The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 26 January 2020, 05:35 AM   #31
Bigblu10
Banned

Another member here was chasing this GMT and apparently settled for a pre owned Aquanaut. If given the opportunity to buy you should definitely get the GMT. It is much more dynamic than that Aquanaut
Old 26 January 2020, 05:35 AM   #32
10XRolex
2024 Pledge Member

You answered your question already. You buy from an investment point of view. As of now the watch is a money maker, buy it.
Old 26 January 2020, 05:36 AM   #33
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
While I’m not a big aquanaut fan, I do like the travel time version.
FOR ME.....assuming I had a SS piece as well, and you put those two watches in front of me and said pick one....AND I was going to wear it, vs it being an “investment” piece... (I don’t buy watches for investment) I’d choose the aquanaut.
I had the choice between the blue dial and the meteor dial gmt, and chose the blue, as I thought it was more wearable, I love blue better than meteor, easier to read, and I’m not sure how long I’d like a meteorite dial for the long term, as far as versatility. (As in...it’s popular/cool right now, but....) I’m a little more traditional.
As a piece to look at for rarity, long term return, etc...the meteorite would be tough to pass up.
Old 26 January 2020, 05:41 AM   #34
Randomgary
"TRF" Member

I absolutely love this watch
Old 26 January 2020, 05:41 AM   #35
Claven2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruslan1987 View Post
When I saw pictures of the meteorite dial GMT (126719 BLRO) watch on the past basel, I fell in love with it. I called my dealer and told her I want that watch as soon as it will become available. Time passed by, I got myself few other watches since then but that meteorite dial GMT never turned up.

I called few other dealers but its same story everywhere, they were either lucky enough to get one of them from Rolex or they never even got it at all. So after few months I realized that this watch is rare and most likely I will never buy it at retail, so I moved on.

I put my eyes and thoughts on gold Aquanaut and I started slowly to collect money specifically to get that watch later on during this year.

And yesterday I got a phone call from my dealer. She said that most likely in the next month she will get that meteorite GMT and she will allocate it to me.

So now I am at the crossroad, should I do it or should I not? If I will get that watch then most likely I will pass on Aquanaut since the watch is not cheap.

Also when I buy a new watch (I know a lot of people might not agree with me but) I buy it from investment point of view and it looks like this watch is a little bit rare which has a good investment potential. Also, I read it on forums that it might get discontinued at 2020 basel and I personally doubt it.

What do you guys think? It's a good buy or pass and go for an Aquanaut?

No brainer. Buy it. If you later still list for the aquanaut, you will make money on the sale of the rolex.
Old 26 January 2020, 05:48 AM   #36
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Water vs Sky.

I'd take the sky any day.

The Aquanaut is a totally unimpressive watch in my opinion.
Totally agree
Old 26 January 2020, 05:51 AM   #37
djgallo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruslan1987 View Post
I can easily afford to buy both GMT and Aquanaut, at some point I put a limit for myself on how much I want to spend on watches per year. If I buy a watch I want to make sure I got absolutely best deal for my money now and potentially in the future.
Very hard to predict the future value of watches. The cost to buy the GMT is expensive to MOST people. 50K is a big price tag.....a lot of money to tie up. When you want to resell the watch there is Smaller pool of people that can purchase it....something to think about.

If you are going to wear the watch and enjoy it thats one thing...to wear it and hope for the watch to increase or even hold it’s value is a big gamble. To buy the watch and put it in a safe is also a big gamble...

As a gambling proposition...it is not good odds IMO. This goes for the PP too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daOnlyBG View Post
I know I'm in the minority. I do not think the meteorite dial GMT looks particularly nice.

The GMT-Master is a classic watch, and throwing a meteorite dial on there doesn't make sense. The colors on the GMT are supposed to be functional; the smooth red+blue and stainless serve a utilitarian purpose. That meteorite dial clashes with them, in a weird manner.

If the dial was made from onyx, maybe it'd make a little more sense- you have the functional color scheme, and you add a more "luxurious" material that "pops" visually- but at least the contrasts would make more sense, and you maintain the flow of something light (stainless steel) to something a bit darker (blue/red) to something dark (black), which is far more consistent with the GMT's history and tradition.

People might say "well, f*** history and tradition" and maybe they're right. But that meteorite dial still clashes. It looks out of place, and in all honesty, it reminds me of the aftermarket dial mods that dealers sell at trade shows.

Save your money and buy something else. If you can afford both watches, then you could afford a much stronger piece- like an advanced complication from Patek Philippe or something.
I tend to agree with you on this. I think the GMT with meteorite is a dazzling watch.... but it does somewhat break away from the functionality aspect, and crosses into the bling aspect....to me, it compares to the white gold Daytona with meteorite dial....
Old 26 January 2020, 05:52 AM   #38
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Grab it while you can!

I went in to a large Rolex, Patek dealer in Germany today and the sales guys there had never even seen one. They asked if they could take picture of mine.
Old 26 January 2020, 05:52 AM   #39
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Killer watch and hard to come by.
Old 26 January 2020, 06:05 AM   #40
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgallo View Post

I tend to agree with you on this. I think the GMT with meteorite is a dazzling watch.... but it does somewhat break away from the functionality aspect, and crosses into the bling aspect....to me, it compares to the white gold Daytona with meteorite dial....

With one very important difference imao. The GMT has been to space and was released at the 50th anniversary of moon landing so there is definitely some genuine history there.
Old 26 January 2020, 06:05 AM   #41
MrMercedes
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many!
Take it!!
Old 26 January 2020, 06:06 AM   #42
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by djgallo View Post
That's just it though- is it bling? That red/blue bezel doesn't think so. Is it functional? Who's buying a meteorite dial to tell the time in another timezone? Even if one doesn't use the GMT function, the watch inherently doesn't make sense.

On the other hand, meteorite dial on a Day-Date looks fantastic- and it makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamorama View Post
With one very important difference imao. The GMT has been to space and was released at the 50th anniversary of moon landing so there is definitely some genuine history there.
Sure, that's a reference to an extraterrestrial body, but it's not a reference to the watches that actually went to space- in fact, it pushes them away further.
Old 26 January 2020, 06:08 AM   #43
SS Oyster
2024 Pledge Member

The meteorite GMT ticks all your boxes, so I would get it. I personally love it, grail for me.

Super rare too, so will never go down in value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 26 January 2020, 06:10 AM   #44
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

honestly, take the watch, and if you end up with the aquanaut and need to liquidate, worst case tell your AD and if they take preowned sell back to them and pick up the aquanaut. then you're not flipping...also, you never really know when that aquanaut will come unless buying it grey so...this way no matter what you've got something awesome.
Old 26 January 2020, 06:15 AM   #45
MTdweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: the time fly!
I would buy it if I had the chance. Very unique and quite the beauty.
Old 26 January 2020, 06:24 AM   #46
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

Pass. I love the wg Pepsi but only black dial please. If you’re forcing me to pick between the two? Gold aquanaut but reluctantly.

Old 26 January 2020, 06:25 AM   #47
HODDS
"TRF" Member

Very hard to get. Grab it if you can!
Old 26 January 2020, 06:28 AM   #48
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

I am not convince the Aquanaut is all that. I am a movement and horological history snob and it should be calling to me but it lacks any appeal. I dont drink the PP kool aid blindly. The GMT with that dial is a diva, rockstar and pro athlete all in one. Get the GMT.
Old 26 January 2020, 06:28 AM   #49
cerendigit
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio digital
Quote:
I know I'm in the minority. I do not think the meteorite dial GMT looks particularly nice.
I agree with you, with that money I would buy something else. Probably a daydate. But that's just me.
Old 26 January 2020, 06:39 AM   #50
FreshPrince14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 & 6694
I'd pass.. don't like the dial at all!

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 26 January 2020, 07:17 AM   #51
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Get the GMT. It’s more unique than the PP IMHO

One of the best pieces made by Rolex today

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
Old 26 January 2020, 07:23 AM   #52
Rubyrex
"TRF" Member

Buy it!!! I’ve honestly never seen one in person, I’d love to own one.
Old 26 January 2020, 07:30 AM   #53
Rocky2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕ 116610LV
GMT, no question.
Old 26 January 2020, 08:26 AM   #54
Colin W
"TRF" Member

Go for GMT - have been trying to get one at list from several AD’s, no luck yet!

Old 26 January 2020, 08:54 AM   #55
Duey
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many To List
Beautiful but I would pass on the GMT - When you can pick up a black dial for $31,500 from DavidSW is the meteorite dial really worth another $10k??

And as an investment - give it up. The black dial will probably be worth more down the line.
Old 26 January 2020, 09:19 AM   #56
CarrJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116719BLRO
Being a 116719 owner (black dial). I would recommend this Meteorite version.

Old 26 January 2020, 09:27 AM   #57
Little machines
"TRF" Member

Great watch ! Go for it !
Old 26 January 2020, 09:38 AM   #58
lamnyc
"TRF" Member

GMT meteorite dial is the bomb. Grab one if you can.
Old 26 January 2020, 09:48 AM   #59
whited3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K
That gmt is probably my Grail watch.
Old 26 January 2020, 09:51 AM   #60
JayG
"TRF" Member

Watch: FP Journe CB/ 5711
Quote:

The GMT-Master is a classic watch, and throwing a meteorite dial on there doesn't make sense. The colors on the GMT are supposed to be functional; the smooth red+blue and stainless serve a utilitarian purpose. That meteorite dial clashes with them, in a weird manner.

If the dial was made from onyx, maybe it'd make a little more sense- you have the functional color scheme, and you add a more "luxurious" material that "pops" visually- but at least the contrasts would make more sense, and you maintain the flow of something light (stainless steel) to something a bit darker (blue/red) to something dark (black), which is far more consistent with the GMT's history and tradition.

People might say "well, f*** history and tradition" and maybe they're right. But that meteorite dial still clashes. It looks out of place, and in all honesty, it reminds me of the aftermarket dial mods that dealers sell at trade shows.

Save your money and buy something else. If you can afford both watches, then you could afford a much stronger piece- like an advanced complication from Patek Philippe or something.
Totally agree. Looks gimmicky to me.
Closed Thread