The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 May 2020, 02:46 PM   #31
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
You will find this forum is overwhelmingly biased towards stainless steel and Rolex professional models, but to accomplish what you describe I would agree with your two tone datejust idea. It works for me from suits, to scrubs, to mountains to beaches:

I agree. You can never ever go wrong with this reference. Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 6 May 2020, 03:13 PM   #32
nkta
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecuares2011 View Post
Explorer I or Oyster Perpetual. Datejust can be an everyday watch too but it's a bit more on the dressier side
+1. I have had same thought and it was down to Exp I or the Oyster Perpetual, which has a variety of dial colors.
nkta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2020, 04:34 PM   #33
Yachtbuoy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1603
Honestly, you can’t go wrong with a DJ36 with the smooth bezel and oyster bracelet. It’s a great option relative to the OP36 because you’ve got a similar look + the date function. The OP does have slightly thicker lugs that are brushed, but the DJ36 has greater utility.
Yachtbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2020, 04:40 PM   #34
escobar144
Banned

Watch: Submariner/DJ 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachtbuoy View Post
Honestly, you can’t go wrong with a DJ36 with the smooth bezel and oyster bracelet. It’s a great option relative to the OP36 because you’ve got a similar look + the date function. The OP does have slightly thicker lugs that are brushed, but the DJ36 has greater utility.
Honestly I feel that 36 is too small by todays standards. Might as well go for the DJ41, in terms of case size it comes in at 39.5 which is the perfect size in my opinion. A smooth bezel on a oyster bracelet is the perfect mix of casual and dressy. The only downside would be the scratches
escobar144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2020, 04:42 PM   #35
Ihatecheese
Banned

Most versatile? Prob an OP, datejust or explorer. Subs are pretty but clearly a large sports watch and not really a suit staple.
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2020, 06:07 PM   #36
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Your choice should reflect who you are and should not be based on who everyone else is.

This is what makes us all different.

Choose the watch you want to wear.

Anything else is a compromise.

Enjoy your choice.

You may need one for each suit.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2020, 06:34 PM   #37
CaliSpecial
"TRF" Member

Would you consider a slightly older model? I think the 5 digit GMT (16710) is probably the most versatile reference out there. With a choice of 3 different bezel inserts and 2 bracelets (3 if you include Oysterflex) you can change the look of the watch to suit any occasion.

Black bezel on Oyster is all business, while Pepsi on a Jubilee really sparkles in a formal setting. Coke bezel on Oyster is the happy medium between the two.

C89124BE-DF1F-450A-A29B-44CE1F22DEEB.jpeg
CaliSpecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2020, 09:36 PM   #38
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
The Submariner is the choice and a cornerstone of a future collection. What does it matter that others in the office wear one? They got it right, why not you? Depending on your age and level of success I would stay away from PM or TT. That may be for the future but right now go with a classic and I think the robustness of the Submariner makes it the go to watch in either business or casual wear. There is nothing wrong with the Date Just it is a fine watch but I prefer the Submariner. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2020, 10:16 PM   #39
aczaja10
"TRF" Member

Go with a GMT black, 6 digit. The LN. I love my GMTs. I'm a lawyer, too, and I wear my GMTs with my suits and think they look better than my sub all around for dress or casual wear. Plus, a little different than what your office mates have.
aczaja10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2020, 10:18 PM   #40
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Datejust 41 smooth bezel on oyster is a great go anywhere do anything watch. Dress it up or dress it down
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2020, 10:21 PM   #41
VacherObsessive
"TRF" Member

Exp1 or pre ceramic ND sub for the absolute all rounder any occasion discrete perfect watch
VacherObsessive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2020, 10:34 PM   #42
Yachtbuoy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1603
Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar144 View Post
Honestly I feel that 36 is too small by todays standards. Might as well go for the DJ41, in terms of case size it comes in at 39.5 which is the perfect size in my opinion. A smooth bezel on a oyster bracelet is the perfect mix of casual and dressy. The only downside would be the scratches
I hear you, but (as others have said in other threads) I haven't seen a DJ36 which looks "small" on a wrist, but I have seen the DJ41 look "large". When I was looking at the DJ41, it didn't really gel with me because I expected something that size to be more like a professional watch (i.e, Sub). Full disclosure, I ended up going vintage because I wanted the less polished look of the modern DJ36.

I guess I'm newer to Rolex, but I also perceive the 36mm Oyster Perpetuals/Datejusts to probably being some of the most versatile watches Rolex produce. The classic sizing allows it to be worn in effectively any level of formality, and they are robust enough to do anything.

Again, it's my own bias showing here but if the DJ/OP36 was considered to be too small, then I would prefer the TT Submariner. I think that it makes more sense at the size, and if any diver could pull of basically any situation, it would be something like that.

At the end of the day (and maybe this is my millenial opinion here), any Rolex will work for basically any occasion anyway. The ones that OP were considering would be fine anyway, but it doesn't really shed any clarity on their current problem
Yachtbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2020, 10:49 PM   #43
VacherObsessive
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar144 View Post
Depends on the wrist - I see a lot of incomings where I believe the 36mm would have been a more proportional fit. 39.5mm sounds average or to some even small in today’s big watch world, but actually it is a large size for the Average wrist watch size (world wrist watch wearing average, not just USA/Europe).
I like to see a bit of meat at the end of the lugs but we tend to find lugs reaching over the wrist and in my view it’s not a good fit or a good look.
These new oversized Patek dress watches which are 40mm+ now do not look good on many wrists that otherwise 37mm would have been as large as one would want to go on that sort of dress watch.
VacherObsessive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2020, 10:51 PM   #44
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Quote:
Originally Posted by roleyattorney847 View Post
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! All of these are great suggestions. I like the black Subs as well but I think like four partners in the office have the black sub (some with and some without the date). And that’s really the only reason why I lean away from the black Subs.
I know what you mean. But there's a very good reason the four partners wear the submariner. It's a great watch. So don't let that stop you. Especially if that's the one you want.
Old 6 May 2020, 10:52 PM   #45
Maiden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDEEZY View Post
A two-tone black Sub will check off all your boxes. Black will go better with any color suit.
^^^This or any datejust. Two tone would be great.
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2020, 11:02 PM   #46
ronmexico
"TRF" Member

Explorer I
ronmexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2020, 11:03 PM   #47
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

If it has to be just one watch I'd say a GMT on a jubilee bracelet. It can be casual or more formal and has a time zone complication that is useful for business and a date function.

If you go with a two tone bezel, Pepsi seems to ,ore casual ( just a very subjective opinion, other will certainly disagree).
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2020, 11:22 PM   #48
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
Get the watch you want, the one that speaks to you, whatever that is. Coming from someone who's worked at a big law firm for going on 7 years now and is on track to be up for partner in a year or two, anyone who thinks wearing the wrong watch will affect your career in any meaningful way is either in a very stodgy office or a product of a bygone era. I'm picturing sepia-toned Mad Men stills right now.

If you like the Sub, get the Sub, if you like TT, get TT, if you like and can afford PM, get that. If you like the Rainbow Daytona... ok maybe don't get the Rainbow Daytona, lol. Point is, if you're a good attorney who does good work and has the potential to bring in business, you can wear whatever watch you want.

I'd offer you suggestions, but from your first post, it seems you already have a good idea what you want.
johnorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2020, 11:23 PM   #49
rmlovett1

Watch: YTBD
I’d say if budget allows, I’d look for the discontinued GMTC LN. Very versatile, track a couple time zones when you travel, date function, and the other folks at work don’t have that model. The DJ41 is a great option also, but I’d probably stay with SS. jubilee or Oyster is fine for your activities, but the only caution (at least for me) is the smooth bezel will show wear/scratches, etc...Very easily vs the ceramic. Two totally different looks and options but, both would suit your needs just fine.
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2020, 11:40 PM   #50
ajas
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Pam, Speede
Sub or Datejust would be great for every occasion.
ajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2020, 12:52 AM   #51
Meyrin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 14060
Definitely a Sub. I've worn my 14060 on all sorts of occasions, and never once felt it was out of place!
Meyrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2020, 01:19 AM   #52
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hello everyone! This is one of my first posts. Despite my screenname, I do not own a Rolex yet. I have the money saved up and ready to purchase it, but I am hesitant to just because of the uncertain times. What do you think is a Rolex that can go for a number of different occasions? I love sports and will typically travel out of town a few times a year to see my favorite teams play. However, I want a watch that can look good with a suit as well--I have all the typical colors: grey, blue, brown, black, and charcoal. My eye has always been drawn to the 116613 LB and a two tone black dial smooth bezel jubilee bracelet Datejust. What are your suggestions?
With two tone watches, you either love it or you don't. If you like two tone watches, go for it. Sub or a DJ would be fine options or your purpose.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2020, 01:29 AM   #53
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

Since the OP seems to regard situational/fashion versatility, I’ll stick to that question. In my mind, the clear choices for this type of versatility are either the a black Sub or an Explorer. If I had to make a recommendation between the two as the safest foundation to get as a first Rolex, it would be the Sub. Explorer is no slouch though. Either of these watches can be worn in almost any situation (except maybe in once in a lifetime rare white tie formal occasions that include meeting royalty). Almost all other models lean slightly more dressy, which doesn’t hurt in a professional setting, but may seem slightly less desirable in a sporting environment. Of course, all a matter of personal taste...best wishes!
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2020, 01:29 AM   #54
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

Since the OP seems to regard situational/fashion versatility, I’ll stick to that question. In my mind, the clear choices for this type of versatility are either the a black Sub or an Explorer. If I had to make a recommendation between the two as the safest foundation to get as a first Rolex, it would be the Sub. Explorer is no slouch though. Either of these watches can be worn in almost any situation (except maybe in once in a lifetime rare white tie formal occasions that include meeting royalty). Almost all other models lean slightly more dressy, which doesn’t hurt in a professional setting, but may seem slightly less desirable in a sporting environment. Of course, all a matter of personal taste...best wishes!
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2020, 01:30 AM   #55
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by judson View Post
Heck of a picture, I'm sold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rori View Post
I agree. You can never ever go wrong with this reference. Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! Photos often don’t do this reference justice.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2020, 01:40 AM   #56
TUDORTIME
Banned

Quote:
This is a really good point. I’m not a partner and the only Rolexes that I have seen that aren’t SS are some Day Dates from partners that have been there longer than I’ve been alive. DJs I think would be a safe bet because the post below you made a good point that they double as sports and business type of watch. Also I haven’t seen any DJs in the office. I could even change it up with a jubilee bracelet.
I’ve been in the corporate game a long time and my wife is a litigator.

Your suits and your watches matter, especially to those who decide on your partnership prospects. Productivity means the most but also bonding with your team is essential.

Those partners wear stainless steel Subs because that’s what they’ve adopted within their section of the tribe as a symbol of their status.

I’d probably not try to outclass them with a precious metal Sub, even if 2 tone.

The polished links on a GMT might be too bold as well.

Have you considered a Tag Autavia? It’s a very solid piece and reflects an interest in watches and can dress up or down.

Good luck!
TUDORTIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2020, 01:49 AM   #57
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
A datejust in steel, 2 tone, or all gold will go from the boardroom to the playground no problem.
If you are an attorney and wear suits, etc. a lot, a big sports watch isn’t the most elegant look. That’s not the messaging here, and James Bond does it, but the fact is that it’s not the most elegant look.
The smooth bezel is a little less flashy and has a nice appearance.
Not long ago I was looking hard at a gently used white gold smooth bezel Day Date. I think there was a thread recently about the smooth bezel option.
That, or the platinum model in 36mm are coming down in price and are quite stealthy. The average punter is gong to think it’s just another stainless watch.

Another plug for the 39mm Explorer as well. If I didn’t use the bezel functionality of my Sea Dweller, I’d be in an Explorer.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2020, 03:05 AM   #58
Amochosto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
For me the watch that ticks all your boxes is the Explorer II, either the new 42mm 216570 or the older 40mm 16570 depending on your wrist size/size preference. It’s a sports watch but a little more appropriate for suit wearing without a rotating bezel, can track a different time zone for your travel, can be had in either white or black dial depending on your preference, and in the 216570 model, has a big dial with big hands and markers for the best visibility in the Rolex stable.

Of course not everyone likes the style, so you have to be the judge of that.

My 40mm 16570 is attached for reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg A06F91A7-5752-41DF-9CCF-35CB96315F7B.jpeg (291.5 KB, 159 views)

Stupidity is doomed, therefore, to cringe at every syllable of wisdom

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Amochosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2020, 03:20 AM   #59
TUDORTIME
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amochosto View Post
For me the watch that ticks all your boxes is the Explorer II, either the new 42mm 216570 or the older 40mm 16570 depending on your wrist size/size preference. It’s a sports watch but a little more appropriate for suit wearing without a rotating bezel, can track a different time zone for your travel, can be had in either white or black dial depending on your preference, and in the 216570 model, has a big dial with big hands and markers for the best visibility in the Rolex stable.

Of course not everyone likes the style, so you have to be the judge of that.

My 40mm 16570 is attached for reference.
So much at stake here. The gentleman is not yet a partner. Explorer 2’s don’t quite hold their value for their current cost.

OP, have you looked at Tudor? The Black Bay stainless is an option.

Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra on dress leather is another option.

Maybe an Explorer. I’d avoid anything with a cyclops.
TUDORTIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2020, 03:27 AM   #60
RLXFRM
Banned

Suggesting a Sub marine for you and welcome to the forum.
RLXFRM is offline   Reply With Quote