The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 September 2019, 05:09 AM   #31
GarbanzoNegro
"TRF" Member

-4/+6 used to be in the 5 digits that were COSC. Like my Submariner from 2003 (not COSC). ;-)
GarbanzoNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 06:14 AM   #32
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
I guess I must be in the minority.
I own 4 Rolex and my wife 3, and between us, numerous other brands of automatic watches.
I have no clue as to if they run fast or slow and will never have a clue as won’t bother to check.
Same here, does not bother me at all
Old 24 September 2019, 06:54 AM   #33
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Copy the post of Peter from Llanfairpwllgwyng (gotta love that name) and take it or email it to your knowledge-less AD.

this, AD

He certainly could use the schooling.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 06:59 AM   #34
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Quote:
I own 4 Rolex and my wife 3, and between us, numerous other brands of automatic watches.
I have no clue as to if they run fast or slow and will never have a clue as won’t bother to check.
I have a few that run +2 sec/day, and I wear them for months at a time without care as to accuracy.

By the time they would get very far off, I have already rotated for another model.

2 sec/day is something that would not likely bother me over a span of maybe 9 months (9 minutes) or more? Anyway -- not a big deal for me.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 07:12 AM   #35
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
good man !
Old 24 September 2019, 07:19 AM   #36
Greg Bell
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Milgauss
I love keeping up with it. My Milgauss loses about 1 sec all day during wear, and will lose 2 if I wear it to bed, and gain 1.5 if I put it on the bed stand facing up. It’s like a mechanical pet.
Greg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 07:21 AM   #37
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
Quote:

Yep I am constantly setting my watches because of rotation. So i would only know if the watch is slow/fast in MINUTES not in SECONDS.
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 07:27 AM   #38
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Thanks!

But its not on Rolexes website from what I can tell.

From my perspective, it means that once it leaves the factory, its qualified per their red seal 'normal use' standard.

What happens in transit, at the AD or Grey is where things change.

is this what you are talking about?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 4.26.11 PM.jpg (29.6 KB, 124 views)
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 07:30 AM   #39
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
4/6 was when it was lative, now its superlative.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 07:32 AM   #40
brandog
Banned

My 3 year old hulk keeps +1/-1 second A MONTH.

Send it back and get it regulated.
brandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 07:36 AM   #41
Jona
Banned

Watch: 116618LN
My most accurate watch is my Panerai 176 without a second hand and no minute markers.
Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 07:38 AM   #42
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandog View Post
My 3 year old hulk keeps +1/-1 second A MONTH.

Send it back and get it regulated.
if you change your wearing habits significantly it will change. IE if you wear it every day 24/7 for two weeks and test it. Then wear it every other day for two weeks and test it. Put it on a winder for two weeks and test it.

gravity will affect the movement and over a long enough period of time it matters a lot how its being worn since we are talking about tiny deviations
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 24 September 2019, 07:38 AM   #43
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Now many members have seemed to have caught this latest -2+2 syndrome plus the many others APS {Alignment point syndrome} CCTS {constant checking time syndrome}.Now regarding the latest -2+2 spec what in the real world does this mean.Well first the bare uncased movement is tested to the Swiss chronometer standard at the COSC which is a AVERAGE of between -4+6 seconds over any 24 hour period. And when testing in the first 10 days of said test the movement could vary by 10 seconds in a single 24 hours and still pass the test.After movement gets certified and passes its shipped back to Rolex in there hundreds then stored till needed to match to a case.Now if its true Rolex must re-regulate and test on a machines perhaps many at a time to this new specification a AVERAGE-2+2. What does this mean well in the real world it was tested on a machine and passed said test at the time of testing, much like the certification at the COSC. Now this test does not mean the movement will be -2+2 every single day for life.As on the wrist its a bit different to what the test on a machine,already some on forum wanting to rush out and regulate because there watch was only showing a consistent +4 seconds.So got to ask myself are these 2 seconds either way out of 86400 in a day all that important are they life threatening in any way.Would these two seconds or so dramatically have a effect on anyone's daily routine, if it does then I feel very sorry for them.There comes a point in life when all these OCD issues start to take the enjoyment out of wearing any Rolex watch.So guys please get rid of all these OCDs and start enjoying your watches for what they are,one of the finest mechanical watches made today. Life is far to short to worry and fret over these very minor trivialities like a couple of seconds trust me from one that knows.
Very well said, sir.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 07:48 AM   #44
alphasports
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
So I take it you are not going to wear any mechanical watches? None are accurate. All will have a variance.
Agreed.

I am a professional timekeeper for major sports events, since 1984, including every Olympics, World Athletics Champs, Alpine Ski racing, Swimming, Equestrian, Triathlon, F1, Indycar, NASCAR, you name it pretty much any sport that requires live-to-broadcast running clocks.

We don't time with watches, we time with highly accurate (1/100,000 sec timebase, truncated to 1/100 or 1/1000) temperature-compensated electronic quartz chronographs, with start/stop/interval impulses generated by sophisticated on-track sensors and other optoelectronic devices.

I own automatic watches by every brand my company has represented over the years, including Omega/Longines/Tissot/Swatch/Rolex/Seiko/Casio/Timex.

Ask me how much I care about how accurate they are??? Couldn't care less. They aren't professional tools no matter what anyone says, certainly not anymore. Omega engineered time-of-day based synchronized electronic stopwatches in the 30's, so the era of the mechanical timekeeping device is (arguably sadly) long gone!
alphasports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 08:08 AM   #45
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
+1

I have no idea if my watches are fast or slow, just once a month if being used or when next used I set the watch to my reference time, then forget about it until the next time the watch needs a reset.

Life is too short to worry if my watch is out by a few seconds.
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 08:14 AM   #46
datejustrms
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Now many members have seemed to have caught this latest -2+2 syndrome plus the many others APS {Alignment point syndrome} CCTS {constant checking time syndrome}.Now regarding the latest -2+2 spec what in the real world does this mean.Well first the bare uncased movement is tested to the Swiss chronometer standard at the COSC which is a AVERAGE of between -4+6 seconds over any 24 hour period. And when testing in the first 10 days of said test the movement could vary by 10 seconds in a single 24 hours and still pass the test.After movement gets certified and passes its shipped back to Rolex in there hundreds then stored till needed to match to a case.Now if its true Rolex must re-regulate and test on a machines perhaps many at a time to this new specification a AVERAGE-2+2. What does this mean well in the real world it was tested on a machine and passed said test at the time of testing, much like the certification at the COSC. Now this test does not mean the movement will be -2+2 every single day for life.As on the wrist its a bit different to what the test on a machine,already some on forum wanting to rush out and regulate because there watch was only showing a consistent +4 seconds.So got to ask myself are these 2 seconds either way out of 86400 in a day all that important are they life threatening in any way.Would these two seconds or so dramatically have a effect on anyone's daily routine, if it does then I feel very sorry for them.There comes a point in life when all these OCD issues start to take the enjoyment out of wearing any Rolex watch.So guys please get rid of all these OCDs and start enjoying your watches for what they are,one of the finest mechanical watches made today. Life is far to short to worry and fret over these very minor trivialities like a couple of seconds trust me from one that knows.
Amen!
datejustrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 09:53 AM   #47
itsjknight
"TRF" Member

Wow this thread is something. New watch being sent to Rolex for service because its more than 2 seconds a day fast??!
itsjknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 09:57 AM   #48
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjknight View Post
Wow this thread is something. New watch being sent to Rolex for service because its more than 2 seconds a day fast??!
comes up every week... buckle up for the fun
Old 24 September 2019, 10:03 AM   #49
Jostack
"TRF" Member

I’m tired of it. Let’s start a movement to ban the seconds hand and put an end to this controversy once and for all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jostack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 10:12 AM   #50
~Haze~
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes. Exactly.

And while at it, anyone who suffers from depression.... Please stop. Just move on.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
~Haze~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 10:56 AM   #51
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
is this what you are talking about?
Thanks.

I guess after casing is the caveat?
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 11:01 AM   #52
Monty22
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126715CHNR, 116400
IMHO, all of the analysis is ridiculous and a way for analytical-minded people to enjoy and:or justify the purchase of a watch in this range. Again, IMHO, this is not brain surgery, it is an emotional decision that too many try to back up with logic

Monty22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 11:02 AM   #53
Monty22
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126715CHNR, 116400
Buy the watch and enjoy it

Monty22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 11:52 AM   #54
SkyJuice
"TRF" Member

Super-COSC
SkyJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 01:49 PM   #55
Jackumi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB, 116713LN
Acceptable accuracy is up to the individual, I myself am a very punctual person and I use my watches as timepiece's. I set them to my iPhone clock app at the 1st of the each month and I like them to be no more than -1/+1min fast or slow per month, I do not expect Quartz accuracy but I expect them to be very close to Rolex guarantee of -2/+2sec per day. I bought three new watches over the last 3yrs, my DJ is running within -1sec a day and my Sub within +1sec per day. My GMT was running -3sec per day slow, so I took it to my local RSC, they checked it and regulated it under guarantee, now it also is running within +1sec per day.
Jackumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 01:55 PM   #56
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackumi View Post
Acceptable accuracy is up to the individual, I myself am a very punctual person and I use my watches as timepiece's. I set them to my iPhone clock app at the 1st of the each month and I like them to be no more than -1/+1min fast or slow per month, I do not expect Quartz accuracy but I expect them to be very close to Rolex guarantee of -2/+2sec per day. I bought three new watches over the last 3yrs, my DJ is running within -1sec a day and my Sub within +1sec per day. My GMT was running -3sec per day slow, so I took it to my local RSC, they checked it and regulated it under guarantee, now it also is running within +1sec per day.
the solution is get more watches

If you have 10 then you have to reset them every time you wear one. Its exact to the second for the entire day. Next day, different watch. repeat.

every one is dead on accurate for the duration of the time they are ever on your wrist.

cant get more accurate than that
Old 24 September 2019, 05:07 PM   #57
Jackumi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB, 116713LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
the solution is get more watches

If you have 10 then you have to reset them every time you wear one. Its exact to the second for the entire day. Next day, different watch. repeat.

every one is dead on accurate for the duration of the time they are ever on your wrist.

cant get more accurate than that
I never thought of that! There is always an obvious solution to every 1st world problem, and to hell with it, I will get my Butler to wind and set each watch each day while I am waiting for my Chauffeur to bring the Rolls round the front of my Mansion.
Jackumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 06:15 PM   #58
James Nye 1982
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114300 White
The AD in question needs a lesson in Rolex marketing, I used to worry about my watches losing time, my old pam 510 used to lose 10 secs a day. Now I don't worry so much.
James Nye 1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 06:30 PM   #59
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
I recommend these phone app accuracy nuts buy some cheap autos from ebay, basic case opener and screwdriver set and play around with accuracy for themselves. They then might realise what a stable little creature a Rolex movement is and perhaps not spend time complaining when their new Sub or whatever is a couple of seconds and a half out of the recommended +-2 per day.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 06:49 PM   #60
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Thanks.

I guess after casing is the caveat?
Yes, but its in the wearer's favour.

Bottom line is, no matter how anally retentive one may think it is, Rolex sell the watches on a -2/+2 basis and if its outwith those specs the wearer has an absolute legal right to send it back under warranty.

I think we also need to remember that many who are new to Rolex may also be new to automatic movements and +5 seconds per day without the understanding of what's happening inside that case is poor when compared to what they may be used to with a quartz watch.

+5, for example, is nothing in real terms (as Peter likes to post) but its less than half as "accurate" as Rolex say it should be.

Its all relative to expectations

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote