The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 August 2019, 08:23 PM   #31
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
I'm not OCD with scratches but in this case (28k new gold watch) I will demand a solution.

Enviado desde mi SM-G975F mediante Tapatalk
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 08:46 PM   #32
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
I’d certainly be upset.

Not because there was a scratch, but rather because of where it is.

How does that happen? There’s no reason for anything metallic or otherwise to be near the caseback. And it should have rested on a scratch proof cradle or cloth.

That’s pure negligence, not an honest error changing a strap.
Agreed.

Someone (let’s call them Sarah or Bob) clearly needs a refresher course in how to change a bracelet.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 08:52 PM   #33
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Very disappointing for the OP. I would call the manager and set up an appointment to return to the store. I would let the manager look at the watch and see what they have to say and what they propose the solution to be. You are not getting a new watch or case back so don't even set your expectations up for that. I would believe they would offer to correct the scratches. I would be hesitant to allow them to do this instore for the job they did changing the strap. I would ask that the watch go to the RSC for repairs and that they provide you with all of the documentation when the watch returns. No easy answer but it must be addressed. Good luck.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 08:59 PM   #34
Bozack90
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Very disappointing for the OP. I would call the manager and set up an appointment to return to the store. I would let the manager look at the watch and see what they have to say and what they propose the solution to be. You are not getting a new watch or case back so don't even set your expectations up for that. I would believe they would offer to correct the scratches. I would be hesitant to allow them to do this instore for the job they did changing the strap. I would ask that the watch go to the RSC for repairs and that they provide you with all of the documentation when the watch returns. No easy answer but it must be addressed. Good luck.
That is difficult, I have had a dealer scratch a new steel watch i purchased sizing the bracelet but that was about it, then again I try not to let them do much.

Good luck and will be interested in hearing how this turns out, I do think this above is pretty sensible advice, if they do offer a service as this poster said make sure Rolex handles it, not the dealer
Bozack90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 09:08 PM   #35
DP63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078
First off, that is completely unacceptable for an AD to allow you to walk out of the door knowing they caused that damage.

If it were my watch, and knowing the price of a replacement 18k case back, I'd be pushing the AD to have that replaced.
Old 26 August 2019, 09:10 PM   #36
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

That's awful. I feel bad when I notice a scratch I have caused myself, so can fully understand you being disgruntled about this by someone who is supposed to be a professional. That being said, YMMV and some people don't mind too much about scratches, and with them on the back you might decide you can tolerate them until the next service if the AD will look after you another way.

I'd go in store to speak to the manager, but before you do, consider what would make you feel better. Would you be happy with the watch being polished, and if so would you be happy with them polishing it in store, or would you prefer it being sent to RSC on the understanding that you will be without it for a while? Would you prefer a new case back? Do you want first dibs on the next SS model they get in? Do you want to return the watch completely?

Although I feel your pain, only you will know what will fix this...good luck!
nighthawk77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 09:23 PM   #37
Explorer2polar
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR , Sub C, Exp
Oh Brother, I would go absolutely mad with them and ask for a New Watch.

This really highlights the disregard that some Rolex AD SA's have for customers property, I have noticed the decline in quality AD staff over the last 5 years.

From Rolex AD SA's calling me "Mate", to not returning phone calls, slamming my watch down on the counter! are a few recent encounters with UK SA's.

I believe they receive their Customer Care Training by online training program's, which seems to me as money wasted.
Explorer2polar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 09:24 PM   #38
Jostack
"TRF" Member

What’s the deal with the stamped circles in the back of the case near the lugs? One looks like a stamped circle, the other looks like it was double struck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jostack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 09:27 PM   #39
AJV_36
Banned

Watch: Submariner w/date
Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
RSC on their cost and use it to your advantage ..

This. I in no way would just get over it! I would not go in yelling either. But if you’re in the states from what I’ve read I would require it to be sent to Rolex service center in Dallas at AD cost for insured shipping and the required work. Period. No other solution in my mind

AJV_36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 09:34 PM   #40
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Go back in, be interested to see what lengths ADs go to now to make things right.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 09:48 PM   #41
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228206meteorite
yeeeesh. i’m pretty blown away by the fact that they wouldn’t point this out to you.

i would think a replacement caseback on their dime for one, plus potentially an expedited visit to an RSC (is there such a thing as an expedited visit?) might be a fair way of handling this. clearly not something that an AD should let happen.

someone above said that the likelihood of a new caseback was slim; i’m curious why that may be so?
Old 26 August 2019, 09:58 PM   #42
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Rolex dealers have always been doing this. Last week the sales associate could have been taking your order at Wendy’s . People just assume because it’s a Rolex dealer that workers have a special skill set. They don’t. Never give your watch to a AD after the sale. I learned this the hard way 20 years ago.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 09:59 PM   #43
sharadforworld
"TRF" Member

The damage is done and polishing is not necessary as its on the back. Having said that you should express your frustration and tell them that you don’t want replacement but least they can do is give you your other rare favorite watch. This would go long way.
sharadforworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 10:05 PM   #44
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228206meteorite
i once damaged a customer’s diamond tweeter in a b&w speaker that was in my shop for service on another issue. it was totally accidental, but also totally my fault. i ordered the replacement tweeter immediately, had it shipped overnight (i paid for the shipping myself) and installed it the next day. i called my client and informed him after i had ordered the replacement, took responsibility, and explained to him that his speaker would be fixed and installed with no additional delay.

folks not taking responsibility sucks.
Old 26 August 2019, 10:10 PM   #45
Manu74
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 | LVc | SkyD
This is not acceptable at all.
Let them fix it in a proper way and the least they can offer you is a SS piece of choice at retail.

Beautiful watch BTW!
Manu74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 10:18 PM   #46
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Sorry for the damage to the watch, it really shouldn't have happened, I hope that you and the AD can work things out for an amicable resolution.

But for the rest of us maybe there are some points that we can take on board to stop the same from happening to us, firstly and most importantly we can ensure that we take photographs of our watch before we hand it over, images are date and time stamped if proof is required later.

We can also take a few images or a video in the AD's before the watch is handed over that way you are politely telling the dealer that the condition of the watch is noted and that you will be inspecting it on return.

An apology can be offered to the AD for doing this in front of them but explain that 'someone I know' had a bracelet changed by the AD and the AD accidentally scratched the case and didn't say anything, the owner didn't see the scratch until later on at home when they complained the AD denied doing it.

After all we pay a lot of money for our watches, we need to ensure that those we trust to look after them and work on them are aware that there are standards that we expect the Ad to keep.

Just my few cents worth of opinion.
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 10:22 PM   #47
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Ouch. Appalling.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 10:28 PM   #48
VegasMilgauss
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear OP, time to bang the desk!
VegasMilgauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 10:30 PM   #49
ozwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Yeah I wouldn’t be to happy about that. See the manager and see what they can do for you. Had to be some sort of compensation
ozwatchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 10:33 PM   #50
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jostack View Post
What’s the deal with the stamped circles in the back of the case near the lugs? One looks like a stamped circle, the other looks like it was double struck?
Those are hallmarks. They're supposed to be there.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 10:47 PM   #51
koobitz
"TRF" Member

Thank you to everyone who chimed in and provided advice. Some of the cheeky comments definitely helped soften the blow haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackumi View Post
That damage is totally unacceptable. It looks like they used the Begeon tweezer type of tool to remove the strap pins (see attached), but they let the edges of the arms gouge the case back as they were using it. The pictures show the correct way to use it so as to keep the arms away from the watch body.
wow... I can't even imagine how this all unfolded in the back room... that would explain why the scratches are on both ends and is likely what transpired!

I know a lot of you have stated I should use this to get my next piece but I am not sure how I feel about it to be honest. Sure, a SS DaytonaC white dial sounds great but with how the two reps handled me yesterday I just feel uneasy now. I am honestly shocked as I was looking to build a relationship with this AD and further my collection with them... let's see what happens when I go in today.
koobitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 10:54 PM   #52
koobitz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post
Sorry for the damage to the watch, it really shouldn't have happened, I hope that you and the AD can work things out for an amicable resolution.

But for the rest of us maybe there are some points that we can take on board to stop the same from happening to us, firstly and most importantly we can ensure that we take photographs of our watch before we hand it over, images are date and time stamped if proof is required later.

We can also take a few images or a video in the AD's before the watch is handed over that way you are politely telling the dealer that the condition of the watch is noted and that you will be inspecting it on return.

An apology can be offered to the AD for doing this in front of them but explain that 'someone I know' had a bracelet changed by the AD and the AD accidentally scratched the case and didn't say anything, the owner didn't see the scratch until later on at home when they complained the AD denied doing it.

After all we pay a lot of money for our watches, we need to ensure that those we trust to look after them and work on them are aware that there are standards that we expect the Ad to keep.

Just my few cents worth of opinion.
I think I will be doing so in the future. I never thought something like this could actually take place in a reputable establishment. The worst part of all of this is that I actually took pictures of my watch out of boredom as I waited for Bob to free up and change the bracelet... just not of the case back

Old 26 August 2019, 10:58 PM   #53
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Yes it sucks but it's an easy fix. It can be easily polished out and made like new.

Not worth getting upset over. Bring it back and ask that it be repaired.

Also - gorgeous watch! My favorite combo on the OysterFlex.
Old 26 August 2019, 11:05 PM   #54
koobitz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchflair View Post
Yes it sucks but it's an easy fix. It can be easily polished out and made like new.

Not worth getting upset over. Bring it back and ask that it be repaired.

Also - gorgeous watch! My favorite combo on the OysterFlex.
What concerns me the most is the dent between the lugs as I am not sure how that would be fixed without ruining the edge...

Old 26 August 2019, 11:21 PM   #55
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
That's unfortunate. Mind you, these things can happen since we are all human. Of course if it were to happen to mine, I would also be furious! But what is far worse in my opinion is that they did not mention anything to you when they handed you the watch back, and at least try to offer ways to fix it. The person who did the scratch must have noticed! It's not something you can miss...
That's bad business ethics.
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 11:21 PM   #56
Andrejb
2024 Pledge Member

Let us know what happens. Subbed

Andrejb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 11:30 PM   #57
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanask211 View Post
Yah its a deep scratch probably due to mishandling of tools. But if you expect to get a new piece then I think unlikely to take place. Just go for a polish and get rid of it. Life is short and just enjoy it... Nothing is flawless.

Sent from my HMA-L29 using Tapatalk
What ridiculous logic... nothing is flawless? The guy took his great condition $28k watch in for a service-related issue and they put deep scratches in it through negligence... OF COURSE HE SHOULD BE PISSED! Honestly, I read some post on here that have me scratching my head in wonder at the bizarre thought processes that go into them.

The AD needs to remedy the situation ASAP and I would be demanding it be returned to the condition I gave it in as well as a grovelling apology for trying to mislead me. Saying "mistakes happen, we are all human" is not applicable in this situation when dealing with a watch that cost more than many people can save in a year. Unless of course, you are so far removed from reality and material concerns that it genuinely is of no concern to you when someone negligently and carelessly damages your $28k watch. It then becomes their responsibility to rectify the situation.
xrole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 11:42 PM   #58
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
Go back and explain the situation as soon as possible. They should not question the matter when they see the immaculate condition of the piece.
Had a similar incident a few years back with a AP that I dropped of my AD.... One need to start asking if a trained watchmaker will perform the task.
Old 26 August 2019, 11:50 PM   #59
Mr DateJust
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Go back and return the watch. Get them to source you a new one. This is one of my pet hates. It happens a lot when screw heads too on bracelets. They use the wrong type of screw drivers to remove links and chew up the screw heads. Sales people should not be doing any “work” on a watch period.
Mr DateJust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 11:54 PM   #60
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Let’s look at the attitude of the clerk working at the Rolex store. They probably view it as selling expensive watches to rich people. It’s a lack of attention to detail and assuming the wealthy client won’t care as “its only a watch”. This is the same crap that goes on when low skilled mechanics rotate wheels on luxury cars and ding up the wheels with their impact wrench. It’s just a wheel and the owner will never notice.
I had a Rolex sales clerk try to tighten my crown of my Bluesy as tight as he could stretching the threads of the tube. He did this in front of me while telling me of its not super right, water can get in.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
116500ln , 116518ln , damage , damaged