The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 22 March 2016, 09:54 PM   #61
beer
"TRF" Member

Watch: all
why do vegans try to create substitutes to meat, using non-meat products (carrot bacon)?

if they truly don't like meat, there should be no craving to fill
just eat vegetables like a normal person and leave out the meat, and if there is a craving for meat, then eat meat
seems a bit strange to find loophopes to rules you imposed on yourself
Old 22 March 2016, 10:47 PM   #62
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer View Post
why do vegans try to create substitutes to meat, using non-meat products (carrot bacon)?

if they truly don't like meat, there should be no craving to fill
just eat vegetables like a normal person and leave out the meat, and if there is a craving for meat, then eat meat
seems a bit strange to find loophopes to rules you imposed on yourself
Everyone loves vegetarian Thanksgiving:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qvwfy0MVJw
Old 23 March 2016, 03:43 AM   #63
SearChart
TechXpert

Here's my vegan BBQ.
Greasy & sloppy, just the way I like it. 6 eggs and a pack of bacon. Oh yea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160322_182813359.jpg (104.3 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160322_183927110.jpg (84.0 KB, 145 views)
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2016, 05:39 AM   #64
ref1655
Banned

Watch: 1655/MkI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
That seems like an inherently antisocial behavior. I don' like meat, so you can't grill yours because I might be contaminated by the odors.

Is the association's charter so ill defined that a single complaint can change the quality of life for a whole community? (Apologize for the short hijack)
apparently so...glad I don't reside there.
ref1655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2016, 05:39 AM   #65
RichM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
"Where's The Beef"? Not for me. Sorry.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2016, 05:42 AM   #66
ref1655
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Here's my vegan BBQ.
Greasy & sloppy, just the way I like it. 6 eggs and a pack of bacon. Oh yea.
reminds me of a classic ranch-style breakfast...how's your cholesterol count?
Old 23 March 2016, 05:57 AM   #67
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref1655 View Post
reminds me of a classic ranch-style breakfast...how's your cholesterol count?
Cholesterol and bloodpressure are on the low side. I rarely eat this unhealthy and I do a lot of running. So it's all good
Old 23 March 2016, 05:23 PM   #68
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
We now seem to be seeing a revision of the 'fat is bad' mantra in favour of the 'sugar is bad' one.
Health authorities now seem to think that a moderate amount of fat in a balanced diet with sensible portion sizes is fine. Underline "sensible".
Sugar on the other hand has been present in large quantities in so many foods, particularly drinks, for many decades.
To think I have been on a low fat diet for 30 years and it wasn't necessary and had minimal effect on my cholesterol!

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2016, 07:19 PM   #69
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
We now seem to be seeing a revision of the 'fat is bad' mantra in favour of the 'sugar is bad' one.
Health authorities now seem to think that a moderate amount of fat in a balanced diet with sensible portion sizes is fine. Underline "sensible".
Sugar on the other hand has been present in large quantities in so many foods, particularly drinks, for many decades.
To think I have been on a low fat diet for 30 years and it wasn't necessary and had minimal effect on my cholesterol!
If you want to grow well marbled beef, drop the fats and protein down and increase carbs to 90% of their feed. So, if you want a well marbled (fat) human, feed him high levels of carbs.

The low fat mantra led to a high carbohydrate processed food diet that substituted sugars for the missing flavors provided by fats. If you look at the ingredients of most of the "low fat" processed foods you will find a carbohydrate substitute.

Humans weren't designed to have a constant high carbohydrate diet, they were designed to have a well balanced mixture of raw foods, including some meat based proteins. Science is now showing that unprocessed dairy fats, fat in egg yolks, and other formerly evil fats are actually good for you (in moderation). That ribeye isn't really bad for you either, as long as it's a part of a balanced diet, and not the entire diet.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2016, 07:25 PM   #70
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6

I'll try a little bit of it once. I've had a vegetarian burger years ago and have not repeated it since.
DCgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2016, 07:01 AM   #71
ref1655
Banned

Quote:
Humans weren't designed to have a constant high carbohydrate diet, they were designed to have a well balanced mixture of raw foods, including some meat based proteins. Science is now showing that unprocessed dairy fats, fat in egg yolks, and other formerly evil fats are actually good for you (in moderation). That ribeye isn't really bad for you either, as long as it's a part of a balanced diet, and not the entire diet.
+1...the excessive use/intake of salt is probably more of a health concern. as an additive/flavor enhancer, it's in just about everything we consume.

unfortunately, most 'low-salt' alternatives tend to be lacking in flavor & taste.
Old 24 March 2016, 07:05 AM   #72
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
in Chinese we have saying and it goes "mock foo fong pay" translated in english this means to take your pants off to fart, but the meaning of this is "whats the point?"

no offense to anyone that is a vegan but the idea of smoking Tofu is just not BBQ!
boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2016, 12:57 PM   #73
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiebot View Post
in Chinese we have saying and it goes "mock foo fong pay" translated in english this means to take your pants off to fart, but the meaning of this is "whats the point?"
Thanks for the laugh. That's hilarious.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2016, 12:57 PM   #74
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
Thanks for the laugh. That's hilarious.

Anytime my friend.
Old 24 March 2016, 01:39 PM   #75
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by landroverking View Post
I had Hindu friend that loved the old McDonald fries.
Then he found out they were cooked in animal fat. That killed his Taste for their fries. Understandable.
McDonalds stopped using animal fat decades ago - the exact time they became flavorless.
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2016, 01:44 PM   #76
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Vegan Barbecue...can't wait

None for me thanks. Not sure with what or how you make Vegan BBQ but the sound of it kinda freaks me out...

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2016, 03:42 PM   #77
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiebot View Post
Boogie - In Australia we have a saying and it goes "Never trust a Fart". The meaning of this becomes clearer as you get older.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2016, 07:26 PM   #78
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr-nyc View Post
McDonalds stopped using animal fat decades ago - the exact time they became flavorless.
Flavorless, but immortal.

About 10 years ago I dropped a couple fries behind the back seat of my truck. I became distracted and didn't clean up when I got wherever I was going. I pulled the jack out last year and the fries were still there, and in pristine condition. A little hard to the touch, but looked fresh enough.

I don't know if McD fries are vegan, but they do seem to last forever.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2016, 04:50 AM   #79
ref1655
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr-nyc View Post
yep...McDonald's was using beef tallow (the stuff used to make candles) to fry their French fries. it made for a crispier outer fry & fluffy interior. that & an excessive use of salt made McDonald's fries popular at the time.
Old 25 March 2016, 05:36 AM   #80
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:

About 10 years ago I dropped a couple fries behind the back seat of my truck. I became distracted and didn't clean up when I got wherever I was going. I pulled the jack out last year and the fries were still there, and in pristine condition. A little hard to the touch, but looked fresh enough.

I've heard stories about that before, they must do something unhealthy to keep them from rotting away. I don't like their fries though, they use way too much salt. I prefer making my own burger and slicing my own fries. That way I can control the ingredients and it tastes a lot better too.
Old 25 March 2016, 06:08 AM   #81
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
I've heard stories about that before, they must do something unhealthy to keep them from rotting away. I don't like their fries though, they use way too much salt. I prefer making my own burger and slicing my own fries. That way I can control the ingredients and it tastes a lot better too.
And that would seem kind of unnecessary considering how fast they go through French fries. In 'n Out Burger dices the raw whole potato in each store. They don't sit around very long before they are in someone's belly.

It makes me think McDonalds is throwing crap in the fries just for sport.
Old 25 March 2016, 06:48 AM   #82
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Ferguson View Post
And that would seem kind of unnecessary considering how fast they go through French fries. In 'n Out Burger dices the raw whole potato in each store. They don't sit around very long before they are in someone's belly.

It makes me think McDonalds is throwing crap in the fries just for sport.
You're right, it is completely unnecessary. I don't understand it either, they so actively try to show the world that they use real ingredients and somehow make fries that last forever, doesn't make any sense.
Old 25 March 2016, 02:55 PM   #83
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Boogie - In Australia we have a saying and it goes "Never trust a Fart". The meaning of this becomes clearer as you get older.

Looks like our cultures share similar views.
Old 25 March 2016, 03:04 PM   #84
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:

I believe they're dehydrated potatoes.
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2016, 10:35 PM   #85
Dyim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
meanwhile on the vegan front...a colleague at work received a complaint from his homeowner's association after smoking/grilling some baby-back ribs this past weekend. apparently the new upstairs residents are devoted vegans & they complained about the meat-infused smoke. one even went to urgent care citing nausea & light-headedness. it was later diagnosed as a psychosomatic food allergy of sorts.

as a result, his homeowner's association will be holding a special meeting to establish barbecue timeframes & protocols for the upcoming summer months. with days getting longer, this going to be interesting and possibly constraining for those who like to entertain or simply 'Q' when the mood hits them.
That's some serious tree hugging behaviour here. It is not like tobacco smoke! Do they drive a Prius also?

Don't knock the vegan bbq until you tried it. You never know.

Just for kicks, I would bring some meat in a cooler and tell them you are allergic to vegetables and is a straight carnivore. And you need your own special area of the grill to prevent cross contamination.
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2016, 10:38 PM   #86
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Sorry friend... I'd peck at everything and stop at Burger King on the way home :)
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2016, 11:24 PM   #87
Mr Daytona
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai
My step daughter is a vegetarian and it is the most annoying crap ever. My tolerance for it is pretty much zero at this point. If you want to eat nothing but vegetables that's fine but stop acting like that fake tofu burger is just soooooooooooooooo good and you are soooooooooooooooo enlightened. Here in the South we eat meat and we BBQ all year long. I just don't get it and I don't want to.
Mr Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2016, 06:01 AM   #88
smak
Banned

lol this thread is such a stereotype of grumpy old rolex owners.

let your freak flag fly OP, haters gonna hate.
smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2016, 04:35 AM   #89
ref1655
Banned

all things must pass & I survived this foray into alternative barbecuing.

the libations were vegetarian in nature...with pony kegs of Newcastle, Amstel Light & Heineken + some nice Napa Valley Cabernets & Merlots.

as far as vegan barbecuing goes, the key is utilizing a creative approach to seasoning & marinades. there's not a whole lot one can do with tofu so it takes some imagination.

like Chinese food, chances are you will be hungry a few hours later...not a problem, just partake in what you are accustomed to eating after you get home.

btw, some of these vegan 'chicks' are pretty hot...the older ones not so much.
Old 28 March 2016, 06:42 AM   #90
FWK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
although I have gone vegetarian for short periods of time (like 1-2 days)
LOL! Come on now. A good and varried diet only consists of meat 1 or two times a week. It's really not that good for you.
FWK is offline   Reply With Quote