The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 2 August 2023, 03:15 PM   #31
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyRba View Post
I had a pretty bad experience with Henry Stern NY service center in 2018 when I sent my unworn 5711 white to them for an issue. I sent it directly without involving an AD. The watch came back with scratches on bezel and case back. After I raised a fuss, HSNY had it polished/refinished be sending it to Geneva. When I received the watch back, the bezel had lost its depth.

I subsequently sent two other watches to them for service in 2020/21 through an AD. Both again came back with few tool marks on the caseback but this time, they were few/small and I guess ‘acceptable’ to me. Guess sending them through the AD helped. It’s clear to me at this point that HSNY has some major issues with how the cases/bracelets are handled during movement service. I guess if the watch has been worn a lot before being sent for service or people don’t care about few additional scratches, these service issues don’t get highlighted enough for HSNY to fix their house.
So are you saying you buy your watches and barely wear them to keep them in pristine condition, and any small mark would then show? What's the point of purchasing the watches if you don't wear them...
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2023, 03:38 PM   #32
AlyRba
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doyle View Post
So are you saying you buy your watches and barely wear them to keep them in pristine condition, and any small mark would then show? What's the point of purchasing the watches if you don't wear them...
Go read my post again please. Only 5711 was unworn as it went to service center shortly after being delivered. The other two watches were worn and they came back from service with tool marks on the caseback that were not there previously. That should not be acceptable to anyone unless they are ok with their cars coming back with dents/scratches from a service for example. And that’s a reason why I don’t share bad experiences about brands on forums anymore. There are ‘brand loyalists’ ever ready to stand up and defend them.
AlyRba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2023, 09:35 PM   #33
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

Agreed, i had the same with a salon when they just changed the strap and small scratches appeared on the lugs right next to the strap connections. Of course they denied it all.

I'd be much more furious about the 5711 having to go to service shortly after being delivered - that is more unacceptable than scratches done by the service center.
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2023, 06:38 PM   #34
IS2000
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,PP,AP, PAM
Happened to my 5711 twice at my local PP service center. I think it’s unavoidable especially for people who keep their watches in pristine conditions. I think a lot of these service centers expected refinishing jobs done at the servicing time, so they are not as careful when working on the watches.
IS2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2023, 11:00 PM   #35
cbalster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctoryellow View Post
I sent my Nautilus in to adjust the movement last month and it came back with hairline and microscratches all over the polished surfaces. Is this normal?! I know because the case back is always pristine and now it’s all scuffed up, like they took a dirty cloth all over it. Even the polished bevels are all scuffed, everywhere. Can you buy a replacement sapphire rose gold case back? I’m not a proponent of polishing.

So disappointed. I’m super OCD about checking my watch after every wear (I know, crazy) but this is my favorite watch and I’ve kept it scuff free until this happened. I’m sure they’ll offer to polish if I sent it back but again I’m anti polishing.
they probably afford no special "customer declined polish" care to the service. would assume the micro-scratches occur with every watch that passes thru their service, but their process is to correct that with polishing. since you declined polishing this is the result. sorry you're in a no-win situation here because that bell cannot be unrung. only fix is no fix or polishing.
cbalster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2023, 04:23 AM   #36
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmocdm View Post
I had a similar experience with Rolex once. I sent my GMT for servicing via an AD, no polishing. When the watch arrived, I examined it and everything looked great. Then, the SA took it to the back of the store to put it in a box. I walked out of the store, and when I took it out later, I saw a huge deep scratch on the side of the case. I immediately took it back. They looked at the photos after servicing, but the side of the watch had not been photographed. First, they tried to argue that I had sent the watch for servicing with scratches already. Surely, it had hairline microscratches, but not such a huge deep scratch. Later, they argued that it was me who had damaged the watch after taking it out of the store. I had to make a huge fuss... Then, the store agreed to polish the watch, which I did not accept. The scratch was so deep, it would have removed a large amount of material from the case. I didn't find that acceptable. Another huge fuss... Finally the store agreed to pay for a replacement case.

I have no idea how my watch was scratched, but it happened when the SA took it to put it in a box, after I examined it.

In your case, it looks like they wiped it with a very dirty cloth. That is disgraceful. Depending on the amount of damage, if you don't find polishing can address it without removing too much material, ask for replacement case and bracelet. Do you think it was Patek's servicing center or your AD who was responsible? Either way, complain profusely to Patek.
Same with me. Send a brand new watch through the Rolex AD for service and it came back with the clasp scratched a lot. Things happen I guess.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2023, 04:27 AM   #37
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by IS2000 View Post
Happened to my 5711 twice at my local PP service center. I think it’s unavoidable especially for people who keep their watches in pristine conditions. I think a lot of these service centers expected refinishing jobs done at the servicing time, so they are not as careful when working on the watches.
I never realized that. But it makes sense if they have to clamp the watch and use metal tools to remove the back.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote