The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 March 2019, 11:54 PM   #31
Headhunter007
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 116619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna1234 View Post
Hi All,
Im posting this thread to discuss whether anyone felt anxious before buying their first Rolex. It might sound silly but i am a 27 y/o girl working in a medium sized company as a product manager. I generally have a good relation to my colleagues but most of them are older than me, both male and female. I am recognised in what i do, and i do work very hard. By saving up and getting some tax returns i got to the point where i could buy my dream watch, a
Rolex 16014 Datejust with Brushed Silver Dial. For me this would be a reward of completing my masters degree while having a full time job and really working hard, you know a i reminder that hard work pays off. What im worried about is to get weird looks from my peers/ colleagues for wearing such an expensive timepiece while being relatively young. On the other hand, my older colleagues all drive expensive cars and some of them also have premium watches. It might sound silly, but im actually anxious of people having a mean reaction, I am a rather shy and silent person, always polite but mostly minding my own business, so i would not buy this watch to show off, iut rather to remind myself of my achievements so far, and also as an investment. Any thoughts?
Thank you and have a nice day.
Anna
First of all, congratulations on your achievements. You should enjoy the benefit of your hard work and not be self conscious. I would say this though (this is the dad in me), you should save a bit for your future. Living and enjoying life is what it’s all about...but planning for your future is equally important.

If it’s me, I’d buy and enjoy the watch then I’d sacrifice a little bit and find ways to save and invest for my future. You can do both if you put your mind to it.

My 2 cents.

Rolex 116619LB, 116719 BLRO
Panerai Pam 422, Pam 90
Headhunter007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2019, 11:56 PM   #32
nuts070
"TRF" Member

I really really love watch forums, so many enablers! Buy and wear what you want Anna!
nuts070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 12:04 AM   #33
Wizardly
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
To the OP: I totally get where you're coming from.

Think of it this way, being that you found way to this forum means that you have a true interest in these fine timepieces. It doesn't sound like you're looking to impress anyone but yourself.

It's the people that don't know about these magnificent timepieces that cast aspersions on your character. "How could you spend so much money on a watch?" They just don't get it. I'd bet if you combed over their purchases, you'd probably find incredible waste and spending on tons of clothes, junk and NON-fine things, the cost of which would dwarf your smart choice in a fine timepiece.
Wizardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 12:05 AM   #34
zjd168
"TRF" Member

you shouldn't be worried at all. Women are expected to wear some expensive jewelry so a luxury watch is perfectly fine in any aspects.
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 12:09 AM   #35
visualplane
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
I think people who have nice watches (your older coworkers), would look favorably to others who have nice watches.
visualplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 12:11 AM   #36
DocHolliday
"TRF" Member

Hi Anna and welcome to the forum. You worked hard to achieve your goals and succeed in your career. Time to treat yourself. Don’t waste one more minute and go get that watch and celebrate.

It’s normal to be anxious about a large purchase, especially the first time around. Forget about what others may or may not think, and don’t let others opinions dictate your happiness or decisions. Congratulations on your achievements!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DocHolliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 12:16 AM   #37
TheKhosenOne
"TRF" Member

Anna,
I understand where you’re coming from. As many has already said, you’ve worked hard, and studied hard. Spend your hard earned money the way you want. Once you open that box, you will know it was worth it. Enjoy it every day! I can’t wait to see the pics of it on your wrist.

TheKhosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 12:18 AM   #38
trelane
"TRF" Member

Watch: Apple Series 1
Quote:
Hi All,
Im posting this thread to discuss whether anyone felt anxious before buying their first Rolex. It might sound silly but i am a 27 y/o girl working in a medium sized company as a product manager. I generally have a good relation to my colleagues but most of them are older than me, both male and female. I am recognised in what i do, and i do work very hard. By saving up and getting some tax returns i got to the point where i could buy my dream watch, a
Rolex 16014 Datejust with Brushed Silver Dial. For me this would be a reward of completing my masters degree while having a full time job and really working hard, you know a i reminder that hard work pays off. What im worried about is to get weird looks from my peers/ colleagues for wearing such an expensive timepiece while being relatively young. On the other hand, my older colleagues all drive expensive cars and some of them also have premium watches. It might sound silly, but im actually anxious of people having a mean reaction, I am a rather shy and silent person, always polite but mostly minding my own business, so i would not buy this watch to show off, iut rather to remind myself of my achievements so far, and also as an investment. Any thoughts?
Anna
In a recent interview, I met with a VP of Product who had an old school Datejust. Needless to say her and I got completely sidetracked talking about Rolexes and how we came into getting one. I think it's a fun and engaging talking point with people that I may not have otherwise felt any connection with. For some it's cars, tech, kids, and watches might be just one more thing.

As for the achievements piece, I'm totally with you on that. The first time I went into a watch store, I saw a black GMT Master about 7 years ago. I told myself that someday, if I have the means, I'll get that one. 7 years later (and scavenging the New England area) I got one and building a relationship with that AD.
trelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 12:26 AM   #39
Madprofx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Yachtmaster/
It believe it is very well deserved. I would not be concerned with any persons thoughts regarding wearing it.
My wife has a Zenith Defy and thoroughly enjoys wearing it wherever she happens to be, work or otherwise, and in rotation with a Raymond Weil.
Congratulations on the Masters and a most apropos piece to continuing to work hard in your chosen profession.
Wear it in good health.

Madprofx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 12:26 AM   #40
Blah114aa
Banned

Watch: Iphone
Quote:
Hi All,
Anna
99.999 percent of people don’t wear mechanical watches or know which watches are which. 7 of 10 rolexes reportedly are replicas anyway so if people do see you wearing a “Rolex,” they will presume it’s fake or was bought preowned for a huge discount. I’d not worry about it.
Blah114aa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 12:27 AM   #41
Montremoi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
im actually anxious of people having a mean reaction, I am a rather shy and silent person
Just Be Yourself ©

Quote:
and also as an investment
Watches rarely make good investments, especially the ones as common as Datejusts.
Montremoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 12:31 AM   #42
Rolexlover43
"TRF" Member

Hello Anna, thanks for your story. I inderstand what u mean and i am wondering if Rolex is the right brand for u at this moment, but that’s just my thought :-)
Rolexlover43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 12:33 AM   #43
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Anna, you are a successful, hard working, independent woman that has an interest in one of the mostly highly respected watches in the World. If your co-workers don't view that as a positive attribute, they are lacking perception and knowledge.

Go for it, and wear it with confidence every day.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 01:05 AM   #44
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
If you can't have a nice watch, then what reason is there to go on?

Kidding. Don't overthink it...you deserve it, go get that DJ.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 01:07 AM   #45
Junior_
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 114060
Get the watch if you can afford it.

Most people won’t notice and fewer will care.
Junior_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 01:13 AM   #46
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Anxious about buying a Rolex

Quote:
It might sound silly, but im actually anxious of people having a mean reaction, I am a rather shy and silent person, always polite but mostly minding my own business, so i would not buy this watch to show off, iut rather to remind myself of my achievements so far, and also as an investment. Any thoughts?

First off, welcome to the forum.

I saw your 2nd post and am glad you’ve chosen to buy your Rolex tomorrow.

Citing just that portion of your OP to add a couple of thoughts. I hope you accept them in the spirit of communication and not judgmentally.

First, at your stage of a corporate career it is a perfect time to consider some “extrovertical” growth and development. It will help your concerns in dealing with people more effectively and ultimately improve your upward mobility to leadership roles.

Your post does show a level of concern - maybe overly-concerned - about how others react to you. Developing a broader approach in communicating with others will allay those concerns. And it will build confidence in speaking out in business matters vs. shyness.

Second, buy the watch as a reward you justly deserve. It is not a financial investment per se. It is a luxury you will enjoy and it can reinforce your new level of confidence.

But if anyone does comment slyly (or make any jokes about it) - then just hold your wrist up to their eye level, take a deep breath and say...

“You see this watch? You see this watch??? You see, pal, that’s who I am. And you’re nothing. Nice guy? I don’t give a $#!+... Now slink back to that cube and get to work because I’m on your tail and aiming to pass you any day now!!!”

What I really mean is be bold in owning the Rolex and let them know it’s just the first reward you intend to capture on your rise in business.

BTW, are you in Accounting by any chance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 01:14 AM   #47
redfoxer
"TRF" Member

I agree with the setiments of the comments in here and you should go for it! Just make sure you also insure it, just for that piece of mind.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
redfoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 01:31 AM   #48
omx5o
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss GV
Wear it every day and enjoy it. I have fond memories of buying and wearing my first Rolex. Happy days.
omx5o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 01:40 AM   #49
blown5.0
"TRF" Member

Go for it! You have every right to wear it. As long as its not overly ostentatious, you probably won't receive too many comments.
blown5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 01:49 AM   #50
Fitz The Barber
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I am a barber and bought my first Rolex three years ago. I ended up buying three the first year. Black sub, hulk, Rose/steel DJ.

IM SURE, that some of my clients were jealous... but they keep coming and blessing me so oh well. I bought all three just of if my tips so I figured why not. We now have 5 in our house.

If anyone has anything smart to say just say this.... “oh you mean this datejust, this is entry level in the watch world. No big deal”. That’s gets them every time.
Fitz The Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 01:52 AM   #51
watchshot94
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 36
Go for it Anna!
watchshot94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 01:55 AM   #52
DtownRRS
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT/SUB/Daytona
Don't worry about it. Most people would not know a Rolex from any other watch brand. Buy it, wear it, enjoy it and use it to tell the time.
DtownRRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 02:20 AM   #53
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
Great choice in deciding to purchase the watch! Congratualtions!
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 02:32 AM   #54
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Sadly, as you get older you’ll realize that work colleagues will more than likely be both judgemental and bitchy about anything. Its a no-win game trying to please/appease in these scenarios. Be yourself, do what suits you and, always choose individuality over trying to satisfy what others may think or perceive. Tell me in 10 years how you did by taking that route and high road
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 02:50 AM   #55
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
I am a woman and wear a Rolex or AP everyday. Most people have no idea about watches and won't even notice. Go for it
MichelleP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 03:13 AM   #56
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
Who cares what anyone else thinks? It's your life, your money and your watch. Be confident. Be yourself. You don't need colleague's permission to live your life.

Enjoy what you earn for yourself; you work hard and are entitled to nice things, as are others who also work hard.

If you worry about what others think, THEY are controlling your life, not you.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 03:17 AM   #57
Mr. Superlative
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
As others have said, just buy it. The watch is for you, not others. You've worked hard and wish to reward yourself - go for it. Your colleagues have the ability to do the same, if they wish to do so. Buy it, enjoy it, and don't worry one iota about what anyone else thinks.
Mr. Superlative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 03:47 AM   #58
azfishman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Buy the one you want and wear it! Life is too short to worry about what others think. Besides, you showed that you set yourself a goal, achieved it with lots of hard work and justly rewarded yourself.
azfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 03:50 AM   #59
ct.matt
"TRF" Member

Just a word of caution, it's a slippery slope. One day you're spending $3,000 on a Datejust next thing you know you're buying $30,000 Pateks, working from home to intercept the FedEx guy and hiding deliveries from your significant other
ct.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 03:53 AM   #60
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Anxious about buying a Rolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct.matt View Post
Just a word of caution, it's a slippery slope. One day you're spending $3,000 on a Datejust next thing you know you're buying $30,000 Pateks, working from home to intercept the FedEx guy and hiding deliveries from your significant other

go check out the new twenty 4's with the auto movement

current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote