The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 8 December 2023, 02:57 AM   #31
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Welcome to the forum.
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2023, 04:32 AM   #32
buddenfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
Open one up and compare it to a similar piece from a haute horology manufacture.
O the finishing refers to the ‘guts’ of the watch when opened
up? I assumed it was stuff like bracelet integration, brushing, polishing etc
buddenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2023, 04:35 AM   #33
buddenfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoylentGreenChi View Post
For what Rolex does in their position in the market - nice looking mechanical watches that are crazy accurate and tough as nails - no one does it better. That’s why Rolex is a global obsession and nearly everyone respects Rolex, even if they don’t love the brand.

But Rolex does not do high horology, beautiful movement designs and fine finishing. If that matters to you (it does not matter to most) then there is a veritable universe of “better” watches than Rolex to explore. If you want to explore that world, I suggest first stop the “holy trinity” of Patek, AP, and Vacheron. Then go on to the next stop, A. Lange & Sohne. Then from there explore the more rarified world of independents, including H. Moser and Cie, Gronefeld, Moritz Grossmann, and MB&F. If you like this world, then follow the Revolution Watch folks and watch the videos from the Dubai Watch Fair on YouTube. There’s an endless world to explore above and beyond Rolex - but Rolex is foundational, and I’d never sell my Datejust.
Agreed with you. Ive sold one of my DayDate’s to get a different DayDate and have sold 2 different DateJust’s over the years but still and always will have 1 Datejust (palm dial) and one DayDate (ombre green dial)
buddenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2023, 04:54 AM   #34
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddenfan View Post
Can you tell me what is meant by ‘great finishing’ I have 2 Rolex’s and they both look quality and pristine
You nailed it in the previous post. Rolex is closed back for a reason and since it is a tool watch so movement aesthetics and finishing should not even be mentioned in the same sentence with Rolex. It is the top tool watch brand but no where close to haute horology.

If someone is looking for a tool watch, there is probably not many other brands better than a Rolex. But if someone is looking for haute horology and/or artisanal craftsmanship, Rolex is not even on the list to be considered. Different strokes for different folks.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2023, 11:40 AM   #35
PinKchampagnE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
You nailed it in the previous post. Rolex is closed back for a reason and since it is a tool watch so movement aesthetics and finishing should not even be mentioned in the same sentence with Rolex. It is the top tool watch brand but no where close to haute horology.

If someone is looking for a tool watch, there is probably not many other brands better than a Rolex. But if someone is looking for haute horology and/or artisanal craftsmanship, Rolex is not even on the list to be considered. Different strokes for different folks.
Some brands manage to strike a good balance between the two though, as antinomic as that might seem. Case in point with the GO SeaQ, where the finishing is way superior to the Sub while still being a solid case-back dive watch.
PinKchampagnE is offline   Reply With Quote