The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 April 2020, 01:53 PM   #31
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexexec View Post
Word on the inter webs is that this was the original intention for the yachtmaster, however word is Rolex decided against this and created a new line for this watch and used one of their trademarked names.

The case shape, dimensions, comfort plus the extra bling of the yachtmaster is perfect for me which satisfied the wants and pushed the sub and gmt further down the must have list.

Wouldn’t say the yachtmaster has identity issues at all, the sub will always remain as the superb simple traditional toolish watch that it is, but the yachtmaster goes in the comfort, fancy, refined direction and holds its own well as a lot of people are after just that.

Very fair to be honest I’m struggling to bond with mine so being harsh. Maybe I’ve got the identity issues!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2020, 02:00 PM   #32
dmash
"TRF" Member

The only watch I could ever see Rolex making smaller is possibly the EXPii back to 40mm for a more consistent look and the fact that upping it to 42 didn’t really make it a ‘hotter’ piece like they might have anticipated. I’m biased with saying that though as I’d grab a polar expii 40mm with ceramic bezel yesterday.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2020, 02:04 PM   #33
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
The only watch I could ever see Rolex making smaller is possibly the EXPii back to 40mm for a more consistent look and the fact that upping it to 42 didn’t really make it a ‘hotter’ piece like they might have anticipated. I’m biased with saying that though as I’d grab a polar expii 40mm with ceramic bezel yesterday.

Ooo yes same

Old 12 April 2020, 02:13 PM   #34
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR201 View Post
Ooo yes same

I’m honestly kind of surprised they haven’t made some type of white dial ceramic bezel piece other than Daytona after seeing its popularity. Whether it’s explorerIi, sub or gmt, I really can’t believe not a single other model has got it in all these years.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2020, 02:22 PM   #35
Alexexec
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR201 View Post
Very fair to be honest I’m struggling to bond with mine so being harsh. Maybe I’ve got the identity issues!

Perfectly normal, I thought I was set on the sub but for some reason could not see myself bonding enough with it to buy it. Then started looking into the gmt II as I preferred the look and case better. The yachtmaster 40 was not even in consideration and I must have overlooked it so much so that I didn’t even know it existed, I was fully aware of the big white dial ymII but am not into it all. Then when I started looking into the YM40 and its features I was all set.

Curious, have you got any experience with other Rolexes?

What I’m really curious and excited about now is the possibility of a new sub with the new movement and hopefully a less bulky case.
Alexexec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2020, 02:37 PM   #36
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexexec View Post
Perfectly normal, I thought I was set on the sub but for some reason could not see myself bonding enough with it to buy it. Then started looking into the gmt II as I preferred the look and case better. The yachtmaster 40 was not even in consideration and I must have overlooked it so much so that I didn’t even know it existed, I was fully aware of the big white dial ymII but am not into it all. Then when I started looking into the YM40 and its features I was all set.

Curious, have you got any experience with other Rolexes?

What I’m really curious and excited about now is the possibility of a new sub with the new movement and hopefully a less bulky case.
Yeah, I do agree that the Yachtmaster is fantastic on the wrist, love the proportions. And it is probably the most beautiful piece I own. I do own a bunch of other sports pieces. My fave is the 114060. Don't mind the lugs all that much, feel like the maxi has its place/look. Though if they made the subs a bit slimmer like the recent GMTs I wouldn't mind. Or even if they went back to 5 digit proportions and added a ceramic bezel and upgraded bracelet/clasp that would be great. Some people say the SD4K is just like that but it's a bit thicker and the lugs not quite shaped the same and lug to lug feels a little stumpier to me.
Old 12 April 2020, 03:39 PM   #37
Frank McKay
"TRF" Member

Don’t mess with perfect. Love this iteration of the Sub!

Frank McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2020, 04:01 PM   #38
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Dimensions won't change imo. The sub is a 40mm watch. If one wants a bigger watch, buy the SD43mm. If one wants a slimmer watch, buy the YM.

Movement I think it's a given thaty will change. I don't think the case will change. It's been like this for 10 years now and the GMT case didn't change (afaik).

One thing I'd love to see is the clasp shortened a touch. It just looks too big
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2020, 04:05 PM   #39
APPRF
"TRF" Member

The clasp is too long for small wrists (even a bit over 7), I’m surprised nobody talks about that. I think they should work on a new mechanism for it, and make it shorter. People talk about how the Sub is very comfortable on the wrist, but actually think the GMT is the one that’s very comfortable on the wrist.
APPRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2020, 04:21 PM   #40
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000-NJDEVILS View Post
For 67 years the Submariner has been 40mm - very unlikely that Rolex would change that. If you desire a larger case, may I suggest a 44 mm Sea Dweller - but be prepared for the much heavier case and feel....
I thought the very original Sub was smaller - 37/38mm?

Personally I would love to see a larger Sub. Use the case and bracelet from the SD43 and give it a flat back. You’d have the 5-digit aesthetic in a big modern Sub.
Number3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2020, 05:45 PM   #41
calh22a
Banned

I don’t think Rolex would make the sub larger. 40mm is a sweet spot for it. For those who want bigger, they can opt for SD43 or even DSSD
calh22a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2020, 06:20 PM   #42
fooey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Quite a few now!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbubsy View Post
42MM Sub!!!! Would be perfect!
Nooooo
fooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2020, 08:33 PM   #43
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APPRF View Post
The clasp is too long for small wrists (even a bit over 7), I’m surprised nobody talks about that. I think they should work on a new mechanism for it, and make it shorter. People talk about how the Sub is very comfortable on the wrist, but actually think the GMT is the one that’s very comfortable on the wrist.
Yes, I have griped about the size of the clasp also . . it feels too long and rigid. Like a slab of steel restricting your movement. I have a 7.25 wrist

I actually find the 5 digits more comfortable. Although the Glidelock is obviously a clear winner
Old 13 April 2020, 07:01 AM   #44
lemaitre
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LN
Current design + dimensions of the Submariner are hard to beat, in my opinion the aesthetics of the current watch are perfect, wouldn’t change it.
lemaitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2020, 09:32 AM   #45
georgekart
"TRF" Member

With them postponing the watch announcements I don't even think we'll see a new Sub in 2021. There were rumors, and I think they are believable, that Explorer II will get a 50th anniversary update next year. And I don't think if they were going to do a 50th anniversary update they'll postpone it to release a Sub first. And they'll likely not release two new watches at the same time. So unless situation improves and we see a release this year, I think current Sub will stay until 2022.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2020, 11:10 AM   #46
Bill_H
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelUK View Post
Yes, I have griped about the size of the clasp also . . it feels too long and rigid. Like a slab of steel restricting your movement. I have a 7.25 wrist

I actually find the 5 digits more comfortable. Although the Glidelock is obviously a clear winner
The GL clasp looks big. But believe it or not, the part that touches your wrist is actually smaller.

See this thread for pics
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...=631381&page=2
Bill_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2020, 11:14 AM   #47
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Small subtle nuanced changes are my guess. New movement, slight changes to the lug profile, but that’s about it. My guess anyway ...
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2020, 11:37 AM   #48
JohnGingerwood
2024 Pledge Member

They better not
JohnGingerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2020, 02:40 PM   #49
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Imo they made the 50th Anniversary Sea Dweller the way it is to satisfy the demand for a larger Sub.

Be honest, from 5ft, side by side, to the untrained eye, they look identical.

Sub should stay 40mm, if you want bigger, get the SD.

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2020, 05:39 PM   #50
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmework View Post
No one knows for sure what 2021 will bring for Rolex releases....sure, it could include an update to the Sub but it could just as easily not. Point is, buy what you like when you can....there were people waiting for this years Basel to see if there was going to be a new Sub and look what happened, no one knows what will happen. The sea dweller was never 43mm until it was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Mad! View Post
Imo they made the 50th Anniversary Sea Dweller the way it is to satisfy the demand for a larger Sub.

Exactly I have 7.75 in wrists and loved my Subc but wanted something a little bigger so got the SD43 and it is perfect for me
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2020, 12:31 PM   #51
SudiYunus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier Panthere
Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar144 View Post
I know this is a dumb question. But do you all really think that Rolex is going to make the new submariner smaller? I think we can all agree that a movement update is going to happen to the submariner. But I feel like the chances of a major change to the rolex case size is pretty slim. And this is coming from someone who desperately wants a smaller sub.

Sorry for the rant
40mm, Red Lettering, Red Second Hand, n thinner case
SudiYunus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2020, 01:00 PM   #52
007_Omega
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
They'll trim down the lugs. How much is the question but there is no way they'll keep this maxi-case untouched.

As a far reach, Rolex may increase the size, still with trimmer lugs, but no way they are going to make the watch smaller than 40mm.

Rolex has made 0 indication that they will downsize, except when it comes to trimming down lugs. 40mm is already a pretty conservative size these days and Rolex would be playing with fire by offering smaller watches to the mainstream male.
007_Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2020, 02:37 PM   #53
Yess
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Rolex needs a bigger Sub 114060* for those of us with man-sized wrists.

*(I said Sub, not a Sea-Dweller or whatever else people think is a substitute for a Sub)
Yess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2020, 03:53 PM   #54
socalwatchcollector
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pateks Plural
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbubsy View Post
42MM Sub!!!! Would be perfect!
Settle down lol
socalwatchcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2020, 03:59 PM   #55
peterpl
Banned

They wont make it smaller thats for sure.

Its a higher probability they make it larger than smaller.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2020, 04:05 PM   #56
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Mad! View Post

Agreed. This is the exact reason Rolex pushed the SD to 43 mm

boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2020, 09:43 PM   #57
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar144 View Post
I know this is a dumb question. But do you all really think that Rolex is going to make the new submariner smaller? I think we can all agree that a movement update is going to happen to the submariner. But I feel like the chances of a major change to the rolex case size is pretty slim. And this is coming from someone who desperately wants a smaller sub.

Sorry for the rant
Why would they? Perhaps you should be looking for a 5 digit piece

And high end luxury jewelry does not have model years like throw away phones or cars.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2020, 11:54 PM   #58
alexcindyCJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV
They did not change anything but the movement for Yachtmaster (from 116622 to 126622). In the same context, I expect no change in its size, case, lug, etc. for new Sub but the movement (3235) + rolex crown in 6 o'clock. (Swiss Crown Made)
126334 White Roman
alexcindyCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2020, 12:50 AM   #59
thlax
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcindyCJ View Post
They did not change anything but the movement for Yachtmaster (from 116622 to 126622). In the same context, I expect no change in its size, case, lug, etc. for new Sub but the movement (3235) + rolex crown in 6 o'clock. (Swiss Crown Made)

+1

Only thing else would be to throw on DSSD style clasp would be cool. But the Subs current clasp is already perfect too.

2020 Green OP41 124300 (Sold), 2020 114060 ND Sub (Sold) Tudor BB58 Blue (Sold), CHNR (Sold), 126603 TT SD43 (Sold) 116500 Black Daytona (Sold), 5512 vintage ‘69 (Sold) 114060 (Sold), AP15202ST (Sold) AP15500 Grey (Sold), 126710 BLRO Pepsi (Sold), 2018 39MM White OP (Sold), SD43 (Sold), ALS 1815 WG (Sold), 116520 White Daytona (sold), DSSD (Sold), 116655 RG YM (Returned), 116619LB Smurf (Sold), PP 5167A (Sold), AP Diver (Sold), PAM112 (Sold)
thlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2020, 01:03 AM   #60
zjd168
"TRF" Member

16610+ceramic+new movement will be perfect
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote