The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 April 2023, 08:08 AM   #31
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

This is an easy one. Go to your favorite secondary watch seller and look at the price they are selling. You have to subtract a few thousand or more to estimate the price they are buying at.

I looked at the Yacht-Master 42 in white gold. Retail 30.5k USD. Secondary seller is 31.5k which means that secondary seller is buying that watch for under retail..

It is a very simple thing. When Rolex watches are readily available and cannot be flipped for profit, the demand drops. Many people don't want these watches to wear. They want them to sell.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 08:18 AM   #32
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
I don’t have an AD, I don’t want a relationship and I don’t want anymore Rolexes until I see them in the window to buy.

This time will come.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 08:18 AM   #33
cinli
2024 Pledge Member

The watches listed are definitely going to take a long while to get sold. It’s hard when no one is interested in buying.
cinli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 08:32 AM   #34
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I will take a Sub pm with black dial.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 08:33 AM   #35
creepy neville
"TRF" Member

Watch: 136660 Deepsea
Holy ….

The SS Sea-Dweller and DSSD (Black Face) are my ‘go to’ watches !

Although I have owned the PM diver versions (the Bluesy) - I much prefer the ‘cleaner’ appearance of the black dials.

‘Can’t wait for the call re:the DSC that’s coming my way !!
creepy neville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 10:29 AM   #36
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
A watch going below retail doesn't equate to availability at the AD. As long as those Daytona, Sub, GMT and certain DJ and PM models go above retail, these less popular models will be used as leverage to get the more popular ones.

Also, if I'm the AD I won't tell customers I have difficulty selling 5-6 models. What's the upside for that? A professional AD will advise the customer "Sorry Mr xx, we currently have no Daytona in stock and there is currently a long waiting list for it. There are however a couple of models that are arriving in the next shipment that you can consider if you are interested?"
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 10:30 AM   #37
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
Four watches I wouldn't buy at 50% off.
Concurred
Old 13 April 2023, 10:51 AM   #38
Guppydriver
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
I will take a Sub pm with black dial.
I've been liking the TT Blue and Gold "Bluesy" more and more. It still may be a bit blingy for me.

I think what has piqued my interest a bit is that this model is essentially available for retail on the gray market once the absence of sales tax is considered.
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 11:37 AM   #39
superspectral
"TRF" Member

Having to "dig" through the lists is an interesting turn of phrase. It suggests that ADs still want to keep these in the back safe and try to sell a bundle to someone on a list; rather than just putting the piece out in the showroom yet. Once AD's are forced to put these models out on display, I wonder if it will trigger another round of pre-owned price correction? I think that is what the dealers are worried about-the end of bundling.
superspectral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 12:43 PM   #40
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
Sure, ask for one of those, you won’t get them anyway as someone ahead of you will
get.

Who cares anyway, buy what you like and good luck with getting what you like.

move on
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 02:02 PM   #41
newonos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notepad12 View Post
I doubt Rolex will allow watches to be sold at a discount by AD's.

I might be wrong, though

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Two years ago my AD sold me a SS ladies DJ for 33% off retail. It was in the case, hadn't moved. Wife's name on W card. AD's can and will discount, but only they know when and why.
newonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 03:28 PM   #42
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
Two years ago I got two PM watches at my AD with discount that amounted to the tax equivalent by me asking and ok’d by mgr.

I wouldn’t dare to ask for a discount now. I would know the answer. But gotten a couple of leather straps for Cartier gratis or free battery on a couple of quartz’s watches.
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 03:37 PM   #43
Rico_Brasole
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
Those watches are "relationship builders." You ask for the SS version, you're offered the TT version. (Soon to be added: Ti YM42)

I wonder. If these are not moving does that mean people don’t care to build relationships anymore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rico_Brasole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 03:52 PM   #44
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

Those are historically softer references, so not a surprise....but this also depends one the location of the dealer...and if they are a chain...etc.

The part about the movement is hard to believe. The vast majority of the general public have no idea about Rolex movements...
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 04:44 PM   #45
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I doubt Rolex will allow watches to be sold at a discount by AD's.
It doesn't work like that in the UK. Once the AD has paid Rolex for the watch they could give them away if they wanted to. What they can't do (in the UK) is price gouge a brand new, unregistered watch to a retail customer and this is enforceable.

Sure they give discounts. You would have been hard pushed to get one over the past two years and they won't be too thick on the ground now, but it happens. It happened more in the past and it will likely happen more in the future.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 05:19 PM   #46
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
These 3235 issues, are they here in the room with us?

Because I really really really REALLY doubt anyone is getting offered a Rolex and think “oh no the 3235 might have some issues I’d rather not buy anything”.
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 06:10 PM   #47
RichardBartlett
"TRF" Member

The old "they hide them in the back" thing has resurfaced in this thread
Not questioning it but if Rolex send out watches which stay in a safe till deemed ready for sale I guess that means there is a whatever delay between it arriving at the AD and the buyer being registered with Rolex.
Surely given demand, Rolex must know AD,s are playing games with stock.if so, I guess this means they are complicit in maintaining demand above supply. Fair enough it's their ball etc

Secondly if true etc in that case do AD,s have to buy upfront and are so rich they can hold stock or are watches delivered on a paid when paid basis?
RichardBartlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 07:03 PM   #48
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrimontgomery View Post
These 3235 issues, are they here in the room with us?

Because I really really really REALLY doubt anyone is getting offered a Rolex and think “oh no the 3235 might have some issues I’d rather not buy anything”.
Some forum members have sold their problematic 3235 watches after several visits to the RSC and are not buying until there's a "permanent fix".
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 07:16 PM   #49
rockysw
"TRF" Member

well its believable especially given there is no incentive for AD to lie for this.

I have also heard similar things but not so openly. Just a passing comment about being stuck with expensive inventory.
rockysw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 08:16 PM   #50
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
A watch going below retail doesn't equate to availability at the AD. As long as those Daytona, Sub, GMT and certain DJ and PM models go above retail, these less popular models will be used as leverage to get the more popular ones.

Also, if I'm the AD I won't tell customers I have difficulty selling 5-6 models. What's the upside for that? A professional AD will advise the customer "Sorry Mr xx, we currently have no Daytona in stock and there is currently a long waiting list for it. There are however a couple of models that are arriving in the next shipment that you can consider if you are interested?"
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 09:59 PM   #51
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Another 'My AD said' thread

Quote:
Take with a pinch of salt. But my AD said that they are struggling to sell certain SS, TT and PM watches and that they are having to 'dig' through the lists to find a buyer.

A list of models they are struggling to sell:

TT and SS Sea-Dweller
PM Yatchmaster 2
PM Yellow gold Sub (black dial)
TT Yatchmaster
TT Explorer 1

That is by no means the whole list, just some models picked off the top of the mind.

The main reason for this is that they are now selling for less than list price on the grey market and because of this 'most people have lost interest'.

And that the 3235 movement issues have been putting doubt and caution into minds of a small proportion of buyers.

One method of avoiding watches in cases is that they are offering models to people who have registered interest in other models but not specifically for the watch they are trying to sell.

Another being that they are being used to bait people into 'building relationships' by offering the low demand sports models as exhibition models first then following them up with the 'its for sale' call some time after.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

On my local Rolex AD (Kury at Plaza Las Americas Mall, only Rolex AD in Puerto Rico) almost 100% is display models, only a couple of lady DJ’s available so not even those models available. They recently went from bigger mostly empty displays:

To a smaller mostly exhibition only display full of exhibition only watches:

So visually looks better, but in reality still the same lack of pieces to sell! :banghead;

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 10:06 PM   #52
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardBartlett View Post
Secondly if true etc in that case do AD,s have to buy upfront and are so rich they can hold stock or are watches delivered on a paid when paid basis?
The watches are bought. ADs may be rich but it's all relative. It's also about how good and cheap their credit lines are. Of course they will keep a few tucked away if there is no urgent need to realise the MSRP. The MSRP will never go down so it's collateral. My wife has benefited from this. I'm sure many customers have.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 11:10 PM   #53
Reikolexguy
"TRF" Member

Yacht masters have traditionally been a slow mover.

That being said, I recently tried the SS, TT & PM versions on and I’ve to say they’re the most comfortable professional series Rolex that I’ve worn.

The case design sits very well on the wrist, particularly the PM OF yacht master.

In the grey market, the models with the older 31xx movements can be had for a couple of G off current MSRP. It’s pretty tempting..

Reikolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2023, 07:18 AM   #54
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I was at a Rolex AD today to drop a VC for some warranty work.

They had a few exhibition models: TT Exp 36, TT DJ36s, TT Sub LN, TT SD43 twice, Deepsea black dial.

I asked if anything was available for sale, the answer was no. Then I asked if they had a mint SS DJ41 they could show me. Answer was no. Finally asked if I could see and try a TT SD43 on. The SA reluctantly agreed and brought a Sub TT by mistake. I played dumb and tried it on. Told him it's the SD43 I was interested in seeing. Then he apologetically brought it.

I was pleasantly surprised, but not wowed enough to register interest. I own the SS SD43 and the TT blue Sub already. It was very obvious the SA didn't want to talk Rolex much.

I was suggested to buy some jewelery for my wife's incoming birthday. No explicit disclosure as to a possible bundle with a Rolex piece. Not a game I'll be willing to play anyway, but I was curious to hear him talk.

All in all, not a very exciting Rolex experience. I had zero thrills. Felt so uneventful. Meh. I'm only interested in picking up my VC from them when back from Richmont. Couldn't care less about anything else.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2023, 07:42 AM   #55
Bobcat Sig
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II, Exp Polar
I get the TT models, but not the SD43 in SS. Perhaps I'm biased because I own one, but I'm surprised to see that. Then again, that was in the UK, so perhaps preferences differs.
Bobcat Sig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2023, 05:14 PM   #56
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
Some forum members have sold their problematic 3235 watches after several visits to the RSC and are not buying until there's a "permanent fix".
Ad going through the list.

Hey forum member, this is your AD. Would you like this 126610LV? No? Ok bye.

1 minute later:
Hello mister client, this is your AD. Would you like this 126610LV! Yes? Good see you tomorrow.
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2023, 06:32 PM   #57
Watchguynyc8300
"TRF" Member

Been offered SD43, bunch of two tones and OF Daytonas. None were the variants I wanted. Stock is improving and demand is falling in secondary market for a lot of models. Once those models see 30% in secondary markets if they do, there will be much more Rolex availability.

It’s happening and a lot of greys are sitting on hung inventory. They can’t do anything about mr market, and the more aggressive ones that leveraged to the hilt will lose money if a downturn happens quickly…
Watchguynyc8300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2023, 07:30 PM   #58
Steve Epps
"TRF" Member

Rolex is not the horological boss anymore.
Steve Epps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2023, 10:34 PM   #59
Sprta
"TRF" Member

Difficult to sell low demand watches stored in some safe. If nothing else having watches on display will certainly improve customer traffic. Kind of makes you wonder why they even have display cases.
Sprta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2023, 10:48 PM   #60
Rico_Brasole
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchguynyc8300 View Post
Been offered SD43, bunch of two tones and OF Daytonas. None were the variants I wanted. Stock is improving and demand is falling in secondary market for a lot of models. Once those models see 30% in secondary markets if they do, there will be much more Rolex availability.

It’s happening and a lot of greys are sitting on hung inventory. They can’t do anything about mr market, and the more aggressive ones that leveraged to the hilt will lose money if a downturn happens quickly…

Exactly. This doesn’t look like high demand to me. Im sure it’ll be bumped a few more times over the next few weeks and then marked as SOLD and traded to a fellow grey dealer

Or maybe even marked as SOLD and relisted in a few months on the guise of a different watch. Wouldn’t put anything past these greys. They need the fake hype to persist

Rico_Brasole is offline   Reply With Quote