The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 5 August 2023, 12:20 AM   #751
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Is there a master list of lift angles for different movements? I noticed a few lift angles have been updated or so it would seem via internet. I would like to find reliable master list of lift angles for multiple manufacturers.
Try this
https://watchguy.co.uk/cgi-bin/lift_angles
Old 5 August 2023, 12:20 AM   #752
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

6σ is not relevant if the process routinely fails. Ford is 6σ (or claims to be) and they routinely recall vehicles.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...e/70489508007/

Oh yeah, let’s have more of that…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 5 August 2023, 12:22 AM   #753
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
Old 6 August 2023, 05:15 AM   #754
fredos_rolex
"TRF" Member

I have a new Sub 124060 that I just picked up last week. I am hoping it is just having a break-in period, as it is running -3 and -4spd, which is disappointing. The DJ 126234 I picked up (new) this spring runs MAYBE +2 sec/week. Even my old AK 14000 (admittedly just 6 months after a full service) runs pretty reliably at +1 or +2 spd.

I hope the new Sub isn't "infected" because I love it and for me at least, that was some serious coin I dropped.
Old 6 August 2023, 06:46 AM   #755
Cassian739

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
Thanks for sharing!
Old 6 August 2023, 06:50 PM   #756
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredos_rolex View Post
I have a new Sub 124060 that I just picked up last week. I am hoping it is just having a break-in period, as it is running -3 and -4spd, which is disappointing. The DJ 126234 I picked up (new) this spring runs MAYBE +2 sec/week. Even my old AK 14000 (admittedly just 6 months after a full service) runs pretty reliably at +1 or +2 spd.
many things effect
I hope the new Sub isn't "infected" because I love it and for me at least, that was some serious coin I dropped.
Cannot understand why you are disappointed with any watch thats runs -3 to -4 seconds. Would you feel the same if it was +3+4 seconds many things effect all mechanical watches on wrist off wrist, even on one of those machine winder things. The escapement of a mechanical watch in 24 hours pushes the gears 432,000 time and a day has 86,400 seconds .And on or off wrist different resting positions etc just because Rolex tests to this -2+2 spec dont mean it will perform exactly the same every single day. Given the fact that the movement is constantly affected by the earth's gravity, metal expansion and contraction, temperature variations, mainspring power-reserve subtle changes in lubrication and friction, shocks, and so on. fact is that no mechanical watch made will keep 100% perfect time, very close yes but perfect no.

Position Of Watch seconds Per Day Timegrapher test still meets Rolex -2+2 spec.

Dial Up +2
Dial Down -1
6 o’clock +3
9 o’clock -3
3 o’clock +5

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 6 August 2023, 10:13 PM   #757
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:

Listen to Padi's advice. Self-regulate the watch by finding a position where it keeps time well and leave it like that every night. I keep mine in "crown up" position and they're quartz-like in accuracy. My SD43 is spot on at the end of every month.

Don't let yourself get swayed by the anecdotal data in this and other 32xx threads. Your watch doesn't have a "virus." It is in exceptional working condition.
Old 6 August 2023, 11:19 PM   #758
Skully
"TRF" Member

Watch: 136660
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Cannot understand why you are disappointed with any watch thats runs -3 to -4 seconds. Would you feel the same if it was +3+4 seconds many things effect all mechanical watches on wrist off wrist, even on one of those machine winder things. The escapement of a mechanical watch in 24 hours pushes the gears 432,000 time and a day has 86,400 seconds .And on or off wrist different resting positions etc just because Rolex tests to this -2+2 spec dont mean it will perform exactly the same every single day. Given the fact that the movement is constantly affected by the earth's gravity, metal expansion and contraction, temperature variations, mainspring power-reserve subtle changes in lubrication and friction, shocks, and so on. fact is that no mechanical watch made will keep 100% perfect time, very close yes but perfect no.

Dial Up +2
Dial Down -1
6 o’clock +3
9 o’clock -3
3 o’clock +5
Thanks!
Old 11 August 2023, 08:55 PM   #759
Marast-66
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Dial Up +2
Dial Down-1
6 o’clock+3
9 o’clock-3
3 o’clock+5

Spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11 August 2023, 10:50 PM   #760
DavidUK
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Over the decades I've found that if you twiddle the little knob on the right, the one with the crown on it, you can re-adjust the time so as to be spot on!

Do this once a month, or as often as you like, and you'll find all your worries evaporate.
Old 12 August 2023, 01:12 AM   #761
CaptT

Quote:

If a watch is marketed to a certain accuracy, and it's slower than that out the gate it's natural to be a little disappointed, in my opinion. Regardless of if this is a 32xx movement or not.

But of course it's all relative. And how much or little it bothers someone is perhaps personal. Not sure I'd send it in right away, but I'd be evaluating it over the first few months.

You've probably seen some members here are driven to figuratively facepalm when others - predominantly enthusiasts - take an interest in the timekeeping performance of their watches. Or a desire to leave them un-polished, or examine with a loupe, or the preference for box and papers, the list goes on. Enjoy your watch(es) and the hobby however it suits you best.

And congrats on your new Sub, it's a classic.
Old 12 August 2023, 04:42 AM   #762
ironchips
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Dial Up +2
Dial Down -1
6 o’clock +3
9 o’clock -3
3 o’clock +5
Oh the power of the interwebs! If the 3135 came out in 2023 we'd be having the same conversations because information travels so fast now. No reason at all for disappointment. Find a good resting position at night (My 126610LN likes Crown down) and prepare to be amazed! 432,000 pushes/day=
Old 12 August 2023, 06:59 AM   #763
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidUK View Post
Over the decades I've found that if you twiddle the little knob on the right, the one with the crown on it, you can re-adjust the time so as to be spot on!

Do this once a month, or as often as you like, and you'll find all your worries evaporate.
Wow… David! You’re a genius!
Old 12 August 2023, 08:41 AM   #764
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:

Your kindness, respect, and compassion shown towards other members in this thread has genuinely moved me.
Old 12 August 2023, 09:06 AM   #765
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptT View Post
If a watch is marketed to a certain accuracy, and it's slower than that out the gate it's natural to be a little disappointed, in my opinion. Regardless of if this is a 32xx movement or not.

But of course it's all relative. And how much or little it bothers someone is perhaps personal. Not sure I'd send it in right away, but I'd be evaluating it over the first few months.

You've probably seen some members here are driven to figuratively facepalm when others - predominantly enthusiasts - take an interest in the timekeeping performance of their watches. Or a desire to leave them un-polished, or examine with a loupe, or the preference for box and papers, the list goes on. Enjoy your watch(es) and the hobby however it suits you best.

Agreed.
It's a journey.
Every person's path is different and should be enjoyed according to the individual's desires.
To that, priorities change and we transition through phases according to where we are in life
Old 12 August 2023, 09:24 AM   #766
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchips View Post
Oh the power of the interwebs! If the 3135 came out in 2023 we'd be having the same conversations because information travels so fast now. No reason at all for disappointment. Find a good resting position at night (My 126610LN likes Crown down) and prepare to be amazed! 432,000 pushes/day=
That's the hell of it.
The 31xx movements were around during the internet watch forum heyday and nobody ever mentioned anything about abnormal degradation of performance to the point of dropping out of spec.
I would add that the 32xx movement didn't come out in 2023.
It's been around for 8 years or so with the same issue being reported and no fix in sight as far as we know.
Also I see the statistics creeping up on the big 32xx poll thread and it's not the percentage one would like to see.

For the record.
I've been wearing my "Superlative" DSSD fairly consistently for over a week or so and it has a 3135 that's still around a barely perceptible 0.25 of a second off from when I fired it up and setting it after sitting idle for a few months.
In summary, the 32xx movements are statistically fairly how ya going when compared with the benchmark modern Rolex movements.
The numbers don't lie and support the facts
Old 12 August 2023, 10:58 PM   #767
ironchips
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
That's the hell of it.
The 31xx movements were around during the internet watch forum heyday and nobody ever mentioned anything about abnormal degradation of performance to the point of dropping out of spec.
I would add that the 32xx movement didn't come out in 2023.
It's been around for 8 years or so with the same issue being reported and no fix in sight as far as we know.
Also I see the statistics creeping up on the big 32xx poll thread and it's not the percentage one would like to see.

For the record.
I've been wearing my "Superlative" DSSD fairly consistently for over a week or so and it has a 3135 that's still around a barely perceptible 0.25 of a second off from when I fired it up and setting it after sitting idle for a few months.
In summary, the 32xx movements are statistically fairly how ya going when compared with the benchmark modern Rolex movements.
The numbers don't lie and support the facts
Rolex is doing something. Between 2021 and 2022 they swapped out the rotor bearing. Do you happen to know what that was all about? I'll admit thats why I waited to get mine until 23'
Old 13 August 2023, 04:10 PM   #768
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchips View Post
Rolex is doing something. Between 2021 and 2022 they swapped out the rotor bearing. Do you happen to know what that was all about? I'll admit thats why I waited to get mine until 23'
Taking it at face value, I simply assume it's an updated design and nothing more.
To be frank, I was surprised with the few number of Ball bearings that the original design had, but I assumed that Rolex had done their homework and validated it.
Clearly my original assumption was flawed due to my blinkered view of the brand, as the updated design is in line with my prior expectations
Old 13 August 2023, 08:09 PM   #769
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptT View Post

Yes the Rolex marketing states movement has been tested to a pricision of -2+2 seconds in its case.But in the real world this don't mean it will be exactly the same every day for life..Much like they test cars for MPG and now with electric cars the mileage range.How many actually achieve these quoted manufacturers figures very few I would expect.Why simply when driving their are many variables same for watches like owners wearing habits mainspring power reserve plus many others.Life to short to worry and fret over a few seconds either way out of 86400 seconds in a day.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 14 August 2023, 08:10 AM   #770
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

I doubt Rolex has a permanent fix nor is seriously looking for one at this point. Seems like they know how to service them to make the problem go away for a bit, and that's probably good enough for now.

I'd imagine they are devoting their resources to developing a 33xx or a heavily modified 32xx that might as well be a new movement (kind of like Omega's 2500D when their movements were having issues). Tons of watchmakers have movements that match or exceed the PR of the 32xx (including Tudor) without these issues, so obviously Rolex is capable of doing so as well.

I'd imagine they will continue to "service" the ones that come in (whether in or out of warranty) and then eventually hot-swap the updated movements into the watches (at an expensive "service" price).

I believe that's how Tudor has been dealing with their GMT issues, and it appears the way this industry is going is towards hot swapping movements into watches rather than servicing them anyway.
Old 14 August 2023, 11:56 AM   #771
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subshark1861 View Post
I can't imagine it's a design defect as all watches with the 32XX would be affected. Maybe in terms of some of it is difficult to make or assemble to the correct specification, but not a problem when everything is within spec.

When you are making 1000's of items, things go wrong.
Things seem to go wrong much more often with the 32xx movements
Old 14 August 2023, 12:00 PM   #772
CedCraig
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dark knight View Post
I doubt Rolex has a permanent fix nor is seriously looking for one at this point. Seems like they know how to service them to make the problem go away for a bit, and that's probably good enough for now.

I'd imagine they are devoting their resources to developing a 33xx or a heavily modified 32xx that might as well be a new movement (kind of like Omega's 2500D when their movements were having issues). Tons of watchmakers have movements that match or exceed the PR of the 32xx (including Tudor) without these issues, so obviously Rolex is capable of doing so as well.

I'd imagine they will continue to "service" the ones that come in (whether in or out of warranty) and then eventually hot-swap the updated movements into the watches (at an expensive "service" price).

I believe that's how Tudor has been dealing with their GMT issues, and it appears the way this industry is going is towards hot swapping movements into watches rather than servicing them anyway.
I agree that the focus is on the 33xx, which surely will be designed for a hot swap with lemon 32xx movements. The 32xx probably won‘t be around very long, in comparison to the 31xx movements.

I know Tudor hot swaps, but I haven‘t heard of higher end companies doing that, just ones that use Sellita/ETAs (and Kenissi). Which „good“ brands other than Tudor are hot swapping movements?
Old 14 August 2023, 12:09 PM   #773
goodolejr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

While we're at it, why not just continuously turn the crown adjust the hands in real time?
Old 14 August 2023, 12:11 PM   #774
sevykor
"TRF" Member

Everything is fine. No problems to report. Stop making an issue out of nothing. BTW, don’t look up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 14 August 2023, 12:43 PM   #775
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevykor View Post

Everything is fine. No problems to report. Stop making an issue out of nothing. BTW, don’t look up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah it's the season for the perseid meteor shower! (None of which will hit you in the head)
Old 14 August 2023, 12:53 PM   #776
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedCraig View Post
I agree that the focus is on the 33xx, which surely will be designed for a hot swap with lemon 32xx movements. The 32xx probably won‘t be around very long, in comparison to the 31xx movements.

I know Tudor hot swaps, but I haven‘t heard of higher end companies doing that, just ones that use Sellita/ETAs (and Kenissi). Which „good“ brands other than Tudor are hot swapping movements?
Outside of the really low end brands like Seiko that have dirt cheap movements, I honestly do not know brands that hot swap instead of servicing movements. And even Seiko I believe it's the owners requesting swaps since that would be cheaper than servicing.

And even Tudor is a bit of an aberration as they are hot swapping problematic lemon movements. My understanding is they don't hot swap movements in lieu of normal servicing, even their models with ETAs/Sellitas.

Rather my understanding is this is a fairly newer approach, and honestly even then it appears to be more based on industry rumors rather than tangible corporate policy. I believe some of the ETA Powermatic movements are rumored to be designed to be swapped rather than serviced, so to the extent this is happening it appears to be lower-end. I doubt Patek or ALS are going to be hot swapping movements rather than servicing them.

OTOH there are brands like Oris and their Cal. 400, that they claim was designed specifically with ease of servicing in mind. So I guess this is a company to company approach.

But I believe there was some speculation Rolex may adapt this type of model in the future as they produce a ton of new movements each year, the 32xx appears to be designed with more parts that are meant to be replaced rather than repaired/serviced, and bottom line considerations (tech/automation making movement manufacturing cheaper while human labor may rise in cost). But who knows. At the very least, I'm betting Rolex will take this approach with lemon 32xx movements in the near future.
Old 14 August 2023, 07:20 PM   #777
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dark knight View Post
Outside of the really low end brands like Seiko that have dirt cheap movements, I honestly do not know brands that hot swap instead of servicing movements. And even Seiko I believe it's the owners requesting swaps since that would be cheaper than servicing.

And even Tudor is a bit of an aberration as they are hot swapping problematic lemon movements. My understanding is they don't hot swap movements in lieu of normal servicing, even their models with ETAs/Sellitas.

Rather my understanding is this is a fairly newer approach, and honestly even then it appears to be more based on industry rumors rather than tangible corporate policy. I believe some of the ETA Powermatic movements are rumored to be designed to be swapped rather than serviced, so to the extent this is happening it appears to be lower-end. I doubt Patek or ALS are going to be hot swapping movements rather than servicing them.

OTOH there are brands like Oris and their Cal. 400, that they claim was designed specifically with ease of servicing in mind. So I guess this is a company to company approach.

But I believe there was some speculation Rolex may adapt this type of model in the future as they produce a ton of new movements each year, the 32xx appears to be designed with more parts that are meant to be replaced rather than repaired/serviced, and bottom line considerations (tech/automation making movement manufacturing cheaper while human labor may rise in cost). But who knows. At the very least, I'm betting Rolex will take this approach with lemon 32xx movements in the near future.
Tudor definitely do swap out their in-house movements even for simple servicing. Not sure about the older ETA/Sellita pieces, but definitely the in-house ones. The movement is removed and replaced with a serviced one from someone else's watch. Meanwhile, the one out of your watch gets serviced at Tudors convenience/leisure and then eventually dropped into someone else's watch. I was at Tudor event at my local AD last year and I specifically asked one of the Tudor representatives who were present. He was a bit surprised I knew about it, but he confirmed that is the case, so unless something has changed in the last year it's fair to assume it's still the practice.
Old 15 August 2023, 05:45 AM   #778
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Will probably have another 3235 going back. Got it in November and was running at +1 sec/day tracked every day for a month. It progressively started running slower and slower and currently has been ar -3 sec a day for the last 2 weeks. Once it gets to -5 or more sec/day slow it will go back like my other 3235 movements.
Old 15 August 2023, 05:48 AM   #779
CedCraig
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
Tudor definitely do swap out their in-house movements even for simple servicing. Not sure about the older ETA/Sellita pieces, but definitely the in-house ones. The movement is removed and replaced with a serviced one from someone else's watch. Meanwhile, the one out of your watch gets serviced at Tudors convenience/leisure and then eventually dropped into someone else's watch. I was at Tudor event at my local AD last year and I specifically asked one of the Tudor representatives who were present. He was a bit surprised I knew about it, but he confirmed that is the case, so unless something has changed in the last year it's fair to assume it's still the practice.
Exactly. The standard is for Tudor to swap out Kenissi movements. I recall reading that if you specifically request it, the service center will not hot swap but will service your movement and put it back in your watch. I think James Stacey on Hodinkee wrote that, but now I can’t find the article.

Interesting that a microbrand that uses Kenissi movements, Ultramarine, does not hot swap.
Old 15 August 2023, 07:19 AM   #780
trali
"TRF" Member

Regarding Tudor movements replacing:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_3347.jpeg (239.8 KB, 222 views)
Closed Thread