The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 March 2018, 06:27 AM   #61
lucevan le stelle
"TRF" Member

Yes. No question. But it is an apples and oranges thing as the Rolex mission is all about the "tool" aspect. But with GS be careful to pick your spots, some models have better and some worse, value retention. At the risk of negative comments I would also say GS is go-to if you want a higher end quartz piece and at a better price than the discontinued Rolex variants.
lucevan le stelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2018, 07:59 AM   #62
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
In spite of being superior in terms of finishing, there's something about Grand Seiko that leaves me cold.

I look at them on pictures, I watch video reviews and documentaries of the factory, appreciate the great attention to details in their dial, look at how much effort and dedication the watchmakers put into their work but I fail to connect emotionally. The end result is impressive in the small details but the overall design language is boring and generic to me. I have a similar feeling about Japanese cars, I find them aesthetically so uninspiring and yet recognise their great reliability.

I read so many good comments from owners here and elsewhere that leave little doubt as to the level of craftsmanship that go in these pieces.

Maybe GS is not for me or maybe it's an acquired taste that comes with time and I'm just not there yet in my collecting journey to fully appreciate it.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2018, 08:10 AM   #63
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucevan le stelle View Post
Yes. No question. But it is an apples and oranges thing as the Rolex mission is all about the "tool" aspect. But with GS be careful to pick your spots, some models have better and some worse, value retention. At the risk of negative comments I would also say GS is go-to if you want a higher end quartz piece and at a better price than the discontinued Rolex variants.
This is also a good way to look at it.
Seiko Quartz is really great stuff and the thickness is respectable as mentioned earlier in the thread.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2018, 08:17 AM   #64
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Maybe just as finished as a PP.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2018, 08:19 AM   #65
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
They're very cool.. but.. Not for me either. I actually prefer the inexpensive Seikos like the Shogun. I've batted the idea of buying one around numerous times.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2018, 08:23 AM   #66
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
I have been wearing GS’s for the past 4/5 years now (strictly like Seiko/GS/Rolex) & yes their F&F appears to be more refined than Rolex, maybe due to the fact Rolex is typically referred to as the tool watch.
Onequik135i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2018, 08:28 AM   #67
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
Of course GS is better finished than Rolex. No question about it.

Such a stunning pair.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2018, 09:07 AM   #68
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gs22.jpg (231.0 KB, 198 views)
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2018, 09:18 AM   #69
thewolfofmiddlesex
"TRF" Member

Spring drive .... damn thats smoooooth

I was actually looking into the spring drive movement employed in some of the Grand Seiko models. The technological feat is amazing. This chap really explains it well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QSbheeMIHk&t=21s
Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
thewolfofmiddlesex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2018, 10:36 AM   #70
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewolfofmiddlesex View Post
I was actually looking into the spring drive movement employed in some of the Grand Seiko models. The technological feat is amazing. This chap really explains it well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QSbheeMIHk&t=21s
Seiko has always been up there with movement tech, too. It was churning out hi-beat watches with 28,800 and even 36,000 bph movements in the 1960s, when Rolex was still chugging along at 19,800 bph.

I'm not knocking Rolex (my collection is pretty large), but give credit where it's due for Seiko.

These three are all still running to within a couple of seconds per day. Not bad looking, either, for pushing 50.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0616.JPG (271.9 KB, 184 views)
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2018, 10:38 AM   #71
limenko
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Seiko has always been up there with movement tech, too. It was churning out hi-beat watches with 28,800 and even 36,000 bph movements in the 1960s, when Rolex was still chugging along at 19,800 bph.

I'm not knocking Rolex (my collection is pretty large), but give credit where it's due for Seiko.

These three are all still running to within a couple of seconds per day. Not bad looking, either, for pushing 50.

Lovely KSs Adam!
limenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2018, 10:44 AM   #72
Old Expat Beast

Thanks Milan
Old 14 March 2018, 11:42 AM   #73
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
Yes, the finish and detail of GS is far superior to Rolex. In fact...

If you want to feel disappointment, look through a 10X loupe at your Rolex. If you want to feel contentment and satisfaction, look through one at your GS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
The GS is so good, it's clinical.
I do also wonder about the longevity of the materials and finishes.
Only time will tell.
They've been around for 50+ years and most vintage GSs I've seen from the 60s & 70s look at lot better now than Rolex from the same era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
I do love the look of many of the GSs but having watched a few videos recently I can't help but notice the orange peel effect on the side of the some of the cases. I think this was on titanium models (maybe the snowflake). They just didn't seem to quite get the flawless mirrored finishing but perhaps that's an issue inherent with using titanium.
It is an issue with titanium, and GS is about the only manufacturer that attempts and can mirror-polish it, using a proprietary titanium alloy. One of my GSs is an SBGJ011 Hi Beat GMT and it has a polished titanium finish like no other I've seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLs3 View Post
Ill stick with rolex...no contest. Enjoy those SEIKO’s....
Wild guess, but I don't think the craftsmen and women over at the GS studios are losing any sleep over your assessment.

As for me, I'll continue to enjoy my GSs sharing wrist time with my various GMT Masters, Daytona, and Day Date, none of which equal my GSs' finishing, workmanship, or detail.
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2018, 06:32 PM   #74
wuyeah
"TRF" Member

GS have lost me by design. So I don't care to look into details.
wuyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2018, 06:33 PM   #75
SkyKing31
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tridor Masterpiece
NO ... Nothing is better than Rolex.
Old 14 March 2018, 08:17 PM   #76
jezza17
"TRF" Member

Watch: DRSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuyeah View Post
GS have lost me by design. So I don't care to look into details.
Agreed. As well constructed as they are, I’m not a fan of the designs they offer.
jezza17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2018, 08:17 PM   #77
Takonwong
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rippin View Post
I just recently acquired a GS Hi-beat GMT "Peacock" and it's such a beautiful watch to look at. The watch case and dial are executed with great precision and it offers a different aesthetic compared to the Swiss brands. It's a watch I could stare at for a very long time, especially in the sun where the dial really shines.

With that said it isn't perfect. There are a few things about it, that collectively, puts it below my GMT IIc. Most of these are commonly known criticisms for GS's GMT line:
  • The case is too thick at 14.4mm. That's as thick as my Omega PO (2500 series). They need to reduce it by 2mm. But the GS weighs the same as the GMT IIc, so it still wears comfortably.
  • The crown action is good, better than Omega, but still not as smooth as Rolex.
  • The date takes about 45 mins to change over AND it doesn't fully change until 15 mins after the hour.
  • The GMT hand is a hair off from the hour markers when the minute hand is at 60 min.
  • The bracelet, while not cheap, does feel more "loose" out of the box. There were no stiff/squeaky links on this bracelet (as you often would find on a new Rolex or Omega). The clasp is average, nothing to write home about, but does the job. There are no micro adjustments but that can be said about a lot of pricey watches out there.

All in all I do like this watch as it has a very different personality to the offerings from Rolex. If they addressed the issues above it would be a killer watch.
The thickness is why I returned the watch and got the imo beautiful snowflake.

I noticed the date change last night as I was discussing watches with my friend and noticed it'd gone midnight and the date was slowly ticking over which caused me concern until I read this post! The Rolex GMT just clicked over and the AP... date hadn't moved! (It was 00.03 when I looked)

I love the Snowflake because it wears so well it doesn't draw attention from the majority of people, and yes it's better finished than the Rolex watches I have / had.
Takonwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2018, 08:29 PM   #78
HL65

Watch: One on my wrist.
Many watches are finished better than Rolex but that’s not why I buy Rolex. Can’t speak to GS as never have owned or even seen one. From pics they look like fine watches though with top level finishing. For me though Rolex is the one brand that I always stick to and when I stray come back to.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2018, 09:08 PM   #79
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyKing31 View Post
NO ... Nothing is better than Rolex.
well, that's settled then.....
asiparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2018, 09:24 PM   #80
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
For the uneducated like myself, what is the dial located at the 7 o'clock position for?

samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2018, 09:25 PM   #81
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Power reserve
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2018, 09:29 PM   #82
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by limenko View Post
Big fan of the GS here and yes it is a better finished product than Rolex, Adam's email above sums it up nicely. Here is my one....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beautiful timepiece
BLNR Nairobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2018, 09:36 PM   #83
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post
Power reserve
So this is based on simply winding the crown? This particular model does not have automatic winding?
Old 14 March 2018, 09:42 PM   #84
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Many watches are finished better than Rolex but that’s not why I buy Rolex. Can’t speak to GS as never have owned or even seen one. From pics they look like fine watches though with top level finishing. For me though Rolex is the one brand that I always stick to and when I stray come back to.
Of course, but the suggestion was never that people shouldn't buy Rolex because GS is better. It was simply a (rhetorical, IMO) question as to whether GS was a better finish. I think, to those of us not in denial, the answer is a clear and resounding "yes." Rolex are great watches, there's no denying that, that's why we're all here. Let's just not pretend it is what it ain't.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2018, 09:45 PM   #85
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
So this is based on simply winding the crown? This particular model does not have automatic winding?
Google 'Seiko Spring Drive'.
Old 14 March 2018, 09:55 PM   #86
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Google 'Seiko Spring Drive'.
Very interesting. Had no idea it used a quartz crystal to regulate with no battery. I'm going to read some more on this when I get some free time. Accurate within 1 sec/day - That's pretty amazing!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk
Old 14 March 2018, 10:08 PM   #87
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Very interesting. Had no idea it used a quartz crystal to regulate with no battery. I'm going to read some more on this when I get some free time. Accurate within 1 sec/day - That's pretty amazing!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk
It's a really interesting and unique concept. Many owners seem to report 1 or 2 secs/month. Seiko tends to under-promise with specs.
Old 14 March 2018, 10:09 PM   #88
farscott
"TRF" Member

In my view, the average Grand Seiko is better finished than the average Rolex. But Rolex almost never spends a lot of time on movement finish because the average customer will never see the movement. If Rolex wants to do so, they can finish as well as anyone. Here is an example (stock photo).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex-Cellini-back.jpg (78.9 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex-Prince_Yellow-gold-641x900.jpg (59.0 KB, 97 views)
farscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2018, 10:22 PM   #89
HL65

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
Of course, but the suggestion was never that people shouldn't buy Rolex because GS is better. It was simply a (rhetorical, IMO) question as to whether GS was a better finish. I think, to those of us not in denial, the answer is a clear and resounding "yes." Rolex are great watches, there's no denying that, that's why we're all here. Let's just not pretend it is what it ain't.
Who said it was? Your post makes no sense. My answer was to the OP’s post not the article. Not sure what you don’t understand about it. Let me try to help you and make it clearer: They might be better finished much like other top brands but I have no idea as never have seen one outside of photos. I don’t really care though as I don’t buy Rolex for their finishing.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2018, 10:29 PM   #90
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
It's a really interesting and unique concept. Many owners seem to report 1 or 2 secs/month. Seiko tends to under-promise with specs.
The techie in my makes me want to pick one up after reading about the spring drive (and the fit & finish as well). Gotta give it up to their engineering crew