The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 February 2019, 03:48 PM   #31
Uppersouth
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SWISS
My philosophy is only buy what excites you. If that’s only Rolex right now, then stick with Rolex.
-ROBERT FROST
Uppersouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 05:26 PM   #32
mjr24
Banned

I think I try to be smarter about my watch purchases now. This is just due to knowing that Rolexes are going to hold their value.

I love the Breitling Navitimer. It’s a classic and beautiful watch. Thus I’ll always have one no matter the resale because I’ll never sell it. As a result of that love, I ended up buying a Breitling Bentley. I wish I hadn’t done that because I realized I don’t love Breitlings besides the Navitimer and now I’ll never get anywhere near what I paid now that I’m selling the Bentley.

In other words, if you look at buying a non-Rolex, AP, Patek....you better really love it or else you will take a bath financially on it whereas you always have a fallback with a Rolex you don’t love (because someone else out there will love it and will pay you top dollar for it).
mjr24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 05:48 PM   #33
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post
In other words, if you look at buying a non-Rolex, AP, Patek....you better really love it or else you will take a bath financially on it whereas you always have a fallback with a Rolex you don’t love (because someone else out there will love it and will pay you top dollar for it).
If you want to be smarter, then you best abandon this line of thinking.

In summary.
It depends upon which Rolex reference you are trying to unload and the purchase price.
AAnd market conditions.

Good luck with your quest for your watch nirvana.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 05:54 PM   #34
Yoda_Eating_Pizza
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by BespokebyBMO View Post
I am new to watch collecting, but feel I made a mistake. I traded in a Breitling SuperOcean and an Omega Seamaster on a Rolex Milgauss. My first ever Rolex. Now, all I can think about is collecting more Rolex watches and that the other brands don’t compare. I know there are nicer watches than a Rolex, but now I struggle with the desire to even own anything “less”. It’s like once you go there, it is hard to go back.

I’ve looked at adding a Tudor Black Bay Dark, a Panerai or different Omegas, but keep coming back to Rolex.

Any advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You did what you felt was right for you. No need for second guessing now that it's done.

I would never give up my Omega, but that's just what works for me. I'm not one who ever sells my watches, but I do understand why others would.

If Rolex is what ticks all the boxes for you, great! Narrowing down what'll be your next piece will be that much simpler (within reason, first world problems after all, lol). You'll find that asking for advice on this forum full of enablers can take you from one extreme to the next.

I'm a little intoxicated, I hope I made sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starhutch View Post
The force is strong with you
Yoda_Eating_Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 07:29 PM   #35
mk2jag
"TRF" Member

I first collected a variety of brands and moved to only Rolex's. I have come to the conclusion after many years of collecting that there are more brands to enjoy then just Rolex and have diversified my collection again. Each brand has their own distinct charm and there is so much to choose from.
mk2jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 10:24 PM   #36
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
Dont buy a gold rolex you will be in too deep.
There is always platinum
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 10:25 PM   #37
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
Or Platinum
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 10:30 PM   #38
KBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
Your still new to Rolex. Honeymoon period.

Rolex is good but its not haute.
This. Rolex is probably my favorite brand, but I love references, not the brands.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 12:03 AM   #39
marcotagudelo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I am new to watch collecting, but feel I made a mistake. I traded in a Breitling SuperOcean and an Omega Seamaster on a Rolex Milgauss. My first ever Rolex. Now, all I can think about is collecting more Rolex watches and that the other brands don’t compare. I know there are nicer watches than a Rolex, but now I struggle with the desire to even own anything “less”. It’s like once you go there, it is hard to go back.

I’ve looked at adding a Tudor Black Bay Dark, a Panerai or different Omegas, but keep coming back to Rolex.

Any advice

Stick with SS... once you get to PM then SS wont do it for you either...trust me i know first hand.
marcotagudelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 12:05 AM   #40
marcotagudelo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
Your still new to Rolex. Honeymoon period.

Rolex is good but its not haute.
its not haute buts its like a lexus

TOP NOTCH QUALITY,ROBUST and they dont go to the shop very much
Old 7 February 2019, 12:10 AM   #41
R G
Banned

Go Patek. You’ll soon forget Rolex.
R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 10:22 AM   #42
brandon13
"TRF" Member

It's like an addiction....Seriously is.....My Story:

First Passion for me was Omegas ($2-3K Range), Then I "Discovered" Rolex and Panerai right about the same time ($6-$16K Range)...love them both...Then after some time the curse came upon me again and I itched for AP Royal Oak Offshores ($20-$30K).....Now the little voice inside my head wants the AP 41GOLD ($56K)....FML....I need to stop.

New Thread Category Please: Watch Lovers Anonymous.
brandon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 10:33 AM   #43
Phrank

Watch: ♕
I hear you, I was always a one watch guy - then I bought a Rolex.

Literally one year ago, after decades of waiting, finally strapped the SS Daytona on my wrist and figured that was it, Grail achieved.

Then I saw the Rolex Submariner 16613lb (The Bluesy), well, how could I own a Rolex without owning a Submariner I steadfastly explained to my wife, I mean really!! So that one showed up.

Then, well, how can one possibly exist without a nice dress watch, and of course, in the way the Submariner is iconic, is not the Day-Date!?!

Suddenly the Day-Date appeared on my wrist, and like Alice, further down the Rabbit Hole I descended...don't worry about it, there's lots of us here....
Phrank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 10:35 AM   #44
marcotagudelo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon13 View Post
It's like an addiction....Seriously is.....My Story:

First Passion for me was Omegas ($2-3K Range), Then I "Discovered" Rolex and Panerai right about the same time ($6-$16K Range)...love them both...Then after some time the curse came upon me again and I itched for AP Royal Oak Offshores ($20-$30K).....Now the little voice inside my head wants the AP 41GOLD ($56K)....FML....I need to stop.

New Thread Category Please: Watch Lovers Anonymous.
I feel you
In my case its an annual itch be it straight up or with trade
Old 7 February 2019, 10:40 AM   #45
TickTockChuck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk2jag View Post
I first collected a variety of brands and moved to only Rolex's. I have come to the conclusion after many years of collecting that there are more brands to enjoy then just Rolex and have diversified my collection again. Each brand has their own distinct charm and there is so much to choose from.
Indeed, it's easy to get tunnel vision with Rolex due to their slick marketing, but I look at the current shortage as a bit of a blessing allowing the appreciation of other brands. It's hard to beat the value retention of a Rolex, but the hobby should be about enjoyment and one shouldn't be limited to one brand. My 2 cents. Cheersl
TickTockChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 10:41 AM   #46
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I guess my comment would be to try to focus on enjoying what you have first and then letting subsequent watches come to you more naturally.

As others have said, there are a lot of good watches out there. When you figure out what it is you would like to have in your next watch, then take off the blinders and look at ALL the candidates. Good luck,
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 10:42 AM   #47
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:

Any advice

Oh no. I loved the hulk but a super ocean and a Seamaster?
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 10:46 AM   #48
GP13
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
Good luck!
GP13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 10:54 AM   #49
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppersouth View Post
My philosophy is only buy what excites you. If that’s only Rolex right now, then stick with Rolex.

Agreed. The heart likes what the heart likes.

I would strongly advise against buying other brands just for the sake of having diversity.
jb335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 10:59 AM   #50
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
Wanna break your Rolex addiction? Get a Patek Phillipe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PPAquanaut 5167A.jpg (112.1 KB, 93 views)
Old 7 February 2019, 12:30 PM   #51
blufinz52
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 116400GV 124060
Great 1st Rolex with the Milly. Now you're hooked.
blufinz52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2019, 08:39 AM   #52
yugxelor
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Yatch-Master
Rolex is definitely an addicting brand that offers enough models, styles, and variations to keep even the most avid watch collector at bay. That being said, I am dying to branch from the Rolex brand. I would love to have a couple of Omegas (an Alaska Project and vintage speedster), as well as a JLC Reverso among a long list of other watches. My recommendation would be to look past the name and look at what each brand does best. Collect for the heritage and history and effort that other brands have behind their watches.

Cheers
yugxelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2019, 09:20 AM   #53
Dudman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub -116610LN
Welcome to the Rolex addiction
Now repeat after the therapist

“My name Is ———— and it’s been 30 days since my last rolex purchase.”

It’s a great hobby
Dudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2019, 09:52 AM   #54
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
You got bit by the Rolex bug the more you scratch it the more it itches all I can say is Happy Hunting ..
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2019, 10:11 AM   #55
007_Omega
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I'm the same way now. I'm not in the market for AP, Patek, or Lange as they are way out of price range atm. I don't have the desire to own "lesser" watches as once you go Rolex you expect a certain standard.

I'd consider a Tudor BB58 Pepsi and maybe a Breitling Navitimer. Still, when push comes to shove I always look at Rolex these days.

Doesn't hurt that they are easy to move and your money is generally safe should you have to sell.
007_Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2019, 10:25 AM   #56
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
I am new to watch collecting, but feel I made a mistake. I traded in a Breitling SuperOcean and an Omega Seamaster on a Rolex Milgauss. My first ever Rolex. Now, all I can think about is collecting more Rolex watches and that the other brands don’t coimpare. I know there are nicer watches than a Rolex, but now I struggle with the desire to even own anything “less”. It’s like once you go there, it is hard to go back.

Any advice

Can’t really help you.
I’m a Rolex Fan and Man .
No turning back now unfortunately.
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2019, 10:26 AM   #57
BespokebyBMO
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ras47 View Post
Wanna break your Rolex addiction? Get a Patek Phillipe.

Yeah...trying to go the other way, not the more expensive route

BespokebyBMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2019, 10:27 AM   #58
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by R G View Post
Go Patek. You’ll soon forget Rolex.
Not so sure about that ...
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2019, 10:35 AM   #59
igomez70
Banned

" but feel I made a mistake. I traded in a Breitling SuperOcean and an Omega Seamaster on a Rolex Milgauss."

It was a mistake, trading two fine watches for IMO one of the ugliest Rolex ever made. And yes, I have a good friend that has one and I tried it on.
igomez70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2019, 11:01 AM   #60
igomez70
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007_Omega View Post
I'm the same way now. I'm not in the market for AP, Patek, or Lange as they are way out of price range atm. I don't have the desire to own "lesser" watches as once you go Rolex you expect a certain standard.

I'd consider a Tudor BB58 Pepsi and maybe a Breitling Navitimer. Still, when push comes to shove I always look at Rolex these days.

Doesn't hurt that they are easy to move and your money is generally safe should you have to sell.
I understand that, I have Rolex, Omega, PP, Breitling, JLC and Panerai among others but personally I enjoy my "lesser" watches a lot, including Casio for example. Lately I'm enjoying my 38mm Dan Henry a lot, and that was only $250.

I would love to have a Lange though.. I occasionally go to the local store in Miami to try them on but they are way out of my price range unfortunately
igomez70 is offline   Reply With Quote