The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 May 2024, 11:18 PM   #61
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jn2d1986 View Post
So I’ve been going to my AD for about a year and a half and have purchased about 25k in jewelry for the wife plus a 31 datejust for her. I have purchased a sub date and Rootbeer. This week I stopped by to say hi and he offered me a fluted 41 datejust Wimbledon dial which I purchased. Do you all think this is in the ballpark to start getting some more VIP treatment like a Daytona or skydweller mint green etc? Or am I still small potatoes? Market is southeast in a good size city
If you have to ask or wonder about it, chances are you are in the "small potatoes" category.

:)
Old 25 May 2024, 11:33 PM   #62
deeman54
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500LN/126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
All ADs are different. I have a very modest jewelry spend and have gotten a few watches within a year. I’m waiting on a third. It’s different for me, as I’m requesting 36 mm pieces, and not a Pepsi or a Daytona. However, some folks can’t get anything. So, I feel like my approach is working. I show up monthly, just to chat and check in. My SA sends occasional texts to let me know he hasn’t forgotten about my request. You need to be friendly and confident. Bottom line is this: If they like you, they will sell you a Rolex.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
+1

The last sentence is right on the money. If they like you they most certainly will sell to you!!!!
deeman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2024, 11:49 PM   #63
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
So I’ve been going to my AD for about a year and a half and have purchased about 25k in jewelry for the wife plus a 31 datejust for her. I have purchased a sub date and Rootbeer. This week I stopped by to say hi and he offered me a fluted 41 datejust Wimbledon dial which I purchased. Do you all think this is in the ballpark to start getting some more VIP treatment like a Daytona or skydweller mint green etc? Or am I still small potatoes? Market is southeast in a good size city
I have no idea, but if I had to guess, I highly doubt you are in the VIP ballpark.

As a matter of fact, I wouldn't think you're even in the parking lot.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2024, 11:51 PM   #64
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
These threads are always funny to me about relationships with AD's, purchase history, where do you stand with the AD, what can you get, etc. As a long time collector/buyer/owner/flipper and whatever other label fits, it is sometimes, I have to pause and remember not everyone has been at it for more than 30 years. Life experience is something that only time and interaction will give you and listening is not the same thing as experiencing. It is a different world from when I started collecting in the early 90's, both in a good way and in a bad way. The quality of watches, manufacturing methods and so many other factors have changed. The big one we beat to death is price but I hate to say it is what it is. I am saying all of this to say that the OP seems to have a perspective from where he is right now. Sounds like he is happy and working toward a goal that expands his collection with AD purchases. Good for him. For me, the AD is a viable option, as well as, purchases from our Trusted Sellers and from individuals I know through the local watch club. Time and money are two factors that while it seems we never have too much money, it is really that we do not have enough time. OP, enjoy yourself but be open to looking at other avenues and resources for your collection. Information and knowledge are never a bad thing.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2024, 11:54 PM   #65
ROlesorusLEX
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Tiers of a Clown

With respect to Smokey Robinson

Sent from my NE2215 using Tapatalk
ROlesorusLEX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2024, 02:04 AM   #66
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROlesorusLEX View Post
Tiers of a Clown

With respect to Smokey Robinson

Sent from my NE2215 using Tapatalk
I see what you did there.
Old 26 May 2024, 02:29 AM   #67
messikens
"TRF" Member

Since you asked you know the answer already... But you don't want to admit it so you're asking strangers if your chances of getting a Daytona are better than you think they are.

Hate to disappoint : they're still zero
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2024, 03:13 AM   #68
Littletommy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

You will most likely need to marry his eldest daughter. Make sure that you ask if she has a significant dowry to provide. Then, you can use that to gain favor with the AD because he will want his money back. Done deal.
Littletommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2024, 04:38 AM   #69
deeman54
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500LN/126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubins930 View Post
The whole premise of this conversation is insane…

No matter how weird the convo is, it’s a real convo….. AD’s want to sell to their most valued customer which really ends up being the customer that spends the most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
deeman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2024, 06:51 AM   #70
Cassian739

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
These threads are always funny to me about relationships with AD's, purchase history, where do you stand with the AD, what can you get, etc. As a long time collector/buyer/owner/flipper and whatever other label fits, it is sometimes, I have to pause and remember not everyone has been at it for more than 30 years. Life experience is something that only time and interaction will give you and listening is not the same thing as experiencing. It is a different world from when I started collecting in the early 90's, both in a good way and in a bad way. The quality of watches, manufacturing methods and so many other factors have changed. The big one we beat to death is price but I hate to say it is what it is. I am saying all of this to say that the OP seems to have a perspective from where he is right now. Sounds like he is happy and working toward a goal that expands his collection with AD purchases. Good for him. For me, the AD is a viable option, as well as, purchases from our Trusted Sellers and from individuals I know through the local watch club. Time and money are two factors that while it seems we never have too much money, it is really that we do not have enough time. OP, enjoy yourself but be open to looking at other avenues and resources for your collection. Information and knowledge are never a bad thing.
Very well said.
Cassian739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2024, 07:01 AM   #71
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinnakeet View Post
You have demonstrated that if you are called you can make the purchase. That’s important.

Husband and I have a very good purchase history and we do get called and can get what we want at times. But I’ll give you some examples. One night when we were in picking up a watch for my husband a young man came in wearing a steel Daytona, he was there to pick up a watch for his mother. It was a jewel covered Rolex for $180,000. Another time a man came in that we know, he was there to pick up his $380,000 Jacob and Co watch. My husband was with a friend who posts here from time to time and bought his wife a $90,000 Rolex, on a whim. That’s what we are up against.
This is a great post and articulated very accurately.

There is a common perception that people have to buy stuff "they don't want" at the AD to get the hyped Rolexes and such and that the VIPS are buying stuff they don't want just to get the "good stuff"...

That is simply not the case.

The VIP or VVIP tend to spend alotta money (but even that is relative perspective) @ ADs organically. They buy lots and lots and lots of stuff that they like or as gifts. It can be impulsively. It can be ordered (special custom jewelry)...etc

They aren't calculating how much they have spent in order to get XXXXX.. counting each dollar or concerned about their "status". It's already happened. They need not be concerned with such details.

They buy constantly, consistently and at a high level on items they WANT.

In turn, the AD offers them the cream of the crop in terms of exclusive pieces to reward them for their loyalty and to keep them engaged and interested.

So, in other words, if the AD isn't calling you with offer to buy exclusive references, you haven't bought enough.

I think for the OP, they have done what they can with what they purchased. To get anymore traction they would need to have bought more...but it's probably too late as there are so many buyers already engaged and spending it's goin to be really hard to get to their level without buying organically.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2024, 07:53 AM   #72
jn2d1986
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
This is a great post and articulated very accurately.

There is a common perception that people have to buy stuff "they don't want" at the AD to get the hyped Rolexes and such and that the VIPS are buying stuff they don't want just to get the "good stuff"...

That is simply not the case.

The VIP or VVIP tend to spend alotta money (but even that is relative perspective) @ ADs organically. They buy lots and lots and lots of stuff that they like or as gifts. It can be impulsively. It can be ordered (special custom jewelry)...etc

They aren't calculating how much they have spent in order to get XXXXX.. counting each dollar or concerned about their "status". It's already happened. They need not be concerned with such details.

They buy constantly, consistently and at a high level on items they WANT.

In turn, the AD offers them the cream of the crop in terms of exclusive pieces to reward them for their loyalty and to keep them engaged and interested.

So, in other words, if the AD isn't calling you with offer to buy exclusive references, you haven't bought enough.

I think for the OP, they have done what they can with what they purchased. To get anymore traction they would need to have bought more...but it's probably too late as there are so many buyers already engaged and spending it's goin to be really hard to get to their level without buying organically.
Too late? Hmm idk about that. This isn’t a place that sells super high end stuff. Rolex is their top of the line watch and in terms of jewelry they top out with David yurman and Roberto coin etc
jn2d1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2024, 08:06 AM   #73
Watchsprings
"TRF" Member

If you don’t ask, you don’t get.
Watchsprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2024, 10:17 AM   #74
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Too late? Hmm idk about that. This isn’t a place that sells super high end stuff. Rolex is their top of the line watch and in terms of jewelry they top out with David yurman and Roberto coin etc
Then what are you waiting for? Ask for what you want and see what comes your way
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2024, 12:47 PM   #75
ganagati
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Southeast in a good sized city can mean lots of different things, and will very likely determine just how big a client you are. How do you stack up next to those others who frequent the store?
ganagati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2024, 01:19 PM   #76
Easy E

Quote:
Just about the time the Rolex crazy kicked into high gear I managed to establish a real p2p relationship with an SA that basically ran the Rolex counter at, what sounds like, a very similar AD. Over the next 2-3 years I bought a pile of watches through this guy. He left the AD to stake his claim in the real estate market, but we still stayed in touch, still do to this day. Not long after he left he asked me if I made any recent watch purchases. I told him no, the AD had basically cut me off, and I bitched about that for a moment because my spend with them was just into 6 figures by then. When I was done bitching he said look, we have people that spend that routinely on a single purchase. I know you’re upset, but there are some folks that come into that store that drop big time bank rolls. I stopped bitching….mostly.
Easy E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2024, 01:42 PM   #77
Andad

Watch: A few.
The current relationship you have with your AD is about on the same level as being a visitor here on TRF.

Ask you AD directly and let me know where you stand?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2024, 01:43 PM   #78
TheHulk
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tonas
Quote:
Sorry pal
His name isn’t Pal either as far as your status with the AD, i think you shound take a chance and demand some pieces. Be a bully with them
TheHulk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2024, 07:13 PM   #79
4reRlxGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3970
Quote:
I'm sure they have large diamonds available (huge margins). 2022 was my 25th wedding anniversary so I ordered a 3.0+ high quality stone (prices were still high back then). It wasn't enough to be rewarded with steel Daytona but it was enough to get a Pepsi.
4reRlxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2024, 07:19 PM   #80
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Very simple.

Does the AD call you on a regular basis and tell you what is available.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2024, 07:58 PM   #81
Hulkhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLRO
As you have only been shopping at your AD 18 months you are pretty much a new customer. They will have many customers who have been known and buying for 5, 10, 20+ years.

You would have to be dropping huge money to become a VIP straight off the bat. You have picked up are nice but it takes time to be established as a loyal/frequent customer. Iv been buying about 5 years and i know there are people who have a much longer history than me.

Getting invited to the events and the like is a good indication you are well thought of.
Hulkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2024, 08:41 PM   #82
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
It sounds like you’ve asked the question but don’t like the answers. As many have already mentioned me included just simply ask your AD how far off getting what you want you really are. Tbh I think you need to probably spend a lot more hence why I said in my first post just go grey to which you refused. Something has to give either you spend more to get what you’re looking for or you buy from a trusted reseller otherwise it looks like it could be a long wait
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2024, 11:45 PM   #83
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Each AD is different. Many posters here have said they have gotten desirable watches with little or no purchase history from ADs. Some ADs are really into selling the watches to enthusiasts while others simply focus on maximizing the overall profits to the store.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2024, 11:53 PM   #84
jn2d1986
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Each AD is different. Many posters here have said they have gotten desirable watches with little or no purchase history from ADs. Some ADs are really into selling the watches to enthusiasts while others simply focus on maximizing the overall profits to the store.
I think the few I’ve gotten are pretty desirable and I love them
Old 27 May 2024, 12:43 AM   #85
fsprow
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Just to give some perspective with one example. A year ago I was in a store which sells high-end watches and jewelry. While I was chatting, two young men in casual sports clothing came in and introduced themselves. They began shopping and accumulated a good inventory of watches from the safe and also jewelry. When they left, I asked my contact how much they had spent. The answer was $1.2 million.

I believe anyone who was on a “list” for a watch model these fellows purchased will be waiting a while longer.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2024, 01:41 AM   #86
RTG

Watch: YM42 Ti
Quote:
I love what I’ve bought and that’s what I’ve asked for. So no issue there but I’d still like to keep growing the collection. Of course when I bring up the heavy hitters he notes it but I don’t think there’s real traction there. And no I’m not a guy that’s going to go grey. The jewelry for the wife is stuff I’d buy anyway
I think time is as important as money. If you are buying other items anyway, then I would think you’re in great position to be offered some unicorns going forward. When, or how long, depends on your location and your dealers overall clientele. If you’re a customer of theirs for a decade, you’re gonna get much better treatment than some random Joe who walks in off the street every month asking for a Pepsi, or a Joe who buys one watch hoping for a Pepsi.

It’s worth the wait as unicorns are not solitary creatures. Once your AD decides you provide a suitable habitat for unicorns, they will offer you more than one!
Old 27 May 2024, 12:51 PM   #87
train-time
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Every AD and every market is different. Large chains with numerous SA's vs independents with a couple locations have differing criteria of what qualifies as a VIP. I'm near a medium sized city also and would say your history is small potatoes. Watches at our local AD don't count as purchase history unless you are buying PM pieces encrusted with diamonds. Other jewelry and diamonds count.

I recall telling my ADs manager about a post where the owner of an AD told a customer about a guy spending $160k on jewelry qualifying for a SS Daytona allocation. He laughed and said they have way too many customers spending way more than that and that amount was way too small to get a Daytona at retail.

I attended an event they sponsored a couple years back for watch enthusiasts and had to squeeze my Subaru in between a Bentley and a Lamborghini in their parking lot for the event. I guess that put me in my place.
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2024, 01:13 PM   #88
jn2d1986
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by train-time View Post
Every AD and every market is different. Large chains with numerous SA's vs independents with a couple locations have differing criteria of what qualifies as a VIP. I'm near a medium sized city also and would say your history is small potatoes. Watches at our local AD don't count as purchase history unless you are buying PM pieces encrusted with diamonds. Other jewelry and diamonds count.

I recall telling my ADs manager about a post where the owner of an AD told a customer about a guy spending $160k on jewelry qualifying for a SS Daytona allocation. He laughed and said they have way too many customers spending way more than that and that amount was way too small to get a Daytona at retail.

I attended an event they sponsored a couple years back for watch enthusiasts and had to squeeze my Subaru in between a Bentley and a Lamborghini in their parking lot for the event. I guess that put me in my place.
Haha thank you for the reply but i definitely don’t drive a Subaru.
Old 27 May 2024, 01:20 PM   #89
Andad

Watch: A few.
There is your possible issue.....a WRX will give you some cred.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2024, 01:20 PM   #90
PandaLover
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtg View Post
i think time is as important as money. If you are buying other items anyway, then i would think you’re in great position to be offered some unicorns going forward. When, or how long, depends on your location and your dealers overall clientele. If you’re a customer of theirs for a decade, you’re gonna get much better treatment than some random joe who walks in off the street every month asking for a pepsi, or a joe who buys one watch hoping for a pepsi.

It’s worth the wait as unicorns are not solitary creatures. Once your ad decides you provide a suitable habitat for unicorns, they will offer you more than one!
+1
PandaLover is offline   Reply With Quote