The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 8 March 2024, 04:26 PM   #31
SylvainDXB
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, Rolex and more
Great great timepiece. Not like it's gonna be offered to me to begin with, but the "31" feels really out of place, wish they had stuck with the prior subdial version.... These are the kind of details that once I see, I can't unsee...
SylvainDXB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2024, 04:27 PM   #32
Napaswar
"TRF" Member

I absolutely love this piece and AP won't definitely sell it to me with only mid 6 figures spending history.

Anyway, Mr.Mayer once said
"The only way to win when you see something you want and can’t have is to stop wanting it, and the only way to stop wanting it is to convince yourself you don’t like it.
My advice: Look at the watch, have a smile, admire its no-brainer beauty and scroll on"
Napaswar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2024, 09:05 PM   #33
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo View Post
Yes, it's a a watch forum and AP subforum and people commenting like AP dropped not new complication or color but a whole new line of watches ... reading some comments felt like I'm reading Mens Health or something...
Hilarious. And true.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2024, 09:38 PM   #34
AEV
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
Love it. Real life photos of the dial are stunning.
The small font on the 31 and the blue hand week indicator are apparently JM's inputs.
AEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2024, 09:51 PM   #35
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Not my favorite. Either the brand or the watch.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2024, 01:17 AM   #36
vliberman
"TRF" Member

The entirety of AP creativity these days can be boiled down to one thing: different color combo. Zero chronological innovation for $180k. To each its own.
vliberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2024, 01:31 AM   #37
Akacoke
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by vliberman View Post
The entirety of AP creativity these days can be boiled down to one thing: different color combo. Zero chronological innovation for $180k. To each its own.
This sums up 90% for the watch industry
Old 9 March 2024, 01:36 AM   #38
raclaims
"TRF" Member

I love the piece...I've also met him in person and he's a real watch freak like us...he just happens to play guitar and sing well...while many of us do other things well that are less in the public eye...

So yeah I'm excited about the piece.
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2024, 02:09 AM   #39
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylvainDXB View Post
Great great timepiece. Not like it's gonna be offered to me to begin with, but the "31" feels really out of place, wish they had stuck with the prior subdial version.... These are the kind of details that once I see, I can't unsee...
This had to be a request by JM, and will provide uniqueness and additional value down the road.

I do really like the week hand blending more into the color of the watch face being less dominate. I love that function and find it a cool mental fuck about where I am in my year, what i have not accomplished and how how quickly time passes. Makes a bigger impression than the months to me for some reason.

That said, I like it more in the background.
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2024, 02:11 AM   #40
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Innovation in how to track time in a mechanical watch is pretty tough after hundreds of years of watch making.

Do you happen to have some fresh ideas that are better than ULTRA-COMPLICATION UNIVERSELLE (RD#4)????
Old 9 March 2024, 02:37 AM   #41
edo
"TRF" Member

People act like AP need to offer new movement with every color... they revamped the Jumbo, made in house chrono and time only, did pretty much awesome skeletonisations, push the RDs and Concept models...

The only thing they did better previously is dial variations and material combinations especially on QP and ROO line... as good as it is, movement and size wise the ROOs are a little bit bland...
edo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2024, 02:46 AM   #42
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo View Post
People act like AP need to offer new movement with every color... they revamped the Jumbo, made in house chrono and time only, did pretty much awesome skeletonisations, push the RDs and Concept models...

The only thing they did better previously is dial variations and material combinations especially on QP and ROO line... as good as it is, movement and size wise the ROOs are a little bit bland...
What I would like to know….what watchmaker over the last 5 years has introduced more new movements, material innovation, etc than AP?

Guess what is coming next year…a new in house QP movement. That is on top of new jumbo movement, new tourbillion movements, new chrono movement, a new watch line with the code, all their ceramic work, openwork….

I feel like because they have so many variations, people think they are just changing the dial color and case material. Would people prefer they only offer black or white dial and SS or Rose Gold?

It’s silly. They have put out more new movements and innovation than Patek, VC and Rolex combined in the last five years.
Old 9 March 2024, 02:51 AM   #43
vliberman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
Innovation in how to track time in a mechanical watch is pretty tough after hundreds of years of watch making.

Do you happen to have some fresh ideas that are better than ULTRA-COMPLICATION UNIVERSELLE (RD#4)????
I don’t but people at MB&F do…runs circles around APs PC..if u care for much lower price point, Ochs and Junior PC is unbeatable..just a few examples…

Now, if u are going to suggest that company producing 50,000 watches can make one example that is off the charts, sure.. the rest is uninspiring
vliberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2024, 02:56 AM   #44
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Not a JM fan but that is a nice piece.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2024, 03:11 AM   #45
edo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don’t but people at MB&F do…runs circles around APs PC..if u care for much lower price point, Ochs and Junior PC is unbeatable..just a few examples…

Now, if u are going to suggest that company producing 50,000 watches can make one example that is off the charts, sure.. the rest is uninspiring
The business model is different. Max doesn't need to pay first class flights, hotels, coke and dinner to 46 influencers dozen times a year...

And let's get back to watches and this incredible double wristshot

edo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2024, 11:49 AM   #46
phisch
"TRF" Member

I’m anticipating seeing this piece live at the Sphere in June. Should have called it the Nightfall of Diamonds dial. JM pulled out some heavy hitter APs on tour last summer but this one is peak.
phisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2024, 12:11 PM   #47
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Since AP makes so few each year...I wonder if the JM QP will make getting a QP allocation a bit tougher for a couple years as the QP becomes more popular with the celebs.

Several articles keep mentioning that this is the last QP with the old movement. Guessing we won't see any new QPs until next spring for the 150th, likely get a Sand Gold QP then is my guess with the new movement.

Question is...will the new QP movement be a module put on the new in house Jumbo movement, or a whole new integrated QP movement.
Old 9 March 2024, 05:00 PM   #48
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Quote:
Since AP makes so few each year...I wonder if the JM QP will make getting a QP allocation a bit tougher for a couple years as the QP becomes more popular with the celebs.

Several articles keep mentioning that this is the last QP with the old movement. Guessing we won't see any new QPs until next spring for the 150th, likely get a Sand Gold QP then is my guess with the new movement.

Question is...will the new QP movement be a module put on the new in house Jumbo movement, or a whole new integrated QP movement.
I've been told there is a new QP movement coming and this is the last for the current movement. Not sure if it's based on the Jumbo movement or not.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2024, 06:52 PM   #49
l_chissle
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I do really like the week hand blending more into the color of the watch face being less dominate.
100%, I have often mistaken the week hand as a minute hand...
l_chissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2024, 10:31 PM   #50
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steele View Post
Seems like a rehashing just on another level of the Tuscany Dial 25820PT I have in platinum

Here is another photo of the new John Meyer compared to my 25820PT I do love the blue in the new John meyer
Does look good but that 31 is an eyesore, reminds me of the Leno Chin on the early PP PCC, when Jay insisted he had his signature on that watch too
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2024, 12:27 AM   #51
SylvainDXB
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, Rolex and more
Quote:
This had to be a request by JM, and will provide uniqueness and additional value down the road.

I do really like the week hand blending more into the color of the watch face being less dominate. I love that function and find it a cool mental fuck about where I am in my year, what i have not accomplished and how how quickly time passes. Makes a bigger impression than the months to me for some reason.

Pretty sure (or at least I hope) there is a back story behind that 31, would be cool to know. But regardless of the explanation, if I were to “hypothetically” own the watch, I would go crazy because of my slight OCD .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SylvainDXB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2024, 12:51 AM   #52
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:

How about a boxing ring timer, 3:00 countdown like a yacht timer conversion from 10:00 but then…

Retrograde to 1:00 countdown timer.

Repeat the cycle, so a retrograde countdown timer with chime that alternates between two countdown values.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2024, 01:57 AM   #53
raclaims
"TRF" Member

I like the 31 personally
I love the whole thing
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2024, 02:33 AM   #54
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Nice.
Old 10 March 2024, 05:33 AM   #55
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Does look good but that 31 is an eyesore, reminds me of the Leno Chin on the early PP PCC, when Jay insisted he had his signature on that watch too
Quote:
Originally Posted by SylvainDXB View Post
Pretty sure (or at least I hope) there is a back story behind that 31, would be cool to know. But regardless of the explanation, if I were to “hypothetically” own the watch, I would go crazy because of my slight OCD .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
From quotes I have read from JM, he didn't want to make the 31 red like it is on the other QP from AP because it would break up the full blue design of the watch. They couldn't use a light blue like the week hand because it would blend in too much and white would get mixed up the the 1 for the 1st.

So they came up with smaller 31 and dropping the 1 down.
Old 14 March 2024, 09:48 AM   #56
eiesh
"TRF" Member

Let’s not add fuel to the fire.
Mods can one of you please delete the post above.

Thoughts on this comparison

eiesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2024, 09:59 AM   #57
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiesh View Post

i think both took an existing model and tastefully modified it

i feel like Travis had more creativity though and made it an actual collab whereas JM just made it another QP, although that's probably more due to the fact that Travis has a brand and they have different goals. i prefer JM's though because i don't like brown or straps..
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2024, 10:00 AM   #58
rappvctrinity
"TRF" Member

Travis Scott QP by a mile. It is more aggressive. Less staid. More masculine. Amazing reference. The brown ceramic is possibly the only time it will be used by AP. Don’t get me wrong. I love the JM. But side by side it is obvious the TS is more AP DNA than the JM. For clarification my 1st 2 APs were the original rubber clad and the original end of days. That is my point of reference.

Quote:
Let’s not add fuel to the fire.
Mods can one of you please delete the post above.

rappvctrinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2024, 10:04 AM   #59
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

i think both did a good job

i feel like Travis had more creativity though and made it an actual collab whereas JM just played it safe and made it another QP. totally understandable given his personality + that he's a watch guy and we're all really conservative when it comes to changes, vs someone like Travis who has an actual brand and much different target audience

i prefer JM's for myself or to wear though because i don't like brown or straps... but i think Travis had the better collab personally and i know i'm in the very small minority here
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2024, 09:09 PM   #60
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rappvctrinity View Post
The brown ceramic is possibly the only time it will be used by AP.
Apologies for nit picking but AP have already used brown ceramic.