The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 May 2022, 04:44 AM   #31
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex Rolex View Post
This works.

Also, buying other things in their store speeds up the process.
Yes - nothing crazy, but things you might have bought anyways like gifts.
Old 11 May 2022, 05:34 AM   #32
Time Out
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbeFroman View Post
Lots of the riffraff clogging the AD wait lists will be passing on references given this market correction.
Riff Raff plus actual buyers who are taking a bath in the markets who suddenly don't want to celebrate with a new Rolex at any price.

A friend of mine who lost a ton on stocks and crypto got the call for a Cermit today and passed. My brother also got the call today for an SD43 and is taking delivery in the next couple hours.
Time Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 05:49 AM   #33
DBCooper07
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
3.5 years for me, I live in a distant place to an AD and I stop by and buy stuff now and again.. I still hope.. But I'm starting to give up. Go-go Homage!
DBCooper07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 05:57 AM   #34
Tensai
"TRF" Member

Watch: all the good ones
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauricecox View Post
Hi,

I'm new here - and to the luxury market. I currently have placed myself on the waiting list for 2 watches I would like, its been 6 months and I haven't gotten any update yet.

Is there a way to build relationship to get the items faster?

Regards,
Be patient and you will get one. In the meantime, go to Forty Carrots (in Short Hills Mall), and get some ice cream. It will make you feel better :)
Tensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 06:11 AM   #35
JSol1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
100% follow-up. I would email the person you are working with to ask to come in for a follow-up appointment. Get there and tell them what you are about to celebrate (birthday, anniversary, new job, etc) so looking forward to celebrating with your new watch. You might be surprised and get one. Show your commitment and be persistent without being annoying. Good luck and keep us updated!
Absolutely agree with this…many claim it’s impossible or you need to buy stuff you don’t want but my experience has been it’s truly about building a sincere relationship. At least that’s been my experience…good luck…
JSol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 06:16 AM   #36
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Hi,

I'm new here - and to the luxury market. I currently have placed myself on the waiting list for 2 watches I would like, its been 6 months and I haven't gotten any update yet.

Regards,

Yes buy the shyte they can't sell, not the things EVERYONE wants. You are dreaming if you think your name will ever come up on a list. Why should they give to you when good customers who have bought before are asking too? Sorry, but I'm just trying to save you some grief. Either pay up for a second hand model, or buy an Omeega
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 06:35 AM   #37
Monty22
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126715CHNR, 116400
Yawn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Monty22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 06:41 AM   #38
hothothaven
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II, Pam 685
Or, buy precious metals. My AD said when I was inquiring about the daytona waitlist that it was "indefinite." Then I said I meant in gold (for my next major birthday) and was told he could get me one whenever I wanted.

Gold from an AD for less than SS from the grey market seems like a good deal to me.
hothothaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 06:42 AM   #39
horohollis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Orient Ray Diver
Stop in about every month or two. Meet more folks including their managers. Buy something like jewelry they need to move. If you need a gift, think of them first. If they are busy when you go in, browse. Take something to say thanks for chatting like coffee or chocolate or both. If you can make a good impression, it’s likely they’ll chose you for a purchase opportunity.
horohollis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 07:06 AM   #40
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
i would love to.. but been to 4 and NONE is available! haha
Watchmaker said "stuff". Stuff means all the other non-Rolex goods sitting in the store ready for purchase. Perhaps, you could buy a full set of china or that beautiful diamond trinket for your special person.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 07:44 AM   #41
Nap
Banned

Watch: 116710BLNR,116520.
I guess you would still have more time to wait, six months isn't yet a much time, build your patience you would look back and appreciate it.
Nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 07:52 AM   #42
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by horohollis View Post
Stop in about every month or two. Meet more folks including their managers. Buy something like jewelry they need to move. If you need a gift, think of them first. If they are busy when you go in, browse. Take something to say thanks for chatting like coffee or chocolate or both. If you can make a good impression, it’s likely they’ll chose you for a purchase opportunity.
Too much brown-nosing there I think. You'll just end up getting "friend-zoned"
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 08:04 AM   #43
horohollis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Orient Ray Diver
Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
Too much brown-nosing there I think. You'll just end up getting "friend-zoned"

It can go either way. If you’re a brown noser, well, they’ll see it. If your a genuine individual of impeccable taste and timing, it’ll work out just fine.

horohollis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 09:22 AM   #44
waterking
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster II
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothothaven View Post
Or, buy precious metals. My AD said when I was inquiring about the daytona waitlist that it was "indefinite." Then I said I meant in gold (for my next major birthday) and was told he could get me one whenever I wanted.

Gold from an AD for less than SS from the grey market seems like a good deal to me.
Please keep us updated on this as none of the AD's I visit have any available in precious metals that aren't already set with a buyer.
waterking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 09:25 AM   #45
CHRONOLEX
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterking View Post
please keep us updated on this as none of the ad's i visit have any available in precious metals that aren't already set with a buyer.
+1
CHRONOLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 09:26 AM   #46
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
What references are you looking for? There is a very big difference if you are seeking a DJ36 versus a stainless Daytona C or a BLRO, for example.

If the references you seek are extremely high demand, the AD has a stronger financial incentive to sell it to someone else if you have not and are not buying other things from them, as long as they have those buyers also wanting the same reference as you.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 10:01 AM   #47
dannyp
Banned

Depends on the watches. If it’s a Panda a Pepsi, you’ve picked the wrong watches. If it’s a couple of 36mm DJs you’ve picked the wrong dealer.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 10:15 AM   #48
47Fountain
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub & Deep sea
Quote:
Hi,

Regards,
Your time & dignity are worth more than groveling to an AD for the "gift" of being able to buy from them. Go grey, get what you want now & enjoy your watches. Easy Peasey.
47Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 10:27 AM   #49
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Hi,

Regards,
You build an AD relationship the same way you build any other, with an investment of time, effort and attention. Be personable, make yourself notable, invest in the AD, create a reason for them to invest in you. Or you can just keep hoping.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 10:53 AM   #50
rolex16
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47Fountain View Post
Your time & dignity are worth more than groveling to an AD for the "gift" of being able to buy from them. Go grey, get what you want now & enjoy your watches. Easy Peasey.
But are they worth tens of thousands more? That is the question. OP will have to decide with eyes open. To me, they are not. Watches are nice to haves. I can wait and if I never get it, so be it.
rolex16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 11:42 AM   #51
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
If you’re groveling you’re doing it wrong.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 01:37 PM   #52
47Fountain
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub & Deep sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolex16 View Post
But are they worth tens of thousands more? That is the question. OP will have to decide with eyes open. To me, they are not. Watches are nice to haves. I can wait and if I never get it, so be it.
Both of mine, 750.00 over list for the 114060 & 500.00 over list for the Deep Sea. I'd never pay "thousands" over list for anything. That would be an amazingly ignorant financial decision. You have to do your due diligence & seek a deal. Hell, the hunt is the greatest part of watch buying.
47Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 01:45 PM   #53
Slambonie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
you're weird dude
Slambonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 04:18 PM   #54
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Hi,

Regards,
Request they sell you the next two tone ladies diamond datejust.
That will help your case
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 08:37 PM   #55
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Welcome to TRF. And good luck.
Old 11 May 2022, 09:17 PM   #56
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Short answer: No.

Long answer: Ask the dealer. Only they know what it will take.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 10:01 PM   #57
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

1. You may have to buy stuff you really don’t want from the AD. What a waste of money!
2. Keep going into the store and talk with the manager and sales person you are dealing with. The problem with this strategy is that there is huge turnover in these stores. Every time I go into Tourneau in White Plains, NY there are different faces.
3. OP, there is some sentiment on this forum that things are changing. With the current economic conditions, people will spend less on frivolous items and more will be available to little guys like you and me. Lots of threads on the forum, not going to go into more detail here.
4. If you still cannot wait, then go grey. You can have what you want tomorrow as long as your are willing to pay a premium for this luxury. This why I have not bought a Rolex watch recently. Personally, I refuse to pay over MSRP for a watch. Others disagree, and it is there money to do what they want with it.
5. There are other beautiful watch brands out there. In the last 2 years I have bought Cartier and Breitling. Both can be had for discounts on this and other forums. Ah, the good old days.
Good luck.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 10:25 PM   #58
dwaine99
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSol1 View Post
Absolutely agree with this…many claim it’s impossible or you need to buy stuff you don’t want but my experience has been it’s truly about building a sincere relationship. At least that’s been my experience…good luck…
How is paying $10K above MSRP to a grey seller not giving up your dignity?

Building a relationship worked for us. A few weeks after our first visit, the SA called and offered a 50% discount on a ring my wife liked. We made the $1200 purchase for my wife. Three days later, the SA called and offered me a Sub LV. We didn't buy stuff we didn't want.... We didn't give up our dignity....My wife got what she wanted and I got a Sub in less than a month from building a relationship. I've since been offered a Sub TT and an Explorer II.

Now we stop in every couple of weeks without purchasing while waiting on another Sub/GMT...I will continue our relationship buying anniversary or birthday gifts for my wife from this SA...

Maybe losing your dignity is better defined as the moment you hand over $10k above MSRP to a grey dealer....
Old 11 May 2022, 10:26 PM   #59
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
It can go either way. If you’re a brown noser, well, they’ll see it. If your a genuine individual of impeccable taste and timing, it’ll work out just fine.

Impeccable taste & timing - then they'll sell me a watch?

It's a transaction. I hand over 10k, they hand over the watch. Then we're done. If they have more watches, I'll come back with another 10k.

As far as I'm concerned my AD 'relationships' have turned sour years ago. I'll become old & grey waiting for the right 'timing'
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 11:53 PM   #60
stevestil
"TRF" Member

Rolex Waiting List.. impatient

lol if you’re impatient after 6 months i suggest you buckle up… many people think you need to buy everything on the showroom floor and that will speed you up. it is true that you need to have a bit of a purchase history but i have found that building a friendship with my Sales associate and the manager has gone much further than money i’ve spent.

your experience may vary.

6 months even for someone with a purchase history is not a long time. i waited almost 6 months for my pepsi on oyster and i have a very good relationship with my AD. while it is true that most AD’s have watches in the back, they don’t have multiples of every model and maybe none of the watches you may want.

being patient will get your further than stomping your feet and saying why isn’t my watch here yet. that is a sure way to never get the watch you want from your AD.

stevestil is offline   Reply With Quote