The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 February 2024, 03:14 PM   #31
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeoftheTiger View Post
This happened to my twice, first time it was when they resized the watch, second time came back and complained about it, they offered to replace the screws, they did and again they got to mangle the new screw heads, this time was even worst as new screws won't be flush with the links , so for the third time decided to go to a new AD, they again replaced the screws, this time they did perfect but new screws were shorter than the factory ones, at the end I had to bring the original screws and the amazing service technician fixed the original mangled screws.
So keep in mind if they replace the screws they won't be flush with the links
you're best option is find an AD who can fix the original screws and put them back very careful
Fix the original screws??

Can you send me a link to this service?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 04:41 PM   #32
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

I add and remove links of my newly purchased Rolex all the time - no issues. I'm with Padi on that one, not the end of the world. I've had Patek scratch my watch while changing straps - not the end of the world, error is humane.
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 04:49 PM   #33
Rolex1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Meteorite
It happens but I’d rather do it myself than get other peoples handling marks on my watch.
Rolex1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 05:44 PM   #34
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Unfortunately these things happen and it’s a fix that can be easily rectified
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 08:36 PM   #35
frank gama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
We need a pic, but yes, this is very common and why you should resize yourself.

Working in a AD requires no training or special skills so you have to wonder why you would roll the dice and let someone that might have been working at Target last month in housewares, learn to size a Rolex bracelet with your watch……
Spot on.

Happened to me with my first datejust some 25 years ago. Ever since that experience, whenever I get a new watch, I always make it a point to "share" my previous experience with them, and politely ask (warn) them to be careful not to damage the screws. I make it a point to tell them that Im in no hurry at all.
Never had problems since.
Old 5 February 2024, 12:47 AM   #36
Gearjockey
"TRF" Member

There’s no way I would let them resize my watch. Just like I wouldn’t pay for an oil change. Jiffy-lube changed transmission coolant once and on the way home up Genesee, CO I-70, all the warning lights illuminated. Pulled over and, somehow, the coolant plug was missing. Took over a year for Jiffy-lube to repair harm, they just didn’t want to admit fault. So now, as with automobiles, I perform my own simple maintenance. The youtube is there, the tools are easy to use. It’s actually an enjoyable process and empowering. It’s your watch, just politely tell them “no thanks”.
Gearjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 01:01 AM   #37
BlakeA
"TRF" Member

I had the same problem when I bought my 114060 from the AD. Now I just do it myself with the proper screwdriver and a hair dryer.
BlakeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 12:08 PM   #38
Seo
"TRF" Member

Very common unfortunately.
Seo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 01:23 PM   #39
Mdpaint
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 gmt
So many comments and no pictures are we sure op isnt exagerating the mangled comment

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk
Mdpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 04:40 AM   #40
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlOver View Post
Yes. Same BS all the time. Telling people that their issue or concern is a non issue and that they are being petty. Just more of the same.
haha I got 7 more years than you of hearing that broken record!
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 05:03 AM   #41
colonelpurple
2024 Pledge Member

get the new screws from them, and also links if they have scratched the link, but dont let them replace them

either do it yourself or find a competent dealer. Is there a Rolex service centre near you ? this would be my first point of call. Otherwise a Rolex boutique in a major city, even if owned by a chain, usually has higher standards.

if you do yourself, certainly look at this:
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=932527

best to get the right screwdriver. For alot of modern rolex oyster bracelets the screw driver is 1.7mm which is not possible to get in the UK, unless you get the Horofix 2100 tool or an original rolex 2100 tool. I have found that you can use a 1.6mm screwdriver, which is quite common, but you need to be careful, and I would use it only on screw bars that have been screwed out before. If you don't. pour boiling water over the link before and use 1.7mm (for oysters).

To modify the advice in link above, I would add:

1. Never put back in glue. It is totally unnecessary and can jam everything up

2. If you can, try and avoid unscrewing the last link, as if you bugger up, the can damage part of the bracelet that you can not replace. Meaning Rolex has to fix the bracelet. A corollary is to avoid the screw bar attached to the clasp link for the same reason. If you have to choose between the two, the choose the clasp link bar.

3. Personally, I found link adjustment quite easy on the oyster. The most difficult bracelet adjustment by far is the 7 link Breitling Navitimer. Each segment of each link comes out, and they can not be put randomly. Its a nightmare.

Anyway, for the Rolex oyster, I found slightly more difficult then actual link removal or return, is adjusting the in-clasp micro-adjust, without scratching. This is the first bracelet where I have had such difficulty. There are premade tweezers which can do this job well. I would look for them. Make sure the end points are small enough. The inserting gap is smaller then most other watches need for micro-adjustment.

This video is good for showing how to do the micro-adjust well on the oyster. He also goes through link removal which is good, but uses a 1.6mm. I recommend the 1.7:
adjust oyster

4. Lastly, examine carefully the screws and screwdriver end before you connect them together. Make sure you put the screwdriver in the screwbar head exactly. I use an eye magnifier with built in light to do this precheck:

30x: need to get very close: be careful:
Amazon.co.uk triplet 30x

10x:
Amazon.co.uk triplet 10x

on the other hand, forget the loop if you become obsessive! I use them to check the watch and you get to cry over each imperfection :D
colonelpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 07:01 AM   #42
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
No one said it was the end of the world. Where do you come up with this sh**!? lol. Your projecting your own issues with the hobby these days, and while sometimes they are valid, your imagination is running wild blowing other things out of proportion. its pretty ridiculous and honestly I'm shocked you haven't taken a break from the forum.

You're right though, its not "rocket science" which makes it all the more surprising and upsetting when an AD screws it up (no pun intended). Furthermore, Im guessing your newest reference is a 5 digit. The 6 digits arrive slammed with loctite. RSC has told me directly they use a special method of heating the screw to remove them from the factory, so while it's not "rocket science" it's not as simple as it was when you bought your watches.

In my experience, this special method is not required if you have the right screwdriver. I personally only use the curvature style, hollow ground blades which are non slip while still providing enough torque to break the loctite.

While I can easily size a brand new bracelet in a few minutes today, I've had my share of trial, error and nervous sweats damaging screws on my first few watches. So don't insist it's super easy for someone that's never done it. It takes practice and the right tool.

OP, I'd bring the watch back to the AD and ask them to replace the screws. The entire set of SS screws cost me about $36, however that was about 8 years ago.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck!
Best reply I have read in a long time on this forum. As I was scrolling down reading replies I said to myself… “Whoever said it was the end of the world?” and I thought the OP was handling it very well (much better than I would ) Then I came across this response and thought you were reading my mind Chadridv

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 11:03 AM   #43
Infusion1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
No one said it was the end of the world. Where do you come up with this sh**!? lol. Your projecting your own issues with the hobby these days, and while sometimes they are valid, your imagination is running wild blowing other things out of proportion. its pretty ridiculous and honestly I'm shocked you haven't taken a break from the forum.

You're right though, its not "rocket science" which makes it all the more surprising and upsetting when an AD screws it up (no pun intended). Furthermore, Im guessing your newest reference is a 5 digit. The 6 digits arrive slammed with loctite. RSC has told me directly they use a special method of heating the screw to remove them from the factory, so while it's not "rocket science" it's not as simple as it was when you bought your watches.

In my experience, this special method is not required if you have the right screwdriver. I personally only use the curvature style, hollow ground blades which are non slip while still providing enough torque to break the loctite.

While I can easily size a brand new bracelet in a few minutes today, I've had my share of trial, error and nervous sweats damaging screws on my first few watches. So don't insist it's super easy for someone that's never done it. It takes practice and the right tool.

OP, I'd bring the watch back to the AD and ask them to replace the screws. The entire set of SS screws cost me about $36, however that was about 8 years ago.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck!
Thank You for saying what the majority are thinking.
Infusion1 is offline   Reply With Quote