The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 8 June 2016, 05:07 PM   #61
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
My gut says that the enamel dial is a pain in the ....to manufacture and hence they just make fewer. Why would anyone stop the 5131G after such a short production run when it was drop dead gorgeous!! Most of this is marketing just like you have to meet PP for an interview for some of their watches ha ha...they put Riyadh, Mecca and Beirut on dials just to move them....
Yeah always found the "interview" part to be quite incredible, I would be ok to talk to the AD, but going to Geneva for an interview???? At the same time it could be cool meeting with Thierry, getting to know what new models they will release for the 40th of the Nautilus

I agree, really I wouldn't be a fan of having Riyadh or Mecca on the dial, some saudis are great people, but not a huge fan of their social, politic and economic policies, I am serious, not in the business for a WT but that would bother me a bit, your incoming WT is a stunner though, I'm not a WT or chrono fan but the 2 on this one just work perfectly...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2016, 05:39 PM   #62
clintfca
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP, Omega
Quote:
My gut says that the enamel dial is a pain in the ....to manufacture and hence they just make fewer. Why would anyone stop the 5131G after such a short production run when it was drop dead gorgeous!! Most of this is marketing just like you have to meet PP for an interview for some of their watches ha ha...they put Riyadh, Mecca and Beirut on dials just to move them....
Read an article some time ago on enamel dials and how the artisan has to painstakingly paint each individual color, bake it, repeat. Cracks can occur during the baking process and if so the entire dial gets thrown out.

I don't have the money to play in the secondary 5131 field so I never understood the allure but after reading that article I was like damn well respecting those dials from then on.
clintfca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2016, 06:27 PM   #63
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
No, one member got his first and only Patek a 5131, he waited 8 years I think, met the AD many times and was lucky enough for the AD to push him through and for Patek to answer favourably.
I'm that lucky guy.

Quote:
We going a bit off thread here. Firstly LE are allocated by Geneva. This is not a LE! However when Geneva allocate to AD's they do it as an AD allocation. They don't always get involved in the underlying Buyer. So yes it is possible for a first time Patek owner to get a 5131 if Geneva thought a specific AD deserved 1 and he was the preferred customer there.
Clearly this being my first Patek many of you guys have a much better handle on the process and which watches are LE and what this means etc etc.

To the OP, I would depending on your AD and the relationship hang in there for the moment.

A brief history of my purchase. I placed my order back in 2008 for a G, I went to my local family run AD (never purchased from them) and asked to go on their list. They had an order for a J already but mine was the first for a G (J arrived in late 2009). Being a new client they asked some pertinent questions, what other watches did I have, was I local, what were my intentions for the watch etc etc and then simply said yes no problem 'we will put your name forward to Patek'. Now this is where I'm not sure about the usual process and what happened to me - I never received anything from the AD to confirm the order but instead an email from Patek to say I was on the list for a G via the AD. Fast forward to 2015, the G was discontinued and the R introduced (actually my favourite metal), AD and Patek representative at the London Exhibition (http://www.patek.com/en/communicatio...in-london-2015) asked if I was happy to stay on Pateks list for the R instead of the G (yes of course) and so time marched on to January this year when out of the blue I got the call. But, again not sure if this is normal, the call was from the AD to say 'I' had got my allocation and the watch would be leaving Geneva that week 'if' I was in a position to proceed - if not the AD wouldn't receive the watch and Patek would allocate it to another customer via another AD. It would seem depending on the AD (maybe size related) that indeed Patek does exercise direct control over the list for the 5131?

I have nothing but praise for my AD, they were very open throughout the 8 year period that I had little chance of getting the piece but that they would remain positive and that there was absolutely no reason to buy other Patek pieces (not that I was realistically in a position to buy favour) - indeed I attended many events as their guest (still never purchased anything at this point). The final icing on the cake was when I received the allocation call - I had throughout the process mentioned at every occasion that I would love to collect the watch from Geneva if I ever got an allocation. So what do you think the dealer also offered when he phoned to give me the news - they would like to fly my wife and I to Geneva as their guests to collect the watch from the Salon, out to lunch at a superb restaurant and a visit to the museum!

Dreams do come true!

http://www.parkhousethejeweller.com/...k-client-trip/

My 5131R.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5131R_Master_ipad_pro.jpg (143.7 KB, 255 views)
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2016, 07:10 PM   #64
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
I'm that lucky guy.

Clearly this being my first Patek many of you guys have a much better handle on the process and which watches are LE and what this means etc etc.

To the OP, I would depending on your AD and the relationship hang in there for the moment.

A brief history of my purchase. I placed my order back in 2008 for a G, I went to my local family run AD (never purchased from them) and asked to go on their list. They had an order for a J already but mine was the first for a G (J arrived in late 2009). Being a new client they asked some pertinent questions, what other watches did I have, was I local, what were my intentions for the watch etc etc and then simply said yes no problem 'we will put your name forward to Patek'. Now this is where I'm not sure about the usual process and what happened to me - I never received anything from the AD to confirm the order but instead an email from Patek to say I was on the list for a G via the AD. Fast forward to 2015, the G was discontinued and the R introduced (actually my favourite metal), AD and Patek representative at the London Exhibition (http://www.patek.com/en/communicatio...in-london-2015) asked if I was happy to stay on Pateks list for the R instead of the G (yes of course) and so time marched on to January this year when out of the blue I got the call. But, again not sure if this is normal, the call was from the AD to say 'I' had got my allocation and the watch would be leaving Geneva that week 'if' I was in a position to proceed - if not the AD wouldn't receive the watch and Patek would allocate it to another customer via another AD. It would seem depending on the AD (maybe size related) that indeed Patek does exercise direct control over the list for the 5131?

I have nothing but praise for my AD, they were very open throughout the 8 year period that I had little chance of getting the piece but that they would remain positive and that there was absolutely no reason to buy other Patek pieces (not that I was realistically in a position to buy favour) - indeed I attended many events as their guest (still never purchased anything at this point). The final icing on the cake was when I received the allocation call - I had throughout the process mentioned at every occasion that I would love to collect the watch from Geneva if I ever got an allocation. So what do you think the dealer also offered when he phoned to give me the news - they would like to fly my wife and I to Geneva as their guests to collect the watch from the Salon, out to lunch at a superb restaurant and a visit to the museum!

Dreams do come true!

My 5131R.
Cant tell you the whole story but PM'd you.
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2016, 07:14 PM   #65
KarlS
Banned

When I read Russell996 story this is exactly what lapince was saying regarding multiple allocations...its a delight to see someone new to the brand who hung in for 8 years and relishes every moment of wearing a fine watch...I wish (and told them) that it would be far more appreciated than selling to collectors as a thank you for patronage and letting them sit in safes or get flipped the next day...just like seeing 3, 5575's all double sealed in a grey dealers window in HK. Got my goat!!
Old 8 June 2016, 09:57 PM   #66
Jetkopite
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5131R,6263,5712T
Quote:
I'm that lucky guy.

Dreams do come true!

My 5131R.
Thats a great story and a very fortunate one, dreams do come true it seems.. Nothing wrong with that at all as there nothing wrong with Patek allocating WT 5131 to the same collector who has spent millions on Pateks.

As far as that trade ive gone cold on the idea of trading my 5980R and 5712 plus wooping amount of cash for a 5131J. If a better deal comes then I may think about it again..

Who knows my dream might come true and I get one a little over retail one day but not holding breath. For now I will admire the World out of the window of my B777 flight deck as I fly over it and one day when I am retired look down at my 5131 World enamel dial..
Jetkopite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2016, 10:00 PM   #67
Jetkopite
"TRF" Member

Quote:
When I read Russell996 story this is exactly what lapince was saying regarding multiple allocations...its a delight to see someone new to the brand who hung in for 8 years and relishes every moment of wearing a fine watch...I wish (and told them) that it would be far more appreciated than selling to collectors as a thank you for patronage and letting them sit in safes or get flipped the next day...just like seeing 3, 5575's all double sealed in a grey dealers window in HK. Got my goat!!
Well said my friend.. Love seeing people appreciate that and other rare amazing Pateks, they surely deserve it..
Old 9 June 2016, 12:25 AM   #68
Dr C
Banned

Watch: Patek & Rolex
Quote:
I'm that lucky guy.

Dreams do come true!

My 5131R.
Great story! Very lucky indeed. Enjoy the R it is an absolute beauty!
Dr C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2016, 01:25 AM   #69
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
I'm that lucky guy.

Dreams do come true!

My 5131R.
Wonderful story. Thank you for sharing it. Your watch is beautiful!
Old 9 June 2016, 05:48 AM   #70
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetkopite View Post
Thats a great story and a very fortunate one, dreams do come true it seems.. Nothing wrong with that at all as there nothing wrong with Patek allocating WT 5131 to the same collector who has spent millions on Pateks.

As far as that trade ive gone cold on the idea of trading my 5980R and 5712 plus wooping amount of cash for a 5131J. If a better deal comes then I may think about it again..
Well one but 3 is a little much, I am sure many deserving Patek clients wanted that watch or like Russel guys who are passionate about it, and I have a hard time understanding the almost same watch, slightly different dials and metal in a collection, with these types of watches I think it would be more normal once a collector has gotten one to give the others to another collector or lover of that model, I mean the difference between the G, J and R is quite tiny...

OP, try to find an AD who will put you on the list for one when there is no one, you need to be in first place, then maybe if ever they make a pt version you would get it, that would b the best strategy IMO, small success rate but you never know, it worked for Russell
Old 9 June 2016, 07:19 AM   #71
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm that lucky guy.

So what do you think the dealer also offered when he phoned to give me the news - they would like to fly my wife and I to Geneva as their guests to collect the watch from the Salon, out to lunch at a superb restaurant and a visit to the museum!

Dreams do come true!

My 5131R.
Yeah I know you're the guy, but what I didn't know is that they flew you to Geneva trip and hotel offered, this is really amazing, I'm glad do are great, I am starting to work with an AD from Switzerland, have 3 watches ordered, 2 coming in within 2 and 4 months, and the third is anyone's guess, it is quite coveted, ok not as much as the 5131, but he put me in a good spot on the list, I would guess 2-4th place as I am getting 2 pieces from him, have made a deposit, he told me he cold do this, but that if I wanted that piece first he would put me on a nice spot as I am recommended by a mutual friend, a TRF member, if not him I wold clearly not be able to get 2 of these as in France they don't even put you on the lists, they are too long, and even when they weren't, 2 years ago I asked to be put on it for a 5712, they said yes, took my coordinates, never heard from them again, the watch market may be soft for some brands or models, even Patek ones, but others are really hot, selling for retail or even more than retail when new on grey market, since I am getting a great price, about 10% off with the tax refund, there is no way I am going with the grey market on this one, sure I'll have to ay the trip there and a few days in CH, but will still come out winning financially...
Old 9 June 2016, 05:54 PM   #72
Jetkopite
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Exactly

Well one but 3 is a little much, I am sure many deserving Patek clients wanted that watch or like Russel guys who are passionate about it, and I have a hard time understanding the almost same watch, slightly different dials and metal in a collection, with these types of watches I think it would be more normal once a collector has gotten one to give the others to another collector or lover of that model, I mean the difference between the G, J and R is quite tiny...

OP, try to find an AD who will put you on the list for one when there is no one, you need to be in first place, then maybe if ever they make a pt version you would get it, that would b the best strategy IMO, small success rate but you never know, it worked for Russell
Hey I agree with you a little as I am desperate to get my hands on one BUT having only bought a 5980R and 5712 be it sealed on my name I still dont think I should get priority ahead of someone who spent many millions with patek irrespective of how many he has...

I will keep trying to get hold of one as it means alot to me this piece as I fly around the World with my job BUT I am sure anyone who wants one has their own reason for wanting such an amazing piece... Impossible is nothing as they say
Old 12 June 2016, 02:32 AM   #73
TimeOnHand
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Air-King
Hey mate... I know how long you have been considering this beautiful WT.... It's an awesome watch for sure.... however, I just refuse to pay such heavy premiums to these Grey Dealers bro!
Old 15 June 2016, 01:04 AM   #74
Jetkopite
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeOnHand View Post
Hey mate... I know how long you have been considering this beautiful WT.... It's an awesome watch for sure.... however, I just refuse to pay such heavy premiums to these Grey Dealers bro!
I agree with you Kevin, unless its a great deal then I cant really justify it..
Old 17 June 2016, 01:39 AM   #75
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Yeah always found the "interview" part to be quite incredible, I would be ok to talk to the AD, but going to Geneva for an interview???? At the same time it could be cool meeting with Thierry, getting to know what new models they will release for the 40th of the Nautilus
I'm at Patek right now and most of the guys in my group asked about getting a 5131R. I asked about getting one about a year ago from my AD. I think it really does help if you go on a client visit.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2016, 04:03 AM   #76
KarlS
Banned

My place on the list is "date not yet determined but a very long wait"" ha ha that means 5131R will be discontinued. A 5131P commencing and discontinued and a branch new WT to be launched. Perfect!
Old 17 June 2016, 01:44 PM   #77
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
I'm at Patek right now and most of the guys in my group asked about getting a 5131R. I asked about getting one about a year ago from my AD. I think it really does help if you go on a client visit.
I hope you can get the 5131 soon. It must have been nice to be invited to visit and tour the Patek HQ. Was this coordinated through your AD? I think it definitely helps to have a good relationship with your AD and to meet some Patek insiders on a site visit.

Just out of curiosity, did Patek say anything about their Nautilus 40th year anniversary?
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2016, 05:35 PM   #78
Jetkopite
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My place on the list is "date not yet determined but a very long wait"" ha ha that means 5131R will be discontinued. A 5131P commencing and discontinued and a branch new WT to be launched. Perfect!
Looks like 5131R is really mission impossible for us normal collectors unless we are willing to pay over 110K US for one..: dummy:
Old 17 June 2016, 05:45 PM   #79
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Looks like 5131R is really mission impossible for us normal collectors unless we are willing to pay over 110K US for one..: dummy:
I keep praying they will relaunch the 5575
Old 17 June 2016, 07:09 PM   #80
Jetkopite
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thats a stunner too I must say..
Old 18 June 2016, 12:23 PM   #81
codecow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
I hope you can get the 5131 soon. It must have been nice to be invited to visit and tour the Patek HQ. Was this coordinated through your AD? I think it definitely helps to have a good relationship with your AD and to meet some Patek insiders on a site visit.

Just out of curiosity, did Patek say anything about their Nautilus 40th year anniversary?
Yes it was a tour coordinated by Patek USA and my AD, it was awesome. If you have the opportunity to go to Geneva and tour the factory you will gain a new appreciation for the watches and the people who make them.

Patek did have a few surprises that they told us about but I'm sworn to secrecy.
Old 18 June 2016, 12:35 PM   #82
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes it was a tour coordinated by Patek USA and my AD, it was awesome. If you have the opportunity to go to Geneva and tour the factory you will gain a new appreciation for the watches and the people who make them.

Patek did have a few surprises that they told us about but I'm sworn to secrecy.
Ok, you have 3 days or will be banned from the forum, start talking
Old 18 June 2016, 12:38 PM   #83
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You know I asked my AD if he could get me one, he told me yeah, 2 to 3 years, but I am getting 2 watches this year from him and 1 in 2017, a hard one to get, not as hard as the 5131 but not easy, especially in Europe, but since I am getting these 2, and am paying him upfront for both, he put me on a good spot for the "hard one to get"...
Old 18 June 2016, 01:33 PM   #84
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:

You have a heavy burden to carry! 😉

I'd be interested to know if the surprises / secrets turn out to be true. 👍
Old 18 June 2016, 04:34 PM   #85
Chasseur
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I hope for you but...

Chasseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2016, 05:47 PM   #86
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasseur View Post
I hope for you but...

only consolation it has Moscow in the wrong place and thus wrong 100% of the year and has it doesn't recognize daylight saving it's wrong 50% of the year and it has Riyadh on it!!! Otherwise I am not bitter nor jealous!

I need to convince them to do a non LE in blue...something will replace the 5131
Old 18 June 2016, 05:48 PM   #87
KarlS
Banned

Quote:

That Thierry wears a Hublot?
Old 18 June 2016, 06:13 PM   #88
codecow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That Thierry wears a Hublot?
Lol, we walked by his office but he wasn't there.
Old 18 June 2016, 06:37 PM   #89
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Stick your name on the list you will be surprised by how quickly 5 years will fly by
Old 18 June 2016, 07:13 PM   #90
Jetkopite
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Stick your name on the list you will be surprised by how quickly 5 years will fly by
Haha some how dont think the 5131R will be made in 5 years time. I have my name at AD I got my 5980R but cant see it ever happening.. I have a Geneva flight end of this month and looking fwd to going to the Patek museum and salon there..