The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 August 2021, 08:14 AM   #31
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
The Sea-Dweller died when it went to 43mm and got a cyclops IMO.
X2 the size is a major issue for me but it is a beautiful watch.

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 08:48 AM   #32
YoMike951
"TRF" Member

I've always enjoyed wearing my 126600, there's something about the way it feels.
YoMike951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 09:21 AM   #33
lacroix
"TRF" Member

It’s a matter of preference but I love mine. At the same time, many Rolex owners love the Hulk and Kermit; good for them but I’ll never own one as I personally hate them. So the moral to this story is if you like it, then that’s what matters!!!
lacroix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 09:28 AM   #34
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
I think that if you have the wrist for it, it's a great watch. For my 7' wrist, the 41 sub is the right size. Also, many have complained about the protruding case back being uncomfortable, regardless of wrist size. Good luck!
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 10:05 AM   #35
Scanspeakman
"TRF" Member

Fantastic watch! I totally love mine. Definitely the watch I wear the most.

Rolex fan base is very conservative. Every year after the new releases everyone is underwhelmed nothing really changed but if anything changes, like the "revolutionary" idea to add a cyclops or increase the size only 3mm to make it attractive for bigger wrists, lots of people complain. Hard crowd to please......
Scanspeakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 10:29 AM   #36
epc2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV,Pam etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Welcome to the forum.

There is a lot of love for that reference here IMHO. I owned one for about 3.5 years but finally I had to get rid of it due to the odd shaped caseback and comfort issues that it created. Many suffer from this affliction and many don’t YMMV.

If it weren’t for that, I’d still own it

FWIW, dial size is a bit of a misnomer for me as I find the dial on my Sub41 to wear larger than the SD43 or Dblue.
Same thing happened to me , loved the watch and size ,hated the comfort, sold it and got a Dblue , never looked back , I still apprecciate and love the look of the SD43 , it just didn’t work for me .
epc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 10:50 AM   #37
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
I love mine. I tried the Deepsea and it was too thick for my taste. The SD43 is the perfect size between 40 and "too big". I wouldn't base availability over the single fact you got lucky, most people aren't. But, congrats on being lucky, nevertheless.

It could also have to do with you enjoying the Panerai brand. I wear a 111 quite a bit and the size/weight of the two are similar.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 10:57 AM   #38
Mifune
Banned

Hate?
I don't see any hate. I think the six zero zero is the perfect size for a man's wrist. sometimes the 040/610 sub is slight small, but not the 600.

love your piece, I would if I had one... someday.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 10:57 AM   #39
Malum
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 D-Blue
I guess I love my wrist , my SD43 comfy my D-Blue comfy . Lucky me !
Malum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 11:06 AM   #40
Bruce_Wayne
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV Z-Blue
I actually think the opposite, about a year ago they people were raving about it…I think conversations have shifted to people just venting about cases being empty and future incomings in a week (then never updating).

Sent from the Waitlist at 6 different ADs
Bruce_Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 11:11 AM   #41
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
I love it…best outright tool watch that Rolex has ever made IMHO. Feels like you are wearing a bank vault on your wrist.
Daytonaman799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 11:16 AM   #42
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
There’s no way to know how many people were passed over for the watch for you, an existing good customer. Any SS sports model is hugely desirable, the SD43 premium on the gray market isn’t that great, $4-$5K over retail. I think people buying them even with the intention to flip are holding on hoping the market improves for them.

I got the first one my AD received when it came out, 2017 I think? I love it, the size, wrist presence, the smaller details. I have other watches so wouldn’t say I have one daily driver, but my SD43 gets the most wrist time of any I have. Congrats on the acquisition!
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 11:18 AM   #43
herts9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Wait until it gets discontinued. Then people will line up to get them like the hulk. Then watch out
herts9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 11:55 AM   #44
ganiccus
Banned

Watch: Exp II
Hate is a strong word, but the SD43 is kind of in a weird spot right now, the middle child in the Rolex family of divers. What the Sea-Dweller does well, the DeepSea simply does it better while the Submariner is the beloved, youngest son of the family, so to speak.

The design as well is kind of an awkward mash up of vintage inspired cues (the 50th anniversary angle with the single red line of text) and modern ones (bigger size, introduction of the popular cyclops). In my opinion, it was an attempt from Rolex to appeal to a broader audience (purists and casual enthusiasts alike) and push desirability on a reference that was no where near as popular as the Submariner line.

However, the fact that they also released a two tone version of this reference looks like they really went all in on their strategy to market the SD43 as a beefier Submariner for people who prefer big, bold sized watches. I think it's a good sign for the future of the Sea-Dweller in its current configuration, similar in a way to the Explorer II that is a larger sized GMT that doesn't have the same desirability as the GMT Master.
ganiccus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 12:02 PM   #45
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Regardless of the words on the dial, it’s a handsome watch. One that I’m happy to have in my collection along with the other size SDs.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 12:06 PM   #46
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
Quote:
Originally Posted by el3ctronick View Post
So here’s my story. I have always been a watch enthusiast.. I was able to buy my first luxury watch in 2008, a panerai. At that point I was finding every Rolex model super boring, and I still do. That’s mainly because all classic Rolex watches have been copied multiple times.. and I find the ~40mm dials small. I only liked submariner but it is tiny so it was a no go. Anyway, recently I purchased one more panerai and started looking at other options + looking for a more durable material apart from simple steel because steel panerais are getting marks easily. So this is where I saw the oystersteel from Rolex.. while browsing I found the 43mm sea dweller anniversary edition. Which basically was what I wanted.. oustersteel, and basically a submariner on steroids. So I read in multiple places that to get a Rolex nowadays is impossible.. you might need to wait forever. I went to the authorized dealer I got my panerai, asked and I was told about the “famous” allocation priority list.. I didn’t have much faith as I was told that I need to wait for about 3 years. 3 weeks later I got a phone call from the AD that since I am an existing customer etc, they decided to allocate a SD 43mm to me. Obviously, since I liked the watch I went for it and I am super happy! My question is, why I read so much hate about the 126600? Obviously if I was able to get it so quickly, there’s zero demand.. I am just wondering why nobody likes this watch.. I find it so nice! Probably the best Rolex I have ever seen for my taste :)Attachment 1240046

Here is a better question, why do you care if others post they don’t like the watch or make comments? The most important thing is that you were allocated a piece you wanted in next to no wait time. Everything else is BS. Congrats and enjoy your watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 03:58 PM   #47
10DeeQ
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 605
Quote:
So here’s my story. I have always been a watch enthusiast.. I was able to buy my first luxury watch in 2008, a panerai. At that point I was finding every Rolex model super boring, and I still do. That’s mainly because all classic Rolex watches have been copied multiple times.. and I find the ~40mm dials small. I only liked submariner but it is tiny so it was a no go. Anyway, recently I purchased one more panerai and started looking at other options + looking for a more durable material apart from simple steel because steel panerais are getting marks easily. So this is where I saw the oystersteel from Rolex.. while browsing I found the 43mm sea dweller anniversary edition. Which basically was what I wanted.. oustersteel, and basically a submariner on steroids. So I read in multiple places that to get a Rolex nowadays is impossible.. you might need to wait forever. I went to the authorized dealer I got my panerai, asked and I was told about the “famous” allocation priority list.. I didn’t have much faith as I was told that I need to wait for about 3 years. 3 weeks later I got a phone call from the AD that since I am an existing customer etc, they decided to allocate a SD 43mm to me. Obviously, since I liked the watch I went for it and I am super happy! My question is, why I read so much hate about the 126600? Obviously if I was able to get it so quickly, there’s zero demand.. I am just wondering why nobody likes this watch.. I find it so nice! Probably the best Rolex I have ever seen for my taste :)Attachment 1240046
Congratulations!

Im in the exact same position as you.
My watch collection are mostly PAMs
Aside from several seikos and gshocks and bell&ross, i have a big body so a big watches is a must for me, otherwise the watch will look tiny on my arms

I never thought of buying a rolex before
As i find them to small for me.
I did try the DSSD james cameron before but that that watch is way to heavy and thick to be worn comfortably.

Few days ago i was bored and i went to a Rolex AD in Singapore
I talk to the SA and managed to try the SD43 on my wrist.
I love it at the first sight since i ‘m looking for the first bracelet watch to add to my collection.
The SA told me that i have to be on waiting list, but he promised me that he’ll be doing his best to contact me in a few weeks time.
Well fingers crossed, hopefully i can get the watch before the end of the month
10DeeQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 04:11 PM   #48
carbon888
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Cyclops l SD43
I only have one watch and I chose the SD43 to be my daily. It's the perfect watch. I read many opinions on how uncomfortable it is, how big and heavy it is but my first impression when I opened the box, it ISN'T BIG AT ALL! Once it's on my wrist, I didn't get why people said it was uncomfortable. Again, you have people from two extremes. I did a poll on what people think about the LOOKS of SD43 with everything put aside (hype, gray prices, resale value etc) and surprisingly, it was only a few votes behind the Batman. This shows how underrated this watch is. It's a MONSTER!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=815451
carbon888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 04:55 PM   #49
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them.
Quote:
In my opinion two issues:

1) Some have a ‘problem’ with the cyclops.
2) Others say it is uncomfortable.

For the first point - can’t say much about that without appearing disrespectful. Suffice it to say I find it a silly point. Things evolve, and Rolex would have wanted a cyclops on the original model but the adhesives then weren’t good enough for the depth rating.

The second point is real. You need a flat wrist to enjoy the reference. If you have a flat wrist, then it is SUPERBLY comfortable. Of the watches I own the SD43 is the most comfortable of the set.

If you were not blessed with a flat wrist, then it is likely to be uncomfortable. This is due to the caseback.
BLNR Nairobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 05:17 PM   #50
Frank McKay
"TRF" Member

Massive watch, not for me. It’s beautiful but too much watch for me.
Frank McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 07:06 PM   #51
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Congratulations. I adore mine and my personal belief is that its the best all round dive watch Rolex has ever made.

It does, however, appear to be a love it or hate it watch for many people and its size, caseback shape and cyclops are very polarising.

Its size is, well, what it is. The caseback shape works really well for my wrist. And given that the Sea Dweller is the same age as me, my older eyes are very appreciative of the cyclops.

The real reason its not as popular is that it tends to appeal to true Rolex enthusiasts. Most buyers these days seem to want a Rolex because its a Rolex. SDs remain niche products.

The Instagram generation want Subs, not Sea Dwellers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLNR Nairobi View Post
In my opinion two issues:

1) Some have a ‘problem’ with the cyclops.
2) Others say it is uncomfortable.

For the first point - can’t say much about that without appearing disrespectful. Suffice it to say I find it a silly point. Things evolve, and Rolex would have wanted a cyclops on the original model but the adhesives then weren’t good enough for the depth rating.

The second point is real. You need a flat wrist to enjoy the reference. If you have a flat wrist, then it is SUPERBLY comfortable. Of the watches I own the SD43 is the most comfortable of the set.

If you were not blessed with a flat wrist, then it is likely to be uncomfortable. This is due to the caseback.
Well said

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 07:24 PM   #52
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
who hate seadweller?
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 07:35 PM   #53
Driver8
"TRF" Member

I absolutely loved mine when I bought it, but poor timekeeping after 18 months, followed by several weeks at RSC being (hopefully) fixed has put me off the 3235 movement for the time being. I also found it quite difficult to get a properly comfortable fit. It was never uncomfortable per se, but I was forever messing about with the Glidelock trying to perfect it, whereas on all my other Rolexes I size them once and that's it forever. I've literally just sold mine over the weekend.

But it's a beautiful piece and IMO a fantastic evolution of the SD line. I also like the fact (and I've said this before) you really have to WANT an SD to buy one. It's not the immediate choice of watch for those who just want social media likes.
Driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 07:50 PM   #54
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
No hate from me. Great watch.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 07:52 PM   #55
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
The Sea-Dweller died when it went to 43mm and got a cyclops IMO.
Respectfully, I beg to differ. The Sea-Dweller died with the 116600, the last 40mm SD was a total commercial failure, Rolex had to kill it after just 3 years' production. The Sea-Dweller was then reborn as the SD43, more beautiful and impressive than ever. The SD43 put the Sea-Dweller back on the road to commercial success. Now people actually want to buy a Sea-Dweller.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 08:08 PM   #56
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
A masterpiece of Rolex engineering and can be easier to wear if correctly sized.

10/10 for me.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 08:10 PM   #57
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Sea dweller 126600 hate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
Respectfully, I beg to differ. The Sea-Dweller died with the 116600, the last 40mm SD was a total commercial failure, Rolex had to kill it after just 3 years' production. The Sea-Dweller was then reborn as the SD43, more beautiful and impressive than ever. The SD43 put the Sea-Dweller back on the road to commercial success. Now people actually want to buy a Sea-Dweller.
saxo3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 08:45 PM   #58
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacroix View Post
It’s a matter of preference but I love mine. At the same time, many Rolex owners love the Hulk and Kermit; good for them but I’ll never own one as I personally hate them. So the moral to this story is if you like it, then that’s what matters!!!
I'll add the Daytona to that hate list of yours. I just can't look at any chrono watch except for the vintage ones "Paul Newman"
Old 23 August 2021, 09:07 PM   #59
el3ctronick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
Tbh this sea dweller brought me to Rolex. No disrespect to the brand and other models, I hadn’t paid attention to sea dwellers before(I like deep sea but it’s not optimal for my wrist size... plus I didn’t have the chance to buy it. I asked for sea dweller and got my preference 1)sd 43, DSJC, Deep sea black.. and got my first in the list).
el3ctronick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 09:24 PM   #60
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Welcome to the forum.

There is a lot of love for that reference here IMHO. I owned one for about 3.5 years but finally I had to get rid of it due to the odd shaped caseback and comfort issues that it created. Many suffer from this affliction and many don’t YMMV.

If it weren’t for that, I’d still own it

FWIW, dial size is a bit of a misnomer for me as I find the dial on my Sub41 to wear larger than the SD43 or Dblue.
Interesting to hear your opinion on the dial Brian as when I tried on numerous sub41s I too thought the dial looked bigger than the SD43.

I’ve voiced my opinion many times on the SD43, I bought as a rotation piece and my head was turned towards it because I couldn’t get the sub41 at retail. It’s now my most worn watch by an absolute mile and I’m so happy I found it it’s literally perfect for me.

Having said that it divides opinions massively some find it intolerably uncomfortable to wear whereas others including myself cannot even understand why people have this issue so it’s clearly due to wrist shape.

For me it’s nice to have basically a bigger submariner and be a little bit different to the masses and the red text is icing on the cake.

The submariner is a watch nobody has any complaints about especially with the new lugs which actually makes the watch look smaller in my opinion that the previous gen model with bigger lugs. So it will always be the more popular but for those of us who can wear the SD43 it’s the king :)
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote