The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 November 2023, 02:13 AM   #31
Fahoo Forays
Banned

Watch: 16264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smouraneto View Post
Hello folks. For the last years I have travelled quite a bit and visited a variety of ADs. Almost every time I walk into one of them, I have the same feeling... They say: "How can I help you?" but if feels more like "what do you want from me"? Basically same feeling in US (all around), Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Sweden, Caribbean, Portugal, UK....
I had the chance to visit some non-AD dealers (grey) and it was a whole another story. Just great!
I've been to the local AD here, but never to buy anything, only to have the Rolex I own removed from its bracelet. SA was wearing a nice Oysterquartz and told me he also had a Sub. Nice young man, we had a nice conversation. I was pleased to run into someone so young who knew that much about watches. can't say for certain that it would have been just as nice a visit if I'd been looking for a blingy (sports) Rolex.

Quote:
What is the deal with the ADs? I donīt have any "history" with them....but for some reason, It feels they donīt want to have any history with me. Makes me feel like a begger.
If you don't have any previous history, you will become a beggar if you want a watch from an AD. Simple as that. And you'll still be waiting weeks at the very least, unless you agree to buy something like a 31mm OP with diamonds on the bezel first.

Bottom line is, they don't have anything for YOU. They have it for the folks who have "built a relationship with the(ir) AD", meaning they've already done the groveling or excess buying you're gonna eventually do if you don't realize that there are thousands of Rolex references you can buy without ever leaving your study. Again, for the people in the back of your mind- If you don't have purchasing history with the AD and you feel that you MUST buy from them, begging is what you're willing to do by default.
I guess I'll be the one to ask the tough question: Why did you go to a Rolex AD/RSC instead of a grey market or pre-owned? When I found the reference that spoke to me, I contacted some grey and pre-owned dealers and the watch was on my wrist within a few days. Even if Rolex still made the reference, I'd pass on the AD visit because walking in there wanting a watch is different formost potential customers, I'd think, than walking in there to have your WR checked or something.

The only people you'll ever meet who walked into a Rolex AD looking to buy and walked out of the store wearing a new Rolex are on this site or Watchuseek. One guy here has even told you how to walk thru the store, (don't go directly to the Rolex section- circle around to deceive them for a few minutes). Seriously- he told you how to walk thru a Rolex AD, and approach certain non-Rolex displays first so the people who normally would be looking to earn your money don't get the immediate sense that you're looking for something they are going to sell to someone else.

Do you NOW realize where you are in the food chain? Do you now realize how not to be part of that chain and still enjoy the brand?
Fahoo Forays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2023, 02:19 AM   #32
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
They still give snotty vibes even after purchases. I think they only roll out the red carpet for VIPs (very big spender.)

But the roles will be reversed soon enough. Figure 1 to 2 years. It's not yet time to buy, don't catch a falling knife.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2023, 02:22 AM   #33
Podmornica
Banned

Why would you want to visit the AD at this point in time anyway?

You won't get any of the most popular references like the BLRO, BLNR or Daytona anyway and every other less popular reference like the two tone Datejust, full precious metal pieces as well as majority of two tone sports models are already bellow MSRP or close at the grey dealer and you can get the watch tomorrow.

I would skip the AD altogether at this point.
Podmornica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2023, 03:20 AM   #34
Hamm
"TRF" Member

I’ve had widely different experiences. Ended up getting a call back 3 days later from an AD I visited while on vacation. Picked up a DJ41, the first Rolex I’ve purchased myself. That was a great experience.

Still waiting on local AD. That one might be worth of a whole new post… will wait on that until I get my wife a DJ31. Very different experiences from different sales people.
Hamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2023, 04:11 AM   #35
PenDelicate
"TRF" Member

Watch: P-serial 116518
Was treated well from the two ADs near me; got a watch from one after a year's wait. No complaints.
PenDelicate is offline   Reply With Quote