The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 February 2023, 02:57 AM   #61
D3R3K
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO-0001
I think the obvious choice is the Milgauss. It's funky and the kind of a relic when you consider the anti-magnetism capabilities of all modern Rolex watches with standard movements. No need for the Faraday cage and the resulting larger case. I wouldn't mind seeing the YachtMaster 2 go away. IMO It's the worst model in their lineup.
D3R3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2023, 03:21 AM   #62
ROLEX*
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEXROLEXROLEX
Some sports model and some classic models will be discontinued
Old 10 February 2023, 03:30 AM   #63
jgottsman11
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: President
My AD just told me this morning that the Day Date line is getting discontinued except for the white gold models
jgottsman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2023, 05:05 AM   #64
JH419
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto Kupferschein View Post
BLNR the run for 10 years is over, will be replace by a Coke bezel.
Agreed. If I had to pick which watch is out, its this guy. 10 years seems to be the magic number for Rolex.
JH419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2023, 07:56 AM   #65
blada4life
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH419 View Post
Agreed. If I had to pick which watch is out, its this guy. 10 years seems to be the magic number for Rolex.
and you guys think rolex will have a GMT pepsi and coke at the same time? i just dont think it will happen. the watches will look almost identical. they have done moves in the past few years to differentiate the models to avoid cannibalization (i.e. getting rid of the all black GMT, which resembled the sub; changing the dial on the white gold pepsi; not offering similar dial colors on SS vs. gold watches), so what makes you think they will keep similar colored bezels out at the same time? If anything, they will get rid of the pepsi, although i suspect they may just get rid of the white gold Pepsi and release a white gold coke only (for now).
blada4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2023, 07:57 AM   #66
norcalctr
"TRF" Member

Wait two months to get the results
norcalctr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2023, 08:20 AM   #67
JH419
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blada4life View Post
and you guys think rolex will have a GMT pepsi and coke at the same time? i just dont think it will happen. the watches will look almost identical. they have done moves in the past few years to differentiate the models to avoid cannibalization (i.e. getting rid of the all black GMT, which resembled the sub; changing the dial on the white gold pepsi; not offering similar dial colors on SS vs. gold watches), so what makes you think they will keep similar colored bezels out at the same time? If anything, they will get rid of the pepsi, although i suspect they may just get rid of the white gold Pepsi and release a white gold coke only (for now).
I mean to your point who would have ever thought there would be three variants of the Pepsi? SS, WG Blue Dial, WG Meter. Its not like the Coke variant and Pepsi variant didn't coexist together at some point.

Plus the Black GMT was discontinued because it was also on the 10 year life cycle. Released in 2008 and discontinued in 2018

I personally dont think there is a reason for them to release a WG Coke. Reasoning they did that with the Pepsi was because the bezel insert was too difficult to produce. Its not the red that's hard to produce. Its the overlay of blue over the red ceramic that makes it hard in a single piece. That's why a few Pepsi bezels look purple in certain lighting. The process to make a Coke ceramic bezel would be much easier since its just black over red.

Maybe if they do release a Coke it will be only available on a certain bracelet? maybe all brushed oyster? There is plenty of ways Rolex can still differentiate the product lines if a Coke and Pepsi if both existed.

This is just my thought. Probably all wrong lol
Old 10 February 2023, 08:24 AM   #68
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I mean to your point who would have ever thought there would be three variants of the Pepsi? SS, WG Blue Dial, WG Meter. Its not like the Coke variant and Pepsi variant didn't coexist together at some point.

Plus the Black GMT was discontinued because it was also on the 10 year life cycle. Released in 2008 and discontinued in 2018

I personally dont think there is a reason for them to release a WG Coke. Reasoning they did that with the Pepsi was because the bezel insert was too difficult to produce. Its not the red that's hard to produce. Its the overlay of blue over the red ceramic that makes it hard in a single piece. That's why a few Pepsi bezels look purple in certain lighting. The process to make a Coke ceramic bezel would be much easier since its just black over red.

Maybe if they do release a Coke it will be only available on a certain bracelet? maybe all brushed oyster? There is plenty of ways Rolex can still differentiate the product lines if a Coke and Pepsi if both existed.

Plus the GMT LN was obviously produced concurrently with the black Sub.

I was aware that the Pepsi bezel is hard to produce, but trying to figure out why that ties into them only releasing it in WG for a while. Was this to keep production lower while they kept perfecting it?
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2023, 08:51 AM   #69
blada4life
"TRF" Member

Quote:

i was actually thinking this may happen last year , before they released the oyster bracelet on the GMTs. i assumed they might release a coke but keep it on oyster only to differentiate the models. but now that they released both bracelets for the GMT, i cant imagine they would put out a coke and pepsi. i am more inclined to think that with the production difficulties of the pepsi bezel (hence 3 different variants in a 3 year span), all pepsi variants may be gone this year or next and replaced with coke. That would leave the GMT line a lot more consistent: coke, batman, and riddler (all with black at the top and color at the bottom).
Old 10 February 2023, 09:02 AM   #70
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

I find it strains credulity to think they would discontinue the Pepsi. It took them a while and some will argue it's still not perfect, but the fact is they made it, and a Pepsi ceramic has been in production almost 10 years. And it's the most popular GMT bezel. I doubt they just throw in the towel because of supposed production difficulties of all things. Maybe they just raise the MSRP on these above the other GMT colors to compensate.

It's the first and most iconic Rolex GMT, arguably any GMT. It would be almost like Rolex discontinuing the black bezel Submariner.
Old 10 February 2023, 09:11 AM   #71
blada4life
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dark knight View Post
I find it strains credulity to think they would discontinue the Pepsi. It took them a while and some will argue it's still not perfect, but the fact is they made it, and a Pepsi ceramic has been in production almost 10 years. And it's the most popular GMT bezel. I doubt they just throw in the towel because of supposed production difficulties of all things. Maybe they just raise the MSRP on these above the other GMT colors to compensate.

It's the first and most iconic Rolex GMT, arguably any GMT. It would be almost like Rolex discontinuing the black bezel Submariner.
you're probably right, but you cant ignore the fact it was discontinued from 2007-2014, until re-released in the white gold variant as a 116710. then in 2018 it was updated with a new reference as the 126710. i just dont see the coke being released at the same time as the pepsi, but of course we dont know and rolex has a way of surprising us.
Old 10 February 2023, 09:23 AM   #72
JH419
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Plus the GMT LN was obviously produced concurrently with the black Sub.

I was aware that the Pepsi bezel is hard to produce, but trying to figure out why that ties into them only releasing it in WG for a while. Was this to keep production lower while they kept perfecting it?
Correct. People speculated that it was done intentionally to lower production, until they perfected the ceramic recipe.
Old 10 February 2023, 10:03 AM   #73
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blada4life View Post
you're probably right, but you cant ignore the fact it was discontinued from 2007-2014, until re-released in the white gold variant as a 116710. then in 2018 it was updated with a new reference as the 126710. i just dont see the coke being released at the same time as the pepsi, but of course we dont know and rolex has a way of surprising us.
Well the 2007-2014 absence was because they literally couldn't do the ceramic Pepsi and were phasing out aluminum throughout the lineup.

I personally think the BLNR is much more likely to be discontinued, if a GMT is indeed on the chopping block. It's had a good 10 year run, and in some ways it's a bit of an aberration in that Rolex wanted to do a bi-color bezel and it was the easiest color scheme to pull off at the time.
Old 10 February 2023, 10:04 AM   #74
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Correct. People speculated that it was done intentionally to lower production, until they perfected the ceramic recipe.
Cool, makes sense. Yea, I'd imagine now that they've somewhat gotten it down, it's not a reference they want to remove from the lineup.
Old 11 February 2023, 01:18 AM   #75
Eric-London
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgottsman11 View Post
My AD just told me this morning that the Day Date line is getting discontinued except for the white gold models
Lol so they're keeping the least popular DD's?
Eric-London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2023, 04:29 AM   #76
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Had a dream the BLNR will be replaced with the Coke red and black, you heard it here!
Old 11 February 2023, 06:51 AM   #77
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
The other option that nobody's speculated about:

Hold on the coke, discontinue the Pepsi, and make both BLNR and VTNR in both left and right-handed variants. Sort of like what was done with bracelets (initially, it was BLNR+O and BLRO+J).
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2023, 08:14 AM   #78
DAC2
Banned

Watch: Pt 228206 ice blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgottsman11 View Post
For REAL ? LOL interesting.
DAC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2023, 08:28 AM   #79
storm66
"TRF" Member

Get rid of the Cyclops on SeaDwellers…..should never of happened
storm66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2023, 11:46 AM   #80
gwozhog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm66 View Post
Maybe for the stainless version but the TT version the it looks fantastic.
Old 12 February 2023, 11:51 AM   #81
David5807
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric-London View Post
Lol so they're keeping the least popular DD's?
The minds behind Rolex work in mysterious ways
David5807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2023, 11:59 AM   #82
Jawnz
"TRF" Member

I hope they keep making the gmt lefty. It’s so odd that I could see them being one and one, but it’s prob a sign of more customization options to come.
Jawnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2023, 04:38 PM   #83
Tanalasta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Cool, makes sense. Yea, I'd imagine now that they've somewhat gotten it down, it's not a reference they want to remove from the lineup.

No one but Rolex knows

Daytona is perhaps due an update. Symmetrical lug moulds exist for PM. Not possible to realign dials without movement update.

Lefty GMT and green bezel tooling. More variations possible.

Permutations of dial colours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tanalasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2023, 05:21 PM   #84
rolexgs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm66 View Post
but in fact rolex has just get rid of the diver extension.
rolexgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2023, 06:45 PM   #85
Swiftneck
"TRF" Member

Rolex doesn't do 60-year anniversary model's, it's a GS/Omega thing. If they did, an anniversary with green dial every 10th year, we would only have green dial Rolex so no new SS Daytona. An update of the movement. Maybe.

They PM watches will be hard to sell in the current economic environment, so they might do some update on PM watches in general, to keep the sale going, and ensure prices on PM watches don't drop to much, both at AD's and on the secondary market.

Maybe a WG coke with a red dial, instead of one of the WG pepsi's. (It's the 40-year anniversary of both the coke and the gmt master II )

Sendt fra min SM-F711B med Tapatalk
Swiftneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2023, 06:51 PM   #86
Dmcnill
Banned

I think only Rolex can tell us, a lot have been said overtime on models to be discontinued but they still keep coming up and reappearing lets wait to hear from them.
Dmcnill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2023, 08:32 PM   #87
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Only Rolex can answer this for certain. Nevertheless, it is logical to suppose that a low QC success rate means it was not cost effective to sell it as part of a sub £10K watch. As the QC success rate increased, putting the BLRO insert on an SS model became cost effective. If Rolex were not making a significant profit on a watch they would not be selling it.

I was told by someone in the trade (although how much in the know they were is anybody's guess) that the original BLRO insert was costing Rolex around £1K per item because so many were rejected.I'd say that's too high even for a full WG GMT Master but what do I know?
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote