The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 January 2010, 02:30 AM   #61
Badfish179
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pam24, Seamaster
!Joder! !Buena suerte!
Old 29 January 2010, 02:30 AM   #62
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersnyder View Post
Sorry to hear about the situation. HOPEFULLY, the kid will come to his senses and return the watch with an apology for being a jerk!

Could be a time for a good lesson in realities of life and human relations for all involved too.

I say HOPEFULLY the kid will return the watch AND spend some time in the local jail!

Tristen, please update us as soon as possible.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2010, 02:32 AM   #63
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Hi Tristan,

Just logged on this morning and went through this thread.

I can understand that this one could be confusing and embarrassing for you since it involves a friend and his son.

Try and get the watch back as diplomatically as you can. Not sure if involving the cops is a good idea because that could start up a domino effect.

Instead, you could use your good relations with your friend and try and get the whole thing resolved as clamly and quickly as possible.

Good luck, buddy.........just do whatever you feel is best.

I just hope in the meantime, that guy has not pawned off the watch.......or even worse!!

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2010, 02:38 AM   #64
DMJ

Watch: DSSD, SD4000
You should report it to the Police & therefore get a 'case number'. This will then allow you to claim via the insurance. You were not negligent, in that you kept it in your house. The fact that someone else came in, not invited by you & stole it, does not alter the fact that you kept it in your house. I leave mine next to my bed when out running, etc & if my wife invited someone into our house & my watch was stolen, then I would report it to the Police & if it did not magically reappear, I would claim off the insurance (we pay them enough!).

Remember, it is your watch that has gone, not your friends or his son. If you are prepared to just let it go, because you are embarrassed about the ill-feeling, then you loose your watch for it. They made the 1st move, so its up to you how you respond. Things will never be the same, it comes down to whether you just take it! I wouldn't.
DMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2010, 02:44 AM   #65
hennabav
Banned

Watch: --Rolex--
Very sorry to hear this. I think I'm gonna put my watch in a very safe place going forward as well. This story sickens me as completely.

I would suggest taking action immediately once the midday is up and if your friend's son does not come up with the watch. I don't think it would tarnish your friendship either as it is not your friends fault. It's his son and since he is already an adult, it is completely his responsibility and not your friend's. If it was your son's friend who stole it, I would definitely get authorities involved as those parents you probably don't know and I would definitely go all the way and find every single flaw on the watch and blame it on them. You can even tell the parents, I'm doing you a HUGE priceless favor in teaching YOUR kid (a job you should have been done a long time ago). But this gets into personal business so hopefully this works out in your favor!! Good luck!!
hennabav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2010, 02:49 AM   #66
spuds
"TRF" Member

Watch: West Ham! COYI!!
Gotta say I'm surprised at the number of people saying "Get the cops involved NOW!!".....

If it was my friend....
& there was the remotest possibility that my friends son was involved......
I can hand-on-heart state that I'd give them both at least a little time to sort it out themselves.

Added to this Tristan has said that he thinks his friend will compensate him if the son was involved, so I wouldn't want to jeapoardise a friendship for the sake of twenty-four hours.

I totally agree that "theft is theft & thieves deserve to be punished" but at the same time this is a friend & his son we're talking about.

& I'm gonna don my flame-suit for this but......

while NOT NOT NOT blaming Tristan in ANY way BUT.....

perhaps there's a certain lesson to be learned here in not entrusting your ('especially so easily stolen') valuables to an eighteen year old who isn't even your own family??

Maybe??

Life is not about how fast you can run or how high you can climb...........
It's about how well you can bounce!!

TRF HALL OF FAME JANUARY 2010
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2010, 02:51 AM   #67
Kapture1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ω 3570.50.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMJ View Post
You should report it to the Police & therefore get a 'case number'. This will then allow you to claim via the insurance. You were not negligent, in that you kept it in your house. The fact that someone else came in, not invited by you & stole it, does not alter the fact that you kept it in your house. I leave mine next to my bed when out running, etc & if my wife invited someone into our house & my watch was stolen, then I would report it to the Police & if it did not magically reappear, I would claim off the insurance (we pay them enough!).

Remember, it is your watch that has gone, not your friends or his son. If you are prepared to just let it go, because you are embarrassed about the ill-feeling, then you loose your watch for it. They made the 1st move, so its up to you how you respond. Things will never be the same, it comes down to whether you just take it! I wouldn't.
As an insurance agent, I hate that attitude.

And it depends soly on wether or not he has a seperate rider for the Rolex if he should bother turning in a claim on his insurance. EVERY HOME INSURANCE COMPANY WILL LIMIT THE PAYOUT ON THEFT OF HIGH VALUE ITEMS such as furs, money, jewlery, ect. If he does not have a seperate rider, and he turned it in, they might pay him 1000 (depending on his deductible) and his rates may increase if he is receiving a loss free discount over the next three years.

Wash out this tired notion that the best is yet to come
Kapture1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2010, 02:58 AM   #68
DMJ

Watch: DSSD, SD4000
I hear what your saying Kapture1; but it all depends on what his insurance policy is. If taken out correctly ,then he will get his FULL value of loss, not just some measly value. Failure to report the incident & no deal from his insurance. 'Insurance Agents' will always try to minimise payment, as its their job to do so.
DMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2010, 03:02 AM   #69
Kapture1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMJ View Post
I hear what your saying Kapture1; but it all depends on what his insurance policy is. If taken out correctly ,then he will get his FULL value of loss, not just some measly value. Failure to report the incident & no deal from his insurance. 'Insurance Agents' will always try to minimise payment, as its their job to do so.
Insurance company adjustors will always try to minimise payment... Not agents. We are here for the customers, and several times, I have been on the phone with adjustors fighting for my customers.

I mention the rider thing because not everybody insures their Rolex(s). I dont. And if mine were stolen today, my policy reads that theft of unscheduled jewlery items is limited to 1500 dollars (and I have a 1000 ded, so...) When you go home... read your policy. if you dont pay seperate for your Rolex, you may want to.

You are absolutely right, any theft must be reported to the police before a claim will be paid upon.

But no policy out there will pay full value on theft of high value items if there is no seperate rider. And with a seperate rider, he has world wide coverage, all peril, with no deductible.

Old 29 January 2010, 03:05 AM   #70
johnnybazookajoe
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapture1 View Post
Insurance company adjustors will always try to minimise payment... Not agents. We are here for the customers, and several times, I have been on the phone with adjustors fighting for my customers.

I mention the rider thing because not everybody insures their Rolex(s). I dont. And if mine were stolen today, my policy reads that theft of unsecudled jewlery items is limited to 1500 dollars (and I have a 1000 ded, so...) When you go home... read your policy. if you dont pay seperate for your Rolex, you may want to.
Not true. As an Insurance Adjuster, we simply want to pay what it costs to replace it or get it fixed. We are salaried employees, making the customer happy is our goal too. I don't assume your job as an agent, don't assume mine as an adjuster.
Old 29 January 2010, 03:15 AM   #71
Safetrends
Banned

Watch: my hand. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Hi Tristan,

Just logged on this morning and went through this thread.

I can understand that this one could be confusing and embarrassing for you since it involves a friend and his son.

Try and get the watch back as diplomatically as you can. Not sure if involving the cops is a good idea because that could start up a domino effect.

Instead, you could use your good relations with your friend and try and get the whole thing resolved as clamly and quickly as possible.

Good luck, buddy.........just do whatever you feel is best.

I just hope in the meantime, that guy has not pawned off the watch.......or even worse!!

JJ
Good advice JJ!
Safetrends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2010, 03:16 AM   #72
Kapture1
"TRF" Member

I just call upon my experience dealing with some... and I wonder why there is a need for independent adjusting firms (even tho they are the biggest rip-off there is)

I have seen my fair sare of shady adjustors that take over three months to pay a legitimate claim and dont bat an eye cutting a check after I recomend the company send the file to SIU. My uncle is an adjustor with Hanover/Citizens and I would have to agree that it depends on the adjustor. For the most part, they settle claims based on the language of the contract and most are fair about it and settle in a timely fasion. I didnt in any way mean to offend you, just stating that the Agent has a loss ratio, but we are also held responsible for errors and ommissions... in other words, if something happends, the Agent wants you to be fully covered, because if you are not and should have been, its the Agent that get to pick up the difference.

Old 29 January 2010, 03:22 AM   #73
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs
By 12? I'd give the bastard an hour....then the Police get called. Too much can happen between now and then...Best of luck to you.
CoopJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2010, 03:24 AM   #74
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Very sorry for this.

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2010, 03:28 AM   #75
ParisDakarBmw
Banned

Watch: 116610 Sub-C
I don't think I would have waited to have the same irresponsable people return the watch. Not your friend, but the teens who took it. They now have a chance to either scrap the watch, and play dumb, or confess, and risk serious punishment. I don't know that I would have made the correct decision at 18. That would scare most of us to try, and hide the truth. Your hoping the kids "Man up" to what they did. The fact things were stolen from your unguarded home when you trusted them is a huge letdown. Any word from your friend today?
ParisDakarBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2010, 03:32 AM   #76
crazyfingers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 14060M
Sorry to hear about what happened. I really hope those kids confess and we see a pic of your watch back on your wrist ASAP.
crazyfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2010, 03:47 AM   #77
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
bummer....but at least you have the possibility of a return.....I got mugged many years ago & my 1968 sub no date was stolen....no return.
Dr. Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2010, 04:00 AM   #78
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
unlucky event IMO.
Hope this gets sorted asap.

Can you tell if other watches were touched or relocated?
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2010, 04:04 AM   #79
Rich2putt
"TRF" Member

Watch: TOG, Exp ll white
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASSETHOUNDS View Post
I doubt that the insurance would pay up in this case , I might have to simulate break in or something . No way I'm doing that .

The rider on our insurance policy for our 2 Rolex's state: lost, stolen, damaged & "mysterious disappearance".

Something to look into in the future. Hopefully your watch will be returned.

As an FYI......the insurance is $1.25 per thousand dollars to insure. Our total rider insurance for both watches is $178 annually. Small price to pay for piece of mind.

Last edited by Rich2putt; 29 January 2010 at 04:11 AM.. Reason: Added Info
Rich2putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2010, 04:06 AM   #80
j1224

insurance?

Hey...sorry to hear...do you have insurance on your watch?

I ensure mine...and it only cost me about $90 a year...not a bad way to protect a rolex!
j1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2010, 04:49 AM   #81
BASSETHOUNDS
Banned

Watch: 116520/660/710/334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widows Son View Post
No, No, No.....It is not the police department's place to be used as "Leverage." We truly hate to be used like this. If you get the police involved they will file charges against the kid regardless of what you say. A felony must be investigated once reported. Then, after the police interview numerous people, they won't be too happy if all of a sudden you don't want anything done. I would give the kid father a chance to get the watch returned, then if that's not done, get the police involved. This is a very hard type of case to investigate unless one of the kids comes clean and actually witnessed someone take the watch. We all know that one of the kids is involved but proving it in court may be an impossible task. Now civil court is different. The burden of proof is much less. That is an option. You may want to find out the upper limit of damages in your state in civil court. If it's only a couple of thousand this may not be an option. Hope things work out for you.
Exactly , once you file a complaint in Spain the Police will investigate and report to a investigating judge . He will then send his findings to the "Fiscal" public prosecutor . Even if the watch is returned , I personally can only wave my civil claim , but if the prosecutor esteems that the crime itself has to be judged in court , it will . There is nothing I can do stop that .

There is some progress , I have been to my friends house and we spoke to his son there , he has owned up that he let his friends go into our house and use the computer in my office ( I have gone through the history and indeed around that time on saturday they accessed their mail and some chat line )
It seems now that it is the sister of one of his friends that took the watch and supposedly has given it to her boy friend, a DJ in some club in Barcelona they went to that night .
My friend has contacted the parents of that girl and they assured that they would do whatever needed to recuperate the watch , if not have their daughter fully cooperate with the police to locate "the boyfriend" ( I understand that this girl has had some problems before with drug taking , so that is not very encouraging ) Anyway we have decided ( on advice from the ex-police officer now real estate agent ) to go to the police tomorrow , the girl as the parents will come along .

We will have to take it from there ,
In the meanwhile my friend has confiscated his son's car and will sell it to pay for the watch if need be . I must say I did like that gesture , and it will really punish the youngster .
BASSETHOUNDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2010, 04:52 AM   #82
moviefreak
"TRF" Member

nice to hear...lets hope the DJ keeps the watch until you guys show up in there...
Old 29 January 2010, 04:55 AM   #83
ParisDakarBmw
Banned

Watch: 116610 Sub-C
Hopefully things will work out. That watch changed hands four or five times at the drop of a hat. I'm really sorry this happened to you!
ParisDakarBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2010, 04:57 AM   #84
tandrup
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Tristan - that is good news and progress. Hopefully you will locate the watch quickly and it will be back on the right wrist! I am sure that you will appreciate the watch even more after this incident. I'll continue to keep my fingers crossed for you. Although it's really hard to type with your fingers csorssed :-)
Georg Jensen 2347
tandrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2010, 05:04 AM   #85
rsg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASSETHOUNDS View Post
Exactly , once you file a complaint in Spain the Police will investigate and report to a investigating judge . He will then send his findings to the "Fiscal" public prosecutor . Even if the watch is returned , I personally can only wave my civil claim , but if the prosecutor esteems that the crime itself has to be judged in court , it will . There is nothing I can do stop that .

There is some progress , I have been to my friends house and we spoke to his son there , he has owned up that he let his friends go into our house and use the computer in my office ( I have gone through the history and indeed around that time on saturday they accessed their mail and some chat line )
It seems now that it is the sister of one of his friends that took the watch and supposedly has given it to her boy friend, a DJ in some club in Barcelona they went to that night .
My friend has contacted the parents of that girl and they assured that they would do whatever needed to recuperate the watch , if not have their daughter fully cooperate with the police to locate "the boyfriend" ( I understand that this girl has had some problems before with drug taking , so that is not very encouraging ) Anyway we have decided ( on advice from the ex-police officer now real estate agent ) to go to the police tomorrow , the girl as the parents will come along .

We will have to take it from there ,
In the meanwhile my friend has confiscated his son's car and will sell it to pay for the watch if need be . I must say I did like that gesture , and it will really punish the youngster .

It's good that you gave your friend an opportunity to work things out before going to the police. Regardless of what the law says a 19 year old is still a kid and a felony theft charge could cause lasting issues for what seems like nothing more than a lapse of judgment on the kids part (letting friends use the computor).
I would however be inclined to report the actual thief to the police, especially if that person has a ciminal background.
It seems the kids family is willing to do what it takes to make things right.
rsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2010, 05:16 AM   #86
Casey VP-26
"TRF" Member

I can't believe people on this tread are telling you Quote: Just give your " Friend " a chance to get the watch back even though you have stated it was probably a "friend of your friend" Give me a break if these are your "friends" and others have friends like this . God Bless us All. I learned a long time ago Business is Business. I still hope for the safe return of your watch, and hope whoever done this don't get the same chance again to do this to anyone anyone anyone else, or the watches we treasure.
Casey VP-26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2010, 05:20 AM   #87
BASSETHOUNDS
Banned

Watch: 116520/660/710/334
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsg View Post
It's good that you gave your friend an opportunity to work things out before going to the police. Regardless of what the law says a 19 year old is still a kid and a felony theft charge could cause lasting issues for what seems like nothing more than a lapse of judgment on the kids part (letting friends use the computor).
I would however be inclined to report the actual thief to the police, especially if that person has a ciminal background.
It seems the kids family is willing to do what it takes to make things right.
That was exactly my motivation for NOT running straight to the police , don't get me wrong I more then pi.. off for what has happened and I consider that kid fully responsible , at the other hand he is quite a good student and has his whole life ahead of him . I know that if he would get convicted , this may prevent him from applying certain jobs , posts etc for the rest of his life . My main concern is to get out of this without too much damage done , I want my watch back and I would really be sad if I lost my friend over this . I have already overheard a conversation between my wife and the mother ... I didn't like the tone and the direction it was taking ...

I have checked my insurance policy , I was insured for my old one ( F-reg ) I did not report the change which I think I should have , and I have since got 2 more watches .. these are not insured at the moment . I will wait what happens tomorrow at the police station , I would need to report it there anyway before I can even try to claim from my insurance .

I'm really gutted ... get my watch stole like that by someone I trusted completely . I was the opportunity that made the thief , I do realize that . The watch was in semi plain view , I should have hid it with the rest . We have a small safe in the house , but I just use it as bait . There is nothing really valuable in it , we hide the rest in places that you would really have to be lucky to find .
BASSETHOUNDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2010, 05:24 AM   #88
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
This really sucks, Tristan, and I hope you are able to get it resolved. There's nothing worse than the feeling of violation you get when you are robbed. Depending on the value of the watch, this might go beyond simple theft and be larceny.

Keep us in the loop.
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2010, 05:28 AM   #89
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
The kid of your friend made a huge mistake, but I admire the actions taken by his parents. Some parents would protect their kid to the end, even if they know it's not right to do so, just in an attempt to save their family "glory".

And knowing he is 19, he should have known better. He's an adult, and should take responsibility for his actions. Letting a friend use the computer is one thing, ofcourse he shouldn't have let them, but obviously leaving his friends alone in your den or office is very poor judgment. But I'm certainly "beating a dead horse here". My rant wont make the situation any better.

I hope you get your watch back, but if there's drugs involved, your Rolex has likely changed hands already for change or a hit...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, I would be absolutely devastated.

Last edited by bayerische; 29 January 2010 at 05:31 AM.. Reason: typo
bayerische is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2010, 05:29 AM   #90
Safetrends
Banned

Watch: my hand. :)
That is really bad when you have someone you trust and it end up in the s**tter. You cannot go back from here, just try to recover the watch. I know that I would want to the kid and squease the life out of him for stealing the watch. Being violated is the worst thing that someone can have done to them. Lots of luck and keep us posted.
Safetrends is offline   Reply With Quote