The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 15 August 2023, 10:40 AM   #781
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
Tudor definitely do swap out their in-house movements even for simple servicing. Not sure about the older ETA/Sellita pieces, but definitely the in-house ones. The movement is removed and replaced with a serviced one from someone else's watch. Meanwhile, the one out of your watch gets serviced at Tudors convenience/leisure and then eventually dropped into someone else's watch. I was at Tudor event at my local AD last year and I specifically asked one of the Tudor representatives who were present. He was a bit surprised I knew about it, but he confirmed that is the case, so unless something has changed in the last year it's fair to assume it's still the practice.
Did not know this, great to know. I guess there is no reason then for Rolex not to adopt this model.
Old 16 August 2023, 05:41 AM   #782
CedCraig
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dark knight View Post
Did not know this, great to know. I guess there is no reason then for Rolex not to adopt this model.
To me, hot swapping is what budget brands do. But Rolex has never been about high horology so maybe they’ll start that repair model, given the problems with the 32xx movements.

However, once the 33xx are out and a 32xx lemon comes in for service, I think Rolex should install a brand new 33xx movement, not a used one and certainly not a refurbished 32xx.

The overwhelming majority of Rolex purchasers just want crown-branded jewelry anyway so I can’t imagine they would care at all about getting a refurbished movement of any kind.
Old 16 August 2023, 06:24 AM   #783
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

There is nothing beyond wild speculation a 33 series will be in our future in the next decade or longer. In Rolex time lines, the 32 series movement is still in its “new” phase. Look how many decades the 31 series hung around. “Swapping movements” is also way too far down a Rolex hypothetical to give it any validity as well. It’s also not a Rolex practice.
Old 16 August 2023, 07:35 AM   #784
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by CedCraig View Post
To me, hot swapping is what budget brands do. But Rolex has never been about high horology so maybe they’ll start that repair model, given the problems with the 32xx movements.

However, once the 33xx are out and a 32xx lemon comes in for service, I think Rolex should install a brand new 33xx movement, not a used one and certainly not a refurbished 32xx.

The overwhelming majority of Rolex purchasers just want crown-branded jewelry anyway so I can’t imagine they would care at all about getting a refurbished movement of any kind.
Hot swapping, lemons and crown-chasers. Sure sounds bleak for Rolex.
Old 16 August 2023, 07:41 AM   #785
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by CedCraig View Post

Even more misplaced speculation, 32xx has only been branded a "lemon" by a very small handful of vocal individuals on a forum based on flawed data. There are millions of 32xx units in service and it has been broadly adopted across the entire Rolex catalog.
Old 16 August 2023, 08:02 AM   #786
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I am fairly sure Rolex is not swapping out the current movements for some future movement. Rolex has a lot of confidence in this movement as shown by its gradual introduction across the whole production line. They could have ditched it, early on, years ago if they felt it had issues. Things Rolex does very well are marketing and providing a product of excellence with no equals in its class.
Old 16 August 2023, 12:21 PM   #787
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
Even more misplaced speculation, 32xx has only been branded a "lemon" by a very small handful of vocal individuals on a forum based on flawed data.
One of whom works for a RSC and is getting a half dozen 32xxs a week to be fixed
Old 16 August 2023, 12:40 PM   #788
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by East of Eden View Post
One of whom works for a RSC and is getting a half dozen 32xxs a week to be fixed
Bas never called it a lemon.
Old 16 August 2023, 01:47 PM   #789
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
He says it more or less has serious problems, which some are in denial about
Old 16 August 2023, 05:35 PM   #790
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Yes but in the real world some 32 movements might slow down while others might not, which could just equate to the owners wearing habits, life to short to worry over seconds out of 86400 in day.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 16 August 2023, 09:07 PM   #791
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
And I never will
Old 16 August 2023, 11:36 PM   #792
Barada7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Because even with its potential (inevitable?) failure within what most of us would consider an unacceptable period (5 years? - have any of them gotten that far?) it’s still an incredibly accurate movement.
Old 16 August 2023, 11:46 PM   #793
DavidUK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gab27 View Post
Your kindness, respect, and compassion shown towards other members in this thread has genuinely moved me.
It's not kindness, respect, and compassion they need...

...it's a shrink, or a drink, say I (with a wink).
Old 17 August 2023, 12:08 AM   #794
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
How are your watches with the 32xx movements running?

From my perspective, I’m not concerned and I own 3 with the 32xx movement.
I’ve got two subs, 2020 blue TT and 2022 LV. Have not noticed any substantial slowdown and these are the two I wear the most.
Old 17 August 2023, 12:57 AM   #795
amh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Actually he admitted it's far less than that when I extrapolated his reported number over an entire year. We don't know the exact number but I'm going to guess the Bas figures have been misconstrued.
- What is the annual total? (100? 200? 300?)
- What is a bad week? (Five?)
- A good week? (One? none?)
- How many watches typically come in for "service" during the week during normal times?
- How many 31xx series come in?

We need discussion on these topics before we can simply say "half a dozen a week." It's not enough information and currently per Bas himself it is not true.

Quote:
Not in denial, but skeptical of the wild rumor-mongering, such as the ludicrous 25% failure rate pulled from the uncontrolled internet poll or the even bigger 60% failure rate inferred by experience of one user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barada7 View Post
Because even with its potential (inevitable?) failure within what most of us would consider an unacceptable period (5 years? - have any of them gotten that far?) it’s still an incredibly accurate movement.
My SD43 still is GrandSeiko-like in accuracy after 6 years, FWIW.

Failure is actually very unlikely, otherwise Rolex would be overwhelmed with broken watches. Instead they're increasing adoption of their groundbreaking movement.
Old 17 August 2023, 01:16 AM   #796
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Actually he admitted it's far less than that when I extrapolated his reported number over an entire year. We don't know the exact number but I'm going to guess the Bas figures have been misconstrued.
- What is the annual total? (100? 200? 300?)
- What is a bad week? (Five?)
- A good week? (One? none?)
- How many watches typically come in for "service" during the week during normal times?
- How many 31xx series come in?

We need discussion on these topics before we can simply say "half a dozen a week." It's not enough information and currently per Bas himself it is not true.
Sorry, he was the one who said half a dozen 32xx problems a week, waay more than other movements.
Old 17 August 2023, 01:20 AM   #797
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Yes but in the real world some 32 movements might slow down while others might not, which could just equate to the owners wearing habits, life to short to worry over seconds out of 86400 in day.
What office dwelling wearing habit would cause lots of 32xx watches to suddenly lose 30 spd, in a $10k watch billed as COSC accurate?
Old 17 August 2023, 01:31 AM   #798
amh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry, he was the one who said half a dozen 32xx problems a week, waay more than other movements.
But later walked it back! Everyone continues to parrot "6 units per week" as if it is an absolute constant that never varies..

- What age were the watches?
- Have the newer watches behaved better? (ie. fewer incoming units)
- What are other RSCs experiencing?

Quote:
What office dwelling wearing habit would cause lots of 32xx watches to suddenly lose 30 spd, in a $10k watch billed as COSC accurate?
Sitting in a chair doing nothing all day except moving a mouse.
Old 17 August 2023, 03:59 AM   #799
Subshark1861
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060, 126710BLNR
Doesn't the latest Daytona calibre incorporate the chronergy escapement? If that stays 'good' then at least it's one thing that can be eliminated.
Old 20 August 2023, 02:36 AM   #800
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
But later walked it back!
Cite?

Quote:
Everyone continues to parrot "6 units per week" as if it is an absolute constant that never varies..

- What age were the watches?
- Have the newer watches behaved better? (ie. fewer incoming units)
- What are other RSCs experiencing?

Sitting in a chair doing nothing all day except moving a mouse.
Which is what most Rolex wearers do, why would the same behavior suddenly cause -30 spd after a few years? When my dad was 98 in a nursing home doing not much he never had these issues with his 1984 DJ.
Old 20 August 2023, 07:19 AM   #801
Seo
"TRF" Member

I ironically made money because of the 32xx issue, I would never have sold my watches if they didn’t have the issue.

I’m 4 bad of 6 for what it’s worth, I do have a 3230 that is rock solid after 2.5 years. I guess I’m very very statistically unlucky and RSC are loaded up with work because of people religiously servicing their watches for preventative maintenance.

Hope Rolex properly fix it soon, I really do want a WG Sub. For those that don’t think there is an issue, hope your watches run fine and you enjoy it.

In the mean time my non Rolexes and daytonas are going great.
Old 20 August 2023, 07:38 AM   #802
Seo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There is nothing beyond wild speculation a 33 series will be in our future in the next decade or longer. In Rolex time lines, the 32 series movement is still in its “new” phase. Look how many decades the 31 series hung around. “Swapping movements” is also way too far down a Rolex hypothetical to give it any validity as well. It’s also not a Rolex practice.
Just on the subject of “new” phase, 3035 movement only lasted about 10 years. For what ever reason they moved on from it pretty quickly and this is from the 70’s and 80’s where stuff like this took much longer to change vs now.
Old 22 August 2023, 12:21 PM   #803
Russm535il
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Pelagos
I bought a blue dialed Tudor Pelagos with the in-house movement and love it !

I planned to buy a new Sub for my 65 th birthday but unfortunately because of the issues with the new Rolex movement I told my jeweler to take me off the list for the Submariner and I purchased a blue dialed titanium Tudor Pelagos with Tudors in house movement instead . It’s a wonderful diver at half the cost of the Rolex. It does not have Rolex name recognition status or likely the resale value of a Sub but I’m very happy with my Tudor! Also it’s nice to have something different. My 1984 Rolex which I purchased new runs accurately, it’s never had a problem and it’s almost 40 years old. I hope Rolex acknowledges and fixes the problem with this problematic movement.
Old 22 August 2023, 12:38 PM   #804
Russm535il
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Pelagos
Tudor service swapping movements

I own a Tudor Pelagos with the in-house movement and love it! I was trying to get a straight answer from tudor on this very question .So Tudor simply “pop “s in “ a serviced movement from another watch . I never got anywhere asking Tudor thst question ! Accordingly I will only have my Tudor serviced by my Watchmaker NOT Tudor .I want to keep my watches original movement and don’t want someone else’s which might have a history of abusive treatment,
Closed Thread