The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 August 2019, 02:15 PM   #31
maxymax
"TRF" Member

May be that was a fake for all you know.
maxymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 02:24 PM   #32
yawgmoths
"TRF" Member

I assume this took place in NYC since you are from there. People in NYC don't have time to talk unless you are important, especially a guy wearing a platona. He is probably in a rush to close another million $ deal somewhere.
yawgmoths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 03:09 PM   #33
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexryan329 View Post
So yesterday, while waiting for my drink at starbucks, I saw somebody wearing a platona. It was my first time ever seeing one in the wild and since I was wearing my sub, I figured we could talk about watches a bit. We were essentially side by side waiting for our drinks so I said a simple "hey man, nice watch". He didn't turn around for a few seconds and when he finally did, he gave me a quick grin and that was it. I felt like maybe I shouldn't have said anything at all. Maybe he thought I was blowing up his spot but I wasn't loud or obnoxious about it. I think from here out, I'll keep to myself as much as I'd rather give a compliment

What do you do when you see a grail watch in the wild?

Probably a finance guy. Don’t take it personally.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 03:16 PM   #34
jerryguo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, Lange
Better to talk about cars than watches. I think staring at somebody’s wrist will make most comfortable.
jerryguo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 03:45 PM   #35
Uggi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchNutcase View Post
In some cultures it would also be seen as rude to approach someone about their watch, like some European countries.
True. I'm English and I wouldn't like someone in a Starbucks queue commenting on my watch or anything else I was wearing. Not one bit.
Rude, invasive, presumptuous and downright weird is how it would come across to me. I would have reacted similarly.
Uggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 03:59 PM   #36
Muxi
"TRF" Member

My spidey senses would be tingling except when I am at a safe gathering like a party or a hotel environment.

Remember the story where an elderly man got recently robbed of his watch on the street? The perp approached him and talked about watches before running of with the watch.
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 04:19 PM   #37
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I can’t believe nobody has said that’s a completely acceptable response. He smiled. That’s a subtle thanks.

You can’t expect him to check your wrist and then engage in a conversation. Odds are you aren’t wearing a Rolex and he looks like an idiot.

I would have said thanks but he might not be so social.
Old 13 August 2019, 04:24 PM   #38
junamuan
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I think it depends where I am. When at home and in my hood and if someone notices my watch I would gladly acknowledge it.

But if on vacation or biz travel somewhere not my comfort zone, would probably have different reaction.
junamuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 04:43 PM   #39
DoDe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchNutcase View Post
Yes its definitely awkward, exactly how I feel about it. I like to talk about watches online, or at a watch event, and with friends, but with random strangers something feels off.
Cause you know they might ask you questions like: «What kind of watch-protection do you use?» or «Which Rolex do you think is the best investment?».
DoDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 04:51 PM   #40
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

NEVER speak to strangers in the general public about their watch.

When I was a young Fleetlord, I used to chat up peeps about their watches, but I learned quickly that they ARE not that into their own watch to discuss it with a stranger and they can't really understand why you would be...

The Rules.

1) If you are member of TRF, then there is no reason to talk to strangers hoping they are WIS...Plenty of those conversations to be had here...as in depth as you could possibly want.

2) 99% of the general public that wear a Rolex know little to nothing about it expect for it's a ROLEX and it's the Best and that subsequently makes them BEST. That attitude will make itself apparent rather quickly.

3) The conversation will more than likely be disappointing and awkward. That will lead to you needing to tell TRF members about, when if you had followed rule #1, then you wouldn't have to cope with the gnarly encounter and debrief.

My only exception to the rule is if I'm at an AD and another shopper has something interesting on, but that really depend on the situation and the vibes that are being off gassed.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 05:25 PM   #41
FloridaSam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post

When I was a young Fleetlord, I used to chat up peeps about their watches, but I learned quickly that they ARE not that into their own watch to discuss it with a stranger and they can't really understand why you would be...

The Rules.

1) If you are member of TRF, then there is no reason to talk to strangers hoping they are WIS...Plenty of those conversations to be had here...as in depth as you could possibly want.

2) 99% of the general public that wear a Rolex know little to nothing about it expect for it's a ROLEX and it's the Best and that subsequently makes them BEST. That attitude will make itself apparent rather quickly.

3) The conversation will more than likely be disappointing and awkward. That will lead to you needing to tell TRF members about, when if you had followed rule #1, then you wouldn't have to cope with the gnarly encounter and debrief.

My only exception to the rule is if I'm at an AD and another shopper has something interesting on, but that really depend on the situation and the vibes that are being off gassed.
FloridaSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 05:36 PM   #42
mahefa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes
I did comment a ’Daytona’ once. She was not happy of reality check given.
♛Deepsea Blue -17 ♛ Deepsea Blue -19 ♛Deepsea Black ♛Explorer I ♛Explorer II ♛ Explorer 1 ♛GMT-Master II BLNR ♛ Sky-Dweller Blue ♛ Sky-Dweller Black ♛ AirKing ♛ Day-Date 40 Platinum ♛ Daytona C White ♛ Submariner LVc ♛ Two-Tone Submariner ♛ Day-Date 36 ♛ Datejust 41 grey ♛
mahefa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 05:52 PM   #43
Tarmbomb
"TRF" Member

I find this very situation dependent. As others have said, mood, location and a myriad of other factors all influence a person's reaction.
My general tact is to say "Nice watch" which is open and allows them to say as much ir as little as they like back or also saying something a little bit more specific to show that you are a WIS as in "I really like your Aquanaut".
Don't be discouraged I wouldn't say this was a negative outcome.
Tarmbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 06:12 PM   #44
rominvicta
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, BLNR, SM, GM
Imagine it was a copycat? You wouldn’t feel like talking to someone, would you?
rominvicta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 06:13 PM   #45
rominvicta
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, BLNR, SM, GM
Quote:

The Rules.

Spot on.
rominvicta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 06:54 PM   #46
kans86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggi View Post
True. I'm English and I wouldn't like someone in a Starbucks queue commenting on my watch or anything else I was wearing. Not one bit.
Rude, invasive, presumptuous and downright weird is how it would come across to me. I would have reacted similarly.
+1 that’s frank and true.
kans86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 06:56 PM   #47
RMC12
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf/Hulk/1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
Agreed. You never know what convo will come of it. I noticed a Day Date on a plane and struck up a convo. He was a TV producer, cannabis producer who got his diamond encrusted rose gold Day Date from his dad who passed away.
I did the same thing on a flight with a guy who was wearing a Diamond encrusted Platinum DD. We ended up trying each others watches and talk for ages about them and Rolex in general. Made the flight go a lot quicker too!!
RMC12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 06:57 PM   #48
listentoyoureyes
"TRF" Member

Not many people know how to take compliments.
listentoyoureyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 06:57 PM   #49
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
You weren't lying.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 07:04 PM   #50
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:

The Rules.

I know where you're coming from but this was a Platona wearer. It's a long shot to say he probably knew nothing about it. I suppose it's possible...'I like the blue Rolex. How much is that? Ok. I'll take it.'
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 07:21 PM   #51
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Maybe he didn't speak English?
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 08:03 PM   #52
rlx123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
That's possible, but it'd be tacky for two guys who know what it is to mention price.

I am playing the devil’s advocate. Sometimes the phrase “nice watch” can hint to some nearby shady individuals that the watch is expensive. The guy might feel uncomfortable because that alone might get him mugged later. I don’t feel comfortable having someone compliment on my watch within earshot of other people in a big crowd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rlx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 08:06 PM   #53
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I don’t open up with “nice watch”.

Seldom comment, but if anything I might say “how do you like the ___________?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Absolutely agree. Most people, especially when commented on a Rolex will think you just comment them because it's a Rolex. But if you say something along the lines of: "Wow, that Platona is really nice looking, never saw one in person before." or something like that, they're more likely to recognize that you comment not just because you saw Rolex name, but because you actually know your watches.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 08:10 PM   #54
rlx123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxymax View Post
May be that was a fake for all you know.

That is so true. A guy wearing a fake watch might feel uncomfortable talking about it out of fear you might ask to dee it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rlx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 08:19 PM   #55
Brew
"TRF" Member

I don't want the attention, and I assume others are the same. I don't randomly comment on other people's watches.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 10:10 PM   #56
descartes
"TRF" Member

The Platona appeals to certain buyers because it looks like just a steel watch to the unknowing masses. I suspect the person wearing this one doesn’t care for unwanted attention, and I don’t blame him.

Also, if you ask me, it pretty awkward and unsettling when a complete stranger essentially calls you out for wearing an unusually expensive item. (As someone else mentioned, this can be a pre-cursor to a theft, or at the very least, unwanted attention). This underscores the point of the Platona’s appeal as an under the radar “steel-looking” watch.
Old 13 August 2019, 10:14 PM   #57
Centron
"TRF" Member

Just mind your own business.
Centron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 10:17 PM   #58
Rollie Gent
"TRF" Member

I like it when people (WIS) comment on my watch when it's a more private situation. I tend to get embarrassed when someone says something around a large group of people. If that happens, I will just say thanks and try to move on. I guess I feel guilty for having a watch on my wrist that may cost the yearly salary of others that maybe present.
Rollie Gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 10:20 PM   #59
marc12
Banned

Watch: Blue Steel SD
i was in boston’s back bay a few months ago and someone across the street yelled “NICE SKYDWELLER” as i was walking. i yelled back thanks and kept walking
marc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 10:21 PM   #60
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
I typically say a nice comment, and don't particularly care about the reaction. If the other person responds positively, we may exchange a few sentences. Otherwise, I go my own way.

Right after reading this I went out to an electronics shop to buy a new router and the customer who was before me was wearing a beautiful black dial 16520. I was thinking about this post and didn't say anything :(
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote