJ.....until you don't!
mistercoach32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2018, 01:02 AM   #45
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Good post. More and more are thinking the same. Rolex missed a big opportunity to sell watches these past two years. Now economic gray clouds loom everywhere and the luxury markets will be severely hit, Rolex being no exception.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2018, 01:09 AM   #46
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Quote:
So, 2 months later.....

I am leaning to own only one modern Rolex only. Simply, because I also hv a few vintage pieces that get a fair amount of wrist time.
As a result, the Sub gets almost no wear. It was either the DJ or a vintage.

As much as I want to keep the Sub, I think I am gonna sell it and get one modern Rolex that covers a few bases.

My first choice would be the modern Pepsi but this is unlikely to happen and as I said I am not doing waiting lists or paying premium.
My second choice would be the DJ41. I kind off dismissed this model as I didn’t like the DJ2 at all and, as a result, I wasn’t even interested to try the DJ41 when it was released.
But, now I went and tried it and I like it. It is growing on me.
I like the slimmer case and the 70hr power reserve a lot.

Nevertheless, I won’t buy it yet as Basel is around the corner and I wanna see what’s comming out of Rolex hat.

So, I guess I’m gonna play the Rolex game and get a Datejust in the end.
Well see, the proof that you are never done with Rolex!

I also fell in love with my DJ the moment I tried it on my wrist. The signature fluted bezel is gorgeous. By now I am of the belief that every Rolex collector should have at least a classic Rolex signature piece like this.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2018, 01:15 AM   #47
Greenwich Mean Time
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
I'd say you have all bases covered nicely. Congrats on the DJ, it's a beautiful watch. :) Your daughter and son will cherish these watches and think of their father every time they look at the time.
Greenwich Mean Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2018, 05:42 AM   #48
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
I hv a Sub and this DJ and to be honest there is nothing else that I wish or need.
Quote:
So, 2 months later.....

Man, I didn't see that coming.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2018, 05:58 AM   #49
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:

Completely agree. You're on your present high. Enjoy it...
Congrats.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2018, 06:00 AM   #50
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Dios mio... Just read the tail end of this...
As predicted.
The high wore off.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2018, 06:03 AM   #51
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
Dios mio... Just read the tail end of this...
As predicted.
The high wore off.
Yup. Withdrawal is a bitch.
Old 23 December 2018, 06:09 AM   #52
TheFuture
"TRF" Member

Dont be a quitter
TheFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2018, 06:22 AM   #53
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Never mind.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2018, 06:26 AM   #54
JacksonStone
Banned

Just out of curiosity, to the people who have obviously only read the first few posts before replying, does it ever occur to you to read the rest of the thread to see if anything has changed that might affect what you say in your reply? Since OP updated the thread to report he sold the DJ two months after buying it, he's been congratulated six times on buying the DJ.
Old 23 December 2018, 06:44 AM   #55
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, to the people who have obviously only read the first few posts before replying, does it ever occur to you to read the rest of the thread to see if anything has changed that might affect what you say in your reply? Since OP updated the thread to report he sold the DJ two months after buying it, he's been congratulated six times on buying the DJ.
To answer your question, sometimes I do and sometimes I don't, especially if I don't notice the original posting date.

In this case, I posted, then went back to read the thread, when I noticed the OP date and the update from today.

Then instead of trying to make sense of it all, I just deleted my previous post and then I noticed that you had posted while I was doing all that.

C'est la vie.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2018, 06:50 AM   #56
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
To answer your question, sometimes I do and sometimes I don't, especially if I don't notice the original posting date.

In this case, I posted, then went back to read the thread, when I noticed the OP date and the update from today.

Then instead of trying to make sense of it all, I just deleted my previous post and then I noticed that you had posted while I was doing all that.

C'est la vie.
I know. I expect a few. I just find it highly ironic that he's still being congratulated on a watch he already sold, especially since that watch was supposed to be the one that ended his watch collecting days.
Old 23 December 2018, 07:03 AM   #57
SearChart
TechXpert

Brushed lugs, simple bezel and a brushed Oyster bracelet, yeah that is a sweet DateJust, Congrats
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2018, 07:10 AM   #58
mistercoach32
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:

To answer your question, yes it has occurred to me, but I wasn't in the mood to read two pages of posts.....as most do on occasion. It obviously really upsets you enough warrant a 70 word response. As I tell my eight year old, sticking your nose in business that doesn't concern you or answering for other people is more trouble than it's worth........if that's ever occurred to you.
mistercoach32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2018, 07:14 AM   #59
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercoach32 View Post
To answer your question, yes it has occurred to me, but I wasn't in the mood to read two pages of posts.....as most do on occasion. It obviously really upsets you enough warrant a 70 word response. As I tell my eight year old, sticking your nose in business that doesn't concern you or answering for other people is more trouble than it's worth........if that's ever occurred to you.
I'm not sure how I'm sticking my nose in business that doesn't concern me by replying to a thread posted on an open forum, or engaging with the OP on the subject he chose. Call me crazy, but I just consider it good form to read before posting, so I can contribute intelligently to the discussion. You're free to disagree, but your indignant response is revealing.

Old 23 December 2018, 07:15 AM   #60
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116613LB
DJs are like loyal friends.
They're always there.
Available.

Been on the waiting list for professional models for 2.5 years now. By their own admission thru a phone call ADs here are only selling to VIPs.

Just saving a few more coins and I'm off for a PM.

Right, DavidSW eh?

Sent from my TRT-LX2 using Tapatalk
yoniman is offline   Reply With Quote