The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 25 February 2024, 01:23 AM   #61
Bmats
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azhiker54 View Post
Sorry, DC is a crime infested cesspool! No law, when ppl do get caught, the liberal elected judges and da’s let them go. This is not my opinion, its a FACT!
DC superior court judges are not elected. They are appointed by the President and confirmed by the Senate. There is a nominating commission, sort of taking the place of Senators since DC has none.
Old 25 February 2024, 02:09 AM   #62
whatsthetime?
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
It's not an opinion, statistics prove crime is down in the US.
Statistics? Just take a look around--do you really believe crime is down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTG View Post
Which statistics? Prosecutions and convictions have decreased greatly. Reported crime however is not down at all.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomInNJ View Post
Crime reporting is down because reporting crime is futile in major cities where it won't be prosecuted. In California, they will not prosecute shoplifting under $1k, so shoplifting under $1k doesn't get reported, and some claim that shows crime is going down. That's obvious nonsense.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by S’portEye View Post
I don’t care what you put up. I’m seeing it get worse with my own eyes. Statistics are very easily manipulated, and none of what you put up has to do with DC anyway.
+1
Old 25 February 2024, 02:18 AM   #63
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTG View Post
That explains the “shots fired”

Shots were not fired

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25 February 2024, 02:19 AM   #64
Watch-Geek
2024 Pledge Member

As they say: There is truth, there are lies and then there are statistics!

Sent from my SM-A415F using Tapatalk
Old 25 February 2024, 02:24 AM   #65
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
I don't care what you put up. I’m seeing it get worse with my own eyes. Statistics are very easily manipulated, and none of what you put up has to do with DC anyway.
That says all we need to know.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Old 25 February 2024, 02:26 AM   #66
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don’t care what you put up. I’m seeing it get worse with my own eyes. Statistics are very easily manipulated, and none of what you put up has to do with DC anyway.

What are you seeing though? Are you out pounding the pavement seeing actual crime though or are you seeing crime reports in the media ( those can’t possibly be skewed)?

Hell the fact that people are still parroting the “shots fired” part deep into the thread shows what exaggerated reporting can do.

I live in DC, and this is my AD. There might not be a safer commercial area of the district than this. I’ll probably go back soon.

I will say some crime in DC is up. Which is somewhat different than a lot of other cities. But is crime up in a way that is having a meaningful impact on the type of person that participates in the Rolex Forum? Probably not.
Old 25 February 2024, 02:30 AM   #67
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh03j View Post
Let me first say, I live in DC and this is the AD I frequent. I'm glad no one was hurt. I've lived in DC since 2007, and crime is very much a huge issue for the city.

As to suggesting that crime is up is an opinion not backed by evidence, perhaps across the US crime is down, but in DC crime is up, and it is up significantly. Most notably murders and carjackings. Living here the feeling is quite palpable that ordinary citizens are fed up with the crime and lack of accountability for criminals.

So as to provide evidence of crime in DC (the point of this article). Murders in 2023 were up 30% over the previous year, which was up over 20% from 2021. In 2012 there were less than 100 murders in DC, and 2023 ended with 274, so in 11 years the number of murders has tripled. Things have backslid a long, long way regarding public safety and holding criminals responsible as a deterrent. Carjackings up 2X from 2023 to 2022 with nearly 1,000 carjackings. There is an air of impunity from criminals due to light sentencing, plea bargaining of gun crimes to lesser crimes, and no-papering of many property crimes. Also a general no-chase policy for police dictated by the City Council (that may be loosening with the latest DC crime bill that has been passed).
Thank you. If there is one thing I find annoying in this thread is people from other parts of the country who don't go to DC, have never lived there, have never worked here, rarely even visited, telling us folks in the MD/DC/VA how wonderful everything is in DC and how this stat or that stat show how totally safe it is. I worked there for 20+ years and the deterioration in safety and increase in nuisance and violent crimes in previously "safe" areas of the city is obvious to anyone with eyes and feet on the ground. Carjackings and violent assaults are everywhere now, day and night. Homeless are all over. It has become rare to walk anywhere outside the heavily guarded federal areas and not deal with panhandling and mentally unstable homeless. The subway system that way back when was the pride and joy of the metro area is now a place where most of my coworkers won't even venture to anymore. My office is right near Nationals Stadium and what was safe 10 years ago now has murders and carjackings left and right. Please don't tell us locals how safe and secure it is in Washington and shower us with statistics when we see the deterioration with our own eyes on a daily basis.
Old 25 February 2024, 02:53 AM   #68
rom33
2024 Pledge Member

Crime statistics???
San Francisco Union Square is an abandoned shell of what used to be the best U.S. city. I visit several times each year. Less open retail business, less conventions at Moscone Center, more homeless.
I believe what I see.
Old 25 February 2024, 02:54 AM   #69
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
What are you seeing though? Are you out pounding the pavement seeing actual crime though or are you seeing crime reports in the media ( those can’t possibly be skewed)?

Hell the fact that people are still parroting the “shots fired” part deep into the thread shows what exaggerated reporting can do.

I live in DC, and this is my AD. There might not be a safer commercial area of the district than this. I’ll probably go back soon.

I will say some crime in DC is up. Which is somewhat different than a lot of other cities. But is crime up in a way that is having a meaningful impact on the type of person that participates in the Rolex Forum? Probably not.

I can’t help you see it. Just open your eyes.
Old 25 February 2024, 02:58 AM   #70
ClintonM3
"TRF" Member

Wow, political talk with a bunch of Self assuring "i am right" Rolex Bros is really fun. A crown for every argument.
Old 25 February 2024, 03:27 AM   #71
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintonM3 View Post
Wow, political talk with a bunch of Self assuring "i am right" Rolex Bros is really fun. A crown for every argument.
Mods, please close this thread. It started with a hyperbolic title which was not true and has devolved into a political diatribe about how dystopian things are. I am grateful to be living a good life full of joy and hope instead of always finding something negative to dwell on.
Old 25 February 2024, 03:39 AM   #72
Zach69SS
"TRF" Member

Did they tell the robbers that the Rolexes are for display only?
Old 25 February 2024, 03:48 AM   #73
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
Mods, please close this thread. It started with a hyperbolic title which was not true and has devolved into a political diatribe about how dystopian things are. I am grateful to be living a good life full of joy and hope instead of always finding something negative to dwell on.

Agreed. And these folks from the suburbs claiming they have witnessed tons of violent crimes. Probably all live in Arlington.
Old 25 February 2024, 05:07 AM   #74
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
You want it closed now that you got to comment?
Old 25 February 2024, 05:26 AM   #75
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinnakeet View Post
You want it closed now that you got to comment?

lol! Right?!

Old 25 February 2024, 05:32 AM   #76
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomInNJ View Post
Crime reporting is down because reporting crime is futile in major cities where it won't be prosecuted. In California, they will not prosecute shoplifting under $1k, so shoplifting under $1k doesn't get reported, and some claim that shows crime is going down. That's obvious nonsense.

100% this

Anyone that thinks crime is down the last few years has their head in the sand.

Crime reporting and prosecuting is what is down. They are cooking the books.

I live in a downtown city center and we all see it. Even though some want to tell us not to believe our lying eyes.

Can’t gaslight me on this subject

Old 25 February 2024, 05:43 AM   #77
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Sad to see and you have to feel for the staff that will have been traumatised with the raid
Old 25 February 2024, 05:46 AM   #78
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996marty View Post
Sad to see and you have to feel for the staff that will have been traumatised with the raid

Plus, it’s bad press for the family owned business. Some customers will think twice about going there.

Old 25 February 2024, 05:53 AM   #79
stormshadow
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Agreed. And these folks from the suburbs claiming they have witnessed tons of violent crimes. Probably all live in Arlington.

I laughed at this one, best comment yet and there is a lot of crazy talk in this thread.

Stay safe out there and please stop buying into the, “D.C. is an unsafe place” narrative.

As mentioned by others and myself numerous times, this can happen anywhere.
Old 25 February 2024, 06:02 AM   #80
JoseR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King, Omega AT
It's not only in DC, but also happening all over the country. I live in Philly, so I see crime on the news every day. They need to put these fools in jail and stop slapping them on the wrist and sending them out on the streets again.
Old 25 February 2024, 06:08 AM   #81
colonelpurple
2024 Pledge Member

very sad

looking from the UK, and monitoring news in the US I have definitely noticed a deterioration since 2020.
We have had our own deterioration in London, but that is mostly down to the major ...

In the UK it has always been proportional to police "on the beat" vs punishment. If the legal system lets off people for minor demeanors and there are not enough police around this is a bad combination
Old 25 February 2024, 06:13 AM   #82
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
The Cartier boutique in Toronto had a smash and grab back in December. I was in this boutique a few days ago. Logistically , I don’t know how they pulled this off. Yorkdale Mall is in a safe area. But being in Canada the stores are not as protected as what I see in Fla.
Old 25 February 2024, 06:18 AM   #83
GBD
"TRF" Member

The post-pandemic recovery has been very uneven, and some cities are still dealing with elevated crime rates, but it's down nationwide.

If you live your life only believing what you can see with your own eyes, the world becomes a very small, boring place.
Old 25 February 2024, 06:26 AM   #84
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Rolex AD in Washington DC robbed at gunpoint

Let’s look at facts. This was not a store that was “robbed at gunpoint” or robbed at all, and shots were not fired. These guys broke an exterior window and stole the stuff behind it.
And then using the full on misinformation to then talk about violent crime, which this definitely was not.

This is a crime definitely. And it’s worrisome that it happened in broad daylight.

But it’s just like the news reporting. Take something that has a bit of truth, then over exaggerate or flat out misrepresent the facts to bring out the pearl clutchers.
Old 25 February 2024, 06:58 AM   #85
mlh03j
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Let’s look at facts. This was not a store that was “robbed at gunpoint” or robbed at all, and shots were not fired. These guys broke an exterior window and stole the stuff behind it.
And then using the full on misinformation to then talk about violent crime, which this definitely was not.

This is a crime definitely. And it’s worrisome that it happened in broad daylight.

But it’s just like the news reporting. Take something that has a bit of truth, then over exaggerate or flat out misrepresent the facts to bring out the pearl clutchers.
It's odd you focus on misinformation. As I noted in a post above, violent crime in DC is objectively rising over the last few years. Your focus on the legal definition of "robbery" seems pedantic to the issue at hand. Would you prefer this crime be characterized as a larceny? What would be the point of the legal characterization - it does nothing to make people feel safer. When criminals use tools to break open hardened glass windows, whether the crime is defined as larceny or robbery is not relevant. The facts are violent and non-violent crime in DC has risen.

The police statistics support this observation notwithstanding MPD reticence to document criminal activity. I have experienced firsthand a reluctance from MPD to characterize criminal activity lest it be reported and negatively impact MPD's crime clearance rate. MPD is dismal at clearing even the most violent crimes let alone property crimes - e.g. 2023 clearance rate of the 274 murders stands at 52% That's not even considering adjudication once the defendants are tried. Too suggest DC crime is exaggerated and not an actual issue is myopic and simply not the reality on the ground.
Old 25 February 2024, 07:30 AM   #86
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

The crime was described as “robbed at gunpoint” and “shots fired.” You really think it’s pedantic to say that’s a *lot* different than what actually happened? Armed robbery and burglary are worlds apart.

I said crime was up. But an increase in crime rate, and the dystopian hellscape people are describing is just not the case. Especially for the folks on this forum.
If people on here were living in Southeast, where the brunt of this crime increase is actually happening, I would maybe take the talk seriously. But they aren’t. I’d actually be curious as to how many folks who are talking here actually live in the District.

I live right off of Georgia Ave, which is the carjacking corridor according to the news. I feel perfectly safe. My quality of life is good. And other than being a bit more cautious, I go about my life.

As for the people who tell me they have seen it with their own eyes, have you actually been the victim of a violent crime? Have you spoken to someone directly about how they have been the victim of a violent crime? Have you actually witnessed a violent crime? If the answers to the questions are no, what in the world are you talking about then?

And to the Mods, I agree with the previous request to take this down. Or at least change the title which is a complete fabrication

Old 25 February 2024, 07:40 AM   #87
mlh03j
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The crime was described as “robbed at gunpoint” and “shots fired.” You really think it’s pedantic to say that’s a *lot* different than what actually happened? Armed robbery and burglary are worlds apart.

Lol, you do you, bro. Armed robbery and burglary/larceny are not worlds apart in most people's view. The average person doesn't care that a weapon or force was used when their property is taken by a criminal against their will. Keep safe.
Old 25 February 2024, 08:20 AM   #88
LndLord
"TRF" Member

sad, I heard so many positive reviews about this place. Really hate when things like this happen
Old 25 February 2024, 08:22 AM   #89
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I think fewer and fewer stores will be putting expensive inventory on display in their store windows. It is a practice that is no longer safe in this day and age. Used to love looking in store windows in NYC with all those watches on display along Madison and Fifth Avenues.
Old 25 February 2024, 08:27 AM   #90
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh03j View Post
Lol, you do you, bro. Armed robbery and burglary/larceny are not worlds apart in most people's view. The average person doesn't care that a weapon or force was used when their property is taken by a criminal against their will. Keep safe.

You’re really saying pulling a gun and firing bullets into a store is the same as breaking a window and grabbing stuff?

I think most people would make a distinction. And I know the people in the store make a distinction because I texted the SA I work with after it happened.

You can say, “you do you” all you want. The description in the OP is an out and out lie. All the pearl clutching in the world won’t change that.

Closed Thread