The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 March 2022, 09:29 AM   #31
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by brkn View Post
ask DavidSW

They tipically offer less than other greys, but hassle free from the experience of a few friends

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 09:47 AM   #32
NIHO
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwigan View Post
Why not lower your asking price. You can sell today if the price is low enough. I'm sure Bob is doing what he thinks is best for Bob, rather than what suits you.
I never gave an asking price. They just dont want one period.
NIHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 09:49 AM   #33
NIHO
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAAAAlex View Post
I've heard that dealers are getting a lot of fake sell-interest these days from dudes who just get a swell in their pants seeing what someone might pay them for their watch. Maybe they have gotten better at weeding out people who aren't really interested in selling?
Funny you say that. Every time I flirt with selling or trading this piece I change my mind at the end. It is just so awesome, but I keep coming to this point. It is just too big for me I think. I never consider selling my GMT II or SUB. But maybe they realize what I haven't yet, which is that I will never truly be interested in selling.
Old 27 March 2022, 09:51 AM   #34
NIHO
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
Here’s the statement, and they definitely did *not* recommend not to wear expensive jewelry. Just common sense precautions.

https://www.lapdonline.org/newsroom/...ies-nr22081mc/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In a democracy no police will tell you what to do, so technically you are correct. I meant that they are highlighting the dangers of wearing expensive jewelry, something new for LAPD in the many years I have lived in LA.
Old 27 March 2022, 09:52 AM   #35
NIHO
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAZ View Post
I'm glad you posted this thread. Watches are meant to be worn and enjoyed, NOT treated as an investment to be traded around like stock options. Contrary to what any one says, these are NOT liquid assets.
Did you see the NYT article this week no Rolex watches? Reading that you would think these watches are listed on the NYSE
Old 27 March 2022, 09:53 AM   #36
NIHO
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swexlin View Post
I'm waiting on one from my AD, otherwise, I'd make you an offer. GLWS.
I wouldn't do that to you. Just stay on the list, dont pay a penny over MSRP, it aint worth it IMHO
Old 27 March 2022, 09:55 AM   #37
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
I don’t see it because it isn’t there. That’s the internet (and society) these days. Make stuff up and double down when called on it.

You must be kidding. And I consider your comment insulting. I did not “make up” the quote.

You shared the link in post 18 - did you not read the article you cited? For the avoidance of doubt, here is a screen shot from the article you linked:

Look at the first bullet. That is what I quoted.

Being new here means you may get a pass from the Mods - but I’d avoid insulting members.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 10:02 AM   #38
Tensai
"TRF" Member

Watch: all the good ones
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAAAAlex View Post
I've heard that dealers are getting a lot of fake sell-interest these days from dudes who just get a swell in their pants seeing what someone might pay them for their watch. Maybe they have gotten better at weeding out people who aren't really interested in selling?
Exactly. Spot on.
Tensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 10:07 AM   #39
Ensign
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSport View Post
So do they sit on them and just release a couple for sale at a time...?
Or, greys are stocked up, and cashed out.

Dangerous place to be in financially.
Ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 10:10 AM   #40
arche3
Banned

Selling watches is like digging ditches. Manual labor.

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk
arche3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 10:16 AM   #41
siempreko
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sometimes
Several economists are forecasting that the economy is going to crash in the not too distant future. They are being smart, ensuring that they are not holding too much inventory when the poop hits the fan.

siempreko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 10:17 AM   #42
Malum
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 D-Blue
Large greys can sit on their watches and wait for the right person to come in or see on the web the watch they must have and grossly overpay. These big guys are posting prices that are cringe worthy . Some people don’t care how much they pay for a hot watch but a much larger percentage can’t bring themselves to get rooked .
Malum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 10:26 AM   #43
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

BOB's said no thanks to SD43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
You must be kidding. And I consider your comment insulting. I did not “make up” the quote.

You shared the link in post 18 - did you not read the article you cited? For the avoidance of doubt, here is a screen shot from the article you linked:

Look at the first bullet. That is what I quoted.

Being new here means you may get a pass from the Mods - but I’d avoid insulting members.

I’m not insulting you, but where in that post does it say to not wear jewelry? Because what you quoted doesn’t say that. It simply doesn’t. You might be inferring that, but unless there is some invisible ink type of thing, what you’re saying is not in that text.

OP said that “LA police announced recommendation not to wear expensive jewelry due to high thefts.”

They didn’t recommend this. In fact they made a number of explicit recommendations.

-Travel in groups in well lit areas
-Be aware of your surroundings
-Take a different route home from shopping
- if you’re approached give up your property

Like I said, nowhere is it said “don’t wear your watch” or even “consider not wearing your watch”

You can infer that, but it’s simply wrong to say that’s what they said.

If the mods decide to sanction me for saying that, so be it, but it’s not wrong and I didn’t call you names.

And I’m not trying to be pedantic. There is a enormous difference between the LAPD saying jewelry thefts are up and to take reasonable precautions and the LAPD making an official recommendation not to wear jewelry.
bluestreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 10:37 AM   #44
NIHO
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebb90 View Post
If they offered you top dollar, doubt you’d be complaining about “the madness”.

You can do your part to stop the madness and sell to a friend for what you paid. Or sell to the highest bidder and stop whining.
You are missing my point, which is that they have too much inventory and don’t want mine, and yet they are selling theirs for $19k. It makes no sense when DSW has a better one for $16.5k. Why wouldn’t they try to move their inventory for a reasonable market price?
Old 27 March 2022, 10:44 AM   #45
calebb90
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIHO View Post
You are missing my point, which is that they have too much inventory and don’t want mine, and yet they are selling theirs for $19k. It makes no sense when DSW has a better one for $16.5k. Why wouldn’t they try to move their inventory for a reasonable market price?

Bob’s sells $100M+ per year in pre-owned Rolexes, I’m sure they have the data to back their decisions. Recommend you don’t lose sleep over it.

Maybe DSW will buy your watch? Good luck with sale.
calebb90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 10:50 AM   #46
rolexpure
Banned

The gray dealers will NOT stock an item that they dont need to.

Why put liquid money into this piece when they can call someone on their chats and have it in their office the same day?

Unless you give them an excellent deal they dont buy it outright from you. ALOT of gray dealers work this way.

Consign it to someone to get the most money - otherwise try sell it yourself. That in itself comes with alot of hassle and risk.
rolexpure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 10:51 AM   #47
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Carl F. Buc
BOB's said no thanks to SD43

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIHO View Post

Because Bob’s cost basis on this inventory is high. They probably paid a premium for the SD43 at the top of the market. Add in they are a high cost store and they need to charge 25% over what they paid.

Nice location, staff of 12+, very clean, etc. It’s an expensive operation.

I sold them a Sub at a good price years ago. They will try to purchase at the lowest cost and sell at the highest price every time.

Their website is the best in the industry.
seabreeze60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 11:06 AM   #48
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Lol not surprised… Bobs turned down my 116500 about a year ago. Never sold and probably never will but did consider it.

Old 27 March 2022, 11:07 AM   #49
sirC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your Six
I realize TRF has several trustworthy sellers but I have not had a problem with "Bob" on the buying end.

I bought a SD 43 from Bob's a few years ago. I wanted a MK1 and they had it. Unworn with most of the stickers. I bought it about the same time things started getting really crazy. I paid a few hundred over retail. After no sales tax it ended up being about the same (retail) as doing a deal local. I pretty much wear it every day. I bought my wife a Date Just MOP from Bob's as well.

Both of those purchases were received as represented.

However-
I would never EVER consider selling them a watch I want to unload. They seem to low ball a bit after they "inspect".

I do find it curios they said "not interested". Their Website showed only 2 available last time I checked, and those prices are nuts. Maybe the poster who said S is about to HTF on the economy side is correct and Bob has a crystal ball.

My 2c.............
sirC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 11:26 AM   #50
WilsdorfNDavis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAZ View Post
Contrary to what any one says, these are NOT liquid assets.

Umm, Rolex watches are a perfect example of a liquid asset...

A liquid asset is an asset other than cash that can be quickly converted into cash at a reasonable price. In other words, a liquid asset can be quickly sold on the market without a significant loss of its value.

In fact, not only can one be sold without a significant loss, one can be sold for a reasonable profit, maybe even a significant profit.
WilsdorfNDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 11:27 AM   #51
GBD
"TRF" Member

Have sold to several trusted sellers, and Bob's always had the lowest offers, while DSW always had the highest offers. YMMV depending on the model, though.
GBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 11:31 AM   #52
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

The thing is these Grays all seem pretty stocked and I don't see watches moving very fast like before. It's hard when they are in too rich on a lot of this inventory. A SD43 isn't for everyone like a sub. They want easy money. You'd think they would just offer a really low price.
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 11:36 AM   #53
edisonstar23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Out View Post
The markets are on a pendulum. This hard swing up will create and equally hard swing down. Houses, Cars, Luxury items.. Everything.

So don't feel bad when you get smoked paying 2-3x MSRP for your Rolex via grey. Your neighbor likely paid 5-15k OVER msrp for his new Kia. The streets will run red.

Absolutely! What a time to be a consumer! Everything that goes up must come down. The whole idea that the market will remain like this in an upward trajectory is nonsense. People that were drawn to this “investment” vehicle will soon realize that it’s not such a rapid appreciating asset and a lot had to do with hype. I foresee these people selling quick and flooding the market with Rolex before their “investment” tanks. I honestly can’t wait for it to happen, so we can have some normality.

edisonstar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 11:38 AM   #54
edisonstar23
"TRF" Member

Seems like the market is cooling off too, I had a close friend of mine trying to sell his LV and 3 sellers lowballed him and 2 said they are not stocking Rolexes for now:

edisonstar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 11:47 AM   #55
Unframed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’m not insulting you, but where in that post does it say to not wear jewelry? Because what you quoted doesn’t say that. It simply doesn’t. You might be inferring that, but unless there is some invisible ink type of thing, what you’re saying is not in that text.

OP said that “LA police announced recommendation not to wear expensive jewelry due to high thefts.”

They didn’t recommend this. In fact they made a number of explicit recommendations.

-Travel in groups in well lit areas
-Be aware of your surroundings
-Take a different route home from shopping
- if you’re approached give up your property

Like I said, nowhere is it said “don’t wear your watch” or even “consider not wearing your watch”

You can infer that, but it’s simply wrong to say that’s what they said.

If the mods decide to sanction me for saying that, so be it, but it’s not wrong and I didn’t call you names.

And I’m not trying to be pedantic. There is a enormous difference between the LAPD saying jewelry thefts are up and to take reasonable precautions and the LAPD making an official recommendation not to wear jewelry.
You're not wrong, but I still wouldn't wear a Rolex out in LA. I lived there for a long time and the situation has changed. I felt safe enough walking around DTLA with a Leica until around 2018. Now I wouldn't carry a nice camera or wear a Rolex anywhere in LA county. They went after a guy in broad daylight, middle of the street in Bev Hills, no fear of witnesses.
Unframed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 11:59 AM   #56
Ensign
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unframed View Post
You're not wrong, but I still wouldn't wear a Rolex out in LA. I lived there for a long time and the situation has changed. I felt safe enough walking around DTLA with a Leica until around 2018. Now I wouldn't carry a nice camera or wear a Rolex anywhere in LA county. They went after a guy in broad daylight, middle of the street in Bev Hills, no fear of witnesses.
I live in LA and I think the OP must have seen the local news. Stories about folks being followed home and robbed of their Rolex abound. The news deals in hyperbole, but we do have a district attorney who is considered by many to be soft on crime. I usually am in long sleeves so my watch is tucked away. But there are lots of characters who wear a blingy Rolex, eat at fancy restaurants, and drive home in flashy cars. They are the ones who get followed home and get pistol whipped.
Ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 12:53 PM   #57
Bill2e
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
I don’t think any of these watches should ever be seen as an investment. No one knows where the market will go with them. Especially with the SD43, they are readily available as most want submariners, always has been like this. Try crown and caliber, might have a shot there.

The SD43 is such a better watch in all aspects.

It’s a Submariner for adults.

Don’t care what anyone else thinks. I have no plans to sell mine and it fits me so much better than a sub.

To each it’s own. Glad we have choices.
Bill2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 12:55 PM   #58
Bill2e
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unframed View Post
Also no fear of a law abiding citizen having the ability to protect themselves. SMH.
Bill2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 12:57 PM   #59
johntictoc
"TRF" Member

bobs raised a ton of PE money and bought 10s of 1,000s of watches over the past two years. do the math
johntictoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 01:02 PM   #60
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill2e View Post
The SD43 is such a better watch in all aspects.

It’s a Submariner for adults.

Don’t care what anyone else thinks. I have no plans to sell mine and it fits me so much better than a sub.

To each it’s own. Glad we have choices.
Yeah I am not saying one is better than the other. The SD I am sure beats the sub in many ways. Just taking about demand and resale.