The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 February 2022, 01:22 PM   #31
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I used some generic 3M film only on the clasp of my BLRO for a few months, found myself replacing it every few weeks. Gave up a few months in. The clasp always takes the worst beating, you might try that but I think the individual bracelet links would be too noticeable.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2022, 01:22 PM   #32
BillhymerMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk, Superman
I bought both the film and the protective epoxy “paint” for my 18k gmt meteorite. Don’t do it. It’s like a fad diet…sure you’ll lose a few pounds but it never works long term. The film gets dirt behind the edges and begins to look bad in weeks not months. I pulled all the film off mine in 6 weeks and have embraced the scratches. I’m much happier. The paint crap is exactly that.
BillhymerMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2022, 01:49 PM   #33
jdp12199
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebreath View Post
Thanks. Full PPF on a black Porsche 911 was an eye opener! Never going back. The ease of wearing and washing without creating swirls would be the appeal for a watch. But I suspect the interference of tactile feedback would be the main negative.
911 is my dream car!

I put PPF on the front end on my Tacoma after noticing two chips on it after two weeks of ownership. Without PPF i would constantly have to clean the chips and put touch up paint on them to prevent rust. My Rolex isn't going to rust.

FYI - Swirls whether on a car or watch are caused by improper cleaning techniques. And yes, swirls are most noticeable on black cars. But PPF can also get swirl marks on it.

I honestly don't care what anyone else does with their watch. I'm just stating my reasons for not putting protective film on my watch. The reasons for me are:

1. Looks tacky
2. Edges collect dust and lint
3. Can pitt the steel in the long run from trapped moisture
4. I don't plan on selling my watch so the dings and sratches don't mean anything to me in terms of resale value

If you're deadset on getting film for your watch, don't get invisishield as it didn't last long on my buddy's watch. Also do some research on pitting steel before you go down that path as you may end up doing more bad than good to your watch
jdp12199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2022, 01:51 PM   #34
jdp12199
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillhymerMD View Post
I bought both the film and the protective epoxy “paint” for my 18k gmt meteorite. Don’t do it. It’s like a fad diet…sure you’ll lose a few pounds but it never works long term. The film gets dirt behind the edges and begins to look bad in weeks not months. I pulled all the film off mine in 6 weeks and have embraced the scratches. I’m much happier. The paint crap is exactly that.
You coated your watch in epoxy??? Were you able to remove it?
Old 17 February 2022, 01:51 PM   #35
Couchpotato
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by underpar View Post
"A ship in the harbor is safe but that's not what ships are built for."

-Albert Einstein
Does this Albert guy happen to know how many subs people getting nowadays are actually for diving?
Couchpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2022, 01:53 PM   #36
lifebreath
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteryacht View Post
Buble wrap. It’s French.
Film à bulles. C'est le meilleur.
lifebreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2022, 01:55 PM   #37
underpar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Does this Albert guy happen to know how many subs people getting nowadays are actually for diving?
Probably not but less diving requires less film, no?
underpar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2022, 02:00 PM   #38
Couchpotato
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Probably not but less diving requires less film, no?
According to who?
Old 17 February 2022, 02:04 PM   #39
underpar
Banned

Quote:
According to who?
Anyone with an IQ over 90 I'm guessing.
Old 17 February 2022, 02:12 PM   #40
Couchpotato
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Anyone with an IQ over 90 I'm guessing.
You must be smart.
Old 17 February 2022, 02:15 PM   #41
lifebreath
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdp12199 View Post
911 is my dream car!

FYI - Swirls whether on a car or watch are caused by improper cleaning techniques. And yes, swirls are most noticeable on black cars. But PPF can also get swirl marks on it.

I honestly don't care what anyone else does with their watch. I'm just stating my reasons for not putting protective film on my watch. The reasons for me are:

1. Looks tacky
2. Edges collect dust and lint
3. Can pitt the steel in the long run from trapped moisture
4. I don't plan on selling my watch so the dings and sratches don't mean anything to me in terms of resale value

If you're deadset on getting film for your watch, don't get invisishield as it didn't last long on my buddy's watch. Also do some research on pitting steel before you go down that path as you may end up doing more bad than good to your watch
Thanks for your comments.

I started wrapping the car because I track. After doing it, I realized how easy it was to wash. Now I primarily use Optimum No Rinse Wash + Wax using the Garry Dean method, followed up with Optimum Opti-Seal as a drying agent. It's awesome and I can do it in the garage in about 30 minutes. Plus, you can interrupt the job part way through and return to it later, since you wash a section at a time.

Cleaning technique will minimize, but won't eliminate swirls, especially on black paint. The Xpel PPF was self-healing and virtually impervious to everything. Never a swirl or scratch.

I solved the problem even better by getting a Viper Green RS with PPF! The bright green is very forgiving and looks cooler with rubber marks from the track. Well, it looks cooler altogether and much more fun at the track! Full clear bra protects on the track and makes it a breeze to clean.

Good point about pitting with steel. I was considering for gold, which I doubt would be susceptible to pitting. But based on the overall feedback in this thread, I think I'll forego the experiment. Gold always looks great!
Old 17 February 2022, 02:18 PM   #42
lifebreath
"TRF" Member

Quote:
According to who?
To whom.

Oh wait, I see you're Canadian.

I use my Sub for diving. No joke.
Old 17 February 2022, 02:23 PM   #43
underpar
Banned

Quote:

Explains a lot.
Old 17 February 2022, 02:30 PM   #44
Couchpotato
"TRF" Member

Quote:
To whom.

I use my Sub for diving. No joke.
Guess I must be a rare breed then, coz I don’t use my Sub for diving.
Old 17 February 2022, 02:32 PM   #45
jdp12199
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for your comments.

I started wrapping the car because I track. After doing it, I realized how easy it was to wash. Now I primarily use Optimum No Rinse Wash + Wax using the Garry Dean method, followed up with Optimum Opti-Seal as a drying agent. It's awesome and I can do it in the garage in about 30 minutes. Plus, you can interrupt the job part way through and return to it later, since you wash a section at a time.

Cleaning technique will minimize, but won't eliminate swirls, especially on black paint. The Xpel PPF was self-healing and virtually impervious to everything. Never a swirl or scratch.

I solved the problem even better by getting a Viper Green RS with PPF! The bright green is very forgiving and looks cooler with rubber marks from the track. Well, it looks cooler altogether and much more fun at the track! Full clear bra protects on the track and makes it a breeze to clean.

Good point about pitting with steel. I was considering for gold, which I doubt would be susceptible to pitting. But based on the overall feedback in this thread, I think I'll forego the experiment. Gold always looks great!
I'm def going to look into your cleaning process.

It takes me like 3 hours to wash my Tacoma but it stays clean for about 3 months. It almost looks like I get a wash everyday.

Powerwash rinse, foam cannon (with the pink Chemical Guys stuff), powerwash rinse, handwash with Carpro Reset (2 bucket method), powerwash rinse, dry with high density drying cloth and compressed air, and finally apply Carpro Reload with micro fiber cloth.

I do love sports cars but not at a point where one is practical for me yet. Still planning on getting married and having kids in the near future. I do have a Suzuki GSXR 750 which more than scratches the itch for speed / adrenaline though. (scratches the itch not the watch)

I'm not going to lie, I wish I could keep my watch free of scratches but I can't... so I don't worry about it anymore. I also baby new watches for a month or two and then I'm just careful with them but do know that accidental scratches are bound to happen.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 17 February 2022, 02:35 PM   #46
lifebreath
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Guess I must be a rare breed then, coz I don’t use my Sub for diving.
Well, no one REALLY uses them for diving, since everyone uses a dive computer. But it's quaint to believe I use it for diving. I set the bezel, and it's a backup if the computer fails.
Old 17 February 2022, 02:38 PM   #47
lifebreath
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdp12199 View Post
I'm def going to look into your cleaning process.

It takes me like 3 hours to wash my Tacoma but it stays clean for about 3 months. It almost looks like I get a wash everyday.

Powerwash rinse, foam cannon (with the pink Chemical Guys stuff), powerwash rinse, handwash with Carpro Reset (2 bucket method), powerwash rinse, dry with high density drying cloth and compressed air, and finally apply Carpro Reload with micro fiber cloth.
If it's really grimy, I'll do a quick powerwash rinse first. Game changer. Just need a boatload of good microfiber towels. I use The Rag Company products.
Old 17 February 2022, 03:22 PM   #48
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
For 25 years I have worn watches without protection, but now I ̶F̶e̶e̶l̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶t̶e̶c̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶ am open to the potential merits and pitfalls of new ideas and technology. I don’t “need” anything. We’ll, except a good supply of Rolexes at msrp (or discounted) like the old days.

When first confronted with the idea of protective film, I scoffed and made the same condescending comments about condoms, couches, etc. Then I started asking myself if there’s any merit to the idea. I’m ambivalent, but feel input from others who have tried would be helpful.

Yellow gold Daytona. With those lovely shiny center links. I have other gold watches, so I know the metal. Just wondering if it’s worth trying.

Was a question out of pure curiosity, didn’t mean for it to come off like it did. More curious as in, hey you have been wearing it one way for so long, why now?

If the yellow gold Daytona is new and not worn for long it could make sense. I’ve seen the bracelets wrapped, and they look awful. The clasp if done right looks pretty good, but you have to change it every once in a while when dirt gets in. I would do the case and the clasp and see how that goes. Worth trying, can’t be too pricey.
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2022, 03:33 PM   #49
lifebreath
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
Was a question out of pure curiosity, didn’t mean for it to come off like it did. More curious as in, hey you have been wearing it one way for so long, why now?

If the yellow gold Daytona is new and not worn for long it could make sense. I’ve seen the bracelets wrapped, and they look awful. The clasp if done right looks pretty good, but you have to change it every once in a while when dirt gets in. I would do the case and the clasp and see how that goes. Worth trying, can’t be too pricey.
No problem - same with my reply. Things don't always translate well on the web.

It's really the center links that bug me most, especially the wear on the 12 o'clock side from working at a desk. The bezel on the non-ceramic Daytonas is the other place that gets it over time, but I cant imaging putting film over the bezel.

I'll probably just suck it up.
Old 17 February 2022, 04:26 PM   #50
cryptowalkway
Banned

Quote:
TRIGGER WARNING: Content in this post may be disturbing and may elicit strong negative responses or cause to resurface traumatic memories of scratches and dings ...

REPLY WARNING: All replies, implicit or explicit, that are non-responsive to my question WILL BE EXPRESSLY IGNORED!!! E.g., "that's idiotic," "Rolexes are designed to be thrown across canyons," "buy a watch you can afford," "grandma's couch," "it's always better without protection," etc ...

I have been collecting and wearing luxury watches for 25 years. I've never shied from wearing my watches. I've worn my Rolex Subs and GMTs very hard, and they look great after years of abuse. I wear a YG Day-Date daily. I've been a bit more careful with my Patek Philippes, FP Journe, Lange & Sonne, etc., for obvious reasons, but have worn them all. I should know better, but ...

Serious Query:

Having attempted a preemptive strike against the collective scorn of my peers, I would like to hear FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE DIRECT EXPERIENCE, if you dare, pros and cons of protective films and specific brands - what you liked or disliked. Especially regarding gold polished center links.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!
The fact you’re so scared of the type of response you will receive, is all the more sweet
cryptowalkway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2022, 05:37 PM   #51
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

If it increases someone’s enjoyment of one’s watch, why not?

Instead of going this route, I sold my Explorer II with its bezel insert that got marked/scratched like crazy and bought a Submariner with ceramic insert. I’ve been much happier and don’t worry about the watch.

Whatever works. What counts is wearing and enjoying one’s watch. IMHO.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2022, 05:38 PM   #52
Mathematoxic
"TRF" Member

There is no wrong for choosing to apply protective films on watches for whatever reason. Some like their watches to look worn, some prefer it being new and shiny. For me I definitely like mine looking new. Will recommend RX-8. Good protection but quite costly.
Mathematoxic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2022, 10:28 PM   #53
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Keep the watch in the safe…… then when you die someone else will get a mint watch….. easy enough…. No plastic needed
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2022, 10:29 PM   #54
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:

REPLY WARNING: All replies, implicit or explicit, that are non-responsive to my question WILL BE EXPRESSLY IGNORED!!! E.g., "that's idiotic," "Rolexes are designed to be thrown across canyons," "buy a watch you can afford," "grandma's couch," "it's always better without protection," etc ...
Good luck to you
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2022, 10:36 PM   #55
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
lol at this point Rolex should scrap the oyster case and just build a bubble wrap case
Marcjvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2022, 11:27 PM   #56
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
lol at this point Rolex should scrap the oyster case and just build a bubble wrap case
100 year waitlist for the bubble wrapper……
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2022, 11:41 PM   #57
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I personally wouldn’t want to cover the beautiful factory finish with protective film, as this would take away from my enjoyment of wearing them.

Let’s see a picture of your collection OP
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2022, 12:27 AM   #58
GONZO2LR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
i took pictures of my Rolex.....
I show them when someone ask what time is it....
i dare not wear it, might get scratched or i get robbed....
i tell them it's at the bank under safe and key...
It's wrapped in reynolds wrap too...but now im worried about condensation?

I wonder if it really safe in the bank...they could get robbed, or a fire...or get flooded...
Too many things could go wrong....
Owning a Rolex is real stressful....

what do you guys think i should do???
GONZO2LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2022, 12:30 AM   #59
lifebreath
"TRF" Member

Protective films? Suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I personally wouldn’t want to cover the beautiful factory finish with protective film, as this would take away from my enjoyment of wearing them.

Let’s see a picture of your collection OP

With a YG Daytona 116508 being delivered today ( weather permitting).
Old 18 February 2022, 12:44 AM   #60
HKP7M8
"TRF" Member

I had my car wrapped and they gave me a left over piece for my watches. Problem is I can't see the dial anymore. But it's scratch free!
HKP7M8 is offline   Reply With Quote