The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 5 October 2016, 09:21 AM   #61
Sunriz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
I have collected wheat pennies my whole life, have about 2,000 now; am traveling but when I get home will post a pic. I have most of the "rare" ones, a VDB for example, but nothing extremely valuable. Still waiting for that 1943 copper or 1944 steel to show up

(Oh, sorry, for international TRFers, a "Wheat" Penny is an American Penny from 1909 to 1958. It's called wheat because it has a wheat grain on the back )
I collect wheats as well. Still trying to get that VDB. I found a 1909 in the wild a few years ago but nothing similar since then. I have a few steel ones I bought from ebay however that was early on and Im unsure if they were polished.
Sunriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2016, 09:26 AM   #62
Sunriz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazenC5 View Post
I collect comic books also. Started in mid 80s...first purchase was Dr. Strange, collected a couple of shot boxes (mostly xmen, secret wars, wolverine miniseries, punisher miniseries, dark knight mini-series, killing joke, ASM 129, etc)...then moved away from it until a few years ago when I found online auctions, bidding on CGC graded key comics.

2012/2013 got:
Avengers #1 8.5
Avengers #4 9.2
Incredible Hulk #181 9.8

Want to pick up all the silver keys, but prices are soaring over the last decade.

Are you a quantity or quality collector?

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk
Im currently trying to finish my Amazing Spiderman collection. I have ASM 1 CGC 6.0 signed by Stan and then from 201 to 700 with a few CGCs in between. I got distracted recently with the original comic art so havent added anything new in a while. Plus, the rolex craze doesnt help much when it comes to adding new ones.

I would like to be a quality collector. The modern comics I def go for the CGC 9.8s but the older ones its whatever I think I can manage.
Old 5 October 2016, 09:27 AM   #63
Sunriz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metdrdg View Post
I collect video game systems (some games but mostly just the systems). Have nearly every console system developed.
Thats awesome. Theres nothing like playing Genesis and SuperNES with my friend when he comes by from time to time.
Old 5 October 2016, 09:36 AM   #64
TheRolexKingofLV
"TRF" Member

I collect Vintage National Cash Registers (NCR)...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (261.6 KB, 209 views)
Old 5 October 2016, 09:53 AM   #65
bmpregler
Banned

Watch: Sub Date/Tudor Chr
Knives, guns, BBQ smokers, grills and tools, books on African Hunters.
bmpregler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2016, 10:35 AM   #66
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

Do ex wives count? Very expensive.
Bluside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2016, 11:39 AM   #67
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

6.CONTROVERSIAL TOPICS OR POSTS such as those relating to politics, race, culture, religion, sexual orientation, objectification or discrimination, violence (toward persons or animals) will be subject to the final and absolute discretion of the Moderators to be immediately locked and/or removed without notice to any member. No gun, knife, weapon threads or pictures of such since we are a worldwide forum and many members are not comfortable with this type of material. Infraction points and a possible lifelong ban will inevitably accompany such pictures, posts, or threads.
Old 5 October 2016, 11:41 AM   #68
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Anyone collect anything besides watches

Quote:
Originally Posted by metdrdg View Post
I collect video game systems (some games but mostly just the systems). Have nearly every console system developed.

Do you have an early ADAM system? First one I ever owned.
Old 5 October 2016, 11:54 AM   #69
RXAPPP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5
Used to be match day programs and old coins in my younger days. Now it's watches and vintage watchmakers tools and reference books

RXAPPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2016, 11:56 AM   #70
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
I have the Tumi bug as well. It's all Paul's fault
Abdullah, you can join in our next TA club meeting; (Tumi Anonymous).

We all still buy Tumi, we just use a different name
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2016, 11:59 AM   #71
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunriz View Post
I collect wheats as well. Still trying to get that VDB. I found a 1909 in the wild a few years ago but nothing similar since then. I have a few steel ones I bought from ebay however that was early on and Im unsure if they were polished.
The VDBs are not easy to come by. I heard from another collector that there are some 1907 wheats, (not Indian head) THAT would be something to find.
Old 5 October 2016, 12:01 PM   #72
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluside View Post
Do ex wives count? Very expensive.
Old 5 October 2016, 12:02 PM   #73
anothernewphone
Banned

Watch: 116520
I also collect one-off (and regular) t-shirts that the company I work for has made. I'm hoping 20 years from now, they'll be big on the vintage market
anothernewphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2016, 12:40 PM   #74
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Watch: If you wish...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broxi View Post
Used to be match day programs and old coins in my younger days. Now it's watches and vintage watchmakers tools and reference books
Whenever you get tired of those please let me know.
On va hisser le drapeau blanc un point c'est tout.

- André Fortin
FeelingTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2016, 12:44 PM   #75
gummy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: AP PP Rolex
"E4XXXX" serial number Stratocaster Plus guitars...and Knives
gummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2016, 12:58 PM   #76
jefe1999
"TRF" Member

I'm a collector of vintage stereo equipment, particularly tube gear. I'm a little surprised that I'm the first one to mention stereo equipment as a hobby. A few years, or decades, ago stereo gear, cars and watches were often collected by the same set of guys.
jefe1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2016, 01:04 PM   #77
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
Quote:
Originally Posted by gummy View Post
"E4XXXX" serial number Stratocaster Plus guitars...and Knives
Why 1984 specifically if I may ask?

I collect collections. I have more Yamaha drums than any non-sponsored artist has a right to. Now I'm on the lookout for "Early American K" Zildjians. I have one in my collection and they are special.

I have a few pool cues, but three of them I made so they don't count.... So I guess that's only one known maker (Richard Black) and also a Mace. Maybe my pool book collection qualifies...

I have a bunch of flashlights, was even a member of a forum for a while, but settled on Surefire and I don't really collect any others. I only have two Surefires.

Sold all the firearms but one pistol and my grandfathers Winchester '94.

Vintage freestyle bikes. I'm down to a 1987 Haro Team Sport, an '86 unassembled Haro Master frame and fork and a pile of parts. Oh, and a comple, but rusty, '86 "rider" Haro Master. That's what I rode back in the day so what I like.

What is now vintage stereo equipment. But I just have enough to listen to and make recordings- not a collection of 32 preamps or whatever. Plus a metric ton of CDs, and maybe 100 records.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2016, 01:54 PM   #78
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
Bose makes superb classic pocket knives. I prefer small modern ones that you can open with one hand. But I appreciate the classics.
Juantxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2016, 02:17 PM   #79
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J!m View Post
...I have a few pool cues, but three of them I made so they don't count.... So I guess that's only one known maker (Richard Black) and also a Mace. Maybe my pool book collection qualifies...
I have a modest (by some standards) collection myself. Since you know Richard Black you have probably heard of my personal favorite, Ernie Gutierrez of Ginacue. My three favorite cues are all his. The one in the middle is among his first 100 cues, a Titleist conversion. I'm the original owner.

002.jpg

P1030229.jpg
Old 5 October 2016, 04:33 PM   #80
Sunriz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The VDBs are not easy to come by. I heard from another collector that there are some 1907 wheats, (not Indian head) THAT would be something to find.
A 1907 wheat Ive never seen but now Ill keep an eye out.
Old 5 October 2016, 05:00 PM   #81
"TRF" Member

I seem to have dozens of pairs of oakleys. I've acquired quite the collection of fine wine/champagne. But my most prized collection is of Pez dispensers. Yes, Pez. Kermit is my favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
830.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2016, 06:01 PM   #82
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Everything related to James Bond!
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2016, 12:08 AM   #83
gummy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: AP PP Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by J!m View Post
Why 1984 specifically if I may ask?

I collect collections. I have more Yamaha drums than any non-sponsored artist has a right to. Now I'm on the lookout for "Early American K" Zildjians. I have one in my collection and they are special.

I have a few pool cues, but three of them I made so they don't count.... So I guess that's only one known maker (Richard Black) and also a Mace. Maybe my pool book collection qualifies...

I have a bunch of flashlights, was even a member of a forum for a while, but settled on Surefire and I don't really collect any others. I only have two Surefires.

Sold all the firearms but one pistol and my grandfathers Winchester '94.

Vintage freestyle bikes. I'm down to a 1987 Haro Team Sport, an '86 unassembled Haro Master frame and fork and a pile of parts. Oh, and a comple, but rusty, '86 "rider" Haro Master. That's what I rode back in the day so what I like.

What is now vintage stereo equipment. But I just have enough to listen to and make recordings- not a collection of 32 preamps or whatever. Plus a metric ton of CDs, and maybe 100 records.
The "E4"...or early start plus models in general...Couple reasons...

The very early Strat Plus had E4XXXXX serial number...following Fender's serial number history that would indicate they are from 1984. The start Plus began production in 1987...

The Early production Strat Plus were very unique...the use of the split Wilkinson roller nut and the variation of the Sperzel or the later used Schaller locking tuners. Also to me the neck feel and action seem to be very unique on the early pieces too - I find the hunt very fun.

Kind of like with watches, I look for complete sets, more paperwork the better. Great website for information - http://xhefriguitars.com

Funny you mentioned Vintage freestyle - just dusted off my Hutch from storage last week
gummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2016, 01:16 AM   #84
ronin_ph
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shichinin View Post
This may sound childish but I collect Star Wars Lego sets.

my son visiting my office recently.

building these is very therapeutic.

ronin_ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2016, 01:22 AM   #85
SPEIRMOOR
"TRF" Member

Motorcycles
SPEIRMOOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2016, 01:36 AM   #86
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
A few sharp things from CRK, Williams Henry, Rocksteady, and Andre Thorburn. A few things that go boom and one that's powered by air which is perfect for the backyard. Shoes and boots have been a thing. Hard to dress nice in my opinion if your shoes or boots are not up to snuff.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2016, 02:59 AM   #87
mapalfa
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the grass grow
Quote:
Abdullah, you can join in our next TA club meeting; (Tumi Anonymous).

We all still buy Tumi, we just use a different name
I think you need to send me the details of the next meeting too
mapalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2016, 03:06 AM   #88
J!m
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gummy View Post
The "E4"...or early start plus models in general...Couple reasons...

The very early Strat Plus had E4XXXXX serial number...following Fender's serial number history that would indicate they are from 1984. The start Plus began production in 1987...

The Early production Strat Plus were very unique...the use of the split Wilkinson roller nut and the variation of the Sperzel or the later used Schaller locking tuners. Also to me the neck feel and action seem to be very unique on the early pieces too - I find the hunt very fun.

Kind of like with watches, I look for complete sets, more paperwork the better. Great website for information - http://xhefriguitars.com

Funny you mentioned Vintage freestyle - just dusted off my Hutch from storage last week
That is odd. I didn't know the details on the strat plus... I am familiar with the details. It had push buttons rather than a 5-way switch too right?

Anyway, what are the details on the Hutch? A trickstar or pro-something? I only did Haro back in the day but I've had a teal RL20-II that I didn't like (ride like a truck). Always liked the Dyno and rode one several years ago... rides nice too!
Old 6 October 2016, 07:21 AM   #89
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by multimedia View Post
As a cyclist fan who's been around the tour a couple of times, I admit I got a bit intrigued by this one. Care to share any names? :)

Cheers,
Joe
I have several jerseys worn by Eddy Merckx including a Yellow Jersey. Roche, Kelly, Moser, Indurain, Hinult, LeMond, Pantani, many from teammate Laurent Fignon, and Jacques Anquetil.
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2016, 08:55 AM   #90
J!m
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Ferguson View Post
I have a modest (by some standards) collection myself. Since you know Richard Black you have probably heard of my personal favorite, Ernie Gutierrez of Ginacue. My three favorite cues are all his. The one in the middle is among his first 100 cues, a Titleist conversion. I'm the original owner.

Attachment 785992

Attachment 785993
Excellent collection! Ernie is world class. No question there. It's great you got one of his first. I suspect you have met him as well being an early customer.

The one I play with (when I get time) is a titlist conversion I did. Leather wrap too which (I'm told) came out better than some "professional" leather wraps... but I'm not happy with it and have no time to correct it.

The titlist conversions always play awesome. As long as they are left full splice and not cut down to a short splice (My opinion anyway).

My grail is a Gus. More so than a balabuska believe it or not. Even though they are short splice, the feel is really something special. Plus he did a few at 59" which I prefer. George's cues were predominantly 57" and just too short for my monkey arms.

One of the other cues I made is a John Davis blank. He made blanks for Balabuska back in the 70's. he's still at it last I knew. That cue looks the best but the titlist still plays better.

I've always loved the game but never mastered it.