The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 8 May 2021, 01:08 AM   #31
dcash0615
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es
1) This is a fair arrangement if you don’t want to wait for the Pepsi at MSRP without buying the ring.

2) Fair price for that ring is between $7500 - $8500.

3) Silly question. The diamond quality and what type of Rolex the person wears is irrelevant. Buy the nicest stone and setting you can get for your budget. What is more important here is the meaning behind the ring and not whether it is sufficient quality for someone who wears a Datejust.

4) To sweeten the deal, ask the AD to cover the sales tax on the ring. The ring is a much higher margin item than the Pepsi.

2FA security active
Old 8 May 2021, 01:11 AM   #32
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingaustin View Post
Lol, to everyone who is missing the point. Please re read, stick on topic and answer said questions.

The watch will be paired with purchase. I am asking if this is a good value deal, not wether or not I will receive the watch. I have no doubts about receiving said piece.
No.

Not unless you are willing to pay gray prices on the watch, which if you are, why not just go buy the watch gray market and then buy the ring?

BTW, congrats on both the engagement and the baby!

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
Old 8 May 2021, 01:14 AM   #33
nuwildcat928
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poweredbyjae View Post
OP if you goto Blue Nile and find a comparable loose diamond the range is approx $5,410 - $7,317. I assume the retail setting is $1-1.5k so approx market price is about $7.5-8k (not resale) for your setup. Considering you're paying a $5.5k-6k premium...

1.Considering I pay $13.5k + tax for the ring, and a Pepsi sells for about $10k above retail, is this a fair arrangement?
Yes assuming you wanted to the GMT without a wait
2. What is a fair price to pay for the ring without a package deal? $8k + tax
3. Is the diamond quality “enough” for someone who wears a date just on a daily basis or is there a big quality mismatch between the two? No comment
4. how can I sweeten this deal further and get more bang out of this transaction , I.e. requests and so forth
I'd ensure you're getting both the Pepsi and engagement ring concurrently, and requesting to acquire the next piece you want for xyz reason. That's up to you.
This. Same response I was gonna give. Do some research on buying loose diamonds like on Blue Nile or James Allen, etc.
Old 8 May 2021, 01:14 AM   #34
FlashinLeather
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydas1 View Post
What a world we live it. If you want the watch buy the watch, don’t be a victim of bundling. Don’t get bundled.
How is he getting "bundled?"

OP needs to buy a diamond - this isn't a purchase of something he doesn't want simply to get a watch. OP probably has no chance of getting a Pepsi at MSRP in the next 2+ years without the bundle. If he doesn't bundle he can go secondary for the watch. The bundle option is cheaper vs. getting a deal on the diamond and going secondary for the watch. Pretty simple math. Bundle away!
Old 8 May 2021, 01:26 AM   #35
yoast
"TRF" Member

Someone is getting a good deal here, but it's not you...
Old 8 May 2021, 02:24 AM   #36
Bavariandoc
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
... I have a good relationship with the AD...
This

AD is screwing you by overcharging you $6-7k for true value of ring, and you are trying to screw him back by getting SS and sell on grey market in hopes of $10k over... and you call that good relationship?

You need to determine for yourself if value is good and going through all this for making $1-2k in best case scenario.. don’t forget you still need to pay sales tax on both ring and watch
Old 8 May 2021, 02:38 AM   #37
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Edit: for the sake of saving time, please only answer the relevant questions if you are knowledgeable on the value of diamonds. I am not asking whether or not I will be receiving the watch nor am I asking moral advice on buying a ring and also pairing it for a personal gift. I am not making an emotional purchase, this is a strictly value for value consideration.

Hello everyone

I’m shopping for engagement rings for my pregnant girlfriend soon to be fiancé.

I was hoping to get advice on engagement rings and diamonds as I know nothing about jewelry/rings. I am looking to spend ~$10k usd on a ring and am open to suggestions on what my best bang for buck would be.

I went in to see my authorized dealer seeing if I could workout a deal in favors that I’ll receive a steel piece at the same time , Hopefully a gmt Pepsi.

They offered me a vs1, f color, excellent cut, 1 carot ring for $13,500 before tax in California. Princess set, white gold ring (Tiffany engagement style)

I know I’m getting ripped off here, but I don’t mind if I can make up on the Rolex buy side. My advisor told me if I buy this I will also receive a Pepsi. I have a good relationship with the AD and have purchased in the past so I feel that their promise is good for it.

Questions:
1.Considering I pay $13.5k + tax for the ring, and a Pepsi sells for about $10k above retail, is this a fair arrangement?
2. What is a fair price to pay for the ring without a package deal?
3. Is the diamond quality “enough” for someone who wears a date just on a daily basis or is there a big quality mismatch between the two?
4. how can I sweeten this deal further and get more bang out of this transaction , I.e. requests and so forth
the ad is making 10k gross profit off both items on you. think about that first.

if you go to sell that pepsi you arent getting 10k profit off it.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 8 May 2021, 02:40 AM   #38
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Lol, to everyone who is missing the point. Please re read, stick on topic and answer said questions.

Do you also enjoy herding cats?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 8 May 2021, 02:42 AM   #39
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavariandoc View Post
This

AD is screwing you by overcharging you $6-7k for true value of ring, and you are trying to screw him back by getting SS and sell on grey market in hopes of $10k over... and you call that good relationship?

You need to determine for yourself if value is good and going through all this for making $1-2k in best case scenario.. don’t forget you still need to pay sales tax on both ring and watch
X100

If an AD pulled this on me, I’d never come back. This deal is for someone who just walked in the door.

Don’t do it OP. You don’t need this drama in your life. Be happy, get married and maybe buy an Omega!
Old 8 May 2021, 02:46 AM   #40
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
He's going to tell you the price of the ring is lower because you're buying a Rolex at the same time. He's already told you that you are only getting the Rolex because you are buying the ring. You don't buy one, you don't get the other. IMO he's gouging you for the ring and making you think he's doing you a favor by selling you the watch.

RE: the ring alone, $13.5K for that ring sounds like a lot. Is he custom making it, or ordering from a designer/manufacturer? If the latter then I think you're over paying. Go on bluenile.com and build the same ring and see what they'd sell it to you for.
Old 8 May 2021, 02:53 AM   #41
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
1 ct. Princess Cut looks rather small - particularly in comparison with a round 1ct. Brilliant
Old 8 May 2021, 03:08 AM   #42
Brenngun
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
What ever happened to previous purchasing relationships being enough to get you on the list for the watch you want? AD is now creatively finding a way to tap into the grey market pricing structure without contravening Rolex contract. Very scummy.

Sorry OP I didn't reread your original post. Wasn't required.

Old 8 May 2021, 03:13 AM   #43
mg18
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
This is a bad deal, and I'm a bit surprised that part of your engagement ring shopping, for presumably one of the biggest events in your life, even contemplates a bundle for a watch. When I was ring shopping, I was so excited to get my wife the best ring I could afford, my own luxury purchases were not even on the radar.

I suppose we are different, but I would spend the most I can on a ring (within reason and keeping in mind, preferences, etc.,), and then worry about myself later. In my case, my wife actually got me a watch after buying her a ring, and I had 0 expectation that this would happen. In the end, it was very meaningful to me, just as shopping for the ring was. I can't imagine wanting to share that feeling by bundling the biggest purchase of my life at the time with a rolex.

If you're saying you only want to spend 10k on a ring because you think that is a reasonable amount and she doesn't want a bigger ring etc., then fine, but if any part of that budget is so you can buy a GMT, I'd probably approach that differently.

"I know I’m getting ripped off here, but I don’t mind if I can make up on the Rolex buy side." - that line says it all basically.. For the wife to be, a less desirable ring at that price point just so you can buy a pepsi, or maybe a BLNR, whatever they can get you...
Old 8 May 2021, 03:38 AM   #44
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMPCcoax
It’s not really surprising that this causing so much drama. The AD will be shifting a diamond he probably can’t reliably shift in the next 3 months. The Pepsi meanwhile would sell 50x over in that time in the window. If you’re happy go for it but there is ALWAYS a discount on diamond rings in any jeweller I’ve ever been in. If you’re happy go for it and good luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 8 May 2021, 03:46 AM   #45
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

To be honest I’d focus on getting the best ring possible for HER, not just a bundle deal for you.
Old 8 May 2021, 03:48 AM   #46
Walster
"TRF" Member

Agree with prior post. Take the money you would spend on the watch and put toward a bigger diamond. This is about her, not you.
Old 8 May 2021, 03:58 AM   #47
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Diamonds have very little to no actual value. Don’t believe me? Buy that ring and then try to sell it.
Old 8 May 2021, 05:26 AM   #48
swils8610

AD - offered steel Rolex with engagement ring

If you fiancée likes the stone and ring I’d go for it. What matters is how happy she is with the ring.

My wife’s diamond is one karat. She didn’t want anything bigger.

Bigger does not mean better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 8 May 2021, 05:41 AM   #49
Knappo 1307

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRick View Post
Q1 - It's not. A 1ct Princess cut diamond F/VS1 is at most a 7k diamond. (This assumes GIA certified diamond). You can likely get it for around 6k if you shopped.
Q2 - Figure its 1000 for the ring/setting - 8k is the MOST i'd pay.
Q3 - Yes - the quality is quite good, the size at 1ct may be small, but I don't know the person who would wear it. For 13.5k, you should be able to get closer to 1.4ct with the same specs (f/vs1)
Q4 - That's for you to decide. I wouldn't pay 13.5 for that ring unless I got a white Daytona immediately.
Quote:
This guy gets it!!!
Actually this guy gets it....
Old 8 May 2021, 06:30 AM   #50
crew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Curious, is this for the same girl you were looking to buy a ring (and a watch) for back in August of 2019?

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=692961
Old 8 May 2021, 09:32 AM   #51
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endoscopist View Post
To me, this seems like too much of a risk to be burned... unless you are completely happy with the ring you are getting.

If you are "settling" for this ring in hopes of acquiring a watch in the future, this is a bad deal.

I would focus on getting the best ring in your budget for your soon to be wife, regardless of anything else.

You will always be able to get a watch at some point - it's the same watch now as it will be years from now.

The memories associated with giving her that ring, however, should not be marred by the feeling that you "settled" or "overpaid" on something for the sake of a personal gain in the watch department.

This!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
Old 8 May 2021, 10:08 AM   #52
47Fountain
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub & Deep sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Diamonds have very little to no actual value. Don’t believe me? Buy that ring and then try to sell it.
You sir, are my hero. Trust me when I say, "I can relate to that statement".
Old 8 May 2021, 10:09 AM   #53
47Fountain
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub & Deep sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by crew View Post
Curious, is this for the same girl you were looking to buy a ring (and a watch) for back in August of 2019?

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=692961
Aha, great catch. Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 8 May 2021, 10:24 AM   #54
Texote69
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47Fountain View Post
Aha, great catch. Inquiring minds want to know.
Budget got cut in half from two years ago
Old 8 May 2021, 10:58 AM   #55
-dustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texote69 View Post
Budget got cut in half from two years ago
Pandemic problems.
Old 8 May 2021, 11:39 AM   #56
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
^^^^ this.

OP, do you have any friends in NYC diamond district?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
Old 8 May 2021, 11:54 AM   #57
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you
OP, you already had a BLRO back in 2019, are you sure you want another one?

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?p=9354974

♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
Old 8 May 2021, 12:49 PM   #58
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43

Quote:
Originally Posted by -dustin View Post
Pandemic problems.

What pandemic problems? This forum and watch enthusiasts worldwide have become wealthier over the last year. Who else is buying these Daytonas at 40k and BLRO at 23k?

Old 8 May 2021, 12:57 PM   #59
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleB View Post
OP, you already had a BLRO back in 2019, are you sure you want another one?

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?p=9354974

Nice detective work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie_Rollie View Post
Who else is buying these Daytonas at 40k and BLRO at 23k?

Not me!
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
Old 8 May 2021, 01:11 PM   #60
Johndong888
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endoscopist View Post
To me, this seems like too much of a risk to be burned... unless you are completely happy with the ring you are getting.

If you are "settling" for this ring in hopes of acquiring a watch in the future, this is a bad deal.

I would focus on getting the best ring in your budget for your soon to be wife, regardless of anything else.

You will always be able to get a watch at some point - it's the same watch now as it will be years from now.

The memories associated with giving her that ring, however, should not be marred by the feeling that you "settled" or "overpaid" on something for the sake of a personal gain in the watch department.

Absolutely this. Buy the best ring you can for your wife to be. Blue Nile is super easy to use and look at pricing

Everyone is going to have different criteria for diamond rings. To me, those grading suck for the price. Sorry.

Closed Thread