The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 31 July 2021, 11:49 AM   #31
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

AD only unless you've only got 8 months left to live.
Old 31 July 2021, 11:50 AM   #32
Big_Red
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGTHEMOGUL View Post
Looks clean!
Thanks. Well good luck on your journey. I thought never ever would I go gray, especially on such a big ticket item, but again I don’t think my DD was at premium and the sports models I had to trade were.

I’d recommend at least ask the trusted sellers here if they can source one and at what price.
Old 31 July 2021, 11:50 AM   #33
whiskyrolex
"TRF" Member

You shouldn't have to wait long for this watch. There's actually one sitting in the case at one of my local ADs. It has been there for a few weeks.
Old 31 July 2021, 11:52 AM   #34
BGTHEMOGUL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
Sales tax here is about 10%, so I'd give my AD about a month since sometimes these things show up way sooner than expected, and go gray if I didn't get it by then.
They already told me it will be about 8 months so they definitely won't be getting one within a month. Sales tax here is 7% so it would be just over $46,750 including tax if I order from the AD versus somewhere in the $51-55k range if I go grey now.
Old 31 July 2021, 11:53 AM   #35
BGTHEMOGUL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
AD only unless you've only got 8 months left to live.
Lol thanks for the feedback!
Old 31 July 2021, 11:54 AM   #36
BGTHEMOGUL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Red View Post
Thanks. Well good luck on your journey. I thought never ever would I go gray, especially on such a big ticket item, but again I don’t think my DD was at premium and the sports models I had to trade were.

I’d recommend at least ask the trusted sellers here if they can source one and at what price.
I'm not opposed to going grey it's just the mark up on them is a lot right now.
Old 31 July 2021, 11:54 AM   #37
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Ad for certain. Your essentially saving the cost of a submariner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 31 July 2021, 11:55 AM   #38
BGTHEMOGUL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskyrolex View Post
You shouldn't have to wait long for this watch. There's actually one sitting in the case at one of my local ADs. It has been there for a few weeks.
Are you sure it's a rose gold DD40 w/ chocolate baguette dial? This is a very hot watch at the moment so it would be surprising for one to be sitting at an AD. If it is in fact that watch would you mind messaging me the AD so I can try to buy it?
Old 31 July 2021, 11:55 AM   #39
BGTHEMOGUL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
Ad for certain. Your essentially saving the cost of a submariner.

Valid point thank you for the feedback!
Old 31 July 2021, 12:04 PM   #40
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you
Day-Date 40 Purchase: Order from AD for retail or pay grey market premium?

Quote:
I need some advice and opinions on my upcoming Day-Date 40 purchase.

I've decided on getting the rose gold with the chocolate baguette dial.

My AD said they can order it for me ($43,700 retail price plus tax) and it will take about 8 months to get.

On the grey market from everything I've seen they seem to be going for like $51-55k.

Would you order from the AD and wait or would you pay the premium to get now?

I don't buy watches solely as investments but I'd hate to pay the current grey market price and then the Day-Dates cool off and they start selling at retail or even less.

This makes me think ordering from the AD and waiting is the "safest" bet at least from a financial perspective.

What are your thoughts? What would you do? Thanks in advance!

Unless you have a particular event that warrants a RG DD40 over the next months, I’d wait for the AD.

I bought my DD40 last year, got 17% discount (YG DD40 with baguette dial at $29k) and got a BLRO and Blue SkyD within 2 months at MRSP from the same AD.

Not sure if you’re looking to buy other watches as well, but if you are, then AD is the way to go.

♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
Old 31 July 2021, 12:06 PM   #41
whiskyrolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Are you sure it's a rose gold DD40 w/ chocolate baguette dial? This is a very hot watch at the moment so it would be surprising for one to be sitting at an AD. If it is in fact that watch would you mind messaging me the AD so I can try to buy it?
I just checked and got the reference mixed up. It is the rose gold chocolate with roman numerals dial, not the chocolate baguette.
Old 31 July 2021, 12:10 PM   #42
BGTHEMOGUL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleB View Post
Unless you have a particular event that warrants a RG DD40 over the next months, I’d wait for the AD.

I bought my DD40 last year, got 17% discount (YG DD40 with baguette dial at $29k) and got a BLRO and Blue SkyD within 2 months at MRSP from the same AD.

Not sure if you’re looking to buy other watches as well, but if you are, then AD is the way to go.

Thanks for the input I appreciate it. Congrats on your YG DD40 that's a hell of a deal at $29k w/ the baguette dial. Granted it was a year ago but still. Yes I do plan on buying more watches I've got some others already in mind but the RG DD40 has been top of my list for a while now!
Old 31 July 2021, 12:12 PM   #43
BGTHEMOGUL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskyrolex View Post
I just checked and got the reference mixed up. It is the rose gold chocolate with roman numerals dial, not the chocolate baguette.
That watch is still very hot right now and highly sought after. Would you mind shooting me a message with which AD has it sitting there?
Old 31 July 2021, 12:13 PM   #44
zengineer
"TRF" Member

If someone said you could rent one for 8 months at $1000/month would that sound like a good deal? It's one thing to pay a premium if ever getting at an AD is unlikely but 8 grand is a hefty price to get it 8 months sooner.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 31 July 2021, 12:14 PM   #45
BGTHEMOGUL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
If someone said you could rent one for 8 months at $1000/month would that sound like a good deal? It's one thing to pay a premium if ever getting at an AD is unlikely but 8 grand is a hefty price to get it 8 months sooner.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Great point thank you for that!
Old 31 July 2021, 12:57 PM   #46
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
I need some advice and opinions on my upcoming Day-Date 40 purchase.

I've decided on getting the rose gold with the chocolate baguette dial.

My AD said they can order it for me ($43,700 retail price plus tax) and it will take about 8 months to get.

On the grey market from everything I've seen they seem to be going for like $51-55k.

Would you order from the AD and wait or would you pay the premium to get now?

I don't buy watches solely as investments but I'd hate to pay the current grey market price and then the Day-Dates cool off and they start selling at retail or even less.

This makes me think ordering from the AD and waiting is the "safest" bet at least from a financial perspective.

What are your thoughts? What would you do? Thanks in advance!

Wait and buy at retail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
Old 31 July 2021, 01:11 PM   #47
mile2424
"TRF" Member

I would also wait and go the AD route. Hopefully it will arrive sooner than they estimate, of course no guarantee's, but I have heard both ways. It will also help with future requests when you are looking for your next piece.
Old 31 July 2021, 01:15 PM   #48
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Get from an AD. The only time I would buy PM from a grey is when it is less than an AD’s MSRP. Looks like those days are over.
Old 31 July 2021, 03:49 PM   #49
Cauhauna
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
OP, the final sentence of your question reveals both your motive for asking and the answer: you'll save roughly 8 grand for waiting roughly 8 months. As someone pointed out in the thread, that's nearly a submariner. That's cause for consideration for most.

Others have hinted to shop at different AD's - and that's the best advice in the thread.

Quick story about availability - I had been hunting for a Polar Explorer II since November 2020. I went to 3 different AD's in my local major market, and had been on waitlists since that time. One dealer told me there was no one else on the list, and that I was next in line. After the Explorer II refresh was announced, I communicated with all of them, letting them know that I was, of course, still interested in the refreshed model. No news has come.

In July 2021, my wife and I vacationed and visited a few boutiques in some extreme high traffic areas. In the case was a DJ36 TT that my wife and I had been casually looking for (for her) since November 2020. We looked at it, and bought it. I asked if they had an Exp II Polar to bundle with it, and was told no -- but that they could probably get one for me soon. I figured I'd never hear from them, but they texted 3 weeks later with a brand new piece in hand for me.

Long story long, if you aren't shopping in a major major major market, you are hurting your chances. If you hit one of these super high traffic areas, you might get a much better result. I think big ADs have fun when people come in on vacation - you never know what you'll find.

It's worth adding that every single AD i visited offered to order the DJ36 for my wife - but none would commit to any promises about an explorer ii or do a combo deal. But, as soon as I found an AD with one sitting in the case, they turned one up within 3 weeks.

The moral is find the biggest major dealer in the busiest market you can, and pay them a visit on vacation. I think someone can order your watch, and get it fast. You might even be able to combo a low tier sports model with it.

Good luck, and, I agree - buy from an AD.
Old 31 July 2021, 09:04 PM   #50
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
AD

Old 31 July 2021, 09:33 PM   #51
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Is it about the watch or the money? For me it is usually a blend between both with me leaning toward the watch. With tax added you maybe within 2-4k difference between AD and Trusted Seller. Contact several of our Trusted Sellers and see what they can do price wise and with availability. See if there is one that is pre-owned and complete with warranty and the price of it. Get all of your information from both sides of AD/Grey and see where you stand. Buying Gray is a personal choice and I should know as I do it routinely. The "I will never pay over retail" crowd may have it right but in todays market it is much more difficult. If prices continue to rise and availability continues to diminish you may actually be making a good move to go Grey now and you can save money. Eight months from now your watch may be no where in sight from your AD and the prices could be higher. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Last edited by 1William; 31 July 2021 at 09:34 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 31 July 2021, 10:19 PM   #52
jltait
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116200
You time is worth more. Pay the premium, go grey. The longer you have it the more you can enjoy it.
Old 31 July 2021, 10:23 PM   #53
jltait
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116200
https://davidsw.com/shop/watch/rolex...-roman-dial-6/
Old 31 July 2021, 10:29 PM   #54
BGTHEMOGUL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
Wait and buy at retail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thank you for the feedback!
Old 31 July 2021, 10:30 PM   #55
BGTHEMOGUL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile2424 View Post
I would also wait and go the AD route. Hopefully it will arrive sooner than they estimate, of course no guarantee's, but I have heard both ways. It will also help with future requests when you are looking for your next piece.
Makes sense thanks for your input and congrats on your DD.
Old 31 July 2021, 10:31 PM   #56
BGTHEMOGUL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltmgeller View Post
Get from an AD. The only time I would buy PM from a grey is when it is less than an AD’s MSRP. Looks like those days are over.
Makes sense and I agree the only times I've bought grey before is when it was less than retail.
Old 31 July 2021, 10:35 PM   #57
BGTHEMOGUL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cauhauna View Post
OP, the final sentence of your question reveals both your motive for asking and the answer: you'll save roughly 8 grand for waiting roughly 8 months. As someone pointed out in the thread, that's nearly a submariner. That's cause for consideration for most.

Others have hinted to shop at different AD's - and that's the best advice in the thread.

Quick story about availability - I had been hunting for a Polar Explorer II since November 2020. I went to 3 different AD's in my local major market, and had been on waitlists since that time. One dealer told me there was no one else on the list, and that I was next in line. After the Explorer II refresh was announced, I communicated with all of them, letting them know that I was, of course, still interested in the refreshed model. No news has come.

In July 2021, my wife and I vacationed and visited a few boutiques in some extreme high traffic areas. In the case was a DJ36 TT that my wife and I had been casually looking for (for her) since November 2020. We looked at it, and bought it. I asked if they had an Exp II Polar to bundle with it, and was told no -- but that they could probably get one for me soon. I figured I'd never hear from them, but they texted 3 weeks later with a brand new piece in hand for me.

Long story long, if you aren't shopping in a major major major market, you are hurting your chances. If you hit one of these super high traffic areas, you might get a much better result. I think big ADs have fun when people come in on vacation - you never know what you'll find.

It's worth adding that every single AD i visited offered to order the DJ36 for my wife - but none would commit to any promises about an explorer ii or do a combo deal. But, as soon as I found an AD with one sitting in the case, they turned one up within 3 weeks.

The moral is find the biggest major dealer in the busiest market you can, and pay them a visit on vacation. I think someone can order your watch, and get it fast. You might even be able to combo a low tier sports model with it.

Good luck, and, I agree - buy from an AD.
Great input thank you for sharing. I'm in a major market and surrounded by other major markets and I've called all of the AD's in the area. The rest just wanted to take my information and put me on their "interest" list this was the only one I found that was willing to take a deposit and place an order. They said they could order the chocolate roman and chocolate baguette but are not allowed to order the olive. I also tried 3 different AD's while on vacation in The Bahamas last week and none had any watches. So at this point it seems like my options are to order from this AD and wait, pay the premium to go grey now or sit tight and wait to see if grey prices come down a little and grab it then.
Old 31 July 2021, 10:37 PM   #58
BGTHEMOGUL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie_Rollie View Post
AD

Thanks this seems to be quite the unanimous opinion!
Old 31 July 2021, 10:39 PM   #59
BGTHEMOGUL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Is it about the watch or the money? For me it is usually a blend between both with me leaning toward the watch. With tax added you maybe within 2-4k difference between AD and Trusted Seller. Contact several of our Trusted Sellers and see what they can do price wise and with availability. See if there is one that is pre-owned and complete with warranty and the price of it. Get all of your information from both sides of AD/Grey and see where you stand. Buying Gray is a personal choice and I should know as I do it routinely. The "I will never pay over retail" crowd may have it right but in todays market it is much more difficult. If prices continue to rise and availability continues to diminish you may actually be making a good move to go Grey now and you can save money. Eight months from now your watch may be no where in sight from your AD and the prices could be higher. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
For me it's a combination of the two the same way that it is for you. I've already done all of the research, contacted a number of trusted sellers, etc. The difference is about $5-9k not $2-4k. Retail is around $46-47k including tax and grey is about $51-55k not including tax.
Old 31 July 2021, 10:40 PM   #60
BGTHEMOGUL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jltait View Post
You time is worth more. Pay the premium, go grey. The longer you have it the more you can enjoy it.
Thank you for your feedback!
Closed Thread