The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: Which is polished
Sub 16 19.51%
GMT 46 56.10%
Both 20 24.39%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11 August 2019, 11:48 AM   #31
Bladeshot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
GMT on left was polished. Why? My thought is that i think I see a slight rounding of the gold edge, between each link and on the end link. A common occurrence and even worse when you have an unskilled person doing the work. Those areas can get much more rounded, and will, even with the best polishing, over the years. Also, I see slight rounding on the bottom of the lug, the bottom of the case.

Sub on right has not been polished. Looks more crisp.

That’s my guess.
Old 11 August 2019, 12:03 PM   #32
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastBias View Post
That has literally nothing to do with your argument about the existence of any chamfer.
Enlarge the pic...it’s has a slight bevel...people believe its unpolished more than the gmt....proving my point. Take care
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2019, 12:09 PM   #33
LeftCoastBias
"TRF" Member

Watch: I AM BATMAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
Enlarge the pic...it’s has a slight bevel...people believe its unpolished more than the gmt....proving my point. Take care

I also believe the GMT on the left was polished and the sub was not.

But that doesn’t change the fact that neither of them came with a bevel, nor do they have one in those photos...

- Sent via iPhone. Please excuse any typos or brevity in my message
| …and more…
LeftCoastBias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2019, 12:39 PM   #34
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchdisplay View Post
There’s nothing to be told my friend. I have pre ceramics here also which DO have the chamfer. Rolex does NOT chamfer modern gmt or sub.
Correct. All case edges are "sharp". Looks like both have been polished! The SS case lug tops are rounded and softened. Should be sharp edged. Both have seen a buffing wheel. My 2c
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2019, 12:50 PM   #35
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona

Another angle.
Old 11 August 2019, 12:58 PM   #36
maxymax
"TRF" Member

The sub
maxymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2019, 01:26 PM   #37
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Ok, but why did they put a chamfer on a watch that is not meant to have one? They had a slow day and felt like having a look see what a chamfer would be like on an 114060? I just struggle to see what would motivate them to change the watch fundamentally and put in all the work needed to "achieve" that. I would frankly be devastated if that was my watch.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2019, 01:43 PM   #38
Xyza0722
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me go
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchdisplay View Post

Again here is a macro of my lug on my sub. Here is absolutely NO bevel.
Totally agree 100%....no bevel, chamfer or whatever anyone wants to call it on new larger case, 6 digit GMT.
My 6 digit untouched GMT and there is no bevel at all. Edges are pretty crisp and sharp.
My 5 digit GMT 16710 just back from RSC HK has a refinished case/bevel done to factory spec and my untouched GMT 16710 also has the bevel.

Compared side to side it’s pretty obvious
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 436D4D3D-E76D-41EA-988C-628DF0A2E7E2.jpeg (134.1 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpeg 72CC216E-C3CE-41BE-918A-442297FA8E60.jpeg (127.2 KB, 247 views)
Xyza0722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2019, 01:48 PM   #39
Bozack90
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
my gmt does not have a "bevel" on the lugs that I can tell
Bozack90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2019, 02:30 PM   #40
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Same sub, different angle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_7044.jpeg (234.4 KB, 232 views)
EEpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2019, 03:06 PM   #41
Seibei
Banned

Looks a lot better from that angle, but why polish a practically new watch, and why soften the case?
Old 11 August 2019, 03:24 PM   #42
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
Looks a lot better from that angle, but why polish a practically new watch, and why soften the case?

Hmmm... who says I did? Will post final answer tomorrow.
Old 11 August 2019, 03:36 PM   #43
Seibei
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Hmmm... who says I did? Will post final answer tomorrow.
This photo says you did. Either this photo has some reflections that are completely deceiving, or the case has in fact been softened as it looks like in the photo. The polished side also looks a bit less mirror like and more frosty than a factory fresh watch looks like.

While I am here, let me say that if "Beverly Hills termineur" did in fact polish the GMT, then their workmanship is truly impeccable and worth recommending.
Old 11 August 2019, 06:40 PM   #44
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Another angle.
My vote was for GMT initially, it still stays for GMT, The reflections just look more uniform on the Sub, whereas on the GMT to me it looks like the surface isn't as straight. Oh well.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2019, 06:49 PM   #45
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

They both look polished to me. The edges of the lugs on both look softer than the nearly new and untouched Sub and GMT in my possession.
Old 12 August 2019, 12:17 AM   #46
77T

Beverly Hills RSC Polish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
They both look polished to me. The edges of the lugs on both look softer than the nearly new and untouched Sub and GMT in my possession.

You are right - both were polished.

The difference is one was polished at Beverly Hills RSC and the other was polished elsewhere, namely the factory.

All Rolex cases are polished while being finished. Of course we WIS look at all the original case elements when one has returned from a service and can find fault here or there with a bevel, a chamfer, a lug or two and a bezel. A bad case of OCD develops later when photos are shared and forum kibitzers chime-in.

A lot like this thread

All the OP wanted to share was his pleasure with a job well done by the BH RSC (who, by the way, is not a termineur in the strict definition of the term).

I think they did a great job judging by what I can see in the pictures, regardless of the naysayers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2019, 12:22 AM   #47
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
That's the best hair pic I have ever seen on TRF.
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2019, 12:23 AM   #48
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

The gmt was serviced by rsc bh, the sub is 1 week old unpolished

Half of the voters thought both were polished or just sub, and half got it right. The answer is the GMT. It is a 2013-purchased 116713 built in ~2011 (engraved rehaut and green superluminova which looks great against gold).

The Sub 114060 is brand new and was wearing stickers last Friday. AD and I peeled them. It has not, and never will be, polished post-factory.

Several of you eagle-eyed Rolex lovers picked up on the curvature in the sides!

Several of you would be disappointed to own such a factory new 114060. My factory new 216570 looks just the same and so would your unpolished watches under the same lighting conditions. Most people don't bother to photograph factory new watches under unfavorable conditions that test those interfaces, so you might not see a lot for comparison.

I'm sharing this because I received my watch Friday from RSC and I wanted to see how good they did. So I pulled out my week old sub and < 1 week old explorer II and I was surprised to find out that the interface between brushed and polished surfaces on the lugs and edges of bracelet links is not a dead ringer for a good polish, only a bad one. The true poker tell is the curvature of what should be flat reflections and the rounding of the SEL's PCL.
Old 12 August 2019, 12:26 AM   #49
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
This photo says you did. Either this photo has some reflections that are completely deceiving, or the case has in fact been softened as it looks like in the photo. The polished side also looks a bit less mirror like and more frosty than a factory fresh watch looks like.

While I am here, let me say that if "Beverly Hills termineur" did in fact polish the GMT, then their workmanship is truly impeccable and worth recommending.
Beverly Hills finisher did the GMT, and nailed it. The sub is factory. The lighting isn't deceiving but unflattering bringing a reflection in the polish right up to the brushing to see how good their robot finisher did in Geneva.
Old 12 August 2019, 02:09 AM   #50
77T

Quote:
The lighting isn't deceiving but unflattering bringing a reflection in the polish right up to the brushing to see how good their robot finisher did in Geneva.

There were some sections of the new Sub that made me wonder. Brushed surfaces don’t normally reflect the way some of those sections appeared to me.

Are you concerned about the areas I circled below? Looks like dirt, plastic vestiges, or damage?

Old 12 August 2019, 02:30 AM   #51
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Grave concerns.

It's a mote of dust suspended in a sun beam. You've circled skin/dust specks and the artifacts of compression tend to exacerbate regions of high dynamic range like the scintillation / glint around dust.

I've been wearing it for a week and it has pocket lint, skin, dust, and a little olive oil on it from cooking.

The item you circled in the lower left is a perfect mirror image of the lower left lug in real life but the camera can't resolve it. It looks great. Check out last pic.

That was one of my points of sharing. I think too often we blame polishing for a variety of photographic aberrations and lighting conditions. I could make a polished watch look sharp with diffuse lighting and steep angles.

In the last pic you can see the knife edge lug's reflection in the bracelet perfectly, but now my lug has glinted and looks oh so polished because the iPhone camera is having trouble focusing on that razor edge diffraction.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_7065.jpeg (231.3 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_7064.jpeg (277.5 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_7067.jpeg (244.3 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_7068.jpeg (136.8 KB, 119 views)
Old 12 August 2019, 02:51 AM   #52
77T

Ah thanks for the extra images.

Nice to know at least one of the watchmakers polishing at BH RSC is superb at that skillset.

Tags
beverly hills , polish , rsc , service