The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 February 2022, 09:57 PM   #31
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
I don’t understand purchasing something you don’t like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Sorry that's exactly why we are today with these so called AD games,why anyone would buy anything they did not want defeats me.
Have to agree ^^^
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2022, 10:06 PM   #32
marcopome72
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Only way, and perfect way to buy this model…at retail price at AD.
Let’s stop with considering all Rolex models worth of speculation! With the theoretical presumption that no model should be object of speculation.
Snob all the models we were used to…just to be coherent…against the funny Rolex policy of sale!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk Pro
marcopome72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2022, 10:24 PM   #33
alweisenberger
"TRF" Member

I think it will help. Can always sell yours to get your money back if you want.
alweisenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2022, 10:32 PM   #34
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddypeepa View Post
It’s odd because the 126300 is a better better watch than an OP 41 given the date function imho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unless you don't want a date wart, in which case it is worse worse.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2022, 10:37 PM   #35
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
It possibly could but I would never do it.
In my experience, turning down a model I didn't really want helped get me my first choice a lot quicker.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2022, 10:46 PM   #36
adawil2002
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16550 Explorer II
I have never purchased anything I didn't want at an AD in hopes of buying something else.
6284 SS, 16014 SS Jubilee silver stick, 16253 TT Blue Thunderbird, 16550 SS Exp II Cream, bought in 1986, 116400GV Z-blue Milgauss, 79260 Tudor, 116660 DSSD-Blue, 116500LV Daytona White, 116710 BLNR, 326934 Blue Skydweller
adawil2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2022, 10:48 PM   #37
mdx77
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry that's exactly why we are today with these so called AD games,why anyone would buy anything they did not want defeats me.
Exactly.
“This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the BLUE pill - the story ends; you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the RED pill - you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.”

Rolex Submariner 116610LV Hulk | Rolex GMT 16710 Pepsi | Omega Speedmaster “Speedy Tuesday” | Tudor Black Bay 79220R “ETA Rose” | Tudor Pelagos Blue Dial | Rolex Submariner Yellow Gold 116618LB | Rolex Milgauss “Z-Blue” 116400GV
mdx77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2022, 10:48 PM   #38
Bmats
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

You’re down the AD game path now, so nothing to do but wait. Several months from now you’ll hopefully either have this piece and the one you want for the combined amount of buying the YM alone grey (or so) or you’ll still be waiting thinking you wasted time and money on a watch you don’t want.

After they bought this, do they still know the piece you really want? What did they say when you told them?
Bmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2022, 10:59 PM   #39
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmats View Post
months from now you’ll hopefully either have this piece and the one you want for the combined amount of buying the YM alone grey (or so) or you’ll still be waiting thinking you wasted time and money on a watch you don’t want.
Yep. Spending money to get it sooner maybe, when he could have gone grey to spend money and get it sooner definitely.

AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2022, 11:12 PM   #40
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Trade to grey for what you want
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2022, 11:22 PM   #41
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Of all the current OP’s the silver dial is my favourite, but I can’t justify it when I own a silver dial DJ and I can’t be without a date on my watches.

However I wouldn’t have bought anything I don’t want or like to stroke the AD anymore than I’d buy vehicle out the showroom to try and get a bite at a Ltd edition wait list. But there’s plenty who will.

GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2022, 11:27 PM   #42
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopome72 View Post
Only way, and perfect way to buy this model…at retail price at AD.
Let’s stop with considering all Rolex models worth of speculation! With the theoretical presumption that no model should be object of speculation.
Snob all the models we were used to…just to be coherent…against the funny Rolex policy of sale!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk Pro
No the only way is to stop all this AD nonsense, ask yourself this do these so called AD relationship customers, or these so called high rollers VIP customers buy then sell to the grey hoping for profit. Or is it because again according to some on forum, ADs sell out of the back door to the grey market. Thus putting there livelihood and business in jeopardy, or is it simply this Rolex watches are now just ££$$€€ objects flipped and sold to the highest bidder. As today most all greys have plenty of watches like the so called hot watches all at crazy prices. Which the likes of so called social media dictates you must have at any price to take pictures and brag about on these sites.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2022, 11:42 PM   #43
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by tl123 View Post
Hey my dear TRF folks. So here is the thing.

One AD (in NYC) I reached out called me yesterday, offered me an OP41 silver dial. Pondering for a while, I decided to take it for two reason: 1. I love OP, but this is my least favorite dial. 2. This will help me start a relationship with the AD

Got it back, wear it for a few days. Still, not a big fan, cause my goal is getting a Yacht Master 40 Rhodium this year. With that being said, will this OP purchase give me a better change of getting my grail watch, not making a big difference, or even reduce the odd (considering OP is a relatively desirable model)?
I guess it's establishing a relationship and you're now on the customer list; that's a good thing, Not certain how ADs consider sales; I'd guess that any sale is considered a favor by an AD so buying something you're not thrilled with doesn't count for too much. All OPs are hard to get these days because they're really the entry level Rolex, Congratulations on the silver dial.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2022, 11:47 PM   #44
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Exactly Peter

Quote:
Bought Something I Don't Really Enjoy. But Will It Help With My Grail?
And if it does not?
Omega Seamaster SMP300m, Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2022, 11:51 PM   #45
Brny11
"TRF" Member

OP posting that he bought a watch that he doesn’t like with ulterior motives on a forum made up of many traditional collectors. Sounds about right.

Buy a watch because you want it. No formula to building AD relationship other than be likable and don’t buy watches that you do not want.
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2022, 11:54 PM   #46
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Well,you've probably surmised by now this is the wrong place for a thread entitled "Bought something I don't really enjoy."

But, never fear. You've bought a beautiful watch at a great price point, so it's all good.

In my experience, the OP punches way above its weight class. Give it some time and approach it with an open mind, not from the perspective of the hype train.

Who knows, you may find out you really like it. Stranger things have happened.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2022, 12:03 AM   #47
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
Ask your AD. Forum doesn’t know.
Old 20 February 2022, 12:07 AM   #48
Cloud Palms
Banned

I think getting a YM shouldn't be too tough, the OP is the harder watch to get regardless of dial.

But let's say if you wanted a sub or GMT, then getting the OP will make the wait some time longer because OP41 are also quota watches.
Cloud Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2022, 12:41 AM   #49
Know1isgod
"TRF" Member

I guess each AD experience is different. Wanted a DJ 41 blue stick. Turned down first two DJ's. When third call came about an Azurru Blue, I accepted. I told them I also wanted a Wimbledon 41 fluted/jubilee and wouldn't you know it, 90 days later like magic it appeared. Same day, I told them I hoped to trade the Azurru Blue for a YM 40 blue dial or Pepsi. I could have sold for for a small profit, but wanted to signal not a flipper. Admit it sucks to tie up $8k for a few months, but at least when time comes will have that to add to new purchase. Give credit that new Rolexes generally don't lose money.
Know1isgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2022, 12:55 AM   #50
sj24k
"TRF" Member

None of this makes any sense to me. If you want a Yacht Master 40, then go buy a Yacht Master 40. If you don’t want to wait for one at retail, then go to a trusted reseller. It’s not that hard.

Building an AD relationship is really not worth buying sh!t you don’t want or enjoy.

So silly.

sj24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2022, 01:20 AM   #51
seattlewatch
"TRF" Member

The “Rolex Magazine Issue 9” has some great closeups of this reference with the silver dial
seattlewatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2022, 01:23 AM   #52
Me4u2night
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I think the OP 41 is stunning. i don't understand why you purchased it if you didn't like it. You realize this is the reason we're in the type of market we're in today?
Me4u2night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2022, 01:42 AM   #53
arche3
Banned

You can literally walk over to 47th street and get a 40 rhodium. Right now.

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk
arche3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2022, 02:30 AM   #54
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
Quote:

One AD (in NYC) I reached out called me yesterday, offered me an OP41 silver dial. Pondering for a while, I decided to take it for two reason: 1. I love OP, but this is my least favorite dial. 2. This will help me start a relationship with the AD

Got it back, wear it for a few days. Still, not a big fan, cause my goal is getting a Yacht Master 40 Rhodium this year. With that being said, will this OP purchase give me a better change of getting my grail watch, not making a big difference, or even reduce the odd (considering OP is a relatively desirable model)?
You bought it to start your Rolex "Journey." (See the Archie Luxury post elsewhere on TRF.)
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2022, 03:03 AM   #55
rolexjackson
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, GMT, Daytona
Quote:

Why would you ask us? You need to ask the dealer, honesty is always the best policy. Btw if you don’t want the op I’ll take it I think it’s a beautiful ref

rolexjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2022, 03:12 AM   #56
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Wear it for six months or a year and then flip it...no problem and you'll make money.
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2022, 03:18 AM   #57
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Yeah, I do not buy unwanted / unappreciated items. Why would I ever do that?
And if you think your AD will look at you more favorably now - - - well, that is just a matter of luck. He may or may not continue to get you what you really want. Some AD's do, some do not.
Good Luck!

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2022, 03:33 AM   #58
tl123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
I can give you an answer but I'd be guessing. I can also tell you about how ludicrous I think it is to buy something I don't want or like, but I think that's already been covered.

What does the AD say? Only they know, and if you haven't yet asked them straight it might be a good idea to go back, tell them your expectations, listen to their response, and agree something with them.

Yeah I agree it’s a great idea to approach them straightly. Last time I did mention that I’m still waiting for that YM, and the SA said that “lll let you know when it becomes available, wait for my call” stuff. I just didn’t want my SA to feel like this OP41 is treated like a relationship watch by me, because 1) I DO LOVE OP BUT THE DIAL 2) this watch does make money for me if I flip it (but I don’t want to)

tl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2022, 03:52 AM   #59
tl123
"TRF" Member

Bought Something I Don't Really Enjoy. But Will It Help With My Grail?

Quote:

I mean I might exaggerate too much on the title. I don’t hate this ref, it ‘s just not the most ideal OP dial, but it still is a OP, which I will cherish and not going to flip.
I understand where all the disagreement coming from. For most of the old Rolex collectors in this forum, they have the right to feel absurd of such behavior, as five years ago people could literally walk in and bought any ref/model they want and perhaps had their asses kissed. I’m a omega/blancpain collector even before I came to US, so I would also be mad if it is not Rolex but those brands turn into this kinda shit show. But by the time I decided to collect my first Rolex, it is already too late. The entire process of purchasing a Rolex has really become a torturing experience. There are only three ways for me to get the desirable model now:
1. Go grey, pay the premium (stupid and risky)
2. Play the AD game (what I did)
3. Wait for couples years (likely 3+ if you want a professional model)

You can blame thousands of people like me who join this AD stupid game willingly, of course. People like me can blame those flippers who see Rolex as an investment and took most of the stocks. Flippers can all go blame Rolex for not producing enough watches each year to feed the hype.

We can all be cynical, but this is the situation now. Blame the game, not the players.

tl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2022, 03:59 AM   #60
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Blame the game, not the players.

In this case the players created the game and now they are unhappy
Omega Seamaster SMP300m, Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote