The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 13 March 2021, 09:10 AM   #31
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linesiders View Post
This is where we differ ; )
Great to see some intelligent and knowledgeable gentlemanly jousting.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2021, 01:07 PM   #32
shangster12
"TRF" Member

So how much does color matched hands affect the value of a vintage sub?
shangster12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2021, 02:56 PM   #33
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by shangster12 View Post
Tritium hands are going for $600-800, it can be more if gilt or in excellent condition but the pain is the color matching and whether they are the correct ones for your watch etc.
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2021, 10:06 PM   #34
linesiders
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
Great to see some intelligent and knowledgeable gentlemanly jousting.

Old 14 March 2021, 02:19 AM   #35
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
This is an interesting thread which I have enjoyed reading as it presents different perspectives for vintage hands. Tritium hands are a "disposable" item, like many other items on a vintage watch. They were never made, nor intended, to last forever - that is why so many have been replaced - whether with tritium, luminova or color-matched hands.

Having replacement hands or relumed or recolored hands hands is fairly common. It is the collectors, dealers and internet forums that have made the issue of correct, original hands an issue.

For me, I prefer a watch with correct hands - by correct I mean they are the proper type of hands that originally came with the watch. If you are a purist and need everything 100% original, and happen to find that grail watch, good for you. Personally, I prefer my watches correct and original for the watch and understand that parts wear out and get replaced but will also say that I do not care for luminova hands on tritium watches.

My philosophy for vintage watch hands is very simple. There are only two types of hands that can be found in a watch - those that have been replaced and those that will be replaced and/or relumed.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2021, 12:11 PM   #36
shangster12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Tritium hands are a "disposable" item, like many other items on a vintage watch.
What else do you consider as disposable item and at what point do you consider the watch as just another frankenstein?
shangster12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2021, 12:59 PM   #37
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What else do you consider as disposable item and at what point do you consider the watch as just another frankenstein?
Original dial and case are essentials for me. I don't mind a changed crown/tube/crystal, or even bracelet as long as they're appropriate/correct replacements.

I don't enjoy when a hand change is jarring, like when Rolex puts bright white Luminova hands on a faded vintage dial (as they sadly often do).
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2021, 01:49 PM   #38
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
In regard to your question, that would be for you to decide. There is no definite meaning for "frankenwatch" that I am aware of. Having replaced hands, bracelets, crystals, date wheels, crowns and probably some other items does not make a watch a frankenwatch by any stretch of one's imagination - at least not for me.

Maybe you can define frankenstein watch for us since I have never understood what the definition is myself.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2021, 02:03 PM   #39
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Newer / service hands, inserts, crowns, bezels DOES NOT make a watch "FRANKENSTEIN" , neither is it a big deal to have service parts on the watch IMO .... This is a franken watch
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Franken watch.jpeg (49.5 KB, 153 views)
Old 14 March 2021, 02:38 PM   #40
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaini3 View Post
This is a franken watch
You sure it's not just patina?
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2021, 04:10 PM   #41
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFR View Post
You sure it's not just patina?
Loooool. Some would even call it Pumpkin, or NOS.
Old 15 March 2021, 01:14 AM   #42
linesiders
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Having replaced hands, bracelets, crystals, date wheels, crowns and probably some other items does not make a watch a frankenwatch by any stretch of one's imagination - at least not for me.

Maybe you can define frankenstein watch for us since I have never understood what the definition is myself.
Agree. A watch with factory service parts is not a Frankenwatch, it is simply a serviced watch.

A watch with significant aftermarket parts? Franken.

A watch with legit parts from other models? Franken (I am building a hypothetical Tudor Ranger in a 7020 Jumbo case one of these days - with all factory parts)

A fake case and dial with a factory movement? Well that is a piece of sh!t , not a Franken,
Old 15 March 2021, 04:49 AM   #43
1watch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It depends on the model and collector. If the hands are correct ie; gilt on a gilt and matte on a matte and the relume was done well, it may not be a lot compared to original hands/original lume. I personally prefer vintage to be preserved as they were made as much as possible.
1watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2023, 10:51 PM   #44
cruvon
"TRF" Member

Interesting conversation!

Last thing I remember, I was Running outta sight
I had to find the passage back,To the place I was before.
’Relax,’ said this Rolex place,We are programmed to receive.
You can checkout any time you like, But you can never leave!
cruvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2023, 12:03 AM   #45
jedione65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post
I understand your concern, there are a lot of people with a lot invested in the idea that 60 year old watches have naturally matching hands and dials, I have not found it to be the case.

20 years ago it wasn't that big of a deal, people understood the reason for variations in color and lived with it because that was the way it was. Occasionally, someone would go on a hand quest because of OCD but not to the extent they do today.

When vintage Rolex became a 'hard asset' about ten or fifteen years ago there was an influx of collectors who were more motivated by value preservation than any real love of vintage Rolex. Having a vintage Rolex was cool. They loved the idea of vintage Rolex and the value of vintage Rolex but the reality of 50/60/70 year old watches was not that appealing. :) LOL, damn things look old!

In order to mitigate some of this decrepit appearance they demanded matching hands on their high dollar collectibles, as always dealers complied. They also demanded completely original and unpolished 60 year old subs. Someday I'll give you my thoughts on the probability of the truly stunning number of 'original and unpolished' vintage Rolex that have been found. :)

Vintage Rolex is big business, certain realities have had to be swept under the rug to make the leap from niche nerd collectors to the mainstream value oriented collector whose needs are far different. Don't even get me started on those who are destroying beautiful jubilee bracelets because they are 'worn out'. What they want are new looking bracelets. They simply can't deal with the reality of a silky, well broken in bracelet that will last another 60 years if they keep it clean, it has to be new!!! lol

And yes, get off my lawn. :)
Probably best thing I've heard all day, lots of common sense. Granted it's still early morning.
jedione65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2023, 12:23 AM   #46
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Yes Agree
Perhaps the most courteous and knowledgeable member the RF has had since inception.
His input is still greatly missed.
RIP Richard.(⁠ ⁠◜⁠‿⁠◝⁠ ⁠)⁠♡

SHE'S A BAD MAMA JAMA - Carl Carlton
TuRo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2023, 01:37 AM   #47
dhknola
"TRF" Member

Agreed Paul, he was quite the gentleman.
dhknola is offline   Reply With Quote