The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 August 2020, 12:54 AM   #61
omx5o
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss GV
Just buy an SS Rolex plus half a kilo of gold bullion instead.
omx5o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 01:04 AM   #62
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by omx5o View Post
It seems Gold Rolex is much much safer and a better investment? HAHAHAH

I really really hope its not becoming this. Its going to ruin my future gold Rolex purchases.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 01:26 AM   #63
acheronsgrief
"TRF" Member

I got my RG Daytona 2 months ago for just under 30k and now I’m seeing them at retail or close to it everywhere. I know I got a pretty good deal even at the time but something doesn’t feel right seeing it all climb so quickly. I agree that this will be interesting to look back on with better information to fill in the dots...
acheronsgrief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 01:35 AM   #64
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterskinner View Post
When history is written, what are the chances of them saying that in 2020, people had no idea what was coming down the track. There’s an air of unreality about. A sort of ‘it’s not happening’ attitude.
Doesn’t feel good to me, regardless of the price of Rolex!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
Sounds like all this is going to lead to an economic crash then watches will drop in price regardless steel or pm
Make no mistake about it.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 01:40 AM   #65
Alan111
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acheronsgrief View Post
I got my RG Daytona 2 months ago for just under 30k and now I’m seeing them at retail or close to it everywhere. I know I got a pretty good deal even at the time but something doesn’t feel right seeing it all climb so quickly. I agree that this will be interesting to look back on with better information to fill in the dots...
Where did you get a RG Daytona for under 30k 2 months ago? Haven't seem them under 30k in over a year.
Alan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 02:09 AM   #66
Rolex-istanbul
"TRF" Member

America just blowing out some money like a volcano. What did you expect?

The value of dollar Will be lowest Of all time. Gold is getting hotter cause people ditching out the dollar for a more stable value.

My ss rolex no date submariner will be 20000 usd in 6 months time. I am no oracle but i know how economy runs.
Rolex-istanbul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 02:31 AM   #67
rfs
"TRF" Member

Are all Rolex PM and TT watches going up in prices or some specific models?
rfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 02:42 AM   #68
Casey VP-26
"TRF" Member

I am a big fan of gold, Gold watches will increase to cover the rising cost of gold, but the SS Sports watch is a different thing. No relationship between Gold prices and the collectability and prices of SS Sport Watches over the last 30 years. better add OMHO
Casey VP-26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 02:42 AM   #69
Kyle3130
2024 Pledge Member

Indeed

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ro...on-at-sothebys
Old 1 August 2020, 03:33 AM   #70
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omx5o View Post
Yeah, but then you’d have to melt it down and do all this metal work to make a bracelet out of the bullion. Might as well start with the PM watch.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 03:40 AM   #71
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jltait View Post
#shenanigans

I’m all about the pm bullion. Will pick up the pm watches once the Rolex bubble ends and gold is at $4k/ounce.
as if...
Old 1 August 2020, 03:49 AM   #72
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by eanzenberg View Post
That’s $10k retail. If you can’t get it, or don’t want to wait 2 years, that $10k becomes $20k gray. At that price, it starts to make sense to go $25k PM from an AD. AD will always win out on customer experience and trust.
I think that's a good point. As the prices of SS and PM pieces converge, people are less reluctant to stretch for the PM, especially with PM availability. Seems like we're in some paranormal bubble; one wonders where this will all end...probably won't be pretty. Keep some dry powder.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 03:58 AM   #73
Michael T
2024 Pledge Member

I would agree I have seen creep up in the prices. My sense is the buyers have been high income and with many of the high-end designer stores closed, no need to buy luxury clothes, and dampened demand for pricey air-travel related vacations, there is a section of the top ten percenters that have a lot more disposable income.
Michael T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 04:36 AM   #74
quakeroatmeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Watch
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchdisplay View Post

Gold has always been my thing as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love that Cartier.
quakeroatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 05:06 AM   #75
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I think the big difference between now and any other time is the power of Social Media, which has quite frankly taken over most people's lives and got way out of control, esp with the gotcha cancel culture for anyone who is not super on trend and on woke, and even they are now eating their own - it is Orwell's Big Brother and Thought Police, no matter how long ago those thoughts were, all gone into hyper overdrive.

So the drive to show off and display has never been greater or more greatly admired and coveted with ofc millions to be made as well, and it is the same with everything, not just luxury goods, but with food and pets and babies and microwaves and probably tampons as well. We are really deep into Huxley's Brave New World, and it is starting to turn into a dystopia.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 06:18 AM   #76
eanzenberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchdisplay View Post
I personally would prefer to buy from reputable grey market and when I say grey market I mean like DavidSW not Joma etc. I’m not quite sure what people like about the customer experience at a Rolex AD. It’s nothing, it’s a new watch. I’d rather it come to my door the next morning.

Sure, if you have a reputable grey dealer nearby. How many people are comfortable dropping $20k online on a steel watch sight-unseen, with a 3 day return policy and a 20% restock fee? 2 year weirdo warranty, which you probably won’t even use if you are creeped out by them? Some non-zero chance that if the watch is legit, it is a franken-watch made of other spare parts hobbled together?

When I was shopping for my SkyD, I contacted a few grays and most were shady as F, requesting wiring $3k to some phone number just to reserve the watch. Only thewatchbox felt legit. Conversely, I stopped by my local AD and got the PM SkyD I requested within 2 weeks of asking for it. No shady F. No questions of “is this legit”. 5 year Rolex warranty. Excellent customer service.

Can you imagine dropping $20k, then having to come to this forum, take a bunch of photos and ask “is this a legit watch?” It’s madness. No thank you. I can’t afford losing $20k. I’d rather spend a bit more, for a PM from an AD. If I couldn’t afford the PM, I would wait for an AD to stock the SS I wanted (and be on multiple lists) and be patient. Sorry, I (and most people) can’t spot a fake vs. a real Rolex. I don’t have the experience of owning 10+ SS watches and know what to look for. I don’t know how to spot a franken-watch. I’d rather not pay over MSRP for a SS with a surprise 10 years down the line sent off to RSC only for them to tell me the things wrong with the watch. It’s not worth the risk.

Just my 2c.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg DBB57F82-F5E5-46D4-BAFA-2EC7044CCA28.jpeg (79.8 KB, 398 views)
eanzenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 07:32 AM   #77
Binky1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 16610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I think the big difference between now and any other time is the power of Social Media, which has quite frankly taken over most people's lives and got way out of control, esp with the gotcha cancel culture for anyone who is not super on trend and on woke, and even they are now eating their own - it is Orwell's Big Brother and Thought Police, no matter how long ago those thoughts were, all gone into hyper overdrive.

So the drive to show off and display has never been greater or more greatly admired and coveted with ofc millions to be made as well, and it is the same with everything, not just luxury goods, but with food and pets and babies and microwaves and probably tampons as well. We are really deep into Huxley's Brave New World, and it is starting to turn into a dystopia.
You may well be right...I sincerely hope not. There is so much good stuff on this forum and then there is this OP. Oh well, as you said, Brave New World...as many have said: a separate area for availability, price, social media crap etc, on this forum would be great.
Old 1 August 2020, 07:50 AM   #78
eplsoccer7
2024 Pledge Member

55% of Americans have less than $1000 in savings. Jerome Powell bailed out corporate America and said "" to main street. He's created a bubble inside of a recession (and possibly heading into a depression). The paper wealth out there today "on the streets" is enormous and if there's one thing American's are good at, it's living beyond their means (what's the point of wealth if you can't show it right?!). That video was like a pump and dump for a penny stock. Every AD I've been to since COVID started has any PM Rolex you'd like. Smurf, Rootbeer, YG Sub, DD40s, Rosegold Daytonas, Skydwellers. You name it. The "must have" community will watch a video like that, take a HELOC on their house at 3% and buy a watch they shouldn't. FOMO at it's finest. Hopefully they get a lot of likes on from IG community.

Last edited by Lol-x; 1 August 2020 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: Profanity
eplsoccer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 08:05 AM   #79
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterskinner View Post
When history is written, what are the chances of them saying that in 2020, people had no idea what was coming down the track. There’s an air of unreality about. A sort of ‘it’s not happening’ attitude.
Doesn’t feel good to me, regardless of the price of Rolex!
Well said Peter.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 08:05 AM   #80
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eplsoccer7 View Post
55% of Americans have less than $1000 in savings. Jerome Powell bailed out corporate America. He's created a bubble inside of a recession (and possibly heading into a depression). The paper wealth out there today "on the streets" is enormous and if there's one thing American's are good at, it's living beyond their means (what's the point of wealth if you can't show it right?!). That video was like a pump and dump for a penny stock. Every AD I've been to since COVID started has any PM Rolex you'd like. Smurf, Rootbeer, YG Sub, DD40s, Rosegold Daytonas, Skydwellers. You name it. The "must have" community will watch a video like that, take a HELOC on their house at 3% and buy a watch they shouldn't. FOMO at it's finest. Hopefully they get a lot of likes on from IG community.
you gotta realize that the guy lives in miami and its a different world there than everywhere else in america...even nyc/la. lot of gold and a culture of rich people showing off. he also specifically mentioned a few models and didn't say all - rolex day date 2, skydweller, AP rose gold chrono and patek 5980
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 08:47 AM   #81
johnnyjazz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post

Very well said, the future does not look too bright.
johnnyjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 08:48 AM   #82
snok
"TRF" Member

Great thread. Learnt alot of things
snok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 08:52 AM   #83
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjazz View Post
Very well said, the future does not look too bright.
Social Media had so much promise and so much potential to do good and bring people together but the worst of human nature is also brought to the forefront and creates so much destruction and anguish, and the watch market and the current crazy imbalanced state it is in reflects that all rather too aptly.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 08:56 AM   #84
hgb4529
"TRF" Member

Watch: RO, Nautilus, GMT
I love me some gold too! Thankfully I made a big acquisition (for me at least) last year when gold was trading in the $1,200s. This is just a sample. I'm up to around 46 ounces currently.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0439 (1).jpg (121.3 KB, 365 views)
hgb4529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 09:02 AM   #85
acheronsgrief
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan111 View Post
Where did you get a RG Daytona for under 30k 2 months ago? Haven't seem them under 30k in over a year.
One of the TS on here. It has no box and papers and was missing one link on the bracelet, neither of which matter to me. It was about 5k less than the next best deal, so I couldn’t justify spending that for a link I won’t use and a box. It’s been my grail forever so I snapped it up quickly, I think it was only listed for an hour or two!
acheronsgrief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 09:08 AM   #86
peterpl
Banned

Maybe its just a re balance of the price differential between SS and PM.

Historically SS was about 1/3 or 1/4 of the price of PM. This may be long due since the prices of PM did not move that much compared to SS (percentage wise anyway) which I mainly think is due to the pure number of customers for a SS piece, which basically circles back to price point.

The issue that still makes zero sense to me is where is the money coming form? The Fed's money was not distributed to ppl that all went out and bought a Rolex and especially not a PM Rolex.

The money packages to business to keep staff on, they all cant be shonky and use that money to buy gold watches. I would like to think 99% of those businesses are legit and used that money to keep their workers on.

Unless its just pure FOMO or for some reason in the biggest financial impact ever people are going out and borrowing $30-40k to buy a watch (which is crazy in this climate) - its unbelievable.

Will be very interesting what happens in the next 6-12 months.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 10:37 AM   #87
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgb4529 View Post
I love me some gold too! Thankfully I made a big acquisition (for me at least) last year when gold was trading in the $1,200s. This is just a sample. I'm up to around 46 ounces currently.
46oz with or without the daydate?

Either way, that a nice stash. Well done

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 11:16 AM   #88
Polarexplorerii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570,BLNR,116610
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
I dont think so. Someone in the game at $10k is not in the game for $30-$40k.

When I was a SS guy there is no way I was going to pay for a PM piece. It was way way way beyond my means back then.
Yup, that is me right there!
Polarexplorerii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 12:01 PM   #89
RolexBrian
"TRF" Member

If the price of gold continues to increase you might be able to sell your gold Rolex to a "scrapper" (who will melt the gold down) and turn a profit. Sad but may be true one day.
RolexBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 03:18 PM   #90
ndrs63
"TRF" Member

Sorry, but I don’t see it. Give it another year, and you’ll see the situation the same as today, that is SS will be hot and PM not so much.

ndrs63 is offline   Reply With Quote