The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 October 2021, 12:06 AM   #31
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post
You buy a watch from an AD. You put on the new watch and walk out the door. Know what you have now? A pre owned watch.

You buy a brand new car, drive it off the lot, know what you have? A used car.

The premium you paid was for the time saved waiting one, two, three years for the watch. Make the most of the time you bought or pack it away a and hope you can sell and get your money back in a year or three.
TimepieceRPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2021, 12:12 AM   #32
VegasBaby
Banned

Sounds like watch buying isn’t for you in the current market mania. It’s gotten too much into your head. Return the watch, you’ll feel better!
VegasBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2021, 12:15 AM   #33
Cauhauna
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post

The premium you paid was for the time saved waiting one, two, three years for the watch. Make the most of the time you bought or pack it away a and hope you can sell and get your money back in a year or three.

True that
Cauhauna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2021, 12:32 AM   #34
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
That is a beautiful Rolex! Many people will never even be able to own one, and you have that beauty on your wrist.

Have you ever bought a previously Loved house, or Car, or even a woman for that matter...

It should be about the memories that you create...

Enjoy, and post pics as often as possible...

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2021, 12:38 AM   #35
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousMaximus View Post
That is a beautiful Rolex! Many people will never even be able to own one, and you have that beauty on your wrist.

Have you ever bought a previously Loved house, or Car, or even a woman for that matter...

Haha, just a house. Haha. Because of buying this house, I had to sell my enitre Rolex collection, including 116500 and Hulk with all stickers on, which I cannot buy them back now. The market has completely changed when I have started to build my collection in late 2019.

But you re right, enjoy it when I still have it. Tried to upload the picture but the size is too big etc, can't be bothered.
Old 10 October 2021, 12:40 AM   #36
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
It sucks to have to go to gray after 2 years of waiting but at least you now have it. Enjoy.
doboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2021, 01:01 AM   #37
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Congrats, I got one from my AD and my brother bought one gray market and he got the call 1 week later. Lol maybe you will get a call one day. Then you can sell the one you bought gray.
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2021, 01:04 AM   #38
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimepieceRPP View Post
Have been waiting blue SkyD Blue dial for nearly two years and decided to go gray finally.

It arrived today but not as excited as I would expect. The SkyD blue is stunning but not sure if I paid premium and also pre-owned, it looks new though. Guess this is my first time to go gray but also the last time.

OCD? Like the experience in AD or what? I don't understand myself.... 😕

Anyone has the same feelings?
I'm not 100% sure what your question is, but the the blue Sky Dweller is a masterpiece. I wouldn't pay the grey premium for the blue model. Each to our own.

The paying part is over for you. Now you can enjoy the hell out of your Sky Dweller. This should not be difficult.

Congratulations.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2021, 01:10 AM   #39
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
Have been waiting blue SkyD Blue dial for nearly two years and decided to go gray finally.

It arrived today but not as excited as I would expect. The SkyD blue is stunning but not sure if I paid premium and also pre-owned, it looks new though. Guess this is my first time to go gray but also the last time.

OCD? Like the experience in AD or what? I don't understand myself....

Anyone has the same feelings?

I understand you felt this way. For some is nothing for others, like you “myself” is a big thing.
The only time I bought something used was a Leica M9 camera and that because it was not in production anymore.
If you don’t feel at ease with the purchase, flip the watch and keep waiting. Waiting is part of the enjoyment.
Old 10 October 2021, 01:16 AM   #40
joeboy
Banned

Can I be honest? The watch is underwhelming to look at. Just my HO of course but I would want a lot more pzahzz if paying above MSRP. What do u normally wear day to day?
joeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2021, 01:31 AM   #41
johnwigan
Banned

Quote:
Agree. I will be more "wise" now, although I still have 14 days to return it, I think I will keep it to remind myself to be patient and don't make such mistake again. Haha. I do like the SkyD blue very much though
I would feel bad if I paid a rip-off price for a mass produced second hand watch. If you can return it and get your money back, do so. What you said above is a daft reason to keep it.

This is the worse possible time to buy a Rolex. Once Covid-19 is behind us, give it 18 months and things will return to normal - which will be a disaster for many posters here.

Put your name down for a SkyD with an AD, if that is what you want, and wait. You may get one sooner than you think.
johnwigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2021, 01:43 AM   #42
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny83 View Post
Congrats, I got one from my AD and my brother bought one gray market and he got the call 1 week later. Lol maybe you will get a call one day. Then you can sell the one you bought gray.
Fingers crossed. I hope so.
Old 10 October 2021, 01:53 AM   #43
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:

My dogs are “pre owned” and “pre loved.”

I totally understand OP’s feeling but as others have noted, the grey premium is to erase the wait time for a watch that you can’t get now.

Think of wanting to get a ticket for a concert by your absolute favorite performer, or favorite sporting event, etc.. The box office sold out of all of the tickets but you can get the ticket for the perfect seat for a premium over face value. You do it, and wince at the price; do you let that interfere with your enjoyment of the event?
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2021, 02:00 AM   #44
rolexonlywatch
Banned

Watch: DJ2 41mm Winbledon
It’s not about the money. Feel like a sucker for paying hefty premium for a used watch. That’s me though. Enjoy .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rolexonlywatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2021, 02:01 AM   #45
logo
"TRF" Member

It seems like this is what happened:

- you wanted a watch, happened that said watch is “hard to obtain.”
- you stick it out, and say you’ll be happy on the waiting list
- time passes, Instagram and watch hype starts creeping in - “will I ever get the watch from an AD?”
- you convince yourself that paying 2x MSRP for a mass produced time piece is a logical thing, you start looking into secondary markets
- you are emotionally detached from logic, you’ve been looking at so many watches online that the secondary prices seem “normal.” You find one at a “good” price and you can’t stop thinking about it
- you pull the trigger, the watch arrives and the payment is made. You realize “wtf have I done?”

Welcome to being a watch enthusiast. You’ll find you are in good company with us here lol. Sorry it’s not as exciting, but I think with a two year wait you probably overhyped the experience. At the end of the day though, you now have a beautiful watch that will serve you well for the rest of your life. Paying over MSRP sucks, but in the grand scheme of things you probably won’t mind. Wear the heck out of it, make memories and enjoy it!
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2021, 02:15 AM   #46
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Sorry bro, the morning after can be rough. Hope you find the “one” soon. Lol.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2021, 02:17 AM   #47
novae500
"TRF" Member

Getting the blue at retail, long wait. Paying close to double, I’ll pass.

326933 SkyDweller, 126711 GMT II CHNR
12600 DeepSea Seadweller
14060 No Date Submariner
16710 GMT II Pepsi N-Series, Coke F Series
novae500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2021, 02:23 AM   #48
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boopie View Post
My dogs are “pre owned” and “pre loved.”
This part made me . Exactly!!
Thanks. So true for the rest.
Old 10 October 2021, 02:26 AM   #49
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

O.k........ Forget the money and how/where you purchased it. Thats done and over. Today and now looking at the watch,..... Do you like the watch or not??? This just sounds like pure and simple buyers remorse. For a lot of people the "hunt" is what thrills them and the game/watch becomes secondary. Does the watch and blue dial thrill you? if not, return the watch and take a time out until you get your head on strait. Todays watch buying environment is like learning to swim in a riptide.
Old 10 October 2021, 02:29 AM   #50
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
It seems like this is what happened:

- you wanted a watch, happened that said watch is “hard to obtain.”
- you stick it out, and say you’ll be happy on the waiting list
- time passes, Instagram and watch hype starts creeping in - “will I ever get the watch from an AD?”
- you convince yourself that paying 2x MSRP for a mass produced time piece is a logical thing, you start looking into secondary markets
- you are emotionally detached from logic, you’ve been looking at so many watches online that the secondary prices seem “normal.” You find one at a “good” price and you can’t stop thinking about it
- you pull the trigger, the watch arrives and the payment is made. You realize “wtf have I done?”

Welcome to being a watch enthusiast. You’ll find you are in good company with us here lol. Sorry it’s not as exciting, but I think with a two year wait you probably overhyped the experience. At the end of the day though, you now have a beautiful watch that will serve you well for the rest of your life. Paying over MSRP sucks, but in the grand scheme of things you probably won’t mind. Wear the heck out of it, make memories and enjoy it!
You read my mind, this is exactly what I have gone through. I believe what I get mad is i have some purchase history in two ADs and I still treat "nothing" and like I am begging them to give me the damn watch for free. The situation is not for free, I need to pay for it too. Again I can't blame anyone but myself as I am not a big spender as like others.

Have to say, it is really a great one.
Old 10 October 2021, 02:31 AM   #51
rolexperfect
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116506
I got similar levels of excitement when buying pre C Daytona at retail vs buying the LN recently. It’s more about the watch for me.

Old 10 October 2021, 02:57 AM   #52
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
Quote:
Haha, just a house. Haha. Because of buying this house, I had to sell my enitre Rolex collection, including 116500 and Hulk with all stickers on, which I cannot buy them back now. The market has completely changed when I have started to build my collection in late 2019.

But you re right, enjoy it when I still have it. Tried to upload the picture but the size is too big etc, can't be bothered.
Download the TapaTalk APP. It will let you upload pics on the fly with your phone...

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2021, 03:10 AM   #53
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
Quote:
Download the TapaTalk APP. It will let you upload pics on the fly with your phone...
Meanwhile giving up lot of your privacy. But then again, posting your watches does too, haha.
doboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2021, 03:59 AM   #54
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasBaby View Post
Sounds like watch buying isn’t for you in the current market mania. It’s gotten too much into your head. Return the watch, you’ll feel better!
I agree with this. Watch collecting isn't for everyone, especially if it's fuel for anxiety disorders, etc.

Probably won't be able to return due to buyers remorse, but would certainly have no problem selling it.

Depending on financials, the OP could also just pack it up and put it away for a bit (might even forget he owns it!). Then sell around the Holidays when the market will be even more accelerated.

Might make a few bucks more. But, that might be of absolutely no concern whatsoever, so selling the watch now and moving on would provide the quickest relief.

That's the great thing about Rolex, buying one, even at grey market price, isn't a "mistake". It can easily and quickly be reversed.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2021, 04:05 AM   #55
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
I agree with this. Watch collecting isn't for everyone, especially if it's fuel for anxiety disorders, etc.

Probably won't be able to return due to buyers remorse, but would certainly have no problem selling it.

Depending on financials, the OP could also just pack it up and put it away for a bit (might even forget he owns it!). Then sell around the Holidays when the market will be even more accelerated.

Might make a few bucks more. But, that might be of absolutely no concern whatsoever, so selling the watch now and moving on would provide the quickest relief.

That's the great thing about Rolex, buying one, even at grey market price, isn't a "mistake". It can easily and quickly be reversed.
This is why there little to no pressure in buying a hot model Rolex even in this climate.
Old 10 October 2021, 08:58 AM   #56
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Agree. I will be more "wise" now, although I still have 14 days to return it, I think I will keep it to remind myself to be patient and don't make such mistake again. Haha. I do like the SkyD blue very much though
Just enjoy it until your AD hopefully comes up with the watch for you then sell the grey one and alls good…..consider it a temporary set back paying grey