The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 October 2021, 12:09 AM   #31
hitman23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oystersteel View Post
Yup very necessary

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

This pic makes me want one right now.

Love the dome crystal. I wish the dome was more pronounced.
hitman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 12:42 AM   #32
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
I personally love domed crystals, it is the main reason I love my 1665 and 126660 JC so much!

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 01:04 AM   #33
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
The DSSD is the best diver watch Rolex produces of not the best Rolex ever produced. Every single attribute (even the mk1) is not only exquisite but truly remarkable watch technology. IMO there’s not a single thing to criticize because every single mm is functionally purposeful.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 01:23 AM   #34
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Makes it even more unique, I like that.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 02:17 AM   #35
RustyW
"TRF" Member

disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
The DSSD is the best diver watch Rolex produces of not the best Rolex ever produced. Every single attribute (even the mk1) is not only exquisite but truly remarkable watch technology. IMO there’s not a single thing to criticize because every single mm is functionally purposeful.
What about the text all over the dial and ring lock?

I don't consider those mm to be functionally purposeful. I own one of the first ones that landed in the US back in 2008. I love almost everything about the watch, especially the matte dial, domed crystal, and steel ringlock.

However, the cluttered up text on the dial and the text on the ringlock and the thin bracelet are not good design features. In the end, I can't live with them and got a SD43. The worst is the "orignal gas escape valve" blah blah blah in text that is larger than Rolex and Deep Sea are printed on the dial. The DS would look so much cleaner with that beautiful steel ringlock clean and on it own.

My DSSD is now for sale. My brain/eyes couldn't handle it anymore. The ringlock text distracted me every time I looked down at it. A flashing billboard reminder.

That is my opinion on it. No need to scream about it on the front of the watch. Put all that jive/jibber jabber on the case back! The watch would be perfect in its current iteration with the ringlock text removed and a simplified dial...Rolex & Deep Sea are really the only words necessary. Let the bad boy's features/looks/technical prowess speak for itself. That could be said of much of the dials in Rolex's ss/sport collection.
RustyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 03:27 AM   #36
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyW View Post

I don't consider those mm to be functionally purposeful. I own one of the first ones that landed in the US back in 2008. I love almost everything about the watch, especially the matte dial, domed crystal, and steel ringlock.

However, the cluttered up text on the dial and the text on the ringlock and the thin bracelet are not good design features. In the end, I can't live with them and got a SD43. The worst is the "orignal gas escape valve" blah blah blah in text that is larger than Rolex and Deep Sea are printed on the dial. The DS would look so much cleaner with that beautiful steel ringlock clean and on it own.

My DSSD is now for sale. My brain/eyes couldn't handle it anymore. The ringlock text distracted me every time I looked down at it. A flashing billboard reminder.

That is my opinion on it. No need to scream about it on the front of the watch. Put all that jive/jibber jabber on the case back! The watch would be perfect in its current iteration with the ringlock text removed and a simplified dial...Rolex & Deep Sea are really the only words necessary. Let the bad boy's features/looks/technical prowess speak for itself. That could be said of much of the dials in Rolex's ss/sport collection.
I see where you're coming from
But with all the stuff that's already on the Caseback, there's no room for all the stuff on the dial go be put on the back as well.

Besides, if one doesn't like the Rolex way of advertising on the dial there's always plenty of other brands, as you are no doubt fully aware
What are you going to get to replace the DSSD when it's gone?
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 04:58 AM   #37
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
I think if the dial was larger it wouldn’t look right and I’m sure Rolex comped all that in early design cycles. As for the ring, why not? This product had to stand out very clearly from the rest of the line and any outside observer wouldn’t ever mistaken it for a sub. I didn’t like the ring for a long time but did get used to it after thinking what would have worked outside of that design.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 05:02 AM   #38
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Had no idea about the domed crystal, now I like it even more. Cool feature.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 05:30 AM   #39
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Many of my watches have flat crystals.
I hate flat crystals.
Too much glare.
YMMV.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 05:38 AM   #40
Deepseadog
Banned

Watch: 126660 279160
The domed crystal is perfect for me as my 16600 crystal had a significant number of chips by the time I sold it. Not a cyclops fan either.
Deepseadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 07:36 AM   #41
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
I think if the dial was larger it wouldn’t look right and I’m sure Rolex comped all that in early design cycles. As for the ring, why not? This product had to stand out very clearly from the rest of the line and any outside observer wouldn’t ever mistaken it for a sub. I didn’t like the ring for a long time but did get used to it after thinking what would have worked outside of that design.
This
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 08:15 AM   #42
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Actually the domed crystal is one of many reasons I fell in love with that model
Old 8 October 2021, 08:38 AM   #43
slus
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Pelagos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyW View Post

You have valid points, none of that necessary. Really, the entire watch isn't necessary, the whole thing is over the top, completely "extra", just Rolex showing off what they can do with a technical dive watch, to the ridiculous point that no human can survive the depth that the watch can outside of a submarine.
slus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 09:03 AM   #44
Oystersteel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp 2/Sub/YM/GV
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman23 View Post
This pic makes me want one right now.

Love the dome crystal. I wish the dome was more pronounced.
It's a great piece that I'm quite sure you're gonna love if you do get one!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Oystersteel is offline   Reply With Quote