The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 26 April 2019, 12:50 PM   #31
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Our safe deposit box is for priceless and irreplaceable items. And we rarely access it. Would never use it to rotate watches.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 12:50 PM   #32
Laszlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I do not trust these boxes.

My watches are buried outside in the woods. I dig them up when I want to mix it up.

Old 26 April 2019, 03:24 PM   #33
ct.matt
"TRF" Member

Been thinking of getting one for while we're on vacation. Spike in burglaries in West LA lately, even break-ins during early evening hours. What should one expect to pay on average? I'm a Bank of America and Chase customer, wife has an account with Citi.
ct.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 10:00 PM   #34
derekhayden
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BBGMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct.matt View Post
What should one expect to pay on average?
Will depend on size but my bank it's between $25-$100 if I remember correctly.
derekhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2019, 12:58 AM   #35
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
Quote:
Been thinking of getting one for while we're on vacation. Spike in burglaries in West LA lately, even break-ins during early evening hours. What should one expect to pay on average? I'm a Bank of America and Chase customer, wife has an account with Citi.
This is exactly why my watch collection is in the bank, even though I am insured, I want piece of mind and some of my watches would be very hard to replace no to mention a couple have sentimental value. My safe deposit box, which is a medium size box cost $53 per year. I rotate watches about every month or so. I always have 3 to 4 watches at home the rest is in the bank.
Fabrice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2019, 01:03 AM   #36
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I do not trust these boxes.
This is my sentiment, “If you don’t hold it, you don’t own it.”
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2019, 01:04 AM   #37
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
I think that’s wise.

Regardless of your home security, for me there is just more peace of mind with the bank safe deposit box.

Here they range in price from free (depending on your balance) to $60 for a medium size).
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2019, 01:06 AM   #38
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 214270Explorer View Post
AC outlets inside the safes are available with Liberty Lincoln and Franklin models, just to name two. Plus other connections on the passthrough - Ethernet, etc.

Plus the AC available operates a power supply for the LED interior lighting system.
Quite useful, actually. I keep a network storage drive with all of our family pictures (more valuable to me than any watch) connected through Ethernet.
Old 27 April 2019, 01:08 AM   #39
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing View Post
Out of interest, what happens if the bank goes out of business?
Bailout, then business as usual.
Old 27 April 2019, 05:28 AM   #40
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
I've only seen mine once when I placed some stuff there I won't use. I will probably visit it again to store watches while we are out of the country. Home safes are strictly for replaceable items.
CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2019, 06:32 AM   #41
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
Our safe deposit box is for priceless and irreplaceable items. And we rarely access it. Would never use it to rotate watches.
Just curious - what type of stuff do you keep in there? Legal documents, social security card, etc.. that sort of thing? Or what other priceless / irreplaceable items. Heirlooms?

If it's too personal, no need to answer. I don't have a box so curious what other types of items people keep
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2019, 12:20 PM   #42
janice&fred
Banned

Watch: all of them!
Quote:
we just finally got one last november here in cebu city. we learned our lesson the hard way as we lost a bunch of watches and jewelry to a break in while we were only away for a few days. it doesn't take long for nosy perps lurking close by to notice when one is away even if only for a few days. ours costs around $45 and money well spent even if only for when we are traveling.
janice&fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2019, 01:34 PM   #43
Sjmoore11

Watch: Exp II - old & new
I got one when I moved to my current city a couple of years ago. Stored some watches initially because I was living out of a hotel for 3 weeks and there was no way I wanted to have expensive watches sitting around there. After I moved into my home I seldom use it with just a few documents there.
Sjmoore11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2019, 01:53 PM   #44
Laszlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kliminator View Post
Just curious - what type of stuff do you keep in there? Legal documents, social security card, etc.. that sort of thing? Or what other priceless / irreplaceable items. Heirlooms?

If it's too personal, no need to answer. I don't have a box so curious what other types of items people keep
No worries. Pretty much what you’ve described. Stuff that could be lost in a home fire that would be irreplaceable, unretrievable or uninsurable. That’s our rule of thumb. I would recommend a safe deposit box even if it’s a small one. You’d actually be surprised what ends up in there and the peace of mind it provides.

Old 4 May 2019, 04:31 AM   #45
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 214270Explorer View Post
AC outlets inside the safes are available with Liberty Lincoln and Franklin models, just to name two. Plus other connections on the passthrough - Ethernet, etc.

Plus the AC available operates a power supply for the LED interior lighting system.
And dehumidifier

Liberty is great safe
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2019, 06:02 AM   #46
BlueNote
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrpdc View Post
And dehumidifier

Liberty is great safe

Liberty makes a great gun safe. However they and a lot of other home safe manufacturers make fire resistant safes, not burglary safes. A fire resistant safe is not burglary resistant. They have completely different construction and testing standards. Fire resistant safes can easily be opened by a burglar with pry bar tools in 3-5 minutes. Fire resistant safes use fairly thin metal doors and walls that are filled with insulation material to protect against heat. A burglar’s tools will have little trouble prying, cutting, or chiseling into a fire resistant safe. Burglary resistant safes are tool resistant, the door / walls are thicker steel and are filled with a dense tool resistant material to slow down the burglar tools. If you want to store valuables in a home safe go at it but pay close attention to the type of safe and its rating. Burglary resistant UL ratings show tool resistant times like TL-15 or TL-30. Ask a safe expert. Don’t take a chance with a valuable collection. Pro burglars have numerous attack techniques and will have no trouble with a gun / fire resistant safe.
BlueNote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2019, 06:49 AM   #47
illiguy

If you’re extremely risk-averse you can leave a watch in a safe deposit box AND insure it through someone like Jeweler’s Mutual (JM).

JM has something that is called vault restriction, which essentially makes your premium on the bank safe watch de minimis. The tradeoff is that you have to let them know in writing when you plan to take the watch out, and you can’t exceed 8 watch draws within a calendar year.

Again, not for everyone, but may make sense for those members here who have truly collectible, highly-valued watches like vintage 6263 Paul Newmans or Milsubs, etc.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2019, 11:03 AM   #48
MinMay
Banned

Safe Deposit Box?

A safe at home should not be the only deterrent. I hope everyone has multiple camera and storing their footage on a cloud. And of course alarm system. Let them waste time trying to open the safe while the police makes a surprise visit.

An insurance is a waste of money for me. I was quoted 2500 per year. Hell no. I can get a watch every 5 years. And if you insured it under your home insurance and make a claim lol they raised up your insurance fees lol. No thanks.
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2019, 02:40 PM   #49
maylebox
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinMay View Post
A safe at home should not be the only deterrent. I hope everyone has multiple camera and storing their footage on a cloud. And of course alarm system. Let them waste time trying to open the safe while the police makes a surprise visit.

An insurance is a waste of money for me. I was quoted 2500 per year. Hell no. I can get a watch every 5 years. And if you insured it under your home insurance and make a claim lol they raised up your insurance fees lol. No thanks.

This. If you're anywhere near the exterior of my house you're on cloud video. Entrances and interior motion are monitored by my alarm company and additional interior cameras in the house capture and provide cell phone notification. Smart, professional criminals can defeat many systems/safes with enough knowledge, tools, and time but this makes it tougher for them and nearly impossible for the average burglar.
maylebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2019, 03:03 PM   #50
johnk
2024 Pledge Member

A stated value rider to a homeowner's insurance policy is the least expensive policy you're going to find. The additional price on ~$100k of coverage on my Allstate policy is ~$200 per year.

Cloud? LOL.. who exactly has access and controls the "cloud"?

Some perceived TS/SCI vetted magic people in the sky? China? Russia? north Korea?

Establish your own security practices based on your perceived risk.
johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2023, 12:11 AM   #51
mario1971
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS
I have been renting a safe deposit box for two years. The advantages are that I sleep soundly, which has a positive effect on my health. The disadvantage is the distance from the house/business to the deposit center, because sometimes it takes me as much as 45 minutes one way. The annual fee is about $400 for a medium drawer. Each box is insured for $140,000 (regardless of the value of the items stored in it) in case of burglary, fire or other accidental events.
Old 25 October 2023, 12:50 AM   #52
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Keep in mind that a safe deposit box has no guarantee of humidity control and it is always good to have the pieces which are in there insured by a 3rd party. If a bank loses solvency, there is no guarantee of getting it back if they lock their doors. No one expected 2008 but it happened and could happen again.

I keep mine in a safe, in a locked closet, bolted to the floor and the wall. Thieves would first have to get by my cameras alerting me, then breaking into the house, then breaking into the locked closet and then cutting open the safe. It would take quite a bit of time and a ton of noise and the neighbors would be on them quickly if I wasnt home.
Old 25 October 2023, 01:33 PM   #53
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinMay View Post
IMG_4181.jpeg
“I’ll bet you think you’re leaving with those watches.”
Old 26 October 2023, 09:23 AM   #54
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
While this is an older thread, FWIW, I would highly recommend considering investing in a quality mid-security or high-security safe that is installed properly. You won't have to drive somewhere just to get your watch to wear, and there are safes that are appropriate for just about any collection size.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2023, 09:28 PM   #55
JSol1

We use our Safe Deposit box to store the watches that aren’t coming with us when we go on vacation. The rest of the time they are all at home.
We live in a Condo where a safe isn’t practical. They are insured. My biggest concern is fire not theft…
JSol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2023, 10:41 PM   #56
TC94
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
I’m currently looking at Brown Safes.

Possibly this one, the 4018 with the ballistic addition: https://www.brownsafe.com/man-safe/specs-4018.html

Anyone have any thoughts on that brand?

1200 lbs, bolted to floor, alarm triggers app on phone, etc.

I live in a rural area, so a break in is unlikely. But if it did happen, they’d have some time before anyone get there.
TC94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2023, 12:35 AM   #57
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
My understanding also is the bank offers no security on these boxes should something happen to the physical bank. I think the boxes are meant for valuables not frequently used or needed. To put watches in there to be regularly rotated requiring regular multiple weekly visits, probably doesn't make the bank too happy.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2023, 10:31 AM   #58
carwash66

Watch: Rolex/Tudor
Just a few thoughts about safes.
Some people I know proudly have their shiny, automotive style painted safe on display in their great room, library, home office, etc…
Having a TL Burglary rated safe is a wise choice. It would also be wise to have it hidden from prying eyes. Even close friends could talk to others about your beautiful safe.
The thieves don’t need to have the skills to breach the safe, they could just wait until you are home and threaten you or a loved one to open it.
Crazy world out there.
Old 27 October 2023, 12:38 PM   #59
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC94 View Post
I’m currently looking at Brown Safes.

Possibly this one, the 4018 with the ballistic addition: https://www.brownsafe.com/man-safe/specs-4018.html

Anyone have any thoughts on that brand?

1200 lbs, bolted to floor, alarm triggers app on phone, etc.

I live in a rural area, so a break in is unlikely. But if it did happen, they’d have some time before anyone get there.
They build a good safe with excellent finishing, but the Man Safe does carry a pricing premium on it for the cosmetic/design features. If you're buying one of their higher levels (think TL-15 or greater) and you like the watch-specific design features it comes with, you're getting a solid level of security and, FWIW, I think it is a good choice--there aren't very many safes out there that are designed around watches and also have solid burglary resistance, but this does. However, if you are not overly concerned about cosmetic/design features, you could get some pretty extreme high-security safes with 6-sided torch and tool protection for less money (for example, this is a TRTL-30x6 safe).
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2023, 09:07 AM   #60
stockae92
"TRF" Member

I use bank safe deposit box for my watches. I don't need all of them to be at home, I just rotate them from time to time. Super easy.
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote