The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 December 2015, 07:45 AM   #61
DPE
"TRF" Member

Just be fair both ways and don't try to over push the discount/extras just because you have bought from them before. They looked after you before and will still.
DPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2015, 04:41 PM   #62
rudegar
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40 Pt
Thanks for all the thoughts.
No thanks for the unwarranted vilification.
I bought the watch for the price agreed upon last April. We both remembered the agreement exactly the same.
One of the things I appreciate about this fourm is the positive spirit. Let's stay there
Soon to come, a new post: "INCOMING"
rudegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2015, 05:04 PM   #63
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2015, 05:28 PM   #64
jctrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675
Glad you did the honourable thing and concluded the deal with the agreed upon price as a gentleman.
Let's turn the table and say if the watch is in greater demand that initially expected and the AD could get a higher price than quoted. You would expect them to honour the original quote, verbal or otherwise, wouldn't you?
jctrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2015, 11:50 PM   #65
InfinityNexus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jctrolex View Post
Glad you did the honourable thing and concluded the deal with the agreed upon price as a gentleman.
Let's turn the table and say if the watch is in greater demand that initially expected and the AD could get a higher price than quoted. You would expect them to honour the original quote, verbal or otherwise, wouldn't you?
I must say, I am VERY surprised at the responses in this thread.
The OP discussed a price with the AD; that was when the watch was first released (he had not seen it in person, he had no idea of the desirability etc). Unless there was a handshake with a 'I will see you in 6 months when it comes in to buy' or 'I will hold the watch for you when it arrives' etc, there was no agreement made beyond scoping out a price.
To respond to the MANY different comments about 'would you expect the AD to hold up the price'. No, I wouldn't; I can't tell you how many times I had to re-negotiate prices with AD's because they would constantly go back on them (no money has exchanged hands and discount levels depend on stock, margins, time of the year etc. The 'excuses' are endless, it seems).
While I agree that for a guestimate ~$750 seems a little pettry on a 40k watch, there is no harm approaching the AD and re-proposing what you would like to get. This time, however, make sure you have the cash on hand and propose what would make you interested in buying now (and subsequently buy the piece).
InfinityNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2015, 02:23 AM   #66
U2BDET
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudegar View Post
I appreciate all the 'your word is your bond' sentiment expressed here and I feel the same way. However as I did not make a deposit and AD did not give me a written quote we have an understanding, not a contract. If they had a customer walk in today and offer full retail for the piece I think they would call me and ask if I could wait for them to order another one for me so they could sell it today and I would say "yes" in a heartbeat.
I think the fact that your AD would call you based on a conversation/informal agreement made in April and ask if they could sell at full retail and order you another ..speaks volumes about your relationship with the AD ... not something to be taken lightly ....

Congrats on the new piece !
U2BDET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2015, 03:32 AM   #67
Tri-Tip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevNev View Post
Honor the agreement or buy somewhere else. What if this watch was selling above retail? How would you feel if he refused to sell the watch to you at the agreed upon price?
I agree 100%. If you don't like the price you agreed on with this dealer then you should look elsewhere.
Tri-Tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2015, 03:49 AM   #68
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevNev View Post
Honor the agreement or buy somewhere else. What if this watch was selling above retail? How would you feel if he refused to sell the watch to you at the agreed upon price?
This was my exact thought reading through this. If the watch went through the Stratosphere guess who would be beating the door down to get it at the agreed upon price and scraming it if didnt happen.

Make your best cash deal you can in a point in time and leave all the other stuff off the table. Thats wear and tear that your putting on the watch and IMO needs to be paid for as a service rendered for the watches you use.

The guys got to make a living, turn the lights on, pay employees etc. You been a 30 year customer, thats good loyalty. I am sure you have in return been treated fair and been given a decent price.

You asked...................
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2015, 05:26 AM   #69
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:
I think you're misunderstanding me. I am actually probably (who knows) paying more than market because I want to deal with my local AD and not shopping around. I have purchased many watches and all my wife's jewelry from this AD over three decades and am well known there and everybody likes each other. I just think the market is soft and asking for something that will save me $500-750 feels good when I'm going big for a Pt watch.
If prices had gone the other way, how would you feel if the AD tried to increase the price on you? Small price to pay for your integrity.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2015, 05:43 AM   #70
4vCoupe
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
It's your money and your relationship with the AD. From the timeline you gave it sounds like you were just getting a quote. If the market changed for your benefit I would say you have the right to work out a deal that is fair to you and that you are happy with. If there had been a price increase I'm sure the AD would also adjust their price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4vCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2015, 06:56 AM   #71
Eric Chan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date 118238
Quote:
Originally Posted by jctrolex View Post
First off to the OP, congrats on the incoming.

Totally agree with your comment and others about this matter regarding the thought about 'what if the tables were turned?' scenario. I would be shocked if anyone on this Forum would not be upset for an AD to change their mind on an agreed price with a long time client. A verbal agreement was made by both parties and the appropriate thing would be for both parties to honour it. No questions asked. Like Larry said, all that you have in life is your word. It goes both ways for the AD and the client.
Eric Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2015, 07:04 AM   #72
Eric Chan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date 118238
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityNexus View Post
I must say, I am VERY surprised at the responses in this thread.
The OP discussed a price with the AD; that was when the watch was first released (he had not seen it in person, he had no idea of the desirability etc). Unless there was a handshake with a 'I will see you in 6 months when it comes in to buy' or 'I will hold the watch for you when it arrives' etc, there was no agreement made beyond scoping out a price.
To respond to the MANY different comments about 'would you expect the AD to hold up the price'. No, I wouldn't; I can't tell you how many times I had to re-negotiate prices with AD's because they would constantly go back on them (no money has exchanged hands and discount levels depend on stock, margins, time of the year etc. The 'excuses' are endless, it seems).
While I agree that for a guestimate ~$750 seems a little pettry on a 40k watch, there is no harm approaching the AD and re-proposing what you would like to get. This time, however, make sure you have the cash on hand and propose what would make you interested in buying now (and subsequently buy the piece).
Not too sure why you are surprised about the responses on this thread. What do we have if not our word? If your AD's are not willing to honour an agreed upon price, then maybe you should be dealing with another AD.

Obviously this type of thing happens on both sides of the fence, but for me, if I made an agreement to pay a certain amount, then I would do it, regardless of "market conditions" and I would also expect the service provider who I deal with to do the same. If they can't, then we part company. When it comes to stuff like this, it is all business for me. My AD contact has dealt with me for over a decade and has never once changed the agreed upon price. I come back to him when I am ready (sometimes the next day and sometimes in a few months time) and the price will always be the same, unless there is a change in MSRP and taxes. Maybe he treats his clients extremely well. I don't know. But it is sad to see both clients and AD's who try to change the price at the last minute.
Eric Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2015, 07:06 AM   #73
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
Quote:
Soon to come, a new post: "INCOMING"
Congrats, let's cut to the chase!

minute_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2015, 07:18 AM   #74
InfinityNexus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Chan View Post
Not too sure why you are surprised about the responses on this thread. What do we have if not our word? If your AD's are not willing to honour an agreed upon price, then maybe you should be dealing with another AD.

Obviously this type of thing happens on both sides of the fence, but for me, if I made an agreement to pay a certain amount, then I would do it, regardless of "market conditions" and I would also expect the service provider who I deal with to do the same. If they can't, then we part company. When it comes to stuff like this, it is all business for me. My AD contact has dealt with me for over a decade and has never once changed the agreed upon price. I come back to him when I am ready (sometimes the next day and sometimes in a few months time) and the price will always be the same, unless there is a change in MSRP and taxes. Maybe he treats his clients extremely well. I don't know. But it is sad to see both clients and AD's who try to change the price at the last minute.
I guess it depends how the agreement was made. Was it a 'you will get your usual discount' or 'we can give it to you for x' or was there any actual back and forth negotiating which ended in the AD taking your name down (or something similar) and holding the watch for you? Were it the former, I would have no problem asking for more, as several AD's have pulled the 'stock is harder to get now' or 'Rolex has made discounts harder to come by so we can't give you that price' crap on me. However, were it the latter, then I agree with the general consensus of the thread; it really depends on how 'formal' the transaction was.
As an aside, I might have become more shrewd than most because my interactions with businesses have often had 'interesting' results. As an example, several years ago, I had to get a part manufactured for an project for my Bac, and the business owner I approached said ' yea, no problem it'll cost x'. He then went into his workshop while I was waiting to make the piece for me; when he came out, he asked for more than double the price. His justification was ' well I had to do this and that didn't work etc' and I had no choice but to pay (and he knew that) because I needed the part on short notice.
Old 16 December 2015, 09:24 AM   #75
rudegar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minute_man View Post

Haha Wanted to but my guy is off today! I want to consummate with him.
Old 16 December 2015, 09:44 AM   #76
rudegar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityNexus View Post
I guess it depends how the agreement was made. Was it a 'you will get your usual discount' or 'we can give it to you for x' or was there any actual back and forth negotiating which ended in the AD taking your name down (or something similar) and holding the watch for you? Were it the former, I would have no problem asking for more, as several AD's have pulled the 'stock is harder to get now' or 'Rolex has made discounts harder to come by so we can't give you that price' crap on me. However, were it the latter, then I agree with the general consensus of the thread; it really depends on how 'formal' the transaction was.
As an aside, I might have become more shrewd than most because my interactions with businesses have often had 'interesting' results. As an example, several years ago, I had to get a part manufactured for an project for my Bac, and the business owner I approached said ' yea, no problem it'll cost x'. He then went into his workshop while I was waiting to make the piece for me; when he came out, he asked for more than double the price. His justification was ' well I had to do this and that didn't work etc' and I had no choice but to pay (and he knew that) because I needed the part on short notice.
Actually, it was more nuanced but honorable than that on both sides. I said in April: I want to buy a GMT TT today and a DD40 Pt when it comes in the fall. I'd like a xx% discount. The owner came over and said "yes" and wanted me to put a significant non-refundable deposit on the DD40. I said no I don't want to do that sight unseen but would you accept that I buy the GMT TT today at 5% more than we just agreed. Will you order the DD40 for the store and when it comes in, on my approval, will you sell it to me at xx% discount and also 5% of the GMT TT which I have forgone by not putting a deposit on the DD40. He said yes. Now in December I came in and reminded my sales rep who remembered it the same way and the owner came over and we kibbitzed (they had discussed this before I came in - after all they don't sell too many Pt's in a year).
What got my Forum comrades enraged is my suggestion that I should get additional concessions because for whatever reason I think the market is soft. This set off a donnybrook. In the end, after discussing servicing costs, I realized it was a lot to ask for a free $1,200 service on my DD II. The other concession I wanted was granted that they will polish the band up to once per year gratis in house (though he recommends less often). However they cannot polish the head or the bezel - only RSC can do that. Apologies for raising so much blood pressure. My relationship with my AD is pretty good. But being un-naïve it is because I've spent big $ there for 30+ years not because he's saintly or I'm the President (other that my watch bracelet). He is a successful businessman who has outlasted blistering competition in a highly competitive retail environment in a major metro area.
Old 16 December 2015, 10:06 AM   #77
alika
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
Quote:
Originally Posted by minute_man View Post

x2
alika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2015, 10:32 AM   #78
Duey
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many To List
Your word is your word
Duey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2015, 11:40 AM   #79
InfinityNexus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Actually, it was more nuanced but honorable than that on both sides. I said in April: I want to buy a GMT TT today and a DD40 Pt when it comes in the fall. I'd like a xx% discount. The owner came over and said "yes" and wanted me to put a significant non-refundable deposit on the DD40. I said no I don't want to do that sight unseen but would you accept that I buy the GMT TT today at 5% more than we just agreed. Will you order the DD40 for the store and when it comes in, on my approval, will you sell it to me at xx% discount and also 5% of the GMT TT which I have forgone by not putting a deposit on the DD40. He said yes. Now in December I came in and reminded my sales rep who remembered it the same way and the owner came over and we kibbitzed (they had discussed this before I came in - after all they don't sell too many Pt's in a year).
What got my Forum comrades enraged is my suggestion that I should get additional concessions because for whatever reason I think the market is soft. This set off a donnybrook. In the end, after discussing servicing costs, I realized it was a lot to ask for a free $1,200 service on my DD II. The other concession I wanted was granted that they will polish the band up to once per year gratis in house (though he recommends less often). However they cannot polish the head or the bezel - only RSC can do that. Apologies for raising so much blood pressure. My relationship with my AD is pretty good. But being un-naïve it is because I've spent big $ there for 30+ years not because he's saintly or I'm the President (other that my watch bracelet). He is a successful businessman who has outlasted blistering competition in a highly competitive retail environment in a major metro area.
Ah, fair enough, this makes more sense! Congrats!
Old 16 December 2015, 12:01 PM   #80
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Congrats!!! Post some pics when get it!
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2015, 01:15 PM   #81
Sunny Arizona
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkerrmd View Post
If it was me I would buy it at the price you agreed upon the rest sounds petty, sorry
Agree with the doc. Petty.
Sunny Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2015, 01:26 PM   #82
Preeble
"TRF" Member

Congrats! I agree with previous sentiment...If the market and exchange rates went the other way, I would strongly suspect that you would expect the AD to honor the original agreement. As such, I personally would abide by the original agreement.
Preeble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2015, 03:19 PM   #83
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Honor your word and hopefully the dealer will remember it down the road when you're interested in another one!