The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 January 2022, 07:01 AM   #31
"TRF" Member

I dont think they will update the SD43. It is my favorite watch and I find in very comfortable. I would be eager to see some updates though but I just dont see it. How about a full precious metal version?
6120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2022, 07:41 AM   #32
superpop
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 and SS SkyD
SD43 has been my daily for around 3 years and it is awesome. I have a pretty flat wrist so maybe that is why it is so comfortable. Love the size, heft and presence. It is the big brother to the sub, if you have girly wrists then the sub is probably a better choice.
superpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2022, 08:10 AM   #33
subx
"TRF" Member

the whole drama with comfort is for those who wear their watches loose:
the SD43 needs a tight snug fit on the wrist, and then it's totally fine.
Old 4 January 2022, 09:06 AM   #34
S7gpt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610ln YM37 wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by subx View Post
the whole drama with comfort is for those who wear their watches loose:
the SD43 needs a tight snug fit on the wrist, and then it's totally fine.
tried it tight and loose, couldn't get it comfy or look right for me. Agree its a great looking watch though but no regrets swapping for the sub 41.
S7gpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2022, 10:27 AM   #35
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
I haven't noticed any discomfort with mine. Have you guys ever thought of replacing the caseback with the flat titanium one from the Deepsea? Wondering if it would fit.
I dont think it will but someone more knowledgeable may have the definitive answer.

I did go so far as to have a local machinist quote a custom made SS caseback. But needless to say it was price prohibitive and I was too chicken

I realize that for many its the perfect diver ... I truly wish I didn't have this issue because otherwise it would be the perfect diver IMHO

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2022, 11:25 AM   #36
BMWMotoRider
"TRF" Member

You're all making me nervous over the case back. I'm awaiting a Sea Dweller 43 and am going on my memory from the only time I was able to put one on my wrist 2 years ago (not adjusted to fit me nor was I seriously looking at that time). I've been to 5 AD's in the past few months and those with some exhibition models did not have the SD43 nor did a couple of grey market dealers.

I have put several Deep Seas on my wrist and although too thick for my daily watch, I wouldn't hesitate to wear one. Same feeling with an Explorer II. I have a tiny 6.5" wrist but it is flat and feel that the case back is a plus as others have mentioned to keep the crown from digging in.

A Sub would be a safer bet but I really like the Sea Dweller being less common, love the red text, etc.

Hopefully I will get a call in the not too distant future and will be happy with my decision.
BMWMotoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2022, 11:30 AM   #37
Uncle Meat
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I love my SD43 and find it a very comfortable watch to wear so no problems with the case back. For me anyway.

"Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny"
Uncle Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2022, 07:35 PM   #38
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLNR Nairobi View Post
It is a reference that some people find to be very comfortable and others quite uncomfortable. The determining factor is a simple one - do you have a flat wrist or not?

If you have a flat wrist, you will most likely find it to be very comfortable. Possibly one of the most comfortable references out there.

If you do NOT have a flat wrist, then the case back design will make it uniquely uncomfortable. It will simply not feel right on your wrist.

It is not about the size of one’s wrist but rather about whether it is a flat wrist (good for the reference) or a rounded wrist (not a good thing for this reference).
This is good information and very true.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2022, 11:26 PM   #39
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Only change I could see them doing would be to remove the red text. Next year I think will mark the end of year five which seems to be a good run for an "anniversary" model. But Rolex never seems to do what we expect so who knows.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2022, 12:11 PM   #40
Nanasaka90
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600, 126600, 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
I haven't noticed any discomfort with mine. Have you guys ever thought of replacing the caseback with the flat titanium one from the Deepsea? Wondering if it would fit.

I doubt it, the DSSD case back comes in two pieces, the titanium case back and a screw down case back ring. The titanium case back rests against the compression ring inside, I don’t think it would have anything to rest against on the SD43.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nanasaka90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2022, 12:19 PM   #41
Nanasaka90
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I dont think it will but someone more knowledgeable may have the definitive answer.

I did go so far as to have a local machinist quote a custom made SS caseback. But needless to say it was price prohibitive and I was too chicken

I realize that for many its the perfect diver ... I truly wish I didn't have this issue because otherwise it would be the perfect diver IMHO

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Funny I’ve actually gone the same route, I’ve requested a quote for a custom case back, the only catch being that I want to maintain the depth rating. Haven’t received the quote yet.

Old 5 January 2022, 12:23 PM   #42
BMWMotoRider
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanasaka90 View Post
I doubt it, the DSSD case back comes in two pieces, the titanium case back and a screw down case back ring. The titanium case back rests against the compression ring inside, I don’t think it would have anything to rest against on the SD43.
[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220105/293ab5644dcd38179ce35a1f3bfb6fd0.jpg[/

That crystal is insane!
BMWMotoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2022, 01:43 PM   #43
JDA0779
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO Jubilee
The Sd43 is a great watch , i had it for 1 year or so, but due to the weight had to let it go. I really liked it but it does get uncomfortable after sometime.
JDA0779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2022, 02:01 PM   #44
Malum
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 D-Blue
I don’t consider myself in perhaps the top 2% of strongest men in the world , but I wear my SD43 all day weeks at a time and I don’t even notice it’s there . You wouldn’t know it to look at me but don’t try to strong arm me for my watch , you will get hurt .
Malum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2022, 03:51 PM   #45
Divingdeep87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Funny I’ve actually gone the same route, I’ve requested a quote for a custom case back, the only catch being that I want to maintain the depth rating. Haven’t received the quote yet.

Do own a deep sea as well? If you do (your profile pic) do you have the same discomfort on that?
Divingdeep87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2022, 03:55 PM   #46
Nanasaka90
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingdeep87 View Post
Do own a deep sea as well? If you do (your profile pic) do you have the same discomfort on that?

Yes I own a DSSD, it is far more comfortable. I’ve even slept with it on numerous times..

Old 5 January 2022, 04:40 PM   #47
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
Quote:

can't imagine someone would go this far, glad I wear the SD43 daily without any issue. my advice is have the diver extension removed and don't wear it too tight. have you tried these before?
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2022, 05:29 PM   #48
Tampashooter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galion View Post
I hope not, it’s perfect the way it is. I don’t get the comfort issues with this watch, wears great unless you have tiny wrists.

Not accurate. I dont have tiny wrists. 7.25. Deep Sea wears like an old sweater. The sd43 feels awful.

It’s about wrist shape. Not size.

I’ve been through 3 sd43. I gave up.
Tampashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2022, 06:16 PM   #49
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Updated Sea Dweller 43 this year?

Here’s how the SD43 wears on my wrist. The case back disappears and the watch is as flat and low profile as it can get. Im yet to find a watch as comfortable, stable and well balanced as this one.
IMHO, the only way a substantial watch can become uncomfortable is when it’s sitting bellow the wrist bone. If the watch is worn the way it should, behind wrist bone, where plenty of flat surface is available to accommodate any case watch design, there should be no comfort issues.

Bellow a picture of it bellow my wrist bone. I would not wear it more than a couple of minutes there. So uncomfortable it hurts.

Old 5 January 2022, 06:38 PM   #50
Manu74
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 | LVc | SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Only change I could see them doing would be to remove the red text. Next year I think will mark the end of year five which seems to be a good run for an "anniversary" model. But Rolex never seems to do what we expect so who knows.
I don't think the red text will be removed, as it will really hurt the sales numbers for this reference.
Manu74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2022, 06:42 PM   #51
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu74 View Post
I don't think the red text will be removed, as it will really hurt the sales numbers for this reference.
how about change it into tiffany blue dial?
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2022, 06:44 PM   #52
Divingdeep87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes I own a DSSD, it is far more comfortable. I’ve even slept with it on numerous times..

Great to hear! In 4 weeks my d-blue will arrive at the AD. Oooooh yes!
Divingdeep87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2022, 06:45 PM   #53
Manu74
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 | LVc | SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo99 View Post
how about change it into tiffany blue dial?

Not really my cup of tea ;)
Manu74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2022, 10:13 PM   #54
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rori View Post
Here’s how the SD43 wears on my wrist. The case back disappears and the watch is as flat and low profile as it can get. Im yet to find a watch as comfortable, stable and well balanced as this one.
IMHO, the only way a substantial watch can become uncomfortable is when it’s sitting bellow the wrist bone. If the watch is worn the way it should, behind wrist bone, where plenty of flat surface is available to accommodate any case watch design, there should be no comfort issues.
This has been my experience as well. The protruding case back sinks into my wrist and keeps the watch nice and planted. I would hate for them to move to a flatter case back like the DSSD. To do this they would have to carry more of the thickness in the case itself giving more of a block appearance to the case flanks like the DSSD. The current case back is what allows it to wear so much slimmer on the wrist than its numbers would suggest. Personally I've never had any issues with pain or discomfort and I've owned this watch for four years now.
Old 5 January 2022, 11:30 PM   #55
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I don't think so, no.

It's one of the best watches in the catalogue, (IMO), so when it comes time for "upgrades"--and I don't think it's been out long enough for that--I think you'll see what happened with the EXP2 (another nearly perfect watch), minuscule changes.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2022, 11:56 PM   #56
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu74 View Post
While I agree that the red would be more desirable than white, Rolex sells every watch they produce and I'm pretty sure they'd sell all the Sea Dwellers they produce either way.

Changing the red text would make the anniversary aspect of this watch more special and meaningful if it only went five years. One year would have been perfect but that ship has sailed.
Old 6 January 2022, 12:36 AM   #57
Driver8
"TRF" Member

I don't see them doing anything to the SD43. The SD43 has been out less than 5 years and Rolex tend to have pretty long runs on their models. Admittedly the SD4K only ran for 3 years, but it was (at the time) markedly less popular than the SD43 is nowadays.

I don't see why they'd remove the red text. If they'd removed after the first year of production then I could understand it as it would've meant that one single year would've been the true anniversary piece. But 5 years down the line? Absolutely no point IMO.

I just don't see any changes being made to it at all.
Driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2022, 09:35 AM   #58
Rolexsd4000
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Mk1 , TT SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLNR Nairobi View Post
It is a reference that some people find to be very comfortable and others quite uncomfortable. The determining factor is a simple one - do you have a flat wrist or not?

If you have a flat wrist, you will most likely find it to be very comfortable. Possibly one of the most comfortable references out there.

If you do NOT have a flat wrist, then the case back design will make it uniquely uncomfortable. It will simply not feel right on your wrist.

It is not about the size of one’s wrist but rather about whether it is a flat wrist (good for the reference) or a rounded wrist (not a good thing for this reference).

Yes Flat wrist

Old 6 January 2022, 10:44 AM   #59
fgress3969
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD - YM - BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo99 View Post
can't imagine someone would go this far, glad I wear the SD43 daily without any issue. my advice is have the diver extension removed and don't wear it too tight. have you tried these before?
Exactly, same thing for me
fgress3969 is offline   Reply With Quote