The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 January 2019, 10:13 PM   #61
Sionwillz89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 41, BB58
Goldsmiths in Liverpool had 3 Daytona’s on display window last month.
Sionwillz89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 10:14 PM   #62
Abyss
"TRF" Member

Goldmsiths at the Metrocentre had a white gold Daytona in the window earlier this week as well as a rose gold Daytona :)
Old 19 January 2019, 12:19 AM   #63
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamj View Post
I have been on business for the last few weeks so have been on a mission to find something in store. I have been to heathrow t5, birmingham, dublin, belfast, glasgow cardiff, brighton, london... sometimes multiple ADs in each place. Nothing but Datejusts. Does anyone actually spot anything in windows anymore?
I go into the AD in Dublin nearly every week and there is always 2-3 Milgauss on display incl the blue dial for as long as I remember. Not the most popular SS sports but one nonetheless!
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2019, 04:14 AM   #64
1watch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence1 View Post
Scenario - tomorrow you walk into your local AD and see a BLRO in the case. The AD says it’s yours if you want it. Do you worry about how many people looked at it or tried it on before you got there and pass on it, or do you get your card out and buy it? Looking forward to the hypocritical response.

You don’t get it...re-read the prior posts. Apples and oranges here. Nobody “owns” this piece, whereas the other scenario has an “owner” via a list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 07:03 AM   #65
lawrence1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
I purchased a new, White Dial, Stainless Daytona today after my AD called and said it was my turn for one, it just arrived. I had put my name on the wait list in March 2017. I was out of the office chair so fast and on my way I didn't even stop for lunch $ 12,400 + tax, no gouging (Virginia).

They told me they get two or three in a year, and have so many people on the wait-list (over 200) they no longer will add names to it. Lots of Datejusts in their case, a couple of Yachtmasters and a few Air Kings....
congrats! that is a great score. enjoy in good health!
lawrence1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 07:30 AM   #66
Bobby83
"TRF" Member

No stock anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
I purchased a new, White Dial, Stainless Daytona today after my AD called and said it was my turn for one, it just arrived. I had put my name on the wait list in March 2017. I was out of the office chair so fast and on my way I didn't even stop for lunch $ 12,400 + tax, no gouging (Virginia).

They told me they get two or three in a year, and have so many people on the wait-list (over 200) they no longer will add names to it. Lots of Datejusts in their case, a couple of Yachtmasters and a few Air Kings....

Had an AD here in the DMV tell me the same thing reference “the list” I was asking about the Batman though.

Congratulations on your purchase!!
Bobby83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 08:56 AM   #67
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

The dynamic that isn't being discussed here, mainly because it is unsettling and disarming to some watch collectors, is that while AD's certainly need customers, some of them don't especially NEED YOU...that's right...they don't think the general buyer is important in any way to them.

Why?

Because they serve as a co-distributor for Rolex by selling in bulk to the grey market. They don't WANT Joe Q Public and his (what they perceive) as a megalomaniacal attitude to deal with for a scant few sales here and there...they just don't.

They will put up with the ego and other associated bull$$$T from BIG whales who buy high margin jewelry and other trinkets they can wring money out them for...

The rest of the customers they want to deal with be grey market jobbers and will be sold to in BULK wholesale style. Watches come in and they are sold in one nice tidy purchase to be distributed by greys online and to other gentleman dealers across the world...No hassles...the greys can deal with the plebeians.

This has been going on long before the Rolex market got "hot" and it will continue to after it cools down...it's another distribution channel that Rolex informally recognizes and lets happen because it moves pieces and that's what counts at the end of the day.

So yeah. some dealers couldn't care less what you think...they believe they have set themselves up to be immune to the opinions and ego of the general public. Time will tell to see if they are right...
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 09:27 AM   #68
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
The dynamic that isn't being discussed here, mainly because it is unsettling and disarming to some watch collectors, is that while AD's certainly need customers, some of them don't especially NEED YOU...that's right...they don't think the general buyer is important in any way to them.

Why?

Because they serve as a co-distributor for Rolex by selling in bulk to the grey market. They don't WANT Joe Q Public and his (what they perceive) as a megalomaniacal attitude to deal with for a scant few sales here and there...they just don't.
Fair points. I would just like to clarify, per my earlier remarks, that I don't ever exhibit a sense of ego when dealing with salespeople. I am always pleasant and engaging, and never condescend or act entitled. A job is a job, and I respect that. I can also accept that they can't sell me what they don't have, and that if there are people ahead of me on a list, I'll have to wait.

What I don't like is the sense of being sized up and judged as to "worthiness." A few months back, I inquired at my local AD about the SD43. One of the first questions the salesperson asked me was whether I had purchased from them before. I knew right then that I was being evaluated as to whether or not I'd make the cut, and I resented it. (I do have a purchase history with them, but it's not extensive enough as to be considered VIP.) I'm not naďve; I understand how the market works. But when I get a sense that the salesperson is making the call about whether I have the privilege of spending my money with them, that's where they lose me. I don't consider that ego or megalomania on my part. That is just what I consider the "natural order" of the salesperson/customer relationship: I decide whether or not I purchase; they don't. If an inversion of that paradigm is where we are in Rolex world, it's a reason to look at other brands, imo. I'm sure they won't miss me now...but maybe they will later.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 10:45 AM   #69
Sumit1
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41, SD43, BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watch View Post
I would agree with this position. If I’m the buyer and paying that much,
I expect it to be factory fresh. The only way it’s appropriate to keep and display a paid for piece...and allow others to handle is if the new owner is aware and has given permission to do so.

So if we extend this logic - if you happen to find a ss model in the display case that you have been looking to buy - you will not buy it it does not satisfy your condition of “factory fresh” and rather go on a wait list.

Sumit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 11:27 AM   #70
Irydium
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumit1 View Post
So if we extend this logic - if you happen to find a ss model in the display case that you have been looking to buy - you will not buy it it does not satisfy your condition of “factory fresh” and rather go on a wait list.

I don't think that's a particularly 'entitled' position to take. If I am on a list then the piece is being set aside and should not be placed outside for others to try because it is reserved and not available to be purchased.

Some people are ok with their stuff being tried on and some (like me) would like it factory fresh. In this case the wish of the confirmed customer > potential customer.
Irydium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 12:54 PM   #71
Bobby83
"TRF" Member

No stock anywhere

Anyone think there is a shortage bc Rolex is planning a major overhaul on their sports models? Greater power reserves? New movements?

Sell off the “old” models before announcing new upgraded ones so they don’t have the older models collecting dust.

Old 20 January 2019, 01:21 PM   #72
jltait
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby83 View Post
Anyone think there is a shortage bc Rolex is planning a major overhaul on their sports models? Greater power reserves? New movements?

Sell off the “old” models before announcing new upgraded ones so they don’t have the older models collecting dust.

I do think this is a distinct possibility. Sales velocity is also up up up, so, if true, the two things would be compounding.
jltait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 01:29 PM   #73
bonovox
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your time
Quote:

Would not surprise me.
bonovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 01:32 PM   #74
nlb69
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4k
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Fett View Post
My local AD has explorer and yacht masters in the window.

What YachtMaster ? Bleu dial ?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
nlb69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 01:34 PM   #75
Hub6152
Banned

Quote:

Ummmm - a bit behind there. The new 3285 movt with 70 hours PWR is already out in the new BLRO and will obviously be finding its way into other references in due course.

Ultimately no one actually categorically knows if Rolex has reduced output - only rumours and here-say abound. What is fact is that demand has substantially increased.
Hub6152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 01:34 PM   #76
mr_gray
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMURF
i find @watchlurv comments quite compelling (supply has been constrained significantly). and i cannot help but reflect on the short period of time i have been a WIS and how things have changed vis a vis Steel watches from rolex, ap and patek.

when i started shopping for a sub i didn't understand why ADs existed. i got one from DSW for way less than RRP. same product, same warranty.

same deal for ap and pp.

whilst watch manufacturers like selling watches anyway they can, i think they might be concerned when as alluded to above, it becomes easier for an AD to deal with a grey than people. i guess a theory could be that watch manufacturers want non wis people to know their watches exist too. not everyone who could be a customer will be a customer if all the watches are with greys.

so do they then constrict steel watch supply with the goal of putting ADs into pole position. "we've got what people want!" but then has it gotten out of hand now such that again, we have no stock in the window?

also if i was an AD that used to deal with greys why wouldn't i be even more motivated to keep the same arrangement now since the watches are overall worth more? if rolex doesn't let ADs distribute to greys how come there are so many grey watches?

and if i am an AD not bundling rare steel watches with PM watches am i even playing the game as rolex intend it? shouldn't an AD be able to make a dollar on something they have access to which is in such hot demand?

i guess a question of some significance to the watch enthusiast, that's relevant to this post, is whether these brands are all thinking "luxury equals limited supply, given demand now time to have larger proportion of collection in PM, even if they are PM versions of watches made famous in steel". that is will one ever again have the chance to buy a 15202 or 5711 for 2017 prices?
mr_gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 01:47 PM   #77
nlb69
"TRF" Member

Yesterday in an AD i have seen :

- 2 explorer II (black and white)
- 2 Milgaus
- 1 Air King
- 1 YachtMaster (blue dial)

Probably all GMTs will be updated with the new 3285 in basel 2019 but for the 3135 who knows if a new movement will pop up soon .....

Anyway SS model are still coming ...

Old 20 January 2019, 11:16 PM   #78
Bobby83
"TRF" Member

No stock anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlb69 View Post
Yesterday in an AD i have seen :

- 2 explorer II (black and white)
- 2 Milgaus
- 1 Air King
- 1 YachtMaster (blue dial)

Probably all GMTs will be updated with the new 3285 in basel 2019 but for the 3135 who knows if a new movement will pop up soon .....

Anyway SS model are still coming ...

Think the new movement would work it’s way into the explorer 2 anytime soon? Curious bc of its size different to the other GMTs. I think the 50th anniversary of the explorer 2 is coming up in 2021 or 2022 and would expect any major changes then.

Might be pulling the trigger on a new explorer 2 very soon...like this coming Monday soon...so quick responses would be appreciated...I’m obviously going to go with my gut and what I want to do (had to put that bc I’m sure someone would have said that) but your opinions are very much welcome...after all isn’t that one of the reasons we all joined.

Debating wether or not to wait until after Basel world to see what happens. My only concern with that idea is if a new movement is put in the explorer 2 how long of a wait would it be to actually get one? Rhetorical question as I know there is no way of telling. Not too concerned about an increased power reserve bc it’ll be my new everyday wearer. Besides increased power reserve how much better could a new movement be?

I know it’s not a Batman, sky dweller and or Daytona but I’m sure there would still be a decent wait since most guys are still trying to get their hands on last years releases.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I love how this shortage has left many of us with a sense of urgency...if Rolex is trying to accomplish a demand increase, it’s worked lol
Old 20 January 2019, 11:23 PM   #79
Luke8992
"TRF" Member

I've been two 7 different Rolex dealers within the UK and all have the same stock.
Luke8992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 11:31 PM   #80
atifwasi
"TRF" Member

Totally agree. In the past 30 days I have travelled to Cairo, Frankfurt, Zurich, Denver, SanFrancisco and my home base Washington D.C. There is nothing in stock except for gold watches, Day Dates etc. No SS sport watches. The cases are empty and nobody knows when will they get one. This is getting absurd and in the end Rolex is going to loose a lot of customers because they simply can't full-fill demand. There are plenty of other really nice watches and brands. At least I was lucky to pick up a GMT BLNR couple of years ago in London.
atifwasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 12:02 AM   #81
nlb69
"TRF" Member

Here the pic i have taken Saturday in a AD
Old 21 January 2019, 12:33 AM   #82
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Isn't your area particularly hard hit by lack of supply? Not surprising there is nothing in the stores where you are. I think it is much better in the US. Not much stuff sitting up but incomings are frequent.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 12:57 AM   #83
zeeww
"TRF" Member

Wow that’s some expensive RRP if its in Euros

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlb69 View Post

Here the pic i have taken Saturday in a AD
zeeww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 07:19 AM   #84
nlb69
"TRF" Member

No stock anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeww View Post
Wow that’s some expensive RRP if its in Euros

Nope, price are in Korean Won (k₩)
Old 22 January 2019, 03:02 AM   #85
Bobby83
"TRF" Member

What they had in stock, what I walked out wearing.

Old 22 January 2019, 03:04 AM   #86
calh22a
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence1 View Post
I see many here are quite self absorbed and pretentious, borderline douchey but that is to be expected nowadays. Bottom line - your comparison to a new car purchase is flawed. A better parallel would be expecting no one to see, sit in or touch your new car before you take delivery. Also, Rolexes are not special ordered or bespoke, nor ar they low production, which either way has nothing to do with anything. Someone looking at the watch and/or trying it on won’t ruin it for you.

Wow, I haven’t followed up with this thread for a few days and just noticed your comment. I’m glad you’re able to glean all that knowledge based on my one response. Your posts seem so arrogant and offensive when someone posts something that doesn’t align with your thought process. Seems to me you’re the individual who is rather pretentious and bordering douchey. Obviously based on other members posts in this thread, there are some individuals who would rather not have their allocated watches being handled unnecessarily. The fact that you cannot accept that thought process and that you would attack others for taking that stance is quite ignorant.
calh22a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 03:27 AM   #87
jkater1
"TRF" Member

Was pretty surprised to see this guy in an AD’s case. Also had both black and blue deep sea dwellers.

jkater1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 03:31 AM   #88
blacke90
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP||Panerai||Rolex
Quote:

What they had in stock, what I walked out wearing.

Congrats! Which AD was this? Not a “bad” selections they have.
blacke90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 03:33 AM   #89
blacke90
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP||Panerai||Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkater1 View Post
Was pretty surprised to see this guy in an AD’s case. Also had both black and blue deep sea dwellers.

I was in Singapore the other week and they didn’t have any stainless steel model at all.
blacke90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 03:51 AM   #90
Bobby83
"TRF" Member

No stock anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacke90 View Post
Congrats! Which AD was this? Not a “bad” selections they have.

Crown Jewelers Fredericksburg VA USA

Thank you