The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 17 August 2023, 10:25 AM   #31
cajunron
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
Thanks for the replies, everyone. My paperwork says 'medicine will be given through an IV line for sedation'. I've had someone tell me I would be unconscious and someone else told me I would be conscious but unaware. I'm sure the medical professionals will take good care of me. Tonight at midnight I must refrain from solid food until the procedure. I appreciate all the advice.
Old 17 August 2023, 10:27 AM   #32
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Glad you're going to get this done, Ronnie! Not much I can add to all comments above, but had my first one last month. So grateful I went, and it was indeed a great nap! For mine I was out completely, anastetics administered by IV. Here's to a great procedure and outcome.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2023, 10:32 AM   #33
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunron View Post
Thanks for the replies, everyone. My paperwork says 'medicine will be given through an IV line for sedation'. I've had someone tell me I would be unconscious and someone else told me I would be conscious but unaware. I'm sure the medical professionals will take good care of me. Tonight at midnight I must refrain from solid food until the procedure. I appreciate all the advice.

Yes, that’s what people told me. They called it “twilight” but I was totally knocked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2023, 10:33 AM   #34
cajunron

Rereading my paperwork, I see a paragraph that states 'there is a remote risk of injury to your native teeth or to dental work that is beyond our control.' They then inform me I must sign a waiver because of this. I wonder what that is about?
Old 17 August 2023, 10:33 AM   #35
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
Another fun story:
After my first one, my wife came to bring me home. She was directed to the recovery room with beds lined up in rows along each wall, separated only by curtains.
She hears a loud fart (that's all anyone does while they sleep off the anesthesia) followed by a laugh and "Good one".
She knew that was me even through the curtain. LOL
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2023, 10:36 AM   #36
cajunron

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Bay Rider View Post
Another fun story:
After my first one, my wife came to bring me home. She was directed to the recovery room with beds lined up in rows along each wall, separated only by curtains.
She hears a loud fart (that's all anyone does while they sleep off the anesthesia) followed by a laugh and "Good one".
She knew that was me even through the curtain. LOL
Old 17 August 2023, 10:42 AM   #37
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
Quote:
Rereading my paperwork, I see a paragraph that states 'there is a remote risk of injury to your native teeth or to dental work that is beyond our control.' They then inform me I must sign a waiver because of this. I wonder what that is about?
You are waaay over thinking this Ron… these things are done a thousand times every morning in every state..they have to say everything under the sun to CYA

THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2023, 11:05 AM   #38
cajunron

Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
You are waaay over thinking this Ron… these things are done a thousand times every morning in every state..they have to say everything under the sun to CYA

Old 17 August 2023, 11:11 AM   #39
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I used to ask my older clients if they got regular colonoscopies. As a lawyer, it was out of my field, but if I was chatting and had my own coming up, I would ask if they got them. One client who I liked very much did not get them. He died fairly young of colon cancer. My late uncle told me he was on the waiting list. There is no waiting list.

A rare preventable cancer. The prep sucks, the procedure under anesthesia they can drive a Buick up your —- and you wouldn’t know. You really have to get this over age 45.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2023, 12:23 PM   #40
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
Quote:
Having my first colonoscopy exam this Friday. Anyone have any advice, recommendations or suggestions? Feeling a little anxious.
Had mine a few weeks ago. Prep is not fun but's it's not awful. I managed to keep a few pounds off after I had my procedure LOL. The drug induced sleep is awesome. Actively try to rehydrate yourself following the procedure since the cleansing process will have drained you pretty good. Relax, it's not a big deal.

Edit: they tell you you'll be in a twilight state but you'll be completely asleep and not feel a thing.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2023, 12:44 PM   #41
77T

Colonoscopy

Quote:

Clamping/grinding still occurs. I can tell you are that guy who reads the instructions before assembling an IKEA table!

Propofol and midazolam inhibit conscious memory processes so you won’t recall a thing - but also the after affect does mean no driving the rest of the day. Good advice from others about not doing any HV wiring!

Just come back here and make some loopy posts so we can have a good laugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2023, 01:05 PM   #42
cajunron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Clamping/grinding still occurs. I can tell you are that guy who reads the instructions before assembling an IKEA table!

Propofol and midazolam inhibit conscious memory processes so you won’t recall a thing - but also the after affect does mean no driving the rest of the day. Good advice from others about not doing any HV wiring!

Just come back here and make some loopy posts so we can have a good laugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
As an electrician I'll take your advice to heart!
Old 17 August 2023, 01:25 PM   #43
Funkeruski
"TRF" Member

Had my third one done last week. Not being able to eat the day before if the worst part. Then, having a raw ass because of constant crapping is a close second. The actual procedure is a walk in the park. I actually enjoy the anesthesia. Best sleep I ever get. I had my wife drive us back to the hotel, and then I took over and drove the 250 miles back home.
Funkeruski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2023, 01:51 PM   #44
StuartG

Quote:
Fun story:
I once had a colonoscopy and endoscope on the same day. Joking with the Dr I asked if he used the same scope for both. He answered "Don't worry, after the colonoscopy we wipe it off.
I had both on the same day, too. The nurse said, “I see you’re here for the rotisserie!”.
StuartG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2023, 02:08 PM   #45
John Deaux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamerson80 View Post
If you're getting propofol, you'll be fine. The prep the night before will suck, though.

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk
This, exactly! It's no big deal, drinking the prep sucks bad though. I've had stomach issues for a while, I'm only 51 but have had 5-6 so far.
John Deaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2023, 02:44 PM   #46
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
I found the idea of not eating for (I think it was almost 48 hours) most intimidating as I am skinny and need my regular meals. In the end it wasn't a problem, and nor was the quantity of liquid. The clean-out isn't fun but it's all over quickly and if you stick religiously to the instructions it is a pretty painless process for a lot of gain.
I didn't have any post-anaesthetic dopiness at all. Could have driven but didn't.
I think I had the Gastroscopy and Colonoscopy concurrently.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2023, 02:58 PM   #47
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
As one who had a colon resection surgery about four years ago, let me state from a position of knowing: If I hadn’t had the colonoscopy when I did, the outcome of my situation could have been much much worse (a permanent colestomy bag). Good thing you see getting it done and for those that are waiting: Don’t.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2023, 09:23 PM   #48
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Easy peasy...even being sedated they asked if I would like to watch the monitor which I did. Pretty interesting to see your innards. For the prep...I get a kick out of the amount of water shooting out of my ass....hilarious sounds.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2023, 09:52 PM   #49
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Fun story:
I once had a colonoscopy and endoscope on the same day. Joking with the Dr I asked if he used the same scope for both. He answered "Don't worry, after the colonoscopy we wipe it off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartG View Post
I had both on the same day, too. The nurse said, “I see you’re here for the rotisserie!”.
My nurses called it The Blue Plate Special.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2023, 10:17 PM   #50
ltmgeller

Watch: Rolex
My dr uses a ketamine mixture to knock me out and I have to say it was outstanding. can't wait to go back.
Old 18 August 2023, 12:44 AM   #51
hambone1983
2024 Pledge Member

timing of the prep is based on counting back from when your procedure is scheduled. I had to get up at 3AM for the 2nd round of prep. You never feel confident falling back asleep for what might occur if you do. That was a detail no one told me about.

Also, you can mix that stuff with clear Gatorade, which makes it much more palatable than mixing it with water.

Finally, they are able to get camera in there because they inflate your colon with forced air. Be prepared afterward to be crazy flatulent the rest of the day.
hambone1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2023, 12:58 AM   #52
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
For the prep...I get a kick out of the amount of water shooting out of my ass....hilarious sounds.
I am turning 45 this year and going to have to go get mine, so the timing of this thread is good. But I definitely nearly spit my coffee out when I read this.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2023, 01:20 AM   #53
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
Easy peasy...even being sedated they asked if I would like to watch the monitor which I did. Pretty interesting to see your innards. For the prep...I get a kick out of the amount of water shooting out of my ass....hilarious sounds.
yeah, this was funny.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2023, 01:43 AM   #54
Beo3

Watch: Too Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltmgeller View Post
My dr uses a ketamine mixture to knock me out and I have to say it was outstanding. can't wait to go back.
You're a strange man Michael......
Beo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2023, 01:47 AM   #55
Gaijin

Watch: ing your back.
Get it done.

I had my first at 50. They took out 19 polyps. Several that were precancerous adenomas. The doctor said I would have definitely had colon cancer if I did not go in.

Get them annually now and they still take out multiple numbers of polyps.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2023, 01:48 AM   #56
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone1983 View Post
timing of the prep is based on counting back from when your procedure is scheduled. I had to get up at 3AM for the 2nd round of prep. You never feel confident falling back asleep for what might occur if you do. That was a detail no one told me about.

Also, you can mix that stuff with clear Gatorade, which makes it much more palatable than mixing it with water.

Finally, they are able to get camera in there because they inflate your colon with forced air. Be prepared afterward to be crazy flatulent the rest of the day.

I used the Gatorade trick. It didn’t help much. Still awful. Also, I woke up before the procedure was over, and did watch the monitor. Results were all normal, thank goodness. Because my father died of Colon CA, I have to do this every 2 years. Lucky me!

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2023, 01:56 AM   #57
KatGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrazor251 View Post
This!!

I’ve had 2 and the only side effect is that the prep has ruined the taste of Gatorade for me for the rest of my life.

LOL. Not me. It remains my go to beverage, as I completely stopped drinking soda a few years ago. Carbonated beverages can weaken your bones.

Nurse Kat

Old 18 August 2023, 02:35 AM   #58
Barbara_C
"TRF" Member

As stated im a retired nurse pushing 66...never had one done. Ive used the poop in the box a few times but IMHO unless it runs in your family its one of the most "over used" huge money making things you can have done . I think 60 mins ran a special about some hospital up in the N.E. that did not full "clean" all the devices between patients etc, made me sick at my stomach. Ive seen some really botched up stuff in my days as a nurse. Im not saying its a bad thing but overused IMHO.
Barbara_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2023, 02:47 AM   #59
wantonebad

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara_C View Post
As stated im a retired nurse pushing 66...never had one done. Ive used the poop in the box a few times but IMHO unless it runs in your family its one of the most "over used" huge money making things you can have done . I think 60 mins ran a special about some hospital up in the N.E. that did not full "clean" all the devices between patients etc, made me sick at my stomach. Ive seen some really botched up stuff in my days as a nurse. Im not saying its a bad thing but overused IMHO.
I will politely ignore every post you make from now on, total BS!! I'll follow doctors advice thank you...

That said no worries on the procedure, as everyone has pointed out its an easy exam and gives full peace of mind for 5-10 years depending on your situation and age.
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2023, 03:01 AM   #60
KatGirl

Colonoscopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara_C View Post

I am also a retired RN, and could not disagree more. Routine colonoscopies, as recommended by your personal physician, are not dangerous, and they save lives. Encouraging people, on a watch forum, to NOT follow the AMA’s standard recommendations, regarding a routine Cancer screening test, is irresponsible. I spent years as an Oncology Nurse, and watched middle aged people die of Colon CA. So, I suggest you stick to talking about watches, rather than giving ill advised medical advice.

Kat