The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 27 July 2023, 04:35 AM   #31
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post
You could write a program that handles allocations based on this "process" in a matter of days.
With an automated process designed to optimize APs future revenue, there is zero chance any of his desired pieces would go to OP, given the scenario presented, or that the overall number of disappointed would-be customers would be reduced (or that I would have been allocated the APs I have).
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 05:28 AM   #32
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
With an automated process designed to optimize APs future revenue, there is zero chance any of his desired pieces would go to OP, given the scenario presented, or that the overall number of disappointed would-be customers would be reduced (or that I would have been allocated the APs I have).
OK. There is a 0% chance any of the desired pieces are going to the OP in the current world. So, no change there.

The program does not seek to reduce disappointment. It simply tells you where you are at and when you can expect an allocation of watches you've stated interest in, based on the algorithm.

The algorithm will prioritize past expenditures and will utilize AI to predict who is truly deserving.

I am just having a little bit of fun...but honestly I don't see how this is worse than having to deal with ADs.
Old 27 July 2023, 07:53 AM   #33
Razorsedge1
"TRF" Member

Not my first choice but there are worse options than green ROC.
Razorsedge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 08:10 AM   #34
HMHM
"TRF" Member

I think AP itself make great watches, but the constant pushing of CODE to “diversify collection”, the blurring of lines between being strict with flippers and having their greatest collector dabbling in grey market itself and also the fact that most of AP’s greatest hits are essentially RO meant that this is the end of the road for me with AP. I have sold my AP and have make peace with the brand. Also turned down a piece SS ROC this year. Happy for those that continue to enjoy AP but I don’t think it’s something that I intend to pursue anymore going forward.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 10:29 AM   #35
crispyness87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
I think AP itself make great watches, but the constant pushing of CODE to “diversify collection”, the blurring of lines between being strict with flippers and having their greatest collector dabbling in grey market itself and also the fact that most of AP’s greatest hits are essentially RO meant that this is the end of the road for me with AP. I have sold my AP and have make peace with the brand. Also turned down a piece SS ROC this year. Happy for those that continue to enjoy AP but I don’t think it’s something that I intend to pursue anymore going forward.
Sad to hear. Interesting in hearing from you which other brands you think run the ship better?
crispyness87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 11:16 AM   #36
NTCP8
"TRF" Member

AP runs its ship definitely better than PP, at least here in HK. I'm just a small client, however they do call me often, but not for pieces that are on my 'Wish List', besides the 15510 OR, which I bought. I told them I'm only interested in three handers, so don't tell me to buy a chrono. If I want to buy a chrono, the CE version has my preference, but seems I'm not 'important' enough.

Do I want to talk with the Boutique Manager to buy a 70-80k watch, hmm not really. Don't really see the point of that, either they want to sell a watch that's on my list, or they don't. We are talking about luxury watches, not going to suck d*&k for a watch.
NTCP8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 11:32 AM   #37
Gandor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTCP8 View Post
AP runs its ship definitely better than PP, at least here in HK. I'm just a small client, however they do call me often, but not for pieces that are on my 'Wish List', besides the 15510 OR, which I bought. I told them I'm only interested in three handers, so don't tell me to buy a chrono. If I want to buy a chrono, the CE version has my preference, but seems I'm not 'important' enough.

Do I want to talk with the Boutique Manager to buy a 70-80k watch, hmm not really. Don't really see the point of that, either they want to sell a watch that's on my list, or they don't. We are talking about luxury watches, not going to suck d*&k for a watch.
mfw having a conversation about my collection plans is equivalent to sucking d*&k
Gandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 12:58 PM   #38
Marinapark
Banned

Quote:

Well, as you say, you are just not important enough. And judging by your posts here, also not the most pleasant to deal with. The “sacrifice” they are asking you to make to diversify the collection, is to buy a green 26240ST. A grail piece to many other collectors. Forget the 26240CE, that’s reserved for VVIPs and you are far away from that status with your current purchase history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Marinapark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 01:00 PM   #39
Marinapark
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandor View Post
mfw having a conversation about my collection plans is equivalent to sucking d*&k

I have never heard someone be so disappointed to be offered the green chrono lol.

Marinapark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 01:29 PM   #40
NTCP8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinapark View Post
Well, as you say, you are just not important enough. And judging by your posts here, also not the most pleasant to deal with. The “sacrifice” they are asking you to make to diversify the collection, is to buy a green 26240ST. A grail piece to many other collectors. Forget the 26240CE, that’s reserved for VVIPs and you are far away from that status with your current purchase history.

Everyone has a different taste and style. Not that difficult to understand, right. Maybe you like watches that everyone likes, doesn't mean I follow the crowd...

I'm very pleasant to deal with, at least I don't hear my clients complaining ;)
Old 27 July 2023, 02:10 PM   #41
Reign
"TRF" Member

I think you’re better off moving on from AP and finding a brand that has a deep portfolio of three handers that are willing to sell them to you.

AP, Patek, RM, Hermes, Ferrari - they’re all the same, you either love the catalogue and collect it or you just don’t bother.

Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 03:00 PM   #42
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think AP itself make great watches, but the constant pushing of CODE to “diversify collection”....
Except they were "pushing" a green dial ROC, which carries a 100% premium on the secondary market. Hard to construe that as AP mistreating OP.

Narrowing one's possible purchases to three of the most popular models out of the 200+ catalogue makes the SA's life complicated.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
Old 27 July 2023, 03:35 PM   #43
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Everyone has a different taste and style. Not that difficult to understand, right. Maybe you like watches that everyone likes, doesn't mean I follow the crowd...

I'm very pleasant to deal with, at least I don't hear my clients complaining ;)
No offense, but asking for the most popular versions each of 15510, 15550 and 26240 doesn't exactly set you apart from the crowd.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
Old 27 July 2023, 03:38 PM   #44
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyness87 View Post
Sad to hear. Interesting in hearing from you which other brands you think run the ship better?
For fairness sake, I think all brands are equally bad actually. The usual suspect Rolex, PP, Hermes, RM are as bad as AP, maybe even worse. Sometimes it’s just a feeling that things are not working out and there’s no point trying anymore. That’s what it feels like for me with AP. I had great times with the boutique but overall I just don’t feel the same enthusiasm anymore. I could have taken the SS ROC as a parting gift and selling it immediately on the grey market, pocket the profit, but I believe if I’m vocal of being on here about anti-flipping, my real life actions should reflect that hence the rejection.

I know it may sound ironic after I mentioned about the diversity of collection with regards to CODE, yet I got offered a SS ROC. The truth is that I was only offered a SS ROC after telling the brand that I no longer intend to pursue AP anymore, and that was sort of their consolation offer. Before that conversation, it was always about buying a CODE - how about this CODE, that CODE etc. It got to a point that even when I was heading to the city centre where the boutique is, I was hesitant to drop in the boutique for a visit, because I knew if I had asked for anything, they will always ask - How about a CODE? Why bother when I already know the answer? The professionalism of the staff can’t be faulted - well trained, knowledgeable etc, but I am just tired and no longer want to pursue it anymore.

Not speaking about OP, just about my own experience with the brand. Some people here have done great with AP, and that’s good. That means there’s a diversity of collectors out there - people collecting Rolex, AP, PP, RM, Seiko etc. There’s no right or wrong, just that different people have different perspective.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 03:40 PM   #45
NTCP8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No offense, but asking for the most popular versions each of 15510, 15550 and 26240 doesn't exactly set you apart from the crowd.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
You are right... Problem is that I change my mind quite a bit, especially when you have to wait X amount of months for a watch. I do like the silver dial, however darker dials suit me better with my clothes. Hence, I bought the purple CODE and black dial 15510 OR.

For the record, I didn't ask AP to sell me RO ASAP, I'm not in a rush. I don't mind waiting, obviously not 24 months.
Old 27 July 2023, 03:41 PM   #46
crispyness87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
For fairness sake, I think all brands are equally bad actually. The usual suspect Rolex, PP, Hermes, RM are as bad as AP, maybe even worse. Sometimes it’s just a feeling that things are not working out and there’s no point trying anymore. That’s what it feels like for me with AP. I had great times with the boutique but overall I just don’t feel the same enthusiasm anymore. I could have taken the SS ROC as a parting gift and selling it immediately on the grey market, pocket the profit, but I believe if I’m vocal of being on here about anti-flipping, my real life actions should reflect that hence the rejection.

I know it may sound ironic after I mentioned about the diversity of collection with regards to CODE, yet I got offered a SS ROC. The truth is that I was only offered a SS ROC after telling the brand that I no longer intend to pursue AP anymore, and that was sort of their consolation offer. Before that conversation, it was always about buying a CODE - how about this CODE, that CODE etc. It got to a point that even when I was heading to the city centre where the boutique is, I was hesitant to drop in the boutique for a visit, because I knew if I had asked for anything, they will always ask - How about a CODE? Why bother when I already know the answer? The professionalism of the staff can’t be faulted - well trained, knowledgeable etc, but I am just tired and no longer want to pursue it anymore.

Not speaking about OP, just about my own experience with the brand. Some people here have done great with AP, and that’s good. That means there’s a diversity of collectors out there - people collecting Rolex, AP, PP, RM, Seiko etc. There’s no right or wrong, just that different people have different perspective.

Very insightful color. And makes sense.
Applaud you for sticking to your principles.

crispyness87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 03:47 PM   #47
NTCP8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinapark View Post
I

OP, if you really want to hit a wall, go visit Patek or Rolex. They will make you wait for a 31mm two tone DateJust or a $40k manual wind Calatrava.

In Europe it's much easier to get Rolex than here in HK. Was in Zurich Airport back in 2021, visited the boutique, and they offered me a date just 41mm. Why to me, and not to the person who was there before me? No idea... PP might be a bit more complicated, but not impossible like in HK or SG.
Old 27 July 2023, 03:51 PM   #48
NTCP8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Except they were "pushing" a green dial ROC, which carries a 100% premium on the secondary market. Hard to construe that as AP mistreating OP.

Narrowing one's possible purchases to three of the most popular models out of the 200+ catalogue makes the SA's life complicated.
100% premium!!! Hmm maybe I should agree to a green ROC ;). No, can't be bothered with the resell value.
Old 28 July 2023, 12:38 AM   #49
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
You’ve been offered a green chrono and feel you’re hitting a wall?

Do not let mini know this info fella - he’s not even allowed to lick the AP window let alone buy one
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 01:12 AM   #50
messikens
"TRF" Member

I'm gonna raise my hand at the boutique and tell them I hit a wall but I MAY be able to consider a green ROC as a consolation

Will let you know how it goes 🥸
messikens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 02:57 AM   #51
l_chissle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivalas View Post

Do not let mini know this info fella - he’s not even allowed to lick the AP window let alone buy one
l_chissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 03:47 AM   #52
Shmoopy
"TRF" Member

The AP bootlickers in this thread are too much lol

Who cares about the gray market value of a watch you never requested? It's not like you can sell it and remain in their good graces.
Shmoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 03:50 AM   #53
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

this has hints of my super sweet 16
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 04:57 AM   #54
l_chissle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
this has hints of my super sweet 16
l_chissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 05:03 AM   #55
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivalas View Post
You’ve been offered a green chrono and feel you’re hitting a wall?

GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 05:14 AM   #56
Whichwwtch
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/RM
I feel like AP has treated me considerably better than a lot of other brands. The PP I went to a few times literally would never take down my information and still hasn't after visiting 4+ times. It actually made me completely lose interest in PP. Journe once invited me to an event and uninvited me to make space for other people lmfao. Rolex - same as PP. Completely just disrespectful and disregarding. Only after getting a personal introduction from a friend to a Rolex AD in an entirely different town did I secure something from a Rolex AD and I'm sure that had more to do with Rolex just dumping produce recently than the introduction.

Meanwhile with AP I've been able to effectively skip the line and went from a Code to an application piece (26424BC) as a second watch (I have a 15510ST/15510BC ltd100 that they know I have but that are unregistered to my profile which was helpful). But what I found best about them was that they actually sit down and take the time to talk and as long as I follow up with them every now and again it is always met with open arms unlike many others. But part of that is on you as a relationship builder to remember little things like how many kids your SA has and their names, where they're from, what vacation they were going on next, etc.

Buying things you may not necessarily have at the very top of your list is just a necessary evil of the AD game.
Whichwwtch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 06:49 AM   #57
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmoopy View Post
The AP bootlickers in this thread are too much lol

Who cares about the gray market value of a watch you never requested? It's not like you can sell it and remain in their good graces.
the point they're trying to make is that judging by the grey market premium it's a very in demand watch and the OP isn't hitting a "wall" when he's being offered a piece few others are + it's clearly not them offering him watches no one else wants just to build history
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 07:15 AM   #58
Shmoopy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
the point they're trying to make is that judging by the grey market premium it's a very in demand watch and the OP isn't hitting a "wall" when he's being offered a piece few others are + it's clearly not them offering him watches no one else wants just to build history
I hear you, but I kind of think it’s a silly point. OP has hit a wall with regards to the pieces he desires.
Shmoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 07:16 AM   #59
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
That point only makes sense if you view an allocation of a very in demand watch as a huge favor irrespective of whether you like it or not. I don't share that view and I have some sympathy for OP not wishing to buy stuff he doesn't like no matter how hot it may be. From his perspective buying the green chrono would serve nothing except for building history.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 07:33 AM   #60
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
I haven't even tried. I was able to get a blue ROC back in 2018 before the madness really took off for my 40th. After that I just figured it's pointless cause the only thing I'd really want would be a jumbo. Too many people with way more money than me....especially in Florida. Feel very lucky with what I have. OP sounds like your foot is in the door. I wouldn't totally abandon all hope.
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote