The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 19 October 2019, 05:27 AM   #781
ChipotleBanana
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Patek
The watch is worth what Rolex asks for it, not a dollar more. Anyone paying almost double MSRP is wasting their money when they could easily be enjoying another watch or building up the relationship with their AD. Just take the time to build a friendship with your SA and they will more than likely get you anything you would like(money permitting lol).
Old 19 October 2019, 05:42 AM   #782
MattyL147
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipotleBanana View Post
The watch is worth what Rolex asks for it, not a dollar more. Anyone paying almost double MSRP is wasting their money when they could easily be enjoying another watch or building up the relationship with their AD. Just take the time to build a friendship with your SA and they will more than likely get you anything you would like(money permitting lol).
And there you have it folks...

Old 19 October 2019, 05:47 AM   #783
mbalmz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
so it sounds like if rolex asked for $17k as MSRP you'd be fine with that?
___

instagram: @brooklynwatchguy
Old 19 October 2019, 05:53 AM   #784
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
So, buy something you do not really want to "build a relationship" with the AD for he/she to grant you the privilege to buy what you do want? What a load of garbage and this is the crap that spreads which enables these AD's to act how they do. F that.
Old 19 October 2019, 06:06 AM   #785
Xtralarg
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=V25V;10065253]So, buy something you do not really want to "build a relationship" with the AD for he/she to grant you the privilege to buy what you do want? What a load of garbage and this is the crap that spreads which enables these AD's to act how they do.

I cant wait for times to change and those cocky AD's have to revert to how they used to be
Old 19 October 2019, 06:21 AM   #786
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The watch is worth what Rolex asks for it, not a dollar more. Anyone paying almost double MSRP is wasting their money when they could easily be enjoying another watch or building up the relationship with their AD.
Wrong, sorry.

Anything is worth what the market will pay. Most of the world lives in a capitalist economy. Rolex dictating the mrsp, and customers who live by that centrally controlled price, do not live by capitalist principles (communism springs to mind...).

The white Daytona ceramic and the AP 15400/15500 are judged by the market to be roughly equivalent, hence the prices are similar. That is what they are "worth".

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 19 October 2019, 06:40 AM   #787
DTap
"TRF" Member

Seems like the bubble is bursting to me. Both models of ss gmt seem to be steadily reducing price on the grey side. Combine that with the glut of grey inventory, continued production, and shrinking waiting lists....almost reset time.
Old 19 October 2019, 06:56 AM   #788
kpinthebay
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 16610 or dads
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeevvvooo View Post
Wrong, sorry.

Anything is worth what the market will pay. Most of the world lives in a capitalist economy. Rolex dictating the mrsp, and customers who live by that centrally controlled price, do not live by capitalist principles (communism springs to mind...).

The white Daytona ceramic and the AP 15400/15500 are judged by the market to be roughly equivalent, hence the prices are similar. That is what they are "worth".

Very true. The market is what a willing person will pay.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 19 October 2019, 07:10 AM   #789
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTap View Post
Seems like the bubble is bursting to me. Both models of ss gmt seem to be steadily reducing price on the grey side. Combine that with the glut of grey inventory, continued production, and shrinking waiting lists....almost reset time.
Well thats the thing now. My friend who was never really a watch guy just got caught up in the hype and managed to get a BLNR at MSRP

So the gray offered him $12.5k and another one offered even less at $12k. So his dilemma now is does he list it privately and start off at $14k and do "bumps" for months and months hoping to sell it for $13.5k himself or just get it over and done with and give it to the gray for $12k.

He doesnt want to hold it anymore because maybe by December grays are offering $11k and he's making peanuts now.

Similar trend I'm seeing in the classifieds. Continuous bumps for weeks or months and no sale and continuous price drops until someone who loves the watch enough will pay the premium.

I can only see the prices dropping for now. Just the hype is gone. That is what caused the craziness in the past but that hype is significantly down now.
Old 19 October 2019, 07:17 AM   #790
exador
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
My friend who was never really a watch guy just got caught up in the hype and managed to get a BLNR at MSRP.
Old 19 October 2019, 07:20 AM   #791
logo
"TRF" Member

When the hype drops, I'm going to let ADs onto my waitlist that doesn't actually exist.
Old 19 October 2019, 07:26 AM   #792
exador
Banned

The tide is definitely turning...

Old 19 October 2019, 07:29 AM   #793
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post
The markup still seems like a lot for a $9K watch.
Old 19 October 2019, 07:32 AM   #794
peterpl
Banned

It wont sell for $15k no way.

Selling private you'll get $13k-$14k max for this currently. The best gauge for price is a gray dealer. Ask them what they will offer and add 10-15% - that is what they are realistically selling for.
Old 19 October 2019, 07:33 AM   #795
chloebear
Banned

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Does anyone that won’t pay more than msrp ever get a hot watch?? Percentage wise, it’s got to be horrible odds getting a hot watch at msrp. I have 3 decades in the Rolex ownership and begrudgingly had a reality check that it’s never going back to the way it was. In 30 years that I have owned Rolex, it has never ever been close to what is going on now. It’s unprecedented, so how can anyone assume it will go back to the way it was?? Rolex is a trust and doesn’t have to bend to any finatual markets going up or down. The rules have changed and so have my strategies on how to buy a new Rolex. No one is going to “dump” for under market value. Market values are not going to go down by any signifigant rate. My only regret is I didn’t buy more Rolex watches in the 90’s.
You have a lot more experience than I do Mystro and I totally agree with what you are saying. It seems a lot of people are bent out of shape about paying over MSRP for the BLRO, but the prices for Daytonas and Hulks have stayed elevated for quite some time. I don't think there's any end in sight to these prices.

I don't blame anyone for holding out to get the watch they want at MSRP, but your options now are a very long wait or huge gray market premium. I visited multiple AD's in big cities this summer and they literally had zero stainless steel sports models, let alone the hot models. I think this is the new reality.
Old 19 October 2019, 07:33 AM   #796
eijiboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwer View Post
The markup still seems like a lot for a $9K watch.

A lot better than 18k. But let see if it drops more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19 October 2019, 07:34 AM   #797
ian.thomas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post
That's still 60% from MSRP, 50% accounting for [8.25%] sales tax.

You're asking me how a watch works. For now, let’s just keep an eye on the time.
Old 19 October 2019, 07:36 AM   #798
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
I do not have to "have" certain things right away.

How about practicing some restraint?
Old 19 October 2019, 07:47 AM   #799
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Your cherry picking THE lower price adds. The majority of offerings is north of $15k. There are a lot of “gently used” in there at $16,500 so no one is having a fire sale. A lot of Grey dealers have north of $13k in them and won’t be selling them lower than $14.5k and will just sit on them until they will sell and they will sell.
They did this with the Hulk. There is no rush with such inventory out there all mirroring each other’s prices. $14k is couch cushion money when they have Pateks in inventory at $90k and sits on them for 6 months.

Funny the passion and concern for other people’s disposable money on a luxury watch.

There is a lot of these as well.

Old 19 October 2019, 07:50 AM   #800
Drpepper
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well thats the thing now. My friend who was never really a watch guy just got caught up in the hype and managed to get a BLNR at MSRP

So the gray offered him $12.5k and another one offered even less at $12k. So his dilemma now is does he list it privately and start off at $14k and do "bumps" for months and months hoping to sell it for $13.5k himself or just get it over and done with and give it to the gray for $12k.

He doesnt want to hold it anymore because maybe by December grays are offering $11k and he's making peanuts now.

Similar trend I'm seeing in the classifieds. Continuous bumps for weeks or months and no sale and continuous price drops until someone who loves the watch enough will pay the premium.

I can only see the prices dropping for now. Just the hype is gone. That is what caused the craziness in the past but that hype is significantly down now.
This I don’t get. Why not just sell it to a forum member for 12k instead of a gray? Is selling to the gray easier or something?
Old 19 October 2019, 07:50 AM   #801
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Your cherry picking THE lower price adds. The majority of offerings is north of $15k. There are a lot of “gently used” in there at $16,500 so no one is having a fire sale. Funny the concern for other people’s disposable money on a luxury watch.

Yes there are lots of higher priced adverts but which seller will you engage if you want to buy a watch? The one asking $15k or the one asking $21k?

The market price is the clearing price, not the fantasy price from old adverts. The market price is falling IMO.

Old 19 October 2019, 07:52 AM   #802
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Your cherry picking THE lower price adds. The majority of offerings is north of $15k. There are a lot of “gently used” in there at $16,500 so no one is having a fire sale. A lot of Grey dealers have north of $13k in them and won’t be selling them lower than $14.5k and will just sit on them until they will sell and they will sell. They did this with the Hulk. Funny the passion and concern for other people’s disposable money on a luxury watch.

Those are fishing adds. Many dealers use this tactic to get potential customers to click their adds, call into the shop and get traffic generated. Common tactic used. They never move at those prices and havent for ages. One of them says $162,250. LOL
Old 19 October 2019, 07:54 AM   #803
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drpepper View Post
This I don’t get. Why not just sell it to a forum member for 12k instead of a gray? Is selling to the gray easier or something?
Of course it is. Simple, safe and easy. Ship it to them and get paid.

Selling privately big hassles, dont know who your dealing with. 1000s of timewasters and shitkickers. Not worth selling private most of the time
Old 19 October 2019, 07:59 AM   #804
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Just watch what DavidSW is doing with his prices. He’s a master at knowing the market now and 6 months from now. If you see him selling at $13k then that would be a real Canary in the coal mine of price direction. David is at $15.5k for new and he is as pro of a seller as there is in luxury watches.

The $20k+ prices on Chrono24 are negotiating prices and will sell at $16.5k to make you fell like you got a good deal in today’s’ market.
Old 19 October 2019, 08:33 AM   #805
eijiboy
Banned

Seems like buyers aren’t willing to pay 17k+ for the 126710 BLRO. What’s your hold

Quote:
Just watch what DavidSW is doing with his prices. He’s a master at knowing the market now and 6 months from now. If you see him selling at $13k then that would be a real Canary in the coal mine of price direction. David is at $15.5k for new and he is as pro of a seller as there is in luxury watches.

The $20k+ prices on Chrono24 are negotiating prices and will sell at $16.5k to make you fell like you got a good deal in today’s’ market.

Yeah right thats why he temporary close down his site during baselworld lol.
Besides anyone can price their own product. But the question is will it move. Thought davidsw is very trusted and thats the price you pay. Also you can still haggle on their price so it might be sold for less. But having someone that sells for less with good reference then i go to the best deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19 October 2019, 08:34 AM   #806
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drpepper View Post
Yes, I just sold a watch and didn’t even bother posting it, went straight to greys I know, no muss no fuss, I probably lost $500 but I wanted to move it fast and to someone who could send me a shipping label, way easier if your super busy

steve
Old 19 October 2019, 08:39 AM   #807
shawn13ca
"TRF" Member

Never more than MSRP.
Old 19 October 2019, 08:43 AM   #808
pepsiretail
Banned

Haha, all these pictures of the BLNR.

This forum is hilarious sometimes.
Old 19 October 2019, 08:50 AM   #809
peterpl
Banned

Quote:

Davids prices are always the highest out of all grays because you pay extra that he is very trusted and you know your not going to get scammed by him.

It doesnt reflect the majority of sales though.
Old 19 October 2019, 08:52 AM   #810
DJTOSUB
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This sums up the mess we are in today.
Closed Thread