The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 March 2020, 06:43 AM   #31
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
I would have bought that watch a long time ago if it didnt have the 3,6,9 on the dial
Same here. I'd love to have seen a fully printed dial with 15 / 30 / 45 instead like a proper speedometer.

They must have had extra 3s and 6s left over from the original 214270 Explorer.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2020, 12:12 PM   #32
horseShu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Aqua Terra
I really try to like the Air-King. I really do. But it just doesn't sing to me.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 PLUS using Tapatalk
horseShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2020, 01:45 PM   #33
Bob_Loblaw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APPRF View Post
Has everything going for it...
Yes. The Air King was first issued in 1945 partially to honor the British RAF pilots of the Battle of Britain.

Quote:
...different looking dial than what Rolex is used to doing...
Yes. It is important to note that the 116900 dial is different from what Rolex has done in the past. The dial on the 116900 is very similar to the Flieger B-uhr watches issued to German pilots in the late 1930s.

Rolex designers know the history of pilot's watches. Yes, it's been decades, but it just seems ironic, at best, to combine the history of these two designs into one watch.
Bob_Loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2020, 03:00 PM   #34
sdiver68
"TRF" Member

Thd original Air series including Air King were homage to the fact that RAF Pilots wore Speed Kings and other Oysters into combat. Speed King draws its heritage from automobiles. Fitting the Bloodhound is basically a jet on wheels.
sdiver68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2020, 03:26 PM   #35
shawn13ca
"TRF" Member

Rolex is not associated with the Bloodhound LSR anymore and the gauges have been removed. It will get discontinued as it doesn't have any story to.back it up anymore.
shawn13ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2020, 07:40 PM   #36
APPRF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
Same here. I'd love to have seen a fully printed dial with 15 / 30 / 45 instead like a proper speedometer.

They must have had extra 3s and 6s left over from the original 214270 Explorer.
Or they decided to use the White Gold 3,6,9 for the special Bloodhound Air King (the dial was based on the Bloodhound car dial, look at the dial on the right. They incorporated the main dial with the smaller dial), and gave the new Explorer a regular white lumed 3,6,9 design, (explorers need a good loom at night, while pilots don’t need it in their cockpit). Even using 5 instead of 05 was because they wanted to stick to the design of the Bloodhound car dial design). The new Explorer, and the Bloodhound Air King where released together in 2016.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/modern-...-1000-mph-car/
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 612EE02D-7ADC-4CDF-BF93-E5FD2A86A6FC.jpeg (74.2 KB, 214 views)
APPRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2020, 07:43 PM   #37
APPRF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn13ca View Post
Rolex is not associated with the Bloodhound LSR anymore and the gauges have been removed. It will get discontinued as it doesn't have any story to.back it up anymore.
Yes this will probably happen, and Rolex will bring back the Air King after several years with a boring regular design like most of it’s references. The Bloodhound Air King will always be a special design if this scenario happens.
Old 7 March 2020, 07:56 PM   #38
APPRF
"TRF" Member

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/modern-...-1000-mph-car/
Old 7 March 2020, 08:14 PM   #39
APPRF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Loblaw View Post
Yes. The Air King was first issued in 1945 partially to honor the British RAF pilots of the Battle of Britain.

Yes. It is important to note that the 116900 dial is different from what Rolex has done in the past. The dial on the 116900 is very similar to the Flieger B-uhr watches issued to German pilots in the late 1930s.

Rolex designers know the history of pilot's watches. Yes, it's been decades, but it just seems ironic, at best, to combine the history of these two designs into one watch.
So they honored the British RAF pilots who saved London from German booming with a watch that had a dial similar to the Flieger B-uhr watches issued to German pilots. Nice .
Old 7 March 2020, 08:20 PM   #40
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
Quote:
So they honored the British RAF pilots who saved London from German booming with a watch that had a dial similar to the Flieger B-uhr watches issued to German pilots. Nice .

Well the Avro Vulcan was a Nazi design. Not to mention the Saturn V, so why not?

After a war it’s usual for the victors to take the spoils from the vanquished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2020, 08:25 PM   #41
APPRF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdiver68 View Post
Thd original Air series including Air King were homage to the fact that RAF Pilots wore Speed Kings and other Oysters into combat. Speed King draws its heritage from automobiles. Fitting the Bloodhound is basically a jet on wheels.
This ties everything together. The old design Air King, the Bloodhound dial on the car, and the new Bloodhound Air King.
Old 7 March 2020, 09:33 PM   #42
Aztro
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Milgauss Z
It’s been said, but again: Rolex is currently not associated at all with Bloodhound, their dials are no longer in the car, and weren’t even there for last year’s desert shake down. On top of this Bloodhound is once again bust, and it seems unlikely to get the funding they need this time round. I can’t see why having a dial that is *not* in a *failed* super sonic car makes for a good watch story. And I don’t suppose there’s a good reason for it to outperform the white dial MG, which is much less divisive than the AK but has still done nothing on the market.
Aztro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2020, 10:28 PM   #43
APPRF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztro View Post
It’s been said, but again: Rolex is currently not associated at all with Bloodhound, their dials are no longer in the car, and weren’t even there for last year’s desert shake down. On top of this Bloodhound is once again bust, and it seems unlikely to get the funding they need this time round. I can’t see why having a dial that is *not* in a *failed* super sonic car makes for a good watch story. And I don’t suppose there’s a good reason for it to outperform the white dial MG, which is much less divisive than the AK but has still done nothing on the market.
Actually the discontinuation, failed project, etc of the Bloodhound Air King is in itself a good story, in addition to the history and story of the Air King. The discontinued white dial Milgauss doesn’t have history, or even a failed story, or an interesting dial. Not every watch or dial that gets discontinued by Rolex gets to be collectable or increase in price later. I agree with you about nothing may happen, but at least the Bloodhound Air King has a chance to be collectable for the points mentioned in this thread.
Old 8 March 2020, 12:53 PM   #44
Aztro
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Milgauss Z
To say a failed project, which Rolex bailed out from, gives something the right kind of providence for some market action seems to be a big stretch. I guess we can come back in 2030 and find out...
Aztro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2020, 01:21 PM   #45
RKTINC1
"TRF" Member

It is a great watch. They need to discontinue it and reintroduce the air king in a smaller 38mm package. That way my 116900 would jump in value and be even more cool.
RKTINC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2020, 06:55 PM   #46
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 365DAS View Post
there’s been talk about the Air-King either being updated or dropped altogether
True, but who has been talking about it?

Rolex, or maybe people at ADs with some inside knowledge? Don't think so.

People speculating in forums and on Youtube going for clickbait? Ah right. Well, it must be true then.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2020, 08:14 PM   #47
Scrap_Life
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King; my daily
I love mine.

Scrap_Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2020, 08:23 PM   #48
VegasMilgauss
"TRF" Member

I remember the Milgauss got featured a lot this time last year leading many (myself included) to believe Basel would mean update/dropped .... who knows.
VegasMilgauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2020, 09:20 PM   #49
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Loblaw View Post

Well the first Airkings were made many decades ago some say the first Airkings were particularly designed for pilots as such but IMHO they were definitely not, but world war 11 did have a part to play with the Airkings development.Today many models are now becoming collectable especially the Airking dates and especially the red date roulette ones.Now before World War 11 Rolex was always popular with many in the armed forces in the UK and commonwealth.Now old Hans being a good business man saw there was a market for a slightly larger watch.Now watches at these times were quite small 30m was the average size.Now Rolex started producing 33m models under the names of Air Lion,Air Tiger,Air Giant and the Airking.They all used then a 15 jewel manual wind movement,then came in steel even a TT plus all gold but mainly in those days 9ct gold.And they were in production from the mid 1940s to early 1950s when they were all suddenly dropped,except for the Airking.Now over the next few years the Air king gained a auto movement and now the same size as OP,and today some of the most sort after Airkings are models like the 1960s 5504 with the honeycombed dial this was a Rolex first.Now the very first Airking date arrived on the scene late 1960s Ref 5700 and then were only sold in Commonwealth countries like Canada and the UK.Now they made a 5700n Explorer Date but that was only sold in the USA.Later 1970s 5701 Airking dates had the cal.1525/35 movements,and they made a TT version of the 5701 quite rare today, but again for the Canadian only market but the Airking date faded out of production in the 1980s. IMO a shame the Airking has quite a lot of real Rolex watch history, and IMHO is now the modern day Airkings are a very very underrated watch.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2020, 10:21 PM   #50
Scott Cali
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub C Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseShu View Post
I really try to like the Air-King. I really do. But it just doesn't sing to me.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 PLUS using Tapatalk
Well said and same...my Dad has an older 14000 which I like better then the newer versions.
Scott Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2020, 11:33 PM   #51
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
AK isn't hard to get. It's on display. As recent as in Hong Kong airport for at least a week (unless they replaced it again with another from the safe).
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2020, 02:19 AM   #52
MSchu
Banned

I love everything about the piece... the case size, the proportion of the bezel to the face, the spacing of the indices, the coloration.

it looks similar to other 'simple' pieces from rolex, but when you see them next to each other the Airking attractively stands out. The Ex1 cound't be more different from the Airking proportionally... I can see having both in the same collection.
MSchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2020, 03:58 AM   #53
bazin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
I love everything about the piece... the case size, the proportion of the bezel to the face, the spacing of the indices, the coloration.

it looks similar to other 'simple' pieces from rolex, but when you see them next to each other the Airking attractively stands out. The Ex1 cound't be more different from the Airking proportionally... I can see having both in the same collection.

The AK II is an underrated gem at the moment .......it is rather "non-Rolex" for many ........but therefore the ultimate Rolex imo.....
It stands out of the usual Rolex-crowd and I am pretty sure that once it will be a much sought after classic...

bazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2020, 04:01 AM   #54
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMPCcoax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsmith1974 View Post
“If you were setting a land speed record at Bonneville tomorrow, you’d be wearing an AirKing.”

That ad will have a very positive effect.

that sounds like a British sense of humor coming from someone who’d know. (PS I dropped the ‘u’ on purpose.)

Roddypeepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2020, 04:03 AM   #55
Weasel_Sniffer
Banned

They should fill the numerals with lume like they did with the mark 2 explorer 1.
Weasel_Sniffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2020, 04:04 AM   #56
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640ibimmerguy View Post
Stopped by my AD today and they had one in the case along with a few other SS sport models but no SUbs or GMT's.
Have seen an AK at both ADs near me, in the last 30 days, so please forgive my attempt at humor above. Was speaking, locally, to me only.
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2020, 04:17 AM   #57
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel_Sniffer View Post
They should fill the numerals with lume like they did with the mark 2 explorer 1.

This.

GGGMT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2020, 04:19 AM   #58
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post

This is an interesting perspective, and this Aair king piece is beginning to have some appeal to me after initially repelling me because it looks like a ridiculous carnival of inconsistency, a smorgasbord of sights, sounds, and smells, a laser and light show with no design or thought, A kitchen sink with everything thrown in. But now: I’m thinking very hard about getting one of these, because it is so unusual and, therefore, I think history will like it, as will I.

GGGMT is online now   Reply With Quote